[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Donnie Darko

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

Somehow never got around to watching it.

Which version should I watch?
People online seem to say that it only makes sense if you watch Director's Cut, but are they just stupid? Which version is better, Theatrical or Director's Cut?
>>
Bumping because I'm in the same situation.
>>
>>83014350
Watch both faggot
>>
Directors. Adds clarity and improves narrative structure.

Take it easy, let the world suck you in.
>>
Naaaaah, the real strength of this entire movie is the mystique of the original cut. Directors cut was explanatory which killed that.
>>
I usually appreciate Director's Cuts, even when unpopular like Apocalypse Now I think they work better, but it has been pretty well established at this point Donnie Darko was an accident and Richard Kelly is a hack. Watch the original cut. If you're not still in highschool you probably won't like it though.
>>
Donnie darko is one of those movies that is really good, until you understand it and realize it's actually trash.

Give the original cut a watch and try not to over think it.
>>
>>83014350
>it only makes sense if you watch Director's Cut

It only makes sense if you watch it like 5 times no matter what version you watch.
>>
>>83017340

Southland Tales is a masterpiece. The far better film.
>>
This is one of those guilty pleasures for me, I feel like such a shmuck for still loving it at 26 but I watch anyway.
>>
>>83014350
You are not missing anything. Don't bother.
>>
>>83014350
When I was in high school the teacher played this for us at the end of the year in grade 11. I remember just sleeping through it because it was boring as fuck. That teacher was a nice old lady but she was pretty cool and showed us Blade Runner too, which I also slept through.
>>
>>83014350
Director's cut is shit. Original cut is the only cut worth watching
>>
>>83014350
It always felt like it had a dissatisfying conclusion to me. Like there was potential for something really profound but it didn't quite hit it.

Still a good movie though.
>>
>>83014350
Director's Cut. The character beats and fantastic atmosphere will hit you regardless of which cut you watch, but the DC makes the mechanics of the sci-fi elements more clear.
>>
>>83014350

DC is the brainlet version. theatrical is kino.
>>
>>83014350
Directors cut is the reddit cut
>>
>>83018532
Blade Runner can replace sleeping pills
If I ever need to sleep I just put it on lay on my bed and fall asleep 5 minutes in
works better than pills
>>
>>83021491
thanks for the advice, gonna try this
>>
>>83017622
>Donnie darko is one of those movies that is really good, until you understand it and realize it's actually trash.
lol
explain further please
>>
Watch the Theatrical Cut they leave Never Tear Us Apart in the opening
>>
>>83014350
>>83015071
watch the original with the OG soundtrack, it's much better

watch the directors cut after if you still give a shit
>>
File: 1475268011690.jpg (32KB, 540x543px) Image search: [Google]
1475268011690.jpg
32KB, 540x543px
>>83021964
>in the opening
FUCK I've just realised the red car driving by as Donnies rides back hom is Frank's
this movie will never cease to amaze me
>>
File: 1408511684680.jpg (21KB, 403x195px) Image search: [Google]
1408511684680.jpg
21KB, 403x195px
>tfw no QT schoolgirl outfit jena malone GF

"Why are you wearing that stupid Feels suit?"
>>
>>83014350
I got hyped up into it being a severly complex time travel movie, in reality it's very dumb.
>>
>>83017732
NO IT FUCKING DOESN'T, THIS ISN'T TRUE.

I watched it, I expected it to be complicated it wants, all that you need to do is that the words of the book and correlate them 1:1 with what happened it the novel.

If you want a complicated tima travel movie go watch Primer you low IQ pleb
>>
i mean, whats the point of living if you don't have a dick?
>>
File: image.png (28KB, 354x286px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
28KB, 354x286px
Real answer.

The theatrical version is the better film, and you will enjoy it more. The editing is much better and the score is perfect.

The directors cut explains the "story" better, but is a worse film.
>>
File: 780 - Karmic Programming.png (340KB, 896x381px) Image search: [Google]
780 - Karmic Programming.png
340KB, 896x381px
>>83023788
excuse me, you need to go back to grad school
>>
>>83022422
>jena malone
>>
>>83017732
I never got how it was supposed to be a complicated thing
deep, sure, weird, sure, hard to follow, kind of, but not complicated
by the time the credits were over I got it just fine: Donnie is somehow in tune with time itself and the old lady's book is real and correct and Donnie loops back at the end, and in so doing (and being really happy he succeeded) he dies, which averts all the bad things that were supposed to happen, which different people have varying recollections as to having happened
come to think of it Donnie's like the Primaries in the 12 Monkeys TV series, I wonder if they consciously or intentionally drew inspiration from the movie for that
>>
you have to realize that every scene and every thing in the movie is a symbol / hint / path that lets donnie succeed

if 1 small thing didnt happen, then the whole plan would be messed up.

such as donnie's GF not falling asleep during the movie or donnie not finding the guy's wallet
>>
>>83025583
Donnie didn't need to die to fix things.
>>
>>83026065
it's debatable
I'd like to think not but given how dark the movie is I think he believed that and it may have been required
>>
>>83021322
We both know if they tried to do anything super profound it would have been cringey as fuck. I'm glad they ended it how they did. All memes aside I still think this is a good movie but I wouldn't admit it publicly, kind of like saying your favorite movie is Fight Club just makes you sound like a loser
>>
>>83017149
I agree 100%, watched the directors cut for the first time a few weeks ago and it killed the mystery of it all
>>
File: s darko.jpg (47KB, 366x500px) Image search: [Google]
s darko.jpg
47KB, 366x500px
Donnie Darko is for reddit plebs.

S. Darko is for patricians.
>>
>>83026926
Man please delete this, I've never been so appalled by an unnecessary sequel in my life
>>
>>83017622
Theatrical makes you want to know more. That's the rub.

Also at risk of being called old. I love how they captured the 80s. Damn, the music and the atmosphere is pure nostalgia.
>>
>>83025149
If only she could have stayed 14 forever.
>>
>fuget it dawnie it's a mad wurld

what did grandma death mean by this?
>>
>yfw you realize its yet another huge movie Seth Rogan was in
>>
>>83021931
Nothing is really fully explained. Have you played dark souls? Imagine if miyazaki made up some stupid way souls worked and said that's what it was all along. Take the cool interpretations you can get out of dark souls and replace that with a completely arbitrary system that doesn't really make sense, and that's what the directors cut is to the og film.

The movie is also loved by pretentious people, I would know, I was one
>>
why is there a music video in the middle of the movie?
>>
Director's Cut had a better soundtrack.
>>
File: donnie darko party3.webm (455KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
donnie darko party3.webm
455KB, 1280x720px
why was he buried in Gretchen's chest/wasiet at this point?

was he staring at her energy trails?
>>
>>83028496
The director probably thought it was important. I guess ADHD fags need their 20 songs in ten minutes that only play for 5 seconds each.
>>
This is one of those films that, if you are in your midtwenties and mention it to others in the same age group, a handful will recognize the title and shit themselves with how fucking cool you and them are because of your "obscure" tastes, in relation to the others present, who dickride the MCU. Anyone who spazzes out at this film doesn't even know Tarkovsky or anything more entry-level kino. Basically Donnie Darko is a good gateway film, but only if you let it be so. If you treat it as the end-all, be-all of K I N O, you will forever be ruined as a normalfag pleb

sorry for poor english and memes
>>
File: donnie darko asembly.jpg (216KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
donnie darko asembly.jpg
216KB, 1920x1080px
who was right?
>>
>>83030336
Donnie. The world isn't cut and dry.

Also DD qualifies as capeshit. Donnie is literally a hero with superpowers of sorts.
>>
>>83023185
>says low iq pleb
>proceeds to make an incoherent sentence full of grammar mistakes
>>
>>83030161
I'm pardoning your poor English, but what the fuck are you talking about? It's a known movie.
>>
i watched the one with the director and kevin smith talking about it. the director himself didnt seem to have any insight into his own fucking movie.
>>
>>83023185
>complicated tima travel movie go watch Primer
If your shitty writting didn't give it away, I would have thought you were trolling with such a retarded statement.
>>
Just watched it, so was donnies gf and donnies mom the same person?
>>
>>83033056
No. Remember in the end they all wake up weirded out or crying. Donnie's gf feels attachment for a guy she never met and his grieving mother.
>>
>>83033056
NO, SHE HAD A SUBCONSCIOUS RECOLLECTION OF dONNIE IN THE TANGENT UNIVERSE
>>
>>83027755
As a teenager it's so easy to fall in love with her character, especially how they put love on a pedestal in the story
>>
File: 1495387458487.gif (689KB, 266x199px) Image search: [Google]
1495387458487.gif
689KB, 266x199px
>>83033468
>>83033830
Ahh okay, I feel like the movie kinda sucks now that I know this shit.
>>
>>83014350

I loved this film as a kid, it must have been shit as I barely remember anything.
>>
>>83023185

>Primer

You have to go back.
>>
>>83035013
Not an argument
>>
>>83026926
I thought that was canceled
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.