[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

War/Military Movies & Films

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

So, I've rewatched Full Metal Jacket about 4 or 5 times now. I love it in every single way imaginable, probably because I just have a hard-on for any Kubrick film, but this one just went above and beyond. I've always had a huge interest in the Vietnam war, and consider it my "favorite" war, just because of the circumstances. WW2 has been done to death, modern military movies always seem too much of the same, but Vietnam movies are just a different beast. It was a horrible war, and I love how FMJ portrays just how awful it was for everyone involved.

I'm not huge into movies, but I'm already downloading Apocalypse Now and Platoon and plan on watching them tonight. I just came here to ask if there are any similar movies to FMJ, movies that show that sort of progression. The chapters of FMJ are brilliant IMO, starting with boot camp you feel like you're actually part of the experience from the beginning.

Are there any other movies that accomplish this as well as FMJ does? I don't know the general consensus on the film here, but I'd love to hear of any similar movies out there I should be watching.

Also, the end of the boot camp chapter of FMJ is fucking amazingly done. I love seeing the progression of Pyle's emotions and overall psyche, and ultimately the break in the end. Hoping to see more films like that.
>>
Is this an actual post about a movie or is this a copypasta?

Nobody actually talks about movies and TV on here

But i agree, I love FMJ
>>
Major Payne, kek
>>
>>82946348
This picture was right next to the Vin/Rock one in the catalog. Got me thinking.
>>
File: 51P2RVVCH9L.jpg (55KB, 351x500px) Image search: [Google]
51P2RVVCH9L.jpg
55KB, 351x500px
I'm curious what /tv/ thinks of pic related
>>
>>82949034
I liked this film to be honest. Alotta people told me it was gay as shit and there wasn't enough war in it, to that my response to them was are you a fucking idiot?
>>
Full Metal Jacket is undeniably amazing, definitely my favorite film about war.
>>
whats some Vietnam Kino?
>>
Platoon is way less subtle and more hackneyed and political than FMJ. I won't spoil it but it's an incredibly one sided hippie-ish take on the conflict though I would still recommend watching it.
>>
>>82950109

Yeah that seems like half the point.

I read the book and it's obvious they lightened it up alot though. For instance, his gf had already cheated on him while he was in boot camp, and he had cheated on her with a Jap and Vietnamese girl, among others like prostitutes. Nobody ever reprimands him for threatening to kill the one guy either.

It's a pity they couldn't portray the somewhat-alien morality and mindset of a marine, else it'd alienate the fuck out of people.
>>
File: WWB.jpg (6KB, 124x186px) Image search: [Google]
WWB.jpg
6KB, 124x186px
Check this film out, I absolutely loved it. Not entirely a war film but the most original film that covers that topic. Story is center around a young man's involvement in the Palestinian war.
>>
>>82950321
Totally forgot about the Jap hookers in the book, that's about the part I got to before I stopped reading the book, think I lost it.
That would be good if they could portray that, but the only ones who would truly understand it are the ones who went through that kind of shit.
>>
File: WWB.jpg (169KB, 572x800px) Image search: [Google]
WWB.jpg
169KB, 572x800px
>>82950354

Seconding this with a poster that isn't for ants

I wish more films were animated for the sake of it.
>>
>>82951580
Sorry about the shit poster desu, just got excited about getting the word out bout this masterpiece of film
>>
>>82952377

That's fair, even if it is Jewish propaganda
>>
>>82952403
Most of Hollywood is anyways, at least it's independent propaganda.
>>
/v/ I know thats you, The Vietnam game is fucking trash
>>
>>82946348
apocalypse now, I almost feel, would benefit from being a TV series, to meditate on each segment.

Seriously, my favorite Copolla.
>>
AN and Platoon are by far the best ones. I love Kubrick and FMJ but I think theyre both better than FMJ. Born on the 4th of July is good until the second half and then it gets so head up its own ass preachy it becomes painful to watch. Goodmorning Vietnam is alright, I dont like Robin Williams when hes trying to be funny, but when the movie gets to the more drama parts its really good. Deer Hunter wasnt too bad if you dont mind longer movies, very character based.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.