[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Convince Me that Wild Wild West was a Bad Film

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: Wild_wild_west_poster.jpg (44KB, 300x404px) Image search: [Google]
Wild_wild_west_poster.jpg
44KB, 300x404px
I loved this movie when I was 11, and it still seems like it would be pretty good. I remember it being funny and liking the steampunk stuff. I don't remember ever hearing anyone defend this one, but no one ever says why, so convince me it's as bad as everyone says it is.
>>
>>82936759
It's Will Smith's only good movie.
>>
File: 1495107425722.jpg (64KB, 925x820px) Image search: [Google]
1495107425722.jpg
64KB, 925x820px
WWW is kino
>>
It's conceptually flawed because it casts the Confederates as the villains.
>>
>>82936775
That's a filthy lie he was decent in men in black
>>
It is objectively kino.
>>
>>82936759
still have a collectible burger king plastic cup from the movie. i like to drinking kool aid out of it on a hot summer day
>>
This shit has a 100 mill budget, what the fuck. I guess they have some big stars, and nice SFX, but fuck is the script bad.
>>
File: 398.png (151KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
398.png
151KB, 450x300px
>>82937076
>>
>>82937947
Shut up nigger lover.
>>
>>82938080
>>
>>82937947
Slavery was as much an issue being fought over in the American War of Independence as it was in the Civil War, it's just the slavers won the former.
>>
It didn't have eniugh diversity, having no gender fluid characters makes it pretty hetero-normative.

Also I can't even remember the scene where Will Smith has implied sex with the white Hispanic Selma Hayek, implicitily freeing him from mental and emotional bonds that all black people carry with them to this day.
>>
>>82938142
I don't want to debate that and frankly I don't give a shit. I want to know why this particular film is so hated. Also no one who says it's bad says so for negatively portraying Confederates. So tell me why it's a dumb movie, or take your insecurities back to /pol/.
>>
>>82936759
>>82938723

I'll give you an honest answer OP.

Basically the cheese aspect is what hurt the movie. Hollywood and the average moviegoer had reached a point where anything over the top and corny was instantly seen as bad or laughable. There are a few exceptions, but if you wanted to be a big budget action film, going anywhere near camp was a death warrant. A lot of people blame the failure of Batman and Robin as the start of this backlash against zany high thrills comedy action. This is why in the following years action movies and big tentpoles either became grounded or more mature. Once the Matrix hit, we were officially in a new era where stuff like Wild Wild West was seen as childish and stupid.

I actually don't hate the movie. It's enjoyable and good for some laughs. Also dat Salma.
>>
File: 5e5.png (47KB, 200x202px) Image search: [Google]
5e5.png
47KB, 200x202px
>>82939350
Thanks anon. So more a backlash against the culture of the times?
>>
>>82938723
>your insecurities

>tries to shut the conversation down the minute the suggestion the South might have been right is raised
>>
>>82939476
Yeah pretty much. This happens all the time and is pretty cyclical. It happened in the mid to late 70's when Hollywood shifted from more quiet character driven McCabe and Mrs. Miller type films to blockbusters like Jaws and the like. Attitudes shift and trends go up and down.
>>
>>82939498
I didn't make the thread to argue about the Civil War. But if you want me to testify, then I don't think the South was wrong and the North was right. My point is that I wanted to stick to the discussion before everything inevitably derailed into a /pol/ thread.
>>
Op: https://youtu.be.com/g6aleKfM_AA
>>
>>82939609
You've seen McCabe and Mrs. Miller? I thought I was the only one.
>blockbusters
Do you think there will ever be a shift away from blockbusters in a way similar to how Hollywood shifted in 1967 away from Golden Age film code films and how it shifted to blockbusters after Jaws?
I have this cynical thought that culture is kind of done evolving insofar as making giant leaps.
>>
>>82939350
>Also dat Salma.
>>
>>82936759
WE'RE GOING
STRAIGHT TO
THE
WILD
WILD
WEST
>>
File: 1.gif (1MB, 245x368px) Image search: [Google]
1.gif
1MB, 245x368px
>>82939807
A few years ago I thought so, but with the advent of streaming becoming so huge and the whispers of same day stream releases of studio films for a larger fee... I have no clue anymore. If tentpole films that are fuck huge blockbuster special effects extravaganzas start to fail, then maybe. But it seems like even that doesn't matter anymore. Everything is now so viewer driven with the amount of choice one has with the streaming platforms. You're seeing movies that would once have been only shown in a theater now go VOD. It's anyone's guess.

The general feeling that a lot of directors are putting out is that movie theaters will be for the HUGE big budget films where people want an experience, and the rest you can just enjoy from your own home.

Personally, I think a shift is coming. What kind? Who knows.

>>82940199
DAMN STRAIGHT!
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.