[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ghost in the Shell

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 10

File: gits.jpg (489KB, 1280x704px) Image search: [Google]
gits.jpg
489KB, 1280x704px
I thought it was alright.
My biggest problem is was that they removed the whole AI wanting to procreate instead of just copy thing, and replaced it with a more generic rebel vs government theme.

Surprised it lost so much money, its on par with the Marvel films at least.
Was it the whitewashing asian characters thing that caused it?

Also GitS franchise thread.
>>
>>82924210
they made it more stupid for general american audience and a perverse alliance of SJW with weeaboos wanting to hate it because "whitewashing".

its one of the better movies of the recent months and miles better than any marvel or dc capeshit.
>>
>>82924210
i do not consent to this thread
>>
File: scopedog.jpg (69KB, 736x681px) Image search: [Google]
scopedog.jpg
69KB, 736x681px
>>82924210
I still can't get over the fact they made her NV goggles look like a fucking Scopedog head.
>>
File: 1493523199271.png (132KB, 540x301px) Image search: [Google]
1493523199271.png
132KB, 540x301px
>>82924210
I think it would have been a lot better without scarjo, I've never really been a fan of her and I feel like the only reason she was casted was just to have a big name attached to it.
>>
They dumbed it down to make it easier for normies, thus making the most generic story possible. Now, neither fans nor normies had any reason to watch it.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 1280x720px
It needed to be digestible for a broader audience and maintain the current dialogue of Western society as of now.

It needs to be relevant if it's to sell tickets. Certain themes need to remain at the forefront of people's consciousness, and that consciousness is guided by way of the media. Information warfare and cyber terrorism are also relevant today and it just wouldn't be GiTS without these.

Many will complain about it having been dumbed-down.

>b-but it was inferior to 2nd GiG

While that was indeed the peak of the franchise (imho)it picks up assuming you already have a rudimentary understanding of Masamune's visionary backdrop. What part of any of it is directed to the regular moviegoer? To the layman, so to speak.

The Puppetmaster's motives and Kusanagi's 'consent' to merge into a new life form capable of death and procreation-as-opposed-to-replication; parents go to see this movie with they kids, good luck explaining any of that to he little bastards. That would be like explaining how Wintermute + Neuromancer = several bodiless entities who resemble Voudou gods in their dealings with mortals.

People want an accurate Hideo Kuze, but we're not supposed to sympathize the terrorist THAT much. Anyways, good movie. I like it enough to buy the Bluray.
>>
>>82925691
>>82925891
If they wanted to do that (make it politically topical for its release year) they would've made the protag and antagonist past lives be some antifa protesters with red scarfs, that the oppressive government attacked to reuse for body parts.
Also they would've pushed the refugee boat and terrorist attack angle further than they did, and it was even abandoned and revealed to be a lie in the movie.

I think it was a genuine and honest attempt, and not a cynical cash grab.
>>
>>82925691

Fans, we HAD our movie. They called "The New Movie". Normies will just have to wait for Akira.
>>
>>82926076
But the new movie was just mixing scenes from the past movies and the show.
>>
I just saw this last night, and I enjoyed it for the visuals, music, and scarjo in tight clothes. Script was a big disappointment, luckily I knew that going in so wasn't expecting much. 3/5.
>>
>>82926472
>music
When I saw it there wasn't any music until the credits.
>>
>>82924210
> strip a property of all its philosophy and nuance
> repackage it with flashy visuals and a generic plot

Reminded me of another American anime adaptation.
>>
>>82927324
Can't get over that hair
>>
>>82927226

Good choice of song for the end credit I'll say. The percussion/ breathing vocals left people walking out with looks on their faces like 'wtf did I just watch'.
>>
>>82925604
>the only reason she was casted was just to have a big name attached to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=747cvo8Lkjw
You're absolutely right, kiddo.
>>
>>82924210
Fridgebod Kino.
>>
>>82927324
>dragonball
>philosophy and nuance
>>
>>82924210
I knew she wouldn't go nude for those scenes. Should've found someone who would've.
>>
>>82924210
My biggest problem is casting scarjo. And not at least making her get in shape when she was casted.
Rest was fine. Surprisingly better than what I expected based on the trailers and marketing around it.
>>
>>82927864
this. It was ok except for two butchered scenes: roof chase and spider tank. It was awful
>>
>>82925604
the name is what helps get people to see it who would otherwise not give a shit. i went in spite of the fact that she was starring in it. luckily she didn't give a terrible performance, but i wish the movie would have stayed closer to the deeper elements of the source.
>>
>>82924210
There was no whitewashing here friend
>>
>>82924210
Trailer was full of laughably stupid cliche dialogue and didn't feel like GITS at all, and ScarJo is fat and ugly, the notion that she is attractive is a meme. No interest in ever watching this piece of shit.
>>
>>82927864 >>82926472
i thought Scarlett fine in the movie but my problem was Rupert sanders
>>
It lost so much money, because anime is for fucking kids. And no on watches anime who has a real life lol.

TLDR : Anime is shit, and no one fucking cares

add in - the movie was fucking bad, nothing happened, just constant "edgy CGI"
>>
>>82927486

>>Ever listening to a word this massive faggot says
>>
>>82929162
>anime is for fucking kids
>no one fucking cares
>edgy CGI

You appear to be a moron. I'm sorry. Is this also you >>82929187
>>
>>82924210
>Was it the whitewashing asian characters thing that caused it?

Fucking NO.

It was a live action adaptation of a fucking Japanese manga/anime. It was never going to be successful. It's niche as fuck. The only people who know about GitS are not even going to see your movie adaptation because it's "not like muh animes" so you've already lost the source fanbase.

It baffles me to see people unironically think that if you replaced the biggest A list female action star of all time with a random fucking literally who gook actress that the movie would have made MORE money?!

Insane.
>>
>>82929347
The film probably WOULD have done better if it had taken more chances and stepped away from being generic Hollywood schlock. People aren't going to turn up in their millions to see generic action movie #298732 starring generic uncharismatic movie star #83468264893
>>
>>82929945
And that has nothing to do with casting a generic Z list gook
>>
>>82929960
I'm not talking about the "whitewashing" bullshit, they just should have gone with a less famous actress who was better suited to the role.
>>
>>82924210
I loved it. Way better than Alien: Covenant
>>
>>82924210
I can tell you rarely leave the house. No normal person cares about this, it's a self-contained internet controversy

It lost money because of poor marketing and it looked like a sequel to Lucy
>>
>>82929945
>stepped away from being generic Hollywood schlock
since when is this a formula for making more money

> People aren't going to turn up in their millions to see generic action movie #298732 starring generic uncharismatic movie star #83468264893
uh...
>>
>>82929347
>the biggest A list female action star of all time
>scarjo
>>
>>82930113
>hey money man, i want to make a ghost in the shell movie!!!
>"fuck off, it won't sell"
>movie doesn't get made

>hey money man, i want to make a scarlet johanson sci-fi action movie!
>"hmm, okay, here's some cash, better return it with interest!"
>movie gets made
>>
>>82924210

Honestly I would've saw it in theaters if I wasn't told consistently that "nobody but you has a problem with the casting." I'll never understand why shills think it's a good idea to alienate the original fanbase.
>>
File: 67890ghted.jpg (144KB, 682x600px) Image search: [Google]
67890ghted.jpg
144KB, 682x600px
>>82927324
>dragonball
>philosophy and nuance
>>
>>82930305
Yep, and the failure of the movie illustrates how wrong that line of thinking is.
>>
>>82930382
Has it launched in China already? Maybe it will make its money there.
>>
>>82925511
>>82929162
>>82929347
>>82924210

Nothing to do with it being an anime adaptation, and even less to do with "whitewashing" or whatever

This flick had extremely poor marketing. No interesting or memorable trailers, no hype, no major promotion. The one potential saving grace would be the A-list star doing extensive promotion but even that couldn't help in this case. Hell, even inn the trailers ScarJo looked like she didn't want to be there.

>but what about Lucy? Isn't that the same thing?

No. Lucy's trailer is interesting, well-edited, distinct style and imagery that make you remember it, has a very simple premise (chick named Lucy gains access to mind powers). GITS' trailer is confusing, the title is confusing, nothing about it is memorable, the concept is confusing (what's a Ghost in a Shell? Is she a robot? is this Japan? What's happening?).

The reason it failed was like 80% in the marketing.
>>
>>82927486
To defend your point....This is who you post. You faggot. Kys.
>>
I'm a big fan of both gits and Oshii and this had none of the appeal of either. I lost interest halfway through, it was completely detached of the source materials, and would have been terrible even with a good major actor. Though I'm glad to hear kamiyama and aramaki are coming back to a new project
>>
>>82930728
>The reason it failed was like 80% in the marketing.

No, Lucy was Scarlet flesh off Marvel fame. But it was a shit movie. And Scarlet's strength as an action lead instantly wore off. If Gits was the first film for SJ after marvel it would have done better.
>>
>>82930903
The point isn't the quality of the film, I'm talking marketing. The promotion for Lucy was far superior to that of GITS, hence why it succeeded and GITS didn't.
>>
>>82930728
This, and also just in how generic it looks.
Don't cover your cyberpunk science fiction vistas up with a blue filter, it won't attract any audience.
>>
I riked it and I never watched the anime

The final battle was lame tho
>>
File: 1458604354132.jpg (93KB, 396x594px) Image search: [Google]
1458604354132.jpg
93KB, 396x594px
>>82929347

Edge of Tomorrow vs Ghost in the Shell:

> both manga based adaptations
> one dumbed its plot down for a mass audience
> one maintained its plot and was critically well-received and has near cult status
> both underperformed at the box office

Hollywood should learn something from this...but it probably won't...
>>
>>82930903
>The point isn't the quality of the film

I'm not saying Lucy was better or worse. Both films were shit, it's just that people THOUGHT after Marvel Scarlet could carry an action film on her own. Lucy wore off SJ's stardom as an action hero.
>>
>>82931374

(Cont'd) Edge of Tomorrow is getting a sequel.
>>
File: 1493334075129.jpg (23KB, 435x495px) Image search: [Google]
1493334075129.jpg
23KB, 435x495px
Scarlett "Fattu Piggu" Johansen is such a horrible actress. She is the will Smith of actresses, and by that I mean, she acts the same in every movie
>>
>>82924210
if only her real body looked like that
>>
>>82924210
>My biggest problem is was that they removed the whole AI wanting to procreate instead of just copy thing, and replaced it with a more generic rebel vs government theme.
So your biggest problem was that it was completely different than the animu? huh
>>
This is the first film I almost walked out before the end. Maybe I would have if I was alone.
>>
>>82931374
Edge Of Tomorrow didn't underperform to anywhere near the same extent as GITS.
>>
>>82931453
what the picture from ?
>>
File: robocop-watches.jpg (475KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
robocop-watches.jpg
475KB, 1280x720px
It was so bland is was essential Robocop, Least it was better than the Robocop remake. Motoko was shit, Batou was better than expected but looked shit, They were all shit. Nice looking city but it felt more like a generic cyberpunk city
>>
>>82931515
considering the movie rips off just about every scene from the first movie, in order, but changes the story to something completely retarded, yea, that's a pretty valid complaint.
>>
Movie was shit and cheap

The only good movie was
GITS innocence

It had 2 of the best character and had a satisfying story
Plus the animation was good and the music
>>
>>82934771
innocence was shit and a bore fest
>>
>>82935508
How could you say that
So your telling me the first movie wasn't boring and the new movie
Also the that other animated movie nobody seen
>>
>>82935551
idk, i saw the first one several times and liked it a lot every time

innocence was just boring dialogues with a bunch of quotes shoehorned in to seem smart, will probably not watch ever again
>>
>>82931167
also this
>>
Now the dust is settled can we agree Ghost in the Shell 2017 was direct to video tier
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.