[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alien:Covenant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 30

File: IMG_1030.jpg (75KB, 620x930px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1030.jpg
75KB, 620x930px
I just got out of the theater from seeing this at the early Thursday showing before it's released tomorrow here in the States and honestly as a avid long time Alien fan this movie was just Meh.

Was it better than Prometheus? Hell yea! Was it better than the other 4 Alien films. FUCK NO! Expect something better than Prometheus but worse than Alien 3 and Alien:Resurrection.
>>
>>82915303
I thought it just felt like Prometheus 2 except xenos turn up. Had a lot of the same problems with character development and pacing.
The little white xenos were much more interesting than the actual ones. They seemed deadlier at every stage of the lifecycle too.
Ultimately it was just not that great a movie really, but you're fucking nuts to say it was worse than Alien: Resurrection.
>>
what if you have never watched any of the movies but want to see this one ?
>>
>>82915449
It references Prometheus heavily and you'll be pretty lost without having seen it.
I don't think there's much to get out of the movie if you're not a big Alien fan, though some things might not piss you off as much.
>>
>>82915303
Glad I didn't see it, Ridley has fallen from grace.
>>
>>82915303
>worse than Alien 3 and Alien:Resurrection.
Resurrection was complete ASS
>>
>>82915303
This is easily the most reasonable reaction to voting a film that's not that good
>>
>>82915702
Agreed.
>>
>Alien 3 was good
>The SW prequels were good

I'm starting to think that in a few years, /tv/ is going to start calling the Hobbit movies "underrated gems".
>>
>>82915881
but they are.
>>
just saw it. god damn it sucked so fucking hard.
>>
Fassbender single handily made the movie amazing to watch.

When he started playing the Prometheus theme on the flute, I broke a smile.

I miss great musical callbacks
>>
File: 1491027168499.jpg (23KB, 337x367px) Image search: [Google]
1491027168499.jpg
23KB, 337x367px
>Release two scenes as "prologues" on Youtube early for hype
>One is continuation from Prometheus and the other is the introduction to all the characters
>Neither of which are in the movie
>The only scene with character building isn't in the movie
>James Franco dies within the first 5 minutes and his only lines are from an old Ipad video
>None of the questions from Prometheus are answered or even reintroduced in any way; infact they're forgotten and discarded
>BIG FUCKING SPOILER: seriously Elizabeth Shaw is killed offscreen by David for unknown reasons and is never explored

These are some of the most perplexing creative decisions I have ever seen. Easily the worst by a capable director in recent memory.
>>
>>82916394
I completely forgot about that James Franco thing since he's on-screen for about ten seconds. That was really jarring in a movie that mostly didn't have well known actors in it.
>>
>>82916394
what are you retarded, she was killed to further David's experiments because she was the only living thing left to experiment on
>>
>>82917756
His creative impulses were stronger than his love for her.
>>
File: 1493801452419.jpg (25KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1493801452419.jpg
25KB, 641x530px
all I wanted from this movie was for David to turn Shaw into some kind of 90's hentai birthing queen abomination

and it kind of delivered so this movie is alright by me, would have preferred if she was still alive begging for death but I'll take what I got
>>
How did he have eggs but no queen?

Where did the embryos come from?

I thought the black goo infected people with monsters and shit, now is turns them into black statues?
>>
>>82917756
Different Anon, but when David said he was missing one secret ingredient to complete his experiments to the original Captain, he was implying it's a human host right?
What was Shaw's mutilated corpse meant to be then?
>>
>>82917828
>thought the black goo infected people with monsters and shit, now is turns them into black statues?
Ridley flat out forgot about this. With the Prometheus logic: we should've had a bunch of biological monstrosities and the Engineers infested with something-morphs.
>>
>>82917902
Well, there was a bunch of different monstrosities.
Remember that thing without a face that bites that girl's head off in the only truly creepy part of the movie?
>>
File: LockeFire.gif (2MB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
LockeFire.gif
2MB, 250x200px
>>82917824

Missed opportunity to show her screaming for help when David initially started his experimentation with her foaming at the mouth and cursing him and going insane from the sheer horror of it.

Then later when the Covenant crew arrives Shaw is a willing participant after being completely mindbroken and she just sits there shitting out alien eggs with David combing her hair. Then Walter just incinerates her before she can even speak. But in that last seconds of her life you can tell for a brief moment she thought they finally came to save her. And then the flames engulf her grotesque form.
>>
>>82917828
black goo is basically a biological WMD designed to kill anything it touches

first movie established though if you water it down it only turns you into a biological abomination

David explained he infected some alien parasites on the planet with black goo that infected animal life on the planet, at some point those things birthed the eggs but he couldn't continue experimenting because there was nothing left to experiment on
>>
>>82917973
I wish I knew you in real life, I think we could be friends
>>
>>82918056

You do the blowing, and I'll finger.
>>
>>82915881
Alien 3 is not hated because is bad
Is hated because kills off screen Newt and hicks, also, because its nothing like Aliens
>>
Alien resurrection killed the franchise m8
>>
>>82918523
whats the fucking problem with killing characters offscreen? will it make the movie better if you see them screaming around while they die?
>>
>>82918622
It's film school story telling. cheep.
>>
>>82918622

You get emotionally invested in the characters and want to see where the story takes them.
Having them unceremoniously killed offscreen between movies feels cheap and additionally is a poor way of just resetting Ripley's character instead of developing her further.
>>
>>82918523
Also IIRC the theatrical version was poorly put together from what I remember. Everybody always recommends the director's cut, which is why most people tend to see it in a better light nowadays.

>>82918622
It's shit because it invalidates the fact that they even survived Aliens to begin with. And then since Ripley dies in the end, it pretty much makes all the trial and hardships of Aliens worthless.
>>
>>82917845
He had to use her to perfect his monster int he first place. She was used as experimentation.
>>
>>82918523
The fucking director even says it's shit.
>>
>>82917845
The Queen?
>>
>>82915572
yet it does fuck all to touch up on anything that matters from prometheus other than shaw being dead which they do fuck all to explain that.
>>
Aliens > Alien > Prometheus > Covenant > 3 and Resurrection
>>
>>82917845
the secret ingredient was the captian himself for the alien to gestate

>>82918622
she was the main character and driving force behind the last movie. The only fucking reason david is on paradise at all is because of her.
>>82919181
im ashamed to say i agree with this for the most part
>>
>>82919181
>alien>aliens>covenant>prometheus>3>4
>>
File: 1352046500575.png (195KB, 497x496px) Image search: [Google]
1352046500575.png
195KB, 497x496px
All the normies in the theater hated it, including my gf and her family. They didn't see Prometheus so they couldn't fully appreciate David as a villain.

I thought it was pretty good.
>>
File: 1492941827345.jpg (22KB, 613x469px) Image search: [Google]
1492941827345.jpg
22KB, 613x469px
>>82915303
>mfw I realized it was basically Prometheus 2

All complaints about the plot aside, IMO the biggest problem was that it wasn't scary. At all. There was not a single moment I felt even a little bit stressed.
>>
File: 1470084590292.webm (1012KB, 406x454px) Image search: [Google]
1470084590292.webm
1012KB, 406x454px
>>82915303
Alien > Aliens > Covenant > Resurrection > Prometheus > Alien 3.

Come at me faggots
>>
>>82915881

They were better than lotr in every way
>>
>>82919441
>the movie where the big brightly lit cgi xenos die after twenty minutes of screentime and like one or two kills each above anything
wew lad
>>
My problems with the movie

>zero reason to care about the characters, suffers from "oops now this character is dead I guess" syndrome, seems the character interactions and shit was left out in editing/post, which is a shame
>Its obvious now that these new Alien movies are meant to explore David and his mind, but the movies don't SHOW or EXPLAIN enough of his motivations/goals/relationship with Shaw. Why did David kill the Engineers? Why did he kill Shaw when he supposedly loved her? Why does he DO ANYTHING other than the weak explanation that he wants to "create"

The movie by itself was a 7/10 but when I try to look at this movie as a franchise its looking like this isn't working. Hopefully the rest of the franchise will redeem these
>>
>>82919463
It was a Proto, not a Xeno, and it was far more threatening than anything in Aliens, 3 and 4 even with it being in bright daylight.

Not to mention those fucking Neomorphs, god damn those things were spooky as fuck.
>>
>>82919468
>Why did David kill the Engineers?

Because it's better to reign in hell than serve in Heaven.

>Why did he kill Shaw when he supposedly loved her?

She was the mother to his perfect new creation.
>>
>>82915763
And this movie is worse
>>
>>82919522
The big black monsters at the end are xenomorphs you fucking dunce.
The neomorphs ARE the proto-xenos.
>>
It makes sense David would kill of Shaw after a while but man, off screen and her mutated corpse is kinda just there? What the fuck? It feels like the mixed reaction to Prometheus made them drop the themes from it in favor of a more standard plotline
>>
Alien 3 was okay, at least it was a true Alien movie

Resurrection and everything after is shit

The Alien franchise died with the basketball scene
>>
>>82919744
Resurrection was a (stupid) fun last hurrah compared to everything that came after
>>
>>82919798
I disrespect your opinion. Alien is not about quippy fun times.
Different Anon by the way.
>>
>>82919468
>Why did David kill the Engineers?
This was most likely due to what the first engineer did to him. Part petty revenge over getting his body destroyed, but also curiosity to see just what the pathogen would do if unleashed on an entire planet and ecosystem.
>Why did he kill Shaw when he supposedly loved her?
Because he doesn't really understand love the way humans feel it Hence that weird kiss.. To me it felt like he thought Shaw's body being used as the genetic foundation for his experiments is a form of love. Imagine it as the highest honor he could bestow Shaw, be the Queen to his blasphemous brood.
>Why does he DO ANYTHING other than the weak explanation that he wants to "create"
It's like Walter said, David was made too human like, and has literally gone insane with a God complex. He had become the worst aspects of Weyland with no sense of human limitations like morality.
>>
>>82919616
You're wrong m8, the black ones are Protos. David hasn't yet achieved a full blown Xeno yet, so god knows how retarded strong they will be.

The Proto (black one) lacks the see through dome and bio-mechanical aesthetic, which means it's not complete yet.

I can almost guarantee the actual Xeno will have a mixture of David's android DNA to achieve the ultimate bio-mechanical form.
>>
>>82919836
I never said it was, I just said that the film was a stupid fun last hurrah for the franchise
>>
File: 1478658904947.png (497KB, 594x598px) Image search: [Google]
1478658904947.png
497KB, 594x598px
>>82919963
>David's android DNA

I... Don't think that's how it works.
>>
>>82919963
The fuck are you even talking about?
They're xenomorphs.
You've got no source so stop passing off your fan-theories like it's the secret intent behind the movie.
>>
>>82919352
This. There were really creepy things and some almost scary parts, but then it just ends all of a sudden
>>
On a philosophical level Covenant was good and provided answers to prometheus and the creation of "alien". However, Ridley Scott isnt even trying anymore. The first third of the film was the best, everything after the introduction of the new alien movie was awful. Horrible pacing, no tension, a fucking mortal kombat fight between the androids, not to mention the god awful CGI. I would even rank Alien Resurrection higher. The aliens even looked better and that was over 20 years ago. The birth of the alien and fuckig praising the sun was Ridley Scott metaphorically telling all of us that he gave up on movies and is ready to die. Idk what Scott or any of you were smoking but it must have been Mids. That was shit tier, the videogame Alien isolation even far exceeded that. 5/10 and thats being genrous.
>>
File: 05415bf02f997b6d4f1d2cbfeb52257c.jpg (577KB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
05415bf02f997b6d4f1d2cbfeb52257c.jpg
577KB, 2480x3508px
What cut of "Aliens" do I watch? Theatrical or 1990 special?
>>
>>82920046
Nothing was creepy, get some taste, shit sack
>>
>>82920046
I never realized how boring "everything goes exactly as planned" would be till I saw it for myself. The ONLY good part about the climax was how quickly it crossed the hanger to reach her.

>>82920037
To be fair, there's still no concrete "canon" on the Xeno's since every fucking movie they change it up. Hell, in the books they're all controlled by a telepathic red xeno queen or some shit.
>>
>>82920079
Special, just for the scene where Ripley learns of her daughter.
>>
>>82920110

You can just look that up on youtube afterwards. Like every Cameron movie, the theatrical one is the best because it has trimmed off all the unnecessary fat.
>>
>>82920160
It fits in perfectly with the motherhood theme of Aliens you pleb

>bruh just look it up on youtube! lmao
Never reply to my posts again
>>
>>82920037
You're an idiot if you think what was in Covenant is a Xenomorph.

Its structure and appearance is completely different.

>not bio-mechanical
>muscle tissue visible instead
>different teeth
>different dome
>far more aggressive and not as smart (actual Xenos never fight out in the open like that)
>came from a different kind of egg/facehugger

David is still evolving the species, we haven't yet reached the original Xenomorph form yet.

Deacon = Prometheus Xeno.
Neo = Covenant white Xeno.
Proto = Covenant black Xeno.
>>
>>82920085
The faceless appearance of the neomorph was creepy, also how it fucking mauls people
>>
>>82920231
That's not really creepy, xenomorph's don't really have a face. Are you still in your teens?
>>
File: 1487768675713.jpg (85KB, 426x341px) Image search: [Google]
1487768675713.jpg
85KB, 426x341px
>>82920231
That fucking heavy breathing of the Neomorph, spoopy as fuck.
>>
>>82920210
No, you're the idiot.
Those things are there because the movie handled the xenomorphs poorly. This is one of the main complaints with the movie.
There has been no consistent depiction of xenomorphs, you are way reading into things.
>>
File: engineer.jpg (185KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
engineer.jpg
185KB, 1280x720px
Let's talk about the only thing in this movie that really matters, the Engineers.

Who are they, why did they create humanity, why did David kill them, why was their city based on stone age technology with glowing rocks, why did they wear crude peasant clothing, why weren't there other ships to intercept David and Shaw, why did they make the black liquid, and other questions too?
>>
>>82920265
Xenomorphs don't really have a face true, but the neomorph at first glance didn't seem to have a even a mouth, until its face split open.
I'm 20
>>
>>82920340
These guys don't even look like Engineers.
>>
>>82920289
How dense are you m8?

The entire theme of Prometheus and now Covenant is evolving this creature into becoming the "perfect organism". This is literally what David has been trying to do, and he talked about it in the film while showing his various developments and progress of the creature.

The black Proto in Covenant is 100% not the final form, i.e the Xeno you see in the 1979 Alien. You can deny it all you want, you'll see when they next film comes out and remember back to me smiling at how much of a delusion retard you were.
>>
>>82920340
who knows? not us and certainly not Ridley

fuckin bastard

those are engineers, they look different because they didnt want to put 100 people through the same make up process. These are you bargin bin bulk buy engineers
>>
>>82920340
i read from another anon a while ago that they might be proto-humans, also created by engineers when they were still working out the kinks to finally create humans, which is why they look like mongrels instead of the greek god look that engineers have. makes sense to me desu
>>
>>82920340
>that eng wearing the flap hat
>>
>>82920452
They look more like beings the engineers created and would occasionally visit bestowing gifts or some shit.
>>
>>82920375
I was thinking about this, for all their biological experimentation, is it possible for the space jocket ones to be some kind of special engineered (haha) sub-race? Maybe made to handle extended periods in space or biological matter better?
Maybe Scott is just garbage
>>
>>82920375
>>82920452
Maybe the ones we saw in Prometheus were the alpha, prime examples of Engineers? Or maybe they were genetically modified? I still want answers to my other questions though, Ridley you asshole!
>>
File: 1355553149818.jpg (194KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1355553149818.jpg
194KB, 640x480px
Did David take Walter's clothes and cut his own hand off or did Walter decide he wanted to be the new David? He seemed a bit confused when Daniels mentioned the cabin.
>>
>>82920340
Yeah, how about, why the fuck did they turn the engineers from an interesting prop in Alien to a non-interesting race of "we need this to move the story along" characters?
>>
so was it David who created the xenomorphs or was it the engineers? Because from what I can tell, it seems to be pointing toward that direction.
>>
>>82920396
You are espousing a theory. The argument that you are making is excellent. But it could very very easily be wrong; the xenomorph changes could just be "creative diffetences" or something
>>
>>82920518
David became Walter
>>
>>82920494
then why did they have the EXACT same technology, language and architecture? not to mention the clothes from the elder engineers seen in the extended prometheus opening?
>>
>>82920518
wALTER iS nOT dEAD

in the next film he'll probably take the flute and pilot the engineer ship to the planet that they originally went to, to confront david and save the mission
>>
>>82920547
In the new alien movies after this one I'm sure they will explain how the Engineers got a hold of Davids Xenos

At least I hope
>>
>>82920518
Yes, he took his clothes and severed his hand. Why the fuck do you think his skin couldn't even regenerate?
>B-b-but Walter couldn't regenerate his hand
Because his shit was melted and fused together by the alien acid
>>
>>82920587
B8?
>>
Alien=Aliens>Covenant>Prometheus>Alien 3>Resurrection
>>
>>82920557

because they developed the "proper" way while humans were a failure
>>
>>82919287
This is accurate
>>
The last 20 minutes (the two action scenes) are the worst part of this franchise, way worse than anything in Alien: Revengence. The first big one is like everything you could do wrong with the series distilled into a single sequence. Its like some king of perfect organism of shit.
>>
>>82920627
In September 2015, Ridley Scott revealed he was planning two sequels to Prometheus, which would lead into the first Alien film, even adding: "Maybe [there will] even [be] a fourth film before we get back into the Alien franchise."[64][65] In November 2015, Scott confirmed that Alien: Covenant would be the first of three more films before linking up with original Alien, thus starting a new trilogy of sci-fi films
>>
File: Suicide.gif (1MB, 240x260px) Image search: [Google]
Suicide.gif
1MB, 240x260px
>>82920683
>>
>>82920587
I'm just wondering how those eggs will tie in with the eggs in the first alien, seeing as how in prometheus, the biological weapons were vases, not eggs
>>
>>82920651
thats a bit of a stretch. and at the end of prometheus shaw ask david to take them to "where they come from", why would david lie/change the course to some engineer knock off planet

them being a sub race or something is just dumb and senseless to the plot.

I think it makes a lot more sense they just didnt feel like painting a ton of people all blue and making them wear black contacts for a scene that last less than a minute or two
>>
>>82917973
Jesus Christ...
>>
Shit movie. Ridley lost his touch. I am not sure how the movie can expand as a franchise anymore. Whats next in the series? David fucking with more poor humans via xenomorphs?
>>
>>82920763

because literally nobody in this franchise knows what the fuck they're doing

the space truckers in Alien don't know what the fuck they're doing
the space marines in Aliens don't know what the fuck they're doing
the rape gang in Alien3 don't know what the fuck they're doing
the corp crew and the mercs in Alien Resurrection don't know what the fuck they're doing
the "scientists" and Weyland himself in Prometheus don't know what the fuck they're doing
The colonists in Covenant don't know what the fuck they're doing

and so on....

So essentially I have a hard time imagining David knows what the fuck he's doing.
So far all that he's done is "dunk the lifeform into goo" tard-level experimentation.
I mean his prime achievement in Covenant which are the neomorphs is basically close to the deacon who just got generated by chance in Prometheus, so his grand plan is rather shit.

I can trust him that he actually managed to reach the homeworld of the engineers, even more so since the entire planet had apparently ONE city and ONE spaceship on it.
>>
>Alien film
>It's about robots

This movie sucked. Shouldn't have been made.
>>
Why doesn't /tv/ get that David genuinely loved Shaw, albeit in his twisted sort of way? He even compared their relationship to Walters and Daniels.
>>
>>82920863
the only thing i can imagine is a posse of engineers going out to find davids ass and kill the shit out of him and his xeno army on the new planet for bombing their home/ one of their homes

maybe they pick up walter on the paradise who gives em the scoop on his nutso ass
>>
Its shit

Total shit.

All you fucking faggots whining about Zack Snyder yet Ridley Scott is literally committing genocide against cinema
>>
>>82920891
thats pretty easy to get, what doesnt make sense is why he just killed her in such a blase fashion. I get hes "crazy" or whatever but thats a pretty shit way to go
>>
How do you fuck up this badly? What do they think they are doing? It's ALIEN.

A L I E N.

There wasn't a character in this movie that actually died who had enough development for anyone to care about their death. Instead, they spent such a long time building up... nothing? No tension, no suspense, all the horror is jump-scare oriented, the pacing is fucked so even from the perspective of an action movie the movie never reaches that adrenaline zone because all the action is broken up with lulls and dips, mainly to facilitate the movie's stupid and completely unnecessary hard-on for the kind of philosophical back and forth that would only stimulate a high-school kid.

Why? What is the fucking point? Why do this to ALIEN. Make another shitty franchise, it may as well be anything else the degree to which they are shitting on the originals.
>>
>>82920979

the neomorphs were too scary and too cool, after they were done in the movie and the xeno showed up it was like big fucking deal. It didnt even kill people nearly as gruesomely. it was so "efficient" it was boring in comparison.

they shouldve either come second or been the only monsters in the movie
>>
>>82920979

the problem is that Scott is an idiot.

Instead of making Prometheus and David's story its own thing with its own series of movies he awkwardly fused it to the Alien franchise.

So now you have these increasingly stupid "xeno kills people WOW" scenes with zero tension or interest to them instead of focusing squarely on David and more Engineer crap.
>>
>>82921048
this.

the neomorphs felt more true to prometheus, like the original version of the mutated fifield. i havent been as scared as i was when the bipedal neomorph makes its appearance, in a long time
>>
>>82915303
I just saw it too! I went in hoping that it would build upon the "Crossing" trailer with Dr. Elizabeth reassembling David, and then having to deal with the Engineers - NOPE! Just a rambling mess of escalating seen it before complications and no third act.
>>
>>82920972
>what doesnt make sense is why he just killed her in such a blase fashion.

Well we don't exactly know when and how he killed Shaw, but it's clearly tied to his desire to play God and more than likely David perceives what he did to Shaw as a good thing. Look at how he acts when he forces a kiss on Daniels and then muses about it.

And again, David has a very weird and twisted understanding of love, and you can track it directly back to the relationship David had with Weyland and Vickers, his father and sister, which was clearly very volatile and abusive. Vickers loathed David with every fiber of her being and Weyland treated him more like a lackey who kept failing to meet his standards.
>>
>>82917803
He didn't love her because she repaired him, he loved her because she contributed so much to his experiments with creating xenos
>>
>>82921216
true, either way it was handled very poorly and in such a casual fashion considering she was the driving force behind the preceding movie and how much he GUSHES about how he loves her.
>>
>>82920513
>>82920509
>>82920375
>>82920494
>>82920452
>>82920525
Considering that the Engineers created humanity, I don't know why a race that only kinda resembles Engineers makes you think "shitty makeup" instead of "another Engineer-created race".
>>
File: 1481777764324.jpg (9KB, 337x337px) Image search: [Google]
1481777764324.jpg
9KB, 337x337px
>>82915303

What I liked:

>intro scene with Weyland
>Billy Crudup's character right up until he does some dumb shit
>engineer genocide flashback
>David's cave, research, drawings, all that interesting shit that we barely get to see
>David vs Walter fight
>plot actually expanded upon David's motivation and fleshed him out as a character, even explaining his nonsensical actions in Prometheus
>Paradise Lost parallels
>a few cool deaths (decapitation, shower scene)
>visually nice
>solid soundtrack like Prometheus

What I disliked to the point of frustration:

>too many characters, most are cannon fodder with no other reason to be onscreen
>retarded ass scientists still stepping into a foreign planet with no helmets or hazmat suits
>characters being retarded to the point of slapstick (TWO separate "slipped on a bloodstain" fuckups in the same scene, the shower scene taking place at all especially when it did)
>scenes involving the xenomorph/neomorph felt superfluous and tacked on just to give the movie more franchise appeal, it's clear Ridley wanted to focus more on the important characters and world building
>almost zero practical effects used involving creatures, too much reliance on CGI
>almost all the screen time given to characters remaining on the Covenant while the ground crew explores is pointless filler

Once you get past all the Prometheus lore and references, it's just an inferior remake of Alien.
>>
>>82915303
The 20 second sequence of David bombing the Engineers with the DNA virus is extremely unsatisfying.
>>
>>82915881

Alien 3 Assembly Cut is great, faggot.
>>
>>82921325
jesus how many niggas you gonna reply to for this post bro
>>
>>82921335
The soundtrack was great except for the bizarre flowery ambient music while they're inside David's Pyramid of Pain
>>
>>82921344
yep. not only that but we didnt even get to see the after effects of it at all. no closeups of the petrified/mutated corpses or anything, just briefly shown and of course, the characters dont care about it at all
>>
>>82921325
because at no point in either covenant or prometheus. do they mention or even hint at the engineers creating another race.

its not addressed at all. thats a huge implication to make just because "their skin and eyes are a little different" but their tech and culture are the same

it just doesnt make any sense to make them another race and not even mention it or confirm it.
>>
I would have liked to see the Engineers hatred of the humans they created be the force of antagonism that drives the story, rather than what they ended up doing. Would have been more interesting
>>
I was waiting for something to happen at the end of the movie and nothing did!
>>
>>82921461
further more it would make sense for Ridley to want to wipe them out as hes trying to move the franchise away from prometheus and more towards a david centered story.

now he feels like he doesnt have to answer any of the questions about them, because theyre all dead and so is the only person who cared about them, shaw.
>>
>>82919346
the movie was bad
>>
Was the worst movie I've seen this century.

Absolutely awful. Embarrassed for Ridley Scott.
>>
>>82921496
That's exactly right - no third act. If the character going into hypersleep has to escape and stop David, then you have a third act. NOPE
>>
I forget... after David bombed the engineers there why did he stick around and not use the ship to go to another planet from the starmaps that were stored in the ship?
I mean the engineers obviously had many other locations they were fucking around with.
>>
>>82921548
just 'cause
>>
>>82921543

Excatly!

The first act is them reaching the planet and starting to explore.

Second act is shit going down and them finding David.

Third act is David being evil and he has to be stopped.

but now since all these movies just lead into each other there is no decent conclusion since you're supposed to tune into the next movie to see what happens next

cancer
>>
>>82921548
because the ship crashed

how ? why? who knows? fuck you says scott wait for the next sequel where I ""MIGHT"" answer your questions but really wont!
>>
>>82921548

Give how the ship crash landed away from the city, Shaw probably crashed it after she realized what David has just done.
>>
why couldn't they just have picked up right where prometheus left off...
>>
>>82921681
because a bunch of reddit tier whiners went WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH NO ALIENS!!!!! and thus this was ridley hacks compromise
>>
>>82920340
Doesn't matter, they're all fucking dead now. Even Shaw is killed off off screen to close this knot and just further David's storyline.
>>
>>82921700
and I'm guessing now that everyone is complaining (rightfully so) how tacked on the aliums were, the next one will focus on the engineers again
>>
>>82921817
possibly. i really really really liked the neomorphs. i found them waaaay more interesting than the actual xenos, so i hope we get to see more of them in the next one ALONG with the engineers.
>>
The year is 2020. In an executive meeting, John McTiernan, director of Die Hard, pitches his spiritual sequel to the franchise. The movie is not quite Die Hard, as it will move away from the original action-based narrative of the original movie, and focus more instead on creating a cinematic universe. The board goes wild, cinematic universes make a lot of money. Who cares if McTiernan is dropping a lot of hints towards the fact that these movies will be full of philosophy and other things that maybe shouldn't be included in a franchise like Die Hard. Who carers if he seems hell bent on creating some strange franchise link-up with Predator, which he also directed. Who cares if he seems so completely sure he wants to remove the entire events of the second Die Hard movie from the canon to do this. Cinematic universe franchise make a lot of money. Board executives like money.

The year is 2025. Die Hard: Ozymandias vs Predator is released. The film features a five minute action sequence with a CGI Bruce Willis running through a jungle being chased by Predator. The rest of the movie is the same CGI Bruce Willis holding a conversation with a CGI Arnold Schwarzenegger about romantic era poetry.

"I wandered lonely as a cloud," says CGI Bruce Willis, "William Blake, wasn't it?"
"I think you will find that was Wordsworth", replies CGI Schwarzenegger.

The audience is already asleep.
>>
I think my favorite part of the story was the "religious" captain who talks about faith having his faith sorely tested by circumstances and - oh wait, that never happened. He just dies. I forgot.
>>
>>82921852
whats so interesting about the neomorphs? they are basically recoloured xenomorphs without acid blood. Even their power levels are on par.

he should have gone more body horror with it, its too similiar
>>
>>82921874
KEK

i wouldnt be surprised
>>
>>82921852
there were many implications of humanity's origin in prometheus, as well as the xenos... it's all such a disappointment. there's so much potential for a deeply profound creation mythology set within the genre of sci-fi/horror. it seems like that's what they want to do but are avoiding it to remain politically correct or something, I can't put my finger on it. so much wasted potential.
>>
>>82919352
I dunno I got pretty spooked when the first guy pretty much melted in the quarantine zone.
>>
>>82921935

Like Shaw's beliefs and attachment to her cross necklace in Prometheus, Scott introduces challenging ideological concepts and immediately drops them. I guess the hint alone is supposed to make it "deep".
>>
>>82919346
In mine they seemed to like it

You guys are forgetting this shit is a horror movie, most people will go to watch creepy aliens and mutilated corpses, not 2deep4you analysis of the Engineers lore and philosophical questions. Not that the movie didn't deliver at least partially on that, David and his ramblings were great
>>
>>82922165
you're really dumb btw
>>
Okay, wait. As far as I can tell this is a movie about how Lucifer tricks humans into freeing him.
>>
also why the fuck didnt any of the human character even seem to notice the engineers?

no "OH WOW theres another advanced civilization other than our own?" they literally just walk right through the engineer city and just dont give an honest fuck. nobody in the crew has any interest in that?

god damnit I wanted to love this movie, I really did, but the more I think about it the more it pisses me off.
>>
I found it to be the most incoherent, egocentric pile of shit I've ever seen on the big screen. And I've seen quite a lot of films.

Characters are stupid to the extreme, plot doesn't make sense, science is completely meaningless, pacing is nowhere to be seen and it's as subtle as being punched in the face by Ridley's old and rancid tesicles for two hours.
>>
>>82922282
This. I left the theater pissed I wasted 2 hours. Will never see another Ridley Scott film again.

3/10 if I'm being generous.
>>
>>82922211
Trip 2s and dub 1s confirm
>>
>>82920552
also consider the fact that when it burst from orams chest it wasn't anything like the original chestburster
>>
>>82922260
A huge pile of corpses has nothing to offer to people whose goal is to spread life.
>>
>>82922260

Probably because they were preoccupied with monsters attacking and killing half of their crew and were more interested in trying to get the fuck out of there.
>>
>>82922304
Ridley at this point for me just revealed that the first Alien movie was just the result of Bannon's and Giger's work, he was just there to shoot the flick. There's no other explanation. Also he must be completely senile now since he seems to forget every good aspect of the first movie when shooting somehting he SAYS is paying homage to it.
>>
>>82922319
>on your way to your job at mcdonalds
>encounter huge piles of alien corpses along your journey
>"this has nothing to offer me. Better press on."
>>
>>82922165
there is absolutely no reason why a horror movie can't be abstract or profound.
>>
My favorite part of Alien Covenant was the recliner seat I lounged in and the iced coffee I drank (fancy new theater)
>>
>>82922282
Cont

I've read every interview of the crew I could get my hand on, every press comment, saw every trailer and I swear to God at some point I read Ridley's crew saying : "Oh Scott is so amazing he saves sooo much time because for every shot he does no more than one or two takes top"

WTF

ONE OR TWO TAKES YOU BAFFLINGLY INCONSEQUENTIAL BAFOON

(also this is why I don't blame the actors for the flimsy acting : nobody can pull off a good performance all the way through with just two takes each time)
>>
Alien>Aliens>Isolation>Covenant>3>Prometheus>>>>Resurrection>>>>>>>>>AvP>AvPR
>>
>>82915917
ur a fag
>>
>>82922412
Yep
>>
>>82917973
That's fucked up and better than what we got.
>>
>>82922412
Cont

Also also I would like an explanation on why a parasite would come out of the BACK of someone, busting through his spine, rather than the belly.

First, it's WAY easier through the belly with all the soft tissues and such.

Second, breaking the spine requires an incredible strenght (from a tiny little alien)

Third, even if you have the strengh you need to be resting on something to be able to push AND THERE'S ONLY SOFT TISSUES BEHIND
>>
>>82922360
I wouldn't say that Dark Star or Species are quite as good as Alien. Also, poor Shusett. Nobody remembers him or his contributions.
>>
>>82922475

Yeah but Return of the Living Dead is fantastic.
>>
I haven't watch the movie yet but I've read a lot of the spoilers. If David created the xenomorphs, how does the movie explain why an engineer was piloting the ship in the first movie with a bunch of eggs.
>>
>>82922412
What? There was nothing wrong with the way it was shot. It looked nice. The acting was fine. Sure, the characters might have been stupid but that's a fault in the script not in their portrayal of the characters. That's the huge flaw of this movie, the script. The fact that it is about what it is about. The narrative. The pacing. Character motivations and actions. Story arc. Dialogue. That's the bad part. The cinematography, the CGI, the acting, all fine. Looking for problems in the wrong places dude.
>>
>>82920518
I think it would have been better if Walter killed David, after the latter had succeeded in inspiring him.
>>
>>82922521
There are still 2 more movies for Scott to bullshit in
>>
>>82922380
Didn't mean that. And as i said, i think the movie did a good job continuing one of the main themes from Prometheus about creations rebelling against their creators/thinking they're better. I just think tuoi guys overestimate how much the audience cares about Prometheus
>>
>>82922521
it doesnt and >>82922547
it wont
>>
>>82922470
This is a very good point
>>
>>82922572
Read
>>82920683
>>
>>82915303
Biggest disappointment ever
It's like Aliens all over again
>>
>>82922470
Cont (yeah I've got a lot to say)

I would like to know how a crew of a spaceship.

Who we've established are part of Wayland.

That are sent to TERRAFORM a planet (so it means no breathable atmosphere).

When descending on an unknown planet.

Don't wear helmets.

THE PROMETHEUS CREW HAD HELMETS
They were stupid and took them off BUT THEY HAD SOME

Those don't even have them.
And seriously, if I hear someone say "but they needed not to have helmets for the parasite to go into their bodies"

OH WAIT was there a way to create a parasite that, I don't know, breaks thourgh the fucking helmet ? LIKE IN THE FIRST ALIEN ?

That would make the crew smart but unprepared for this. Now, they're just stupid.
>>
>75% on RT
>/tv/ abhors it

I think I'll go with /tv/ here and not see this movie.
>>
>>82922524
The shot are nice, yeah, for the most part but the acting is terribly flat sometimes.

Also. Please. Give Fassbender better roles. He's a good actor he doesn't deserve this.
>>
>>82922588
just because it was in an interview doesnt mean itll happen

his dumb old ass will probably forget, or realize hes botched the series too much to go back to the original.

at this point if he does its probably going to be total garbage like DAVID WAS THE SPACE JOCKEY THE WHOLE TIME!!!
>>
>>82915303
>Was it better than Prometheus? Hell yea!
That was all I really wanted. And they delivered. Also glad the space axe got to make a cameo.
>>
Covenant gives a lot more weight to Ash's admiration of the alien.
>>
File: image.jpg (103KB, 749x698px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103KB, 749x698px
The character that saved Alien: Covenant.

Seriously, why was Walter such a bro?
>>
File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>82922302
>wheat
>vegetable
>>
>>82922634
David is a great role for him

Jesus, i don't think you people could be any more negative if you were paid to
>>
>>82922604
Cont

(I could mention the fact that the crew never asks any questions about anything to David but that's been raised before)

Also also could you please explain me how ridley is able to break Thermodynamics ?

Cause those Aliens (wether xenomorphs or neomorphs) grow WAY TOO FUCKING FAST.

And we don't see them eat anyone too. How does an organism grow this fast without eating anything ? Even when they get out of the bellies/back/mouth of people they don't eat what's let behind !
>>
>>82922655
cinematic universe is the hottest thing right now. If covenant profits, which it will, it will 100% get a sequel
>>
>>82922736
I don't know anon, why on earth would you overly empathise with a robot with extremely limited legitimate emotive capabilities
>>
>>82922760
Ridley says two more movies.
>>
File: literallyme.jpg (136KB, 800x531px) Image search: [Google]
literallyme.jpg
136KB, 800x531px
>>82922760
oh god

hes pushing the whole evil robot thing to cross over with blade runner isnt he?

this is worst timeline
>>
>>82922771
He reminds me of the common unknown soldier. He saves his people because its his duty to do so.
>>
Watched this movie today without having seen any of the Alien films. I appreciated the design as well as the performances. Though I haven't seen anything Alien, I am familiar with the work of Giger, O'Bannon, and Ridley Scott. What was the biggest problem with the film is that it lacked a through-line. The theme is forgotten in favor of world-building, and it ultimately feels disingenuous because it's obviously for the purpose of setting up sequels. I also laughed out loud at a lot of the violence, especially the women slipping on that pool of blood. I don't know, it was all very slapstick, like a Wile E Coyote cartoon. All it needed was a slide whistle. I don't know why everybody in the theater took it so seriously. Everybody left looking glum.
>>
>>82922801
>110 year old Harrison Ford shooting xenomorphs
>>
File: IMG_9002.jpg (944KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9002.jpg
944KB, 3264x2448px
So david made the aliens and facehuggers???? And killed all the engineers???.

Does this shit retcon the first movie?? Fuck this movie sucks, some of thhe alien cgi even felt like ressurection tier
>>
File: clapping.gif (319KB, 314x314px) Image search: [Google]
clapping.gif
319KB, 314x314px
>>82922818
kino
>yfw David started it all
>>
>>82922752
Cont and End

Dear Ridley,

If you want to make great sci-fi movies about creationnism, religion and human ego, great. Perfect. You do you booboo.

But don't use the Alien franchise to do it.

Alien was about rape, horror, terror, anxiety, clostrophobia, strong characters put in difficult situations.

Not about whatever hobby Scott's made out of religion.
>>
>>82922830
It doesn't retcon the Alien, there's gonna be more films with the final directly tying into Alien.
>>
>>82922801
Of course. You can already see the links with the whole replicant emotions theme from blade runner with David and in Katherine Waterston's character questioning why Walter kept risking his life to save her and he keeps steadfastly saying it is his "duty" but in a way which lets you know HES A REEL HUMAN BEEN
>>
>>82922814
THIS

this movie had NO theme at all. it acted like it did, but it didnt flesh any of it out.
>>
>>82922760
Without domestic it already got back half it's budget, didn't it

That's good, i want to see more
>>
>>82921681
Because Prometheus was a pile of half baked shit, thanks to a screenwriter who thinks that leaving shit out is a good substitute for actually having something of depth to say. Honestly, any answers it provided (like "What was that big fossilized thing from the first Alien?") were better left to the imagination, and any lingering questions it left were met with a resounding "I don't give a shit" by anyone with some sense.

At the end of the day, this whole project (Covenant included) was completely unnecessary, as the unsolved mysteries are part of what made the Alien universe so interesting to start with. If Scott absolutely feels the need to continue on with this, though, I would just assume they throw in some Xenos eating people's heads to break up the college screenwriting student-tier pseudo-philosophy.
>>
>>82922814
>Watched this movie today without having seen any of the Alien films.

Why would you do that?
>>
>>82922760
You can't apply the superhero franchise logic here because Scott's ability to work has never been dictated by box office performance. If he wants to make a movie, he will get the money for it. He's not some literal who.
>>
Shaw corpse was creepiest part of the movie. Why wasn't her body decomposing? Did the black goo bombs wipe out anything in the animalia kingdom?
>>
>>82922869
Fuck a thematic through-line, this movie BARELY had a proper narrative structure at fucking all. Nothing of significance happens.

It's exactly like so many horror movies are, except instead of actually having what makes horror movies appealing it's the horror part they fill that time mostly with pretentious and unfinished philosophical blatherings about fuck all? What a fucking terrible movie actually.
>>
>>82922869
>no theme
Have you ever heard of this thing called christianity?
>>
>>82922933
David probably actively tried to preserve her "beauty"

But i agree, it was delightfully horrible, because of the implications mostly
>>
>>82922954
This
>>82922849
>>
>>82922969
Did he wipe out the engineers on behalf of Shaw? Or did he do it because psycopath android?

I assume he used Shaw once the engineers were extinct, since the drawing before hers showed something similar to a queen.
>>
>>82922977
It's his movie. Hell, you could say that it's his franchise now too. Alien3 was already a christian film so it's not like this is some unprecedented twist.
>>
>>82922470

First spores went through the ear and started the infection there, and settled near the upper body once it found place to grow. The second one went to the lungs through breathing and that's why that gay guy ends up throwing up the alien.
>>
>>82922931
My girlfriend and I are performance BFAs so we love to go to the movies. We didn't feel like anything else would be very good to watch today, and to my understanding the film would stand alone just fine. Maybe I'm wrong, but I was able to follow everything well enough. Alien is a huge part of our culture now I suppose. I'm not entirely in the dark about it. In any case, there's more to films than plot for me. I have fun just looking for the seams in the technical side of things, or watching actors' choices and figuring out what kind of school they went to in relation, etc.
>>
>>82923033
Clearly poor Elizabeth had no say in anything. He probably killed them for v the sake of researching the effects of the pathogen on a global/city-wide scale. I don't see why he would resent their existence unless it was just petty revenge like the other anon suggested
>>
The whole thing about David creating the Xenomorph as we know it just raises more questions and inconsistencies. Anyone else remember that big ass Xenomorph mural in Prometheus?
>>
>>82923142
All films should work as stand alone stories, if they didn't they would be genuinely unintelligible. I think people are forgetting what stories are or how they work.
>>
>>82915303
>Expect something better than Prometheus but worse than Alien 3 and Alien:Resurrection.
Worse than the abomination that is Alien: Resurrection? How is that possible? That movie sucks rancid camel taint.
>>
>>82923049
Def not his franchise. He only directed one of the original movies and the idea was from the two scenarists (not even gonna talk about Giger). Also Prometheus is not an Alien movie. It happends in the same universe but there's no Alien.
>>
>>82923058
Near the upper body. So you're saying there's no part of the upper body better suited for bursting ? I'd say ribs are easier to break.
>>
>>82923180
Yup. That also made no sense. And makes even less sense now.
>>
>movie is literally about creating the original alien movie
>director writes himself into the script and narrative as a robot who literally creates (actual) HR Giger concept art for alien and then creates alien

could scott suck his own dick any more
>>
>>82923284
He did more for the franchise than anyone involved except Giger. The claustrophobic and industrialized spaceships, the tone, it's all from Alien. The other movies either tried to ape him (Alien 3) or turned the thing in a generic (although still cool) space bug hunting (Aliens, arguably Resurrection, the AvPs)

And it's not like he doesn't realize that, Giger is the first person credited in Covenant ignoring the dead lady. David's drawings were also a clear homage
>>
>>82923180
>Engineers seed planets, making Humans and others
>Humans suck and are awful
>Fuck it, lets use the humans as bio-fuel to make a facsimile to this thing we worship
>>
>>82923386
The tone, the claustrophobia, the industrialized spaceship, it's all from the script.
>>
I'd say it's the second best film of the series between Alien and Alien 3. A fan edit could probably make it less of a confused action movie at points and remove some elements of Zeitgeist but overall I really enjoyed the terror, lore and dialogues.
>>
>>82923401
People didn't see the script, they saw Scott's filmmaking.
>>
>>82923386
>David's drawings were also a clear homage
A lot of it is literally actual HR Giger concept art.
>>
>>82923401
Certainly. But without a good director that shit goes nowhere. We know Scott, if he does anything consistently good it's visuals, are we suddenly going to say his merits in Alien are accidental?
>>
>>82923345
What exactly makes you think David has anything at all in common with Scott. Are you mad?
>>
>>82923436
Oh yeah, that's why they gave subsequent movies to Cameron, Fincher and Jeunet, that's because Ridley had soooo much to do with it.
>>
File: alien-covenant-5-0.jpg (84KB, 1600x1077px) Image search: [Google]
alien-covenant-5-0.jpg
84KB, 1600x1077px
Most people on facebook hate it which they should and I hope more come out to claim they dont like it so for Ridley's next movie hopefully he focuses on less Xenos and more Engineers.

I was wrong to think I wanted a Xeno plot line back in 2012 because this movie butchered what made Prometheus so good.

This movie is one of the most disappointing movies I have seen in the cinema.

So forgetful which offers nothing new but bland horror action that we have seen over and over in so many horror movies.

I wish the movie was a POV of David and that the boring humans were not the main cast. I wish we saw more of the Engineers and the movie was just focused on David because I gave no shits about the human cast. Only people I cared for is David and Shaw and Ridley had to fucking kill Shaw

We could have had a REALLY good Phantom of Opera style movie where David has deep love for Shaw and he doesnt want to kill her or sacrifice her and he tries to fight over human emotions that he feels while also trying to give in to his Xeno experiments.

THAT would have been a way better movie than the shit that we were given that was just a generic action movie that I do not feel like rewatching unless Ridley releases an extended cut and then still; I was not interested at all in the human characters. Prometheus ended with Shaw and David going to find the Engineers planet and get answers on the creation of the human race and so that is what the plot for this movie should have been. NOT a "new crew gets slowly infected and dies one by one".

I am so fucking pissed off when this sequel had so much potential... now I have to wait 3-4 years for the next movie and then I dont have hope that Ridley will properly focus on the Engineers.

We have 4 Alien movies already. PLEASE stop trying to remake the first Alien.

WHY didnt you focus on the Engineers and NOT an Alien...
>>
>>82923462
A movie isn't just visual. And he has become an egomaniac who thinks he can do everything well, not only his job.
>>
>>82922852
But all the engineers are dead. They used the ship to go to the homeworld at the end of prometheus.

This shit was much more interesting when it was just a race of creatures using a biological weapon, and some humans accidentally stumbled upon it
>>
>>82923438
I was thinking of Giger that entire sequence. Very cool that they found a way to get some of those pieces on screen
>>82915303
I loved it, but my ranking is
Alien>Aliens>Prometheus>Covenant>3>resurrection
So I might just have bad taste.
>>
>>82923305
I'm saying the spores most likely start growing the parasite the first chance they find enough room in to produce. It's part of the delivery system, that version isn't designed to seek out the best place in a human body to burst out of, it simply starts growing as quickly as it can. David has been working out the kinks for years, hence the eggs being the culmination of the experiments.
>>
>>82923438
I don't think I've noticed any of his actual art. But one for example was clearly supposed to be a stand-in for pic related except with Shaw
>>
Whats the difference between the protomorph and the xenomorph? They both came from facehuggers right?
>>
>>82923516
Some years of research and refining.
>>
>>82923498
And I say to you a lifeform, especially a parasite, will always go for the simplest solution. The spine is just not practical and not possible as I said, too much strengh AND something solid to lay on are required.
>>
>>82923430
This movie felt like a low budget fan movie that stole music from the first Alien movie

Yeah no doubt a fan edit that combines all the deleted scenes could somehow make it feel like the original concept before it was butchered into an Alien/Aliens movie but still this is not a good movie.

Scarjo's Ghost in the Shell is way better than this
>>
>>82923469
Cameron's sequel was very conservative and brought almost nothing new to the table. Alien3 was destroyed by Fox, and Resurrection was destroyed by Whedon. Both could've been quite good and interesting otherwise and more in the spirit of Alien.
>>
>>82923501
Ah, forgot pic

>>82923483
Jesus Christ, he just made two movies related to the franchise he helped starting, that's egomania?
>>
>>82923489
It isn't the homeworld. It is where the Engineer ship originally came from.

Why would the Engineer home planet only have one City?
>>
>>82923540

Why are you complaining about the spine and not the fact that the second one only got out after the guy threw up his insides?
>>
>>82923540
Parasites don't "go for the simplest solution". They're a product of random Evolution. Neomorphs are the byproduct of a genetic superweapon, and a decade of David selectively breeding.
>>
>>82923552
The fact is that they shoved Ridley out for the sequels.

They only called him back for Alien Zero (what Prometheus was in the beginning) to secure the trust of fans. He didn't even want to do it, he told Century Fox that his son-in-law would be glad to make it. No joke. But he did it for motherfucking money when they raised his pay.
>>
>>82923553
He made two movies centered on his own passion for religion and obscurantism that happen to be in the Alien universe.
>>
>>82923555
I don't know, why were they living in caves and shit? This movie explained nothing, and is retroactively hurting the strengths if the older films.
>>
>>82923555
Probably the same reason they live like absolute peasants and no one checked on the weapon's facility for 2000 years.
>>
>>82923602
Which doesn't mean they can break physics. Spine too strong. Nothing solid to lay on. Can't happen.
>>
how did david saw xenos before if he only had shaw to try things on? he didnt do shit on engineers right? why he killed them?where do the eggs come from?
>>
>>82923649
They already do break physics. Acid blood? Rapid growth within hours?

>>82923643
Engineers are incredibly interesting. I wish we had more of them and less of xenos/David.
>>
>>82923649
The only way it makes sense is if it somehow sawed through the spine, which I dont think it did. Also why were none of the things chestburster? Even the facehugger alien was just a really tiny looking bitch version of the adult
>>
>>82923555
why nobody from other planets check if they are ok?
>>
>>82923701
Told about rapid growth, in the other movies they actually eat and it's acceptable to grow within hours.
In this movie they grow in five fucking minutes wihtout eating anything.

Acid blood isn't breaking physics either, there are creature that have particularly dangerous substances as blood, saliva or ointment which doesn't hurt them.
>>
>>82923632
>>82923553
In which way please is Alien Convenant centered on religion? Because one character is religious, one a carpenter and David uses religious terms? Using Christian images is just what the Western canon is about.
>>
>>82923632
The alien franchise and the 'virtual universe' in which it takes place are worth nothing when removed from the films that made them popular in the first place. Again, people don't know what Alien was about.
>>
>>82923723
Yup. And it waved to David. That was fucking stupid.
>>
>>82923700
Shaw's eggs.
>>
File: 1-prometheus-Crucified.jpg (1MB, 1400x1018px) Image search: [Google]
1-prometheus-Crucified.jpg
1MB, 1400x1018px
>>82923700
The Engineers made the Aliens ages ago. David just did the same experiments that Engineers did on humans thousands of years ago and re created the Aliens.

When u watch Prometheus: there is a giant Alien statue

Are you still confused? Cos I sure fucking am

FUCK THIS MOVIE GIVES U NO EXPLANATIONS AT ALL
>>
>>82923701
im not a big lorefag so i don't know it for sure, but their blood becomes acidic when it reacts with air. so we can cross out that
>>
>>82923700
well, first he had a lot of time on the alien ship/world to himself, so he could have easily learned about them (since they exited prior to him per prometheus mural) through the engineer computers. Also, it's very unlikely that the entire engineer population was at that landing site. Either way, none of that shit is explained. He could have used some wild life on that planet that lays eggs to mutate them with the black goo.
>>
File: c2d.jpg (36KB, 663x579px) Image search: [Google]
c2d.jpg
36KB, 663x579px
>We're finally going to explore Paradise and see what the engineers are like
>Shaw literally went to Paradise to find answers
>Straight up kill them all
>Spend the entire movie in a ship we've already seen or one building inside the docking bay
>Even the engineers are killed off screen

B R A V O
>>
>>82923778
but she's sterile
>>
>>82923757
The main character has a nail as her necklace.
David is Lucifer, so clearly it hurts, so bluntly it's not even meaningful anymore.
"Would you rather serve in Heaven or reign in Hell"
David creates a perfect life form he nurtures.
David plays the theme of valkyries entering Heaven.

Need more ?
>>
>>82923757
The first movie didn't rely on religion at all. It's a Western movie. And it was better.
>>
>>82915303
Sooo
David kills all? the engineers then creates the Xenomorphhow did the engineer end up on a ship with face hugger eggs in alien 1
>>
>>82923820
it could have been for other reasons like narrow fallopian tubes or a hostile uterus
>>
Minor detail, but am i the only one that was pissed off by the ipad with the freeclimbing scene? It felt so 2017 and not retrofuturistic like the original Alien movies.

If they have iPad technology, why do they still use big old fat screens like they do for the spaceship?

This is an inconsistent depiction of technology.
>>
>>82919150
I doubt you're in this thread but
>Does fuck all to explain this
David experimented on her to make the xeno
>>
>>82923831
It's worth noting that one version of the origin of demons is that angels were overcome with lust for humans and had children with them, and those children became demons.
>>
>>82923877
>how did the engineer end up on a ship with face hugger eggs in alien 1
ridley has like 3-6 more of these prequels loaded up before he reaches back around to Alien.

I still want to believe that david didn't create shit, just followed a recipe.
>>
Prometheus and Alien covenant are better than Alien hands down, not baiting.
>>
>>82923938
I'm ok with this.
>>
>>82923831
Another thing: if david cant regenerate, wouldnt they have seen the hole under his chin from the nail?
>>
David should have sabotaged Daniel's cryo tube at the end of the movie, so it would have burned her alive just like James Franco.
>>
>>82923928
The litteral first scene of the movie is a conversation between 'God' and 'Lucifer' that shows signs of disobedience and hubris with the Nativity hanging on the wall.
>>
>>82923929
I like that idea, makes it more of an explanation of how they are created rather than David being xeno god
>>
Worse movie between King arthur and Covenant?
>>
>>82923954
If Walter can regenerate, how did the crew not see that the wounds on David's face weren't healing ? Daniels even helped him with it. Don't they know their fucking droid ?
>>
>>82923980
king arthur
>>
>>82923980
Arthur, covenant is alright
>>
>>82923963
I figured it was too obvious to bother mentioning. That said, is the implication that god is dead in Covenant?
>>
>>82923980
Covenant. King Arthur rules.
>>
>>82923985
They're dumb colonists. The android specialist is probably on ice or dead.
>>
>>82923954
>>82923985
maybe they don't know. I doubt they go around beating their synthetics for shits and giggles.
>>
>>82923980
Arthur is really bad. Covenant has redeeming qualities.
>>
>>82924023
But again, wouldn't she have seen the jaw/neck wound she gave david with the nail?
>>
>>82923478
Prometheus sucked. You have a terrible taste in movies and probably kiss girls.
>>
>>82924039
breh, who looks under a chin? it's not like it would have been a huge gaping whole either. Did YOU notice it after he took the nail out?
>>
prometheus was better than Alien 3 and alien resurrection
>>
>>82924039
Also, in the scene when he changes the healing pad on the burnt guy's face.

There's a sound of him seperating the pad from the protecting paper but we don't see it and then he puts it on his face.

Quick question.

How did he do that with only one hand ?

This movie is full of factual mistakes.
>>
I wonder if David kept his left hand and smuggled it to the Covenant.
>>
>>82924083
breh, sometimes you just have to let things slide to enjoy the movie.
>>
>>82924117
Not when the thing was clearly made with no effort what so ever.
>>
>>82924116
he fisted his butthole with it to smuggle it in.
>>
>>82924116
He did swallow weird alien eggs he had no way to make so eh.

Hand doesn't seem too hard.
>>
>>82924132
I don't recall the scene exactly but what if he used his mouth? Or he clenched it between his buttcheeks really hard? Better?
>>
>>82924132
The shot is of his face. He doesn't use his mouth.
>>
>>82923831
As I said there is religious symbolism. The main conflict presented in the movie unlike in Prometheus is however not a religious one (finding our maker, losing faith) but just the exploration of the psyche of David and David is driven by hate, anger and lust. This is a man who spend most of his life either being forced to serve humans who treat him like a slave and soulless object or in the serene loneliness on board the Prometheus where he was finally free. All of the things that make David so blatantly Lucifer in your eyes just link him to the nazis in particular Hitler and Mengele to me. Luzifer was banished because he was too proud, not submissive enough to god. David's god died with his father, his sin is wanting to wipe out all animal life and reign amongst a new breed of life that knows no compassion and we will all have to die to enter his heaven. This is religious a movie as Frankenstein.
>>
>>82924167
so buttcheeks it is.
>>
>>82924205
Let me add to that, I completely agree that religion is heavily used but that is entirely appropriate to the story, I just wouldn't agree that it's religion being pushed down anyone's throat. At this point in the universe god is dead. Whatever David is doing is entirely our and his design. I don't see the problem with alluring to well known mythology in fleshing out your character. Just because he identifies with T.E. Lawrence and quotes a poem about a fallen desert kingdom it's not an archaeological or colonial movie. The movie just makes heavy use of symbols.
>>
>>82915881
Alien 3 Assembly cut is pure KINO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrNmKBEmAcI
The Apocalypse is Upon Us!
>>
>>82916394
They're not perplexing, you're just a fucking idiot
>Covenant cleared all the plot holes in prometheus by confirming that David's artificial intelligence was flawed and sociopathic
>>
Lots of philosophical jabber, and too much focus on fassbender. However I guess not giving the answers to why and focusing on the how was a step in the right direction in covenant. I felt it strayed away from the first but kept some central themes present. Especially those of creation. Maybe there is no reason why as to why we were created. Maybe it was because of a selfish asshole wanted to make things? That's all I got from this movie
>>
>>82924640
>Lots of philosophical jabber, and too much focus on fassbender.
Remove yourself from the conversation.
>>
>>82916394
>Capable Director
You sure about that?
>>
>>82924658
I don't mind if a film is introspective. But fuck there were some missed opportunities with some of the other characters that could've been more fleshed out but nooo fassbender needs a homoerotic scene with himself and needs to connect the dots to the first film.
>>
>>82917756
She saved him. From death.
So he carves out her uterus as a response.

FUCK DAVID FANS
>>
>>82923555
Because Ridley Scott is a hack bro.
>>
>>82923541
>Scarjo's Ghost in the Shell is way better than this
God no. Not at all.
GitS is awful in almost every aspect, except production design.
>>
Literally the ony good scene in this movie is David's birth
>>
>>82924829
Like what missed opportunities with other characters? Who was more interesting than David? What was more interesting than seeing two robots interact on their own, freely speaking their mind about themselves and their humanity? If anything cut out all the extra meat and only "connect the dots to the first film", that's the only interesting thing here. Shooting at a xenomorph as you hang from a flying spaceship isn't, Gravity 1.5 isn't, Alien I again but this time it's only 10 minutes long and two people survive isn't.

Also kissing your bro ain't gay, you fag.
>>
>>82924836
He can't breed his waifu any other way.
>>
>>82919150
>shaw being dead which they do fuck all to explain that.

It shows you that David used her womb to make the eggs.
>>
>>82924548

Fuck I love Alien 3
>>
File: engineer.jpg (299KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
engineer.jpg
299KB, 1280x720px
>>82920340
wut
>>
>>82920375
>These guys don't even look like Engineers.

That's like aliens landing in China and saying "these guys don't even look like humans" after visiting Kenya 10 years before.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (22KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
22KB, 480x360px
>>82920340
>>82923478
don't worry it's not mother planet of them anyway
they role may be the main plot in next movie
also Walter is not dead. I saw him running to the ship

I like how Walter was create different from David. it's seem human on earth cover their faces for evade personal connection when he born

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Cmf4BuNgg
>>
File: hmmmm.png (978KB, 740x740px) Image search: [Google]
hmmmm.png
978KB, 740x740px
>>82920375
Which of these women is human?
>>
>>82925377
>also Walter is not dead. I saw him running to the ship
???
???
You saw David in Walter's clothing. What.
>>
>>82925572
All of them, stop trying to divide and conquer
>>
>>82925723
>divide and conquer
I don't think you know what that means.
>>
>>82915303
>claim Aliens was a dumb action movie that was nothing like Alien and raped the lore
>make a dumb action movie and completely rape Alien lore

Ebin.
>>
>>82915881

Every garbage movie hated by mainstream is kino according to /tv/.
>>
>>82925847

/tv/ doesn't think any film is kino. /tv/ hates every single film ever made.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.