[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I write comedy better? Almost every time I think of a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

How do I write comedy better? Almost every time I think of a joke or funny scene it's generic and not at all like the comedy I usually enjoy.
>>
>>/lit/
but most comics draw on personal experience so try to recreate events in your life
>>
>>82903740
I don't have a life.
>>
>>82903682
Writing for what exactly? A standup routine? Scripted comedy?
>>
>>82903922
now thats comedy
>>
>>82905632
Scripted comedy, I should've specified.
To be even more specific, I'm writing a s
>>
>>82905632
>>82905666
what the fuck, my post cut off.

I'm writing a short film adaptation of Hamlet.
>>
>>82903682
you take the things you like from the type of comedy that you like and figure out what makes it good in your opinion, like any art. for example, one of the reasons curb is really great is that the episodes have multiple punchlines that are foreshadowed throughout the episode. i also think execution is a really big point, so even if you're writing something down it's difficult to imagine other people finding it funny unless they see it
>>
>>82905791
alright.
>>
>>82903682
maybe writing comedy is not your talent and you should do something else instead
>>
>>82905705
And you want to make it comedic?
>>
>>82908264
Yeah, it's Hamlet.
The entire character of Polonius is comic relief.
>>
>>82903682
The first joke you come up with is always gonna be the obvious one because you thought of it first.
Try writing the first 3 things that pop in to your head and crossing those out, because they are going to suck and be generic. Then rewrite those three things in to one joke, or flip one of those jokes on it's head in a meta way. it works for family guy and rick and morty
>>
>>82908361
Wtf? I have 3 shows on fox now!
>>
>>82908356
You doing this for school or something?
>>
>>82903922
Create character whos comedy comes from his inertness and social awkwardness
Basically NHK but without the infinite depression
>>
Observe more, interact less. Watch more comedy, but not anything too low or high brow. Gain life experience, which is mostly through age, not "doing".
I'm not saying I'm a comic genius, but I'm older and watch people. I'm not anti-social, just quiet. Since I was a kid I've observed adult human behavior. I have absorbed that and culture/media that most people don't. I'm not a fedora tipper, and don't think I'm some wise observer of human nature, but being quiet and watching has made me good at knowing when to jump in and say something funny.
Self loathing and contempt for humanity and the inevitable of death also help. Self deprecation as part of the shit that is humanity is a plus.
>>
>>82908442
see!
>>
>>82908721
Basically. When you observe a lot of comedy, you learn why using some words is funnier than others. You also learn the importance of timing and delivery.
>>
File: VolginAfterGZ.png (46KB, 137x222px) Image search: [Google]
VolginAfterGZ.png
46KB, 137x222px
Practice
>>
>>82908816
Thank you for understanding what I meant and not jumping down my throat saying I was an edgelord. It really does just come from years of observation, understanding norms and subverting with the unexpected given the context or situation.
>>
>>82908467
Unfortunately, yes.
>>
>>82908472
that's not funny. Being socially awkward isn't a joke.
>>
>>82903922
>Actual advice
If you want to write anything at all you have to go outside and have a life
>>
Write it first, then punch up the jokes.

Xavier: Renegade Angel didn't get written on the first draft.
>>
>>82908721
>but not anything too low or high brow.

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>82903682
bump
>>
Give us an example of something you've written, and we can help you improve.
>>
>>82905791
>one of the reasons curb is really great is that the episodes have multiple punchlines that are foreshadowed throughout the episode
Curb is fucking mindboggling with how tight and longrunning their setups are. Even when you figure out that usually something from extremely early in an episode or even entire season is coming back to finish another joke, it still surprises you. LD is a god.
>>
if jokey jokes aren't for you then they aren't for you, this is far from an indication that comedy isn't for you though. try other kinds of comedy, situational comedy where you can just write out some plots and how can they go wrong/be put together again and how do the character interact with it? it won't guarantee laugh out loud comedy but at the very least if it works it makes the audience feel good when they watch or read
>>
>>82903682
>How do I write comedy better?
If you want to be a writer, ANY type of writer, you need to either have a world of experiences or be a voracious reader. You need a fuckton of reference points and scenarios to draw from and find a humorous angle in.
>>
You don't. You're not a writer, fatty.
Just go back to your videogames and move on.
>>
>>82903682
fucking say it, if it's not right it'll get cut
>>
>>82916384
That's if you want to be a writer who wants to be recognized by other writers. Yeah, for pure, "I had a dream of being a comedy writer, so I followed the steps of these mediocre coworkers" was your actual dream. Being respected by your peers is different from writing things that will be appreciated by ACTUAL others who haven't tired of the five paths of satire
>>
>>82916567
>That's if you want to be a writer who wants to be recognized by other writers.
I still think you need a lot of experience and need to be well read (within reason) for either demographic, but yeah, I agree there are differences in writers-writers and writing for mass appeal.
>>
>>82916101
I haven't actually written anything.
>>
>>82916831
Get writing and reading, nigga. Even professional authors write multiple hours a day, every day to hone their craft. Being an idea man isn't going to cut it.
>>
>>82916874
I wish I could focus or had motivation.
Depression just makes me apathetic.
>>
bump one more time
>>
>>82916384
Oh shit, I haven't read any novels, or anything really in years.
>>
>>82916420
I don't even play video games.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.