[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Prometheus a disappointing movie or is it secretly genius?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: 764.jpg (683KB, 1208x1812px) Image search: [Google]
764.jpg
683KB, 1208x1812px
Is Prometheus a disappointing movie or is it secretly genius?
>>
>>82883386
It's openly genius.
>>
>>82883386

Secretly disappointing.
>>
>>82884498
fpbp
>>
Only challenger to 2001 a space odyssey
>>
I thought it was geniusly disappointing so we could expect better in a sequel
>>
At some point people stopped caring whether movies made any sense. I pin it on the Star Wars prequels but I'm not sure. This movie makes no fucking sense and the characters behave in completely illogical ways. Bad movie.
>>
>>82885095
Five years later and people still say the movie doesn't make sense. You've had five years to understand the story, and you haven't even tried to!
>>
>>82885213
It's a chain with links missing. Still missing with this new shit that's come out.
>>
>>82883386
Openly stupid
>takes helmets off on an alien planet
>plays with a penis snake
>navigator can't navigate his way out of a building
>runs directly in front off a rolling spaceship instead of running diagonally away
>super advanced surgery machine is calibrated towards one gender (so what happens if the female crew need emergency surgery like what happened to Shaw?)
>asking ayys for immortality (why should they give a fuck?)
And then the next movie ramped up the retardedness by having the crew not wear any helmets at all
>>
its a great movie but a terrible alien prequel
>>
>>82885350
You're confusing Prometheus with an astronaut training video. Also, the last two points are explained by simply pointing out that Weyland is a rich asshole who thinks he's above other people, which is by far the most realistic thing in the movie.
>>
>>82885213
Explain to me why a scientist who spent his entire life looking for the meaning of everything travels to a distant planet and then gives up his whole quest in despair after a couple of hours when they haven't even investigated the place?

Oh right, he needed to do that for the plot. So it "makes sense."
>>
>>82885350
they were told not to do it though and did do readings on the atmosphere before

First Contact Scenario should be friendly if possible plus its not like it look harmful

True but they were also hipster assholes so that explains it

>runs directly in front off a rolling spaceship instead of running diagonally away

True but i think most would do the same mistake in the heat of the moment

>super advanced surgery machine is calibrated towards one gender (so what happens if the female crew need emergency surgery like what happened to Shaw?)

i would assume it was tailored for the old guy but you are right about that one

>asking ayys for immortality (why should they give a fuck?)

Why not? Who else are you gonna ask?
>>
How about the way the supposedly super-intelligent founder decides to just start randomly punching people like a dumbass instead of coming up with a decent plan to actually get off of the planet
>>
I hate how they deleted most of the pivotal dialogue in this scene for pacing reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5j1Y8EGWnc
>>
>>82885350
They only did so when their sensors told them that the air was breathable
i'll give you that one
Your right but i'm sure if if his sole job was being the "navigator"
you could argue that they were in a state of panic and they weren't thinking clearly but still that was retarded
>super advanced surgery machine is calibrated towards one gender
It was specifically made for Weyland and not anyone else
>asking ayys for immortality
they didn't know anything about them before they landed, who knows they could have been nice.
>>
>>82883386
Ridley Scott is a senile fool who has lost touch with reality

>Spaihts met Scott in late 2009 and they discussed Scott's desire to pursue an Alien prequel. Spaihts offered his concept, including a "bridge" that would connect the story of the film's human characters to the Alien saga. Spaihts was quickly hired, which he credited to the reception of his "bridge" idea. Spaihts claimed he created the concept spontaneously, without preconception. Spaihts wrote a 20-page "extremely detailed outline"; within three and a half weeks he had completed his first draft, and he submitted it to the producers on Christmas Day, 2009. Within 12 hours, Scott returned the script with notes for changes, and Spaihts spent the Christmas holiday redrafting.[74]

>Spaihts was tasked with exploring unresolved mysteries from Alien, such as the Space Jockey. He considered the mysteries of Alien to be alien in nature, and said, "all the mysteries have alien players: the exoskeleton nightmare and ... the elephantine titan that was called the 'space jockey' ... How do you make anyone care about events between creatures like this?" His solution was to link the alien mysteries to the past and future of humanity. He said: "if that story is somehow ours and deeply enmeshed with the human story. That story changes meaning within our own life, things of such significance that we think of our own lives differently."[86] Spaihts found translating Scott's stylistic visual concepts to text difficult, and he periodically constrained some of Scott's ideas. He reminded Scott that in the scene they were discussing, the characters were subject to gravity and so could not simply float.[74]
>>
>>82885213
And you've had five years to explain it to all these people. Hell, there should be 5 different pastas about now. Except no.
>>
>>82885350
>>82885518
Shaw did run to the side, but the ship stopped to fall over towards her just to spite viewers who thought they were too smart for the movie. And everyone keeps forgetting that they were dead anyway, Prometheus blew up so they had no way to get off the planet, and the engineer survived and came back to kill Shaw.
>>
File: Meredith_Vickers.jpg (95KB, 720x992px) Image search: [Google]
Meredith_Vickers.jpg
95KB, 720x992px
Vickers should have been the one who survived.
>>
>it's an autistic people go on and on about a movie making sense when it clearly doesn't episode
yawn
don't you people have a shapeshifting alien snake to try to pet or something
>>
>>82885708
But anon, justpretendingtoberetarded.jpg humor is making a comeback, I tell you hwat.
>>
>>82885708
>yawn
tumblr is the other way honey
>>
>>82885707
I doubt David would have offered her a way to get off the planet considering he didn't like her.
>>
A complete shitshow for autistic faggots who need every little plot detail explained via prequel exposition.

Making the space jockey and an albino body builder who deals in black goo is midichlorian-tier shit.
>>
>>82885072
this
>>
>>82885896

even worse because midichlorians are a minor and easily ignored part of the prequels while this engineer shit essentially redefined the entire alien franchise from the ground up

not only that but the while David shit is even worse.
he apparently designed the xenos except the protoxenos gestate faster, grow faster and move faster than the original xeno
>>
File: 1461089807183.jpg (26KB, 314x435px) Image search: [Google]
1461089807183.jpg
26KB, 314x435px
>people STILL don't understand this movie
>>
>>82885350
The penis snake is the really bad one.
>>
>>82885983
it's a fucking mess, there's nothing to understand. it's a mishmash of convoluted scenes that lack narrative focus and the characters all act retarded as fuck

Shaw is the lone survivor of a disaster that almost resulted in restarting the demise of humanity and she fucks off to the source of this bullshit instead of going to Earth to warn everyone to stay the fuck away from these assholes.
>>
>Scott's story concept was partially inspired by Chariots of the Gods?, Erich von Däniken's work about the theory of ancient astronauts which hypothesizes that life on Earth was created by aliens.[71][83] Scott said, "NASA and the Vatican agree that [it is] almost mathematically impossible that we can be where we are today without there being a little help along the way ... That's what we're looking at [in the film], at some of Erich von Däniken's ideas of how did we humans come about."

Man fucking Ridley Scott is so stupid. What a clown. A man this dumb needs to stick to action flicks.
>>
>>82885865

Yeah, that helped Shaw alot. Also, she probably has override codes or something.
>>
>>82885687
I really don't know what the big hurdle is.

Weyland wanted to live forever and he couldn't achieve this with earth technology, he was dying and that made him desperate enough for one last gamble based on very little evidence. Being the rich asshole he is, he knows that if he's lucky enough to discover something as valuable as immortality, he doesn't want to share it and as such only the Weyland employees know of the actual objective. Vickers finds this whole thing sad and pathetic and she's trying to prevent her father from succeeding. She hired most of the scientific staff, Shaw was one of the few people picked by Weyland himself.

David's deal is that his position sucks. He has to look after people who aren't as smart and able as him, and are being rude to him. David fucking hates Charlie because Charlie's been being robo-racist, and poisons him at the first opportunity, although he has to manipulate Charlie into unknowingly consenting to it. Weyland doesn't care about the science team at that point, they already had the alien outpost mapped out, jars full of magic goo and even a living alien.

The engineer kills Weyland because it doesn't owe humans anything. It was probably insulted by how these tiny inferior creatures had forced it out of sleep and were demanding to learn engineer secrets for selfish purposes.
>>
>>82886253
>as such only the Weyland employees know of the actual objective.
except for shaw and her boyfriend, they were all weyland employees...and they were fine taking the job without knowing the actual objective.

Also, david didn't poison charlie out of spite or malice, he did it under orders specifically for a purpose. Weyland never really cared about the science team.
>>
>>82886811
>david didn't poison charlie out of spite or malice
David could've picked anyone, but he picked the guy who had been insulting him. Hell, watch the pool table scene again, Charlie is being a whiny cunt and David is visibly irritated until he tricks Charlie into drinking poison, then he gets all smug.
>>
>>82883386
It's an entertaining, beautiful movie that makes no sense and is filled with mind-numbingly stupid shit. In the end I enjoyed it, but can admit it's not a very good story.
>>
>>82885581
Worthless explanations by an illiterate pleb
>>
>>82885639
>the characters were subject to gravity and so could not simply float
sound like someone had been watching too much Anime
>>
>>82886125
Erich von Däniken is ayy lmao tinfoil kino.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.