[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interstellar

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 226
Thread images: 29

File: interstellardata.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
interstellardata.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
why did they not immediately turn around as soon as they realized there is only water?
>>
did your copy not have sound?
>>
who lands on a planet that looks like nothing but knee-high water for as far as the eye can see and says "YEP LOOKS HABITABLE"
>>
>as the eye can see
Thales pls
>>
>>82869434
Were you watching the movie on mute?
>>
>>82869434
>>82869755
>>82870224

>being this retarded
>>
File: 1495060575749.gif (504KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495060575749.gif
504KB, 1080x1080px
>>82869727
>>82870224
Enlighten us please.
>>
>>82869434
>only water
>"only"

Tell me anon, how does it feel to be a sub intelligent brainlet?
>>
>>82869727

Kek.

This pretty much.
>>
>>82869434
Are you deaf or did you watch it without sound?
>>
wtf is this "did you have no sound" meme?
>>
Why did they go there if time goes fast?
>>
>>82869434
you might have forgotten to unmute ur tv
>>
Empirism > Rationalism
>>
>>82869434
You watched the movie without sound
>>
>>82870828
I'm a tv newfag but I'm guessing it's because the music was so loud you couldn't hear any of the dialog
>>
Did you accidentally hit the mute button on your remote?
>>
>>82871352

A newfag AND a retard! Will wonders never cease.
>>
File: 1491857263417.gif (4MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1491857263417.gif
4MB, 200x200px
>>82869755
>>
>>82869434
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg5QMysuSYg
>>
because love
>>
genuinely can anyone explain to me the physics behind the waves? when i watched it i thought it was just extreme tides but my friend says that wouldn't account for it. anyone know the science?
>>
>>82871991
>genuinely can anyone explain to me the physics behind the waves? when i watched it i thought it was just extreme tides but my friend says that wouldn't account for it. anyone know the science?
i don't know shit about anything, so don't take my word for it, but i'm guessing they just made it up because it's cool and that something like this would be completely impossible to occur naturally.
>>
>>82869755
What if the planet didn't have waves and all of humanity just had to live in knee high water
>>
>>82872537

they could build boats
>>
>>82869434
Fuck I need to rewatch this i sure as hell dont remember anything about
>>
>>82872288
It was so close to the black hole I guess that's what caused them?
>>
File: rooofl.jpg (56KB, 800x804px) Image search: [Google]
rooofl.jpg
56KB, 800x804px
>>82871352
>>
>>82872558
Out of what?
>>
If time on the planet was so slow because it was close to the black hole shouldn't time have been even slower as Cooper approached the event horizon? Like being that close to the black hole shouldn't seconds for him have been like years for everyone else? So why didn't he come out of the wormhole thousands or millions of years into the future?
>>
>>82872912
the ships they came with
>>
>>82872912
Ice.
>>
>>82872912
Wood from earth. Raze the forests.

Then create islands and terraform water planet. Plant trees. Make more boats with wood from new trees. ???? profits
>>
>>82869755

if it werent for the giant waves its not like houses built on stilts exist or simply building platforms for living on would be hard

the bigger question is, how is a planet that close to a black hole considered habitable? like it would fuck up space travel from then on so badly with the time dilation
>>
>>82871991
Yes it's the tide. The "wave" shouldn't be as steep as it is but that's just some creative licence that Nolan had to take.

Imagine an egg-shaped blob of water with a planet in the middle... and then pretend the pointy bit is more pointy because the movie requires it.
>>
>>82872961
He came out like 70 years into the future you dumbass.
>>
>>82872288

the planet rotates and the part closest to the black hole is more affected by its gravitational pull, so water is pulled towards it, so technically the waves dont move, the planet does. same as how waves on our planet are formed by the moon
>>
>>82873053
>how is a planet that close to a black hole considered habitable? like it would fuck up space travel from then on so badly with the time dilation
beggars cant be choosers
>>
>>82873059

yeah and it shouldve been thousands, he was literally so close to the event horizon that mere seconds should have been centuries
>>
>>82873059
That's exactly his point.

>>82872961
The ascended future humans who built the tesseract and place the wormhole near Saturn probably put him back to "70 years later" because that would let him see his legacy.
>>
>>82873059
But Anne Hathaway wasn't shown as significantly older so the implication is that he and Anne Hathaway lost the same amount of time during there slingshot move but he apparently didn't lose any time over her during his actual descent towards the event horizon. Whereas if you follow the logic of the movie he should have come out way older than her, in fact it should have been like hundreds or thousands of years later, maybe more.
>>
>>82871991
The tide in real life is caused by the moon's gravity. The water planet in interstellar has a much stronger gravitational force pulling on it, so the waves are massive.
>>
>people still hating on the best star trek movie
>>
I hate that all my engineer teachers like this movie and put photos from it in their fb and jackoff at the possibility of space travel

Like, i just want to graduate and have money for buying a house and you are jacking off to anime fantasies because you are a baby boomer who were born in a society with all opportunities so space travel seems like self-realization to you, while at the same time fucking up new generations with your shitty impossible exams

Fuck you Mr Wolf
>>
>>82873207
Yeah but the movie is so vague about what the future humans can actually do. Like they can place wormholes and transport people across time but apparently they can't move some dirt and fuck with a watch?
>>
>>82873053
The main problem with that planet is that they somehow pull away with their little ship. If the time dilation was that severe, the gravity well would have made it impossible to escape.
>>
>>82869755
>You can see all there is to see on an entire planet from a single vantage point.
You must be really tall or on a very tiny planet.
>>
>>82872961
the wormhole is a passage through space and time. He could have lost thousands of years like you said, but the wormhole pointed a specific point in space time. That space and time being 70 years later in the milky way galaxy.
>>
>>82873320
The future humans are extradimensional beings whom we couldn't comprehend. There could easily be some 5D causality reason why they had to make it happen the way it did.
>>
>>82873359
>need a 3 stage rocket to leave Earth
>little lander can reach orbit all by itself
>>
>>82873381
So he takes thousands or millions of years to fall into the singularity. But he pops out of the wormhole only 70 years later, meaning he traveled backwards in time. Doesn't this imply though that the black hole would still exist in the other galaxy? Could Cooper travel to the Anne Hathaway galaxy, cruise up next to the black hole, and watch himself falling into the event horizon?
>>
>>82873309
I know who you are and I'm failing you.
>>
>>82873541
probably? I dunno man, I'm not a physicist.

The only thing I don't get is what this anon raised: >>82873220

Even if you account for what I said about space time, if seventy years have passed in milky way time, how does that correlate to time passed in anne hathaway's galaxy?
>>
File: 1252626778648.jpg (24KB, 397x555px) Image search: [Google]
1252626778648.jpg
24KB, 397x555px
>>82869434

>biggest scientific minds from earth
>land on planet next to black hole
>see ocean
>don't turn around instantly because you know, we have the exact same thing on earth with lunar tidal waves

Literally babby's first physics lesson.
>>
>>82873755
I think the time should have been the same, it seemed like the only time they weren't operating on a 1:1 scale with milky way time was during black hole gravity fuckery and since the planet she was going to was the furthest away from the black hole iirc there shouldn't have been any time dilation
>>
>>82873934
ah, OK. Been awhile since I've seen the film.
>>
>>82872912
You woild not need to bring supplies to build buildings on a regular planet

Idiot
>>
>dig a massive deep hole
>all the knee high water on the planet drains into it
>suddenly you have global continent fit for living on with a big lake in the middle
>>
>>82869434
Because it was a bad movie masquerading as kino
>>
>OMG SCIENTISTS ARE SUPER SMART AND NEVER MAKE MISTAKES!
>unless they say things that go against my political views! in that case scientists are stupid and I am the only smart one around
>>
>>82873638

yeah well i was gonna fail that course anyway go ahead
>>
>>82873447
BUT DID YOU SEE IT IN IMAXâ„¢???? NEIL DENIGGRO TYSON THE SCIENCE MAN SAID A WORM HOLE LOOKS EXACTLY LIKE THAT
>>
>>82873053
Yeah the universe would pass humanity by. Why even bother. On top of that they could've found Miller's planet and come back for water planet later and the chick, if she was alive, would've only had to wait another hour or 6 lol
>>
File: tidal-lock.jpg (79KB, 534x601px) Image search: [Google]
tidal-lock.jpg
79KB, 534x601px
>>82871991
>>82873253
>>82873058
It's not the tide. No force of gravity could create a tide like that without just tearing the planet apart first.

The planet is shaped like a football because of the extreme gravity of the black hole. It still retains some of the rotational velocity from before it got so close to the black hole, so tries to rotate like a normal planet, but the black hole pulls it from an odd angle relative to its axis of rotation so it just kind of wobbles instead. This wobbling effect causes the oceans to "slosh" around in gigantic waves

source: Kip Thorne, "Science of Interstellar"
>>
>>82870956
As soon as Romily said that they should've been like "next!"
>>
>>82875728
or maybe it has nothing to do with the axis of rotation and it's more about how the planet is not fully tidally-locked to the black hole yet (tidal lock means one side of the planet always faces the black hole 100% of the time), and is rocking into the locked position. I don't fucking remember, sorry. But it's definitely not just the tides of the ocean
>>
>Smartest scientists with the most advanced technology didn't think to probe each planet in orbit before landing and dying
>>
>>82870956
It was closer, so if they could pull off a quick inspection, they would save fuel.
>>
>>82873447
>>82875669
Saving fuel and earth's atmosphere neardenthal
>>
How did they know they could land in the water?
Why was it so easy for them to take off again and get into space?
Why is Nolan such a hack?
>>
>>82875842
a planet that close to an event horizon would be torn apart by the variations in time dilation across the planet's diameter.
>>
>>82873541
When you fall into a black hole, time speeds up for you. If you could survive, you will eventually see the end of the universe around you.

So in theory, if you could navigate the event horizon of a black hole, you could navigate time.
>>
>>82871691
Wow thank you! That was amazing!

Going to have to watch interstellar again for how that music made me feel. And now I have interest in organs.

Thanks anon!
>>
>>82876071

I'm so glad man! We are here to help out each other!

Please give me gold!
>>
>>82876115
No gold but heres a pic of me cat
>>
>>82873541
the bulk beings did everything. kip thorne thinks you can get out of a black hole by traveling through time (hes a moron) so that scene with coop grabbing catwoman's hand is the bulk beings tracing him backwards along his course of entry, and of course freaking out for a second because the fucking hillbilly fuckwit just grabbed something in a completely different reference frame and if he doesn't let go somethings going to get atomized.
>>
>>82873541
yeah
>>82876062
you mean going in and out to go to the future? because there's no way to go backwards
>>
>>82875864
they didn't probe because they thought that Miller was still alive on the planet, telling them that it was habitable and had water. In retrospect they probably should have sent a remote probe first, but it would've taken years to learn anything from it due to the time dilation.

>>82876023
>How did they know they could land in the water?
they didn't think it was water. From far away the waves looked like they were standing still (they thought they were mountains)

>Why was it so easy for them to take off again and get into space?
unexplained future-tech allows the rangers have extreme thrust when taking off. They used the wave like a launch pad

>>82876055
not if it's orbiting a "rapidly rotating" black hole spinning at near the speed of light
>>
>>82876062
time dilation is a function of mass. There's no way to trick it into letting you go back in time.
>>
>>82876249
>not if it's orbiting a "rapidly rotating" black hole spinning at near the speed of light

... if a planet were being subjected to any level of gravity induced time dilation then parts of it would be traveling faster than the rest at any given instant. So, yea, it doesn't matter magical shit the black hole is doing, planet would be shredded.
>>
>>82876282
>time dilation is a function of mass
all the laws of physics break down once you go past the event horizon. There is only speculation about what would happen either way. Meaning there's no way to *disprove* that it could send things back in time, ridiculous as it sounds
>>
>>82876432
A, that's crap. B, an object would never actually get near an event horizon. As approaching an event horizon would bring that object closer to the reference frame of the core. Thus, from the object's perspective, accelerating the black hole's evaporation. Thus, the closer the object gets, the further away the event horizon shrinks until sufficient mass bleeds out to evaporate the black hole completely and get stuck with what's left of the exploding star.
>>
>>82875728
this explanation makes less sense than the tidal pull. you're saying the planet became elongated before the tides became extreme. it doesn't hold water
>>
>>82876432
you don't understand how time works
>>
>>82876189
good kitty
>>
>>82876654
This is entirely not true and you should feel bad for posting this. A free falling object WILL NOT see the black hole evaporate more quickly as it approaches. Only an object undergoing acceleration with respect to the black hole will see an increase in Hawking radiation.
>>
File: mg_blacklhole_simulation_01.gif (2MB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
mg_blacklhole_simulation_01.gif
2MB, 640x400px
>>82876654
you mean like the object's sense of time would slow down so much that the black hole would evaporate faster than the gravity could make the object fall into the black hole? If that were true, then how could objects ever fall into black holes and make them acquire mass? Because they obviously do. Stars get sucked in all the time.

from the object's perspective, the event horizon would start to envelop their entire field of view as they got closer to it (due to the black hole distorting the light around it trying to escape), until the entire rest of the universe appeared as nothing but a pinhole. You are saying that time would be going so slow here that the rest of the universe would be happening at billions of years per second of time experienced by the object?

>until sufficient mass bleeds out to evaporate the black hole completely and get stuck with what's left of the exploding star.
scientists are basically guessing when it comes to this. The next best theory is that everything just vanishes when the black hole evaporates completely
>>
>>82869434
I've never watched the movie. If this is apparently a planet of 2 feet deep water everywhere on top of some sort of solid matter, couldn't you just build up a hill or something?
>>
File: 1494271080488.jpg (98KB, 983x758px) Image search: [Google]
1494271080488.jpg
98KB, 983x758px
>>82873370
>tfw planetlet
>>
>>82877090
Nobody does for sure. If time and space are so linked, why can I move as I want within space, but only forward in time?
Why is there a finite speed of light?
>>
>>82872558
For knee high water?
>>
>>82877746
time is not a timeline like in science fiction. it doesn't exist in this way. it's a way of measuring duration, not a place that you can even theoretically travel to.
>>
>>82877215
>an object steadily increasing time dilation won't approach the reference frame of the black hole's core
>>
>>82877746
time doesn't really mean anything. It's an abstract measurement of change
>>
>>82877844
>>82877948
time is more than just a measurement. Read up on general / special relativity and the concept of spacetime
>>
>>82877441
>dude stars get sucked into black holes lmao!

>>
>>82872961
I asked the same question the night after this movie opened but all the /tv/ subhumans called me nasty names
>>
>>82878043
i have read it. now explain how you can travel back in time. you can't because that's not part of the concept. mathematically it's a dimension but it is never described as a timeline you can scrub.
>>
Ok you braindead retards, actual sciencefag here. The thing with black holes is, we know nothing about them, they only exist on paper, nobody knows what's inside a black hole, there could be dinosaurs or another dimension. And time goes ways slower inside a black hole, like one second there would be 500 years for us, so Cooper would die of old age like half a second after he got out of the black hole.
>>
>>82878158
>now explain how you can travel back in time

I asked first. And I never said it was a timeline. If time is a dimension, like space, why does it only go one way - unlike space? The laws of physics that we know about are reversible microscopically, yet clearly something irreversible is happening in the case of time passing.

My point is we don't know enough about time to say we actually understand it. There are still lots of unanswered questions
>>
>>82878340
>why does time has to be more than one way?
>why can direction and space only have up down sideways?
>>
Fuck you guys, I want to replay Steins;Gate now
>>
>>82878089
what? If you've got something to say, spit it out
>>
>>82878377
So tell me then, why does time only move forward? Just because "that's the way it is"? I want something better than that you faggot
>>
>>82873359
>what is the Oberth effect
>>
>>82878334
why would he die of old age? From his own point of view he wouldn't have aged more than those few seconds, while the rest of the universe would have aged tremendously
>>
>>82878491
then why can't you move into yourself faggot
>>
>>82878491
Because time is the direction in which entropy increases, and your brain stores memory by creating chemical bonds.

Thus, you remember the past but not the future.
>>
>>82878730
weak, you can do better than that
>>
>>82878810
you gotta bait better than this
>>
>>82872912
love
>>
>>82878648
I don't even know how to answer you, stop being retarded. Ok losers I'm out, peace
>>
>>82869434
The better question was "why waste time on the planet closest to the black hole that has shitty time dilation and WEIRD gravity when we can go to the other TWO distress beacons"
>>
>>82871352
I unironically had this problem in many scenes of the movie

The score is amazing but what the fuck
>>
>>82879202
>I don't even know how to answer you
are you stupid? "sciencefag" my ass
>>
>>82872912
Well it worked in Waterworld.
>>
The fuck was wrong with earth anyway? Was it some funky geological activity releasing shit into the atmosphere killing all the crops or what? And how did growing stuff in isolation cause it to die anyways, are future earth botanists retarded?
>>
>>82879264
lack of fuel.
they had an argument about this in the movie, pay attention.
>>
>>82869434
women making decisions from both ends.
>>
>>82879357
the humans from the future caused the blight so that humans would go and look for another home and find the wormhole, I mean geeez it's clearly a closed loop
>>
>>82879362
I remember them needing to loop around with the gravity, but it doesn't explain why they wasted time visiting the planet with the weird gravity and time dilation in the first place
>>
>>82879357
Some airborne bacteria, it was probably a last minute asspull to not offend the "global warming is a hoax" faggots
>>
>>82869434
this is just like how I feel about this movie
I go in and hope to either be on dry land or fucking drown in the deep sea but what you get is knee high water
>>
>>82876370
A tidal force comes about because gravity has a different strength on two sides of an object. This differential in force becomes less as the size of the object creating the gravitational pull increases in comparison to the object being pulled. Miller's world was extremely puny compared to the size of the black hole.

The rapid rotation of the black hole just prevents the planet from being sucked in. The sheer size of the black hole evens out the tidal forces so they don't rip the planet apart - they only elongate it.
>>
>>82873053
It's next to a worm hole, not a black hole.
>>
>>82876654
Next time don't be a wikipedia physicist
t. graduate student in physics

and no I'm not writing a novel about the many ways you are wrong.
>>
>>82879494
Wait but if that's the case why were the crops in the lab at the NASA base dying too?
>>
>>82879549
for the love of god you assclowns, black holes don't suck.
>>
>>82879592
P L O T

Probably they just couldn't sterilize it well enough without also killing the crops themselves
>>
File: Into de worm hole.webm (3MB, 720x314px) Image search: [Google]
Into de worm hole.webm
3MB, 720x314px
>>82879559
no it's definitely a black hole (Gargantua)

there is a wormhole that appears near Saturn, though, with another side appearing orbiting Gargantua

>>82879612
Pulled in, whatever. It's a figure of speech and you knew exactly what I meant by it
>>
>>82879592
>>82879616
Better question - if the problem is a microorganism, how is it solved by trasplanting crops into space?
>>
>>82869727
top kek
>>
File: waterworldwasagreatmovie.jpg (213KB, 736x398px) Image search: [Google]
waterworldwasagreatmovie.jpg
213KB, 736x398px
>>82869755
>>
File: gargantua.webm (3MB, 720x314px) Image search: [Google]
gargantua.webm
3MB, 720x314px
>>82878748
So does that mean time can't move backwards because entropy can't move in reverse? Or that time can possibly move backwards, but it's just impossible for us to perceive it?
>>
File: geocosmos.png (1MB, 1203x850px) Image search: [Google]
geocosmos.png
1MB, 1203x850px
>>82872912
It's actually hollow. The blackhole took them to Bizzaro World.
>>
>>82879494
you actually believe global warming could ever threaten the survival of mankind?
>>
>>82879886
What it means is that time is not a thing that moves, nor do you really "move" through time. You perceive time in the way that you do, because of the physical nature of matter and energy.
>>
>>82873370
>>You can see all there is to see on an entire planet from a single vantage point.

They were IN SPACE you fucking subhuman chimp.
>>
>>82877441
blown away
>>
>>82879968
this
>>
File: Wave.webm (3MB, 720x314px) Image search: [Google]
Wave.webm
3MB, 720x314px
>>82879427
They were still getting messages from Miller that it was habitable and that it even had water in addition to the mountains already surveyed. Because of the time dilation, she had only been there a few minutes by the time they came through the wormhole, and hadnt yet discovered the dangerous waves.

They still argued about going because of the dangerous proximity to the black hole, and the extreme time dilation, but ultimately voted to go because it was already pretty close to them
>>
>>82879931
Would a "climate disaster" be beneficial for our species?

I remember hearing that stuff about how nogs never advanced because the environment was always the same and friendly where as the people up north were forced to work together in order to survive winter and there was like a need for advancement.
>>
>>82879717
You're implying black holes gravitational profile is different from any other stellar body. It isn't. You're an assclown.
>>
>>82880164

Miller decided it was habitable within a few minutes?

wow
>>
File: cat.jpg (120KB, 1600x1048px) Image search: [Google]
cat.jpg
120KB, 1600x1048px
>>82871691
thanks, listening to this thread while reading this song made the thread more enjoyable

there are planets with civilizations that don't have a moon and the concept of tides is alien and foreign to them
>>
>>82880213
Where did I ever imply that? Any stellar body with that much mass (about 100 million suns) and that much rotational velocity (99.9999% the speed of light) would have the same gravitational profile, if such a body were ever to exist

>assclown
>assclown
are you 12?
>>
>>82874665
>OMG SCIENTISTS ARE SUPER SMART AND NEVER MAKE MISTAKES!
literally no one said that.
>unless they say things that go against my political views! in that case scientists are stupid and I am the only smart one around
Scientists do have biases just like any other human being, but tell me what sort of political bias made them enter a planet whose surface is made out of nothing but water?
>>
1) She is a woman
2) She is a Jew
Any more questions?
>>
>>82873868
Michael Caine would never have fucked a Jew let alone made a kid with in
Her entire existence in the movie is pointless
>>
File: oh.jpg (40KB, 576x440px) Image search: [Google]
oh.jpg
40KB, 576x440px
>>82869434
>cinemasins type of "criticism"
>relies on not actually seeing the movie in question
>>
File: wormhole orbit.webm (3MB, 720x314px) Image search: [Google]
wormhole orbit.webm
3MB, 720x314px
>>82880432
they didn't know it was nothing but water until they got there. They heard reports that there were mountains as well as water, and I assume the waves looked like mountains from orbit because of the time dilation making them appear frozen
>>
>>82877035
>you're saying the planet became elongated before the tides became extreme. it doesn't hold water

No, the water would obviously move before the planet would elongate. The water would just continue to slosh around in giant bulges after the planet had elongated, as the planet rocked back and forth trying to stabilize on its axis
>>
>>82880754
so they're at the point where they're looking to move to a black hole-stretched planet? something that close to a black hole could not be considered earth-like. it doesn't make sense
>>
>>82881163
it was a bad call. Doyle was the one who was really pushing for it, and he paid the price
>>
>>82881192
but they would have known this way before going to the solar system. it's something detectable from a vast distance. maybe even from earth (although i don't remember what they said in the movie)
>>
>say it don't spray it, you faggot fucking nigger
Wow Nolan, that's pretty edgy...
>>
Dumb question but does Earth have a time dilation due to our gravity or how quick we travel through space?

I read once that speed slows aging.
>>
>>82871352
/tv/ newfag

Disgusting

Are you a libtard too?
>>
File: tesseract.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tesseract.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>82881227
they couldn't see through the wormhole from the solar system, and there were only a handful of planets to choose from in the Gargantua system. Communications from the Gargantua system couldn't be sent back to the solar system through the wormhole (though comms from Earth could be received on the Gargantua side)
>>
>>82881263
everything in the universe has its own rate at which time flows based on the speed it is moving through space (in addition to any gravity-induced time dilation effects).

a planet in a galaxy that is moving through space slower than the Milky Way would experience time at a slightly faster rate than we do
>>
>>82881442
Triooy
>>
Romilly didn't teach bitches how to swim
>>
>>82881332
the bitch who flew to it, miller, would have known everything about the planet on the trip in to land, and she still hits the green light button just before getting destroyed by a wave.
>>
How did they ever even catch up with Miller's planet to explore it if it was orbiting the black hole at nearly the speed of light? I mean it had to be orbiting unbelievably fast if it were that close to the black hole.
>>
>>
I can't think of a movie that has such a good score, a fucking neat original concept and such a strong emotional pull. This is why Interstellar is in my top 5.

If that scene where he breaks down watching the tape wasn't in the trailer i probably woulda cried instead of just felt teary.
>>
If they could fit the secret of gravity into a short text message why didn't they include a short segment about immortality
>>
>>82882071
She was only there for a few minutes from her perspective, so she didn't know anything about it really. She hit the green button so early because she was naive and got excited I guess. Cooper and co saw the waves while coming in too, and also thought they were just distant mountains.
>>
I've seen mountain and I've seen waves. What were they playing at?
>>
>>82882050
CASE was based
>>
>>82882424
The movie is amazing. It made me cry multiple times throughout just thinking about some of the concepts they address.
>>
>>82882511
You've never seen waves that big
>>
>>82882424
i absolutely LOVE the score is simply amazing
>>
>>82882590
Yes. Truly a fucking masterpiece. The score just magnifies the emotional pull of certain scenes 100x. The Dr. Mann betrayal, watching the tapes, docking, the "DONT LEAVE MURPH" scene.

oh and btw the inevitable "REDDIT!" comment will come about and to that poster I can assure you reddit fucking hated interstellar

It's too "muh love" and not hard sciency shit for reddit to enjoy it. "love transcends all?? WTF LOL!!! SO STUPID"
"5th dimension:? LOL FUCKING RETARDED HOW DARE THIS MOVIE ADDRESS A REALLY COOL CONCEPT"
>>
>>82882654
you should watch Koyaanisqatsi
the soundtrack to Interstellar feels very much inspired by it
>>
File: Handshake.webm (3MB, 720x314px) Image search: [Google]
Handshake.webm
3MB, 720x314px
someone explain this part to me

how did he get back to Saturn? Was it all just a dream after the tesseract collapsed?
>>
>>82873309
You sound like a fag who fell for the STEM meme. Enjoy working with poo in loos for $30k/year
>>
File: 1480337532922.jpg (56KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1480337532922.jpg
56KB, 645x773px
>>82882841
>tfw brainlet
>>
>>82880173
That's horseshit though. The climate in Greece and Italy is quite friendly yet they had great ancient civilizations. And people in the north lived in mud huts in the forest when Rome conquered them
>>
>>82869755
>looks like nothing but knee-high water
It didn't though, you can't see the bottom, it looked like an ocean to me, I actually said "What the fuck" out loud when I saw them land on it without even checking how deep it was.
>>
>>82884269
Why? If it were deep, their craft would have just floated and they wouldn't have been able to get out. Then they really would have had no reason not to turn back immediately
>>
All those new elements we create inside particle accelerators that only last for like a millionth of a second before decaying - from the perspective of the particles, the new elements last much longer than that because they are moving at near the speed of light and thus time is passing much slower for them. Not only that, but the particles get much more massive as they get closer to the speed of light, to resist going faster than light. It's weird shit
>>
>>82884348
>Then they really would have had no reason not to turn back immediately
Except that putting it into water floods the engines and prevents it taking off ever again unless you can get it out of the water and let it dry out.

It made absolutely no sense.
>>
File: 1484875717311.png (279KB, 407x402px) Image search: [Google]
1484875717311.png
279KB, 407x402px
>>82871352
>>
>They're apparently genius physicists and scientists
>They all conveniently forget time dilation exists in relation to black holes

Shit is Prometheus levels of retarded.
>>
>>82875864
If they were even control of their ships, which I doubt as they were scientists not pilots, then they wouldn't have had the resources to find another planet if they realised theirs wasn't suitable before landing. Assuming they even could: >>82880555
>>
>>82879592
Because they were experimenting with it.

>>82879734
You don't transplant the crops, you take uncontaminated seeds and grow them in uncontaminated soil.
>>
>>82880164
>>82880214
She didn't clear it as habitable, when she survived the landing she activated a ping to indicate it, and the time dilation made it last until the Endurance mission arrived and made them think it was a continuous signal.
>>
>>82881332
>they couldn't see through the wormhole from the solar system
Yes they could, Michael Caine told Coop how they did it in the briefing room and they had pictures of the planets they were going to taken through the wormhole.

>>82881163
Humanity was on the verge of extinction, just watch the movie man.

They also mention when they get through the wormhole that the planet is a lot closer to Gargantua than they previously thought.
>>
>>82873189

People point out minor shit like this, but ignore the fact that the black hole's gravity should've torn him to shreds hundreds of thousands of miles before he got close enough to be sucked in.
>>
>>82882444
>>82884708
They didn't. Is asking questions indicating you didn't watch the movie a new meme?
>>
>>82873189
Do I need to write the theory of relativity on my dick and fuck you in the ass so you can understand it better?
>>
>>82879202
Dude, Cooper would age normally, everybody else (from his POV) would age rapidly, retard
>>
>>82882683
I'm glad there are some people here that see this movie for how great it was, and not just whine about Nolan being a hack
>>
>>82885369
They kinda did. When they talk about going on the water planet they talk about the time dilation but fail to mention that the original scientist could only have been on the water planet for a few minutes. They go down to the planet and are surprised for some reason. Either the characters are prometheus level stupid or this is a genuine oversight in the script.
>>
Interstellar has no rewatchability because so many stupid shit and plot holes, it's almost like Prometheus, but less stupid of course.
>>
>>82882476
>fly in, see nothing but water
>"land"
>all water is knee high

>LOOKS HABITABLE
>>
>>82888032
its the same level of stupid, there aren't any "running in a straight line from a rolling object" scenes and no one freaks out idiotically for no reason.
>>
>>82884414
They would have a radar system that can measure the depth
>>
>>82879147
underrated
>>
>Nolan: ... By the end of Cooper's journey, the wormhole is gone. It's up to us now to undertake the massive journey of spreading out across the face of our galaxy. Brand is still somewhere out there on the far side of the wormhole. The wormhole has disappeared entirely. It's gone.

>IGN: And he has to try and get to Brand in this little ship?

>Nolan: That's the idea.

Wow... So that's the power...... of Nolan....
>>
>>82875946
>saving fuel
wat
>earth's atmosphere
the problem isn't the atmosphere at all. a balloon can float up to the outer stratosphere of earth. what brings it back down is the gravity well. what he was asking is how a tiny lander can reach orbit on an earthlike planet when they needed to jettison at least one stage of a huge rocket just to get into orbit when leaving earth?
>>
>>82888501
>By the end of Cooper's journey, the wormhole is gone

what

when the fuck was that ever indicated
>>
>>82888501
>>82888677
Yes, where? Humanity built the ark ships to get to the wormhole, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get to another fucking galaxy (Millions of lightyears away)
>>
>>82869727

Nice. Hahaha!
>>
>>82869755
All you need is a shovel to make an island
get a medium sized excavator and a year of full day work every day and you have a large habitable space
>>
>>82890026
ignoring the giant retarded waves, when high tide hits that large habitable space is underwater.

also constant erosion
>>
>>82890171
no clue if that wave was the tide or just a wave
we never see the planet properly form up high
>>
File: file.png (454KB, 1620x599px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
454KB, 1620x599px
>>82882424
>Avoided all trailers and spoilers for Interstellar for the last 3 years
>Finally get around to watching it
>Watched it for the first time in 3D VR
>VR headset got soaked in tears
>>
>>82889109
>>82888677
Nolan is just retarded.
Cooper has no chance to ever find the girl again. But he'll try. That's.... the power.... of love....
>>
women are stupid
>>
>>82871352
>>
File: baseketball1.jpg (46KB, 650x360px) Image search: [Google]
baseketball1.jpg
46KB, 650x360px
was it Nolan's Intention to completely steal the name of the main character nickname and all?
>>
>>82891504

yes
>>
>>82890968
>>82889109

Are you sure it is really about finding her? I thought it implied that she would start a new civilization there which could then "someday" be discovered by the humans from earth.

No idea why Cooper goes out to search for her though. It is probably just him realizing that there is nothing left for him on Earth/wherever in the solar system so he probably goes out on a final journey to die alone.
>>
File: 1489166921054.png (532KB, 571x569px) Image search: [Google]
1489166921054.png
532KB, 571x569px
>>82879717

That handshake scene was so forced and out of the movie that it pretty much ruined everything that came after.

What a shame many such cases in current movies
>>
>>82891754
It's not clear that the wormhole closes by the end of the journey to Gargantua though and Murphy says in the final mologue that he has to go find her, implying that he has the means to get there.
It could also be possible that Humanity now has the knowledge to create stable wormholes (Gravity discoveries and stuff like that)

I guess what Nolan said was something he wanted to do with the character but they didin't let him, he also wanted to leave the inside the black hole stuff outside the movie if I'm not mistaken, leaving the ending ambigous.
>>
>>82879906
how many Acid trips.
>>
>>82888107
>fly to earth
>land in the ocean
>see nothing but water

>hmm, must be a water planet!
>>
the far side of the planet relative to the black hole wouldn't have had any water on it at all. The tidal forces would have pulled all the water to the near side >>82875728
>>
File: just right big guy.jpg (35KB, 679x681px) Image search: [Google]
just right big guy.jpg
35KB, 679x681px
>>82879147
kek
>>
*glass breaks*
>>
Did anyone else shit there pants for a milla secound ,thinking some scary ass water beasts would show up.
>>
>>82871991
>physics behind the waves
It was just bullshit to impress retards
>>
>>82892099
would have been epic

I kinda like Nolan
>>
File: Millers World Ranger Landing.webm (3MB, 720x314px) Image search: [Google]
Millers World Ranger Landing.webm
3MB, 720x314px
>>82869434
they wanted Miller's data
Thread posts: 226
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.