[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is David Lynch overrated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 173
Thread images: 4

File: Lynch.jpg (457KB, 1125x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Lynch.jpg
457KB, 1125x1500px
Is David Lynch overrated?
>>
>>82855827
No
>>
>>82855827
>look at my stupid hair
okay? is that why you spam this faggots face every day
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 415x417px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 415x417px
Stop overrating me
>>
>>82855827
Oh hell yes. A total hack too.
>>
>>82855827
no, and the three types of people who dislike him are as follows :
there are contrarians who just want to sound edgy.
there are normies/retards who are brainlets.
and there are pretentious fags who think they are above things that are more mainstream than whatever hard to find things they watch.

If you dislike Lynch you probably fall into one of these groups. Just because Lynch has found mainstream success and has drawn in a lot of different crowds, does not in anyway diminish the power of his work.

If you, deep down, have a serious problem with disliking Lynch because it is popular or overrated, or don't like how Twin Peaks has in someway been adopted into normie/nerd culture, you are retarded and fucked.

Also stop asking for opinions on 4chan, it's no ones job other than your own to develop artistic taste.
>>
No he isn't.
>>
>>82855827
I wood halve too cei "no"
>>
I don't think so but that said I couldn't sit through Inland Empire. I loved all his other stuff though
>>
>>82855882
>>82855884
>>82855898
>>82855971

Shitposters go away back to /pol/
>>
>>82857288
How is the last guy shitposting?
>>
>>82855827
Extremely, yes.
>>
>>82855827
what a pretentious faggot
>>
He's really not. Man is one of the last true artists in film. You can't be overrated when everyone and their mother tries to rip your style off and fails miserably - i.e. His vision is so profound that it inspires imitation yet it evades reproduction
>>
He's overrated in the same way Pink Floyd is, in that he has two separate fanbases. Both of which recognize his supposed genius, but one of which fellates him tremendously and lauds him as this transcendent visionary who's anything more than a talented filmmaker with the ability to weave intricate storylines.
>>
>>82855827
He's a true artist.
>>
I first watched Twin Peaks in the early 2000s and there was something eerily familiar about the show even though i'd never watched it. It's because the show was huge in Japan apparently and had a huge influence of video game developers there. So many games basically plagiarized the music.
>>
File: IMG_2556.png (54KB, 800x102px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2556.png
54KB, 800x102px
>>82857648
case in point
>>
Twin Peaks and Mulholland Drive are overrated, but they're so overrated that they make the majority of his work underrated.
>>
>>82857783
Twin Peaks is basically a live action anime that hugely influenced tons of actual anime.
>>
>i follow the rule of symbolism. nothing important can look like what it is
It's that simple to be avant garde?
>>
just a little bit desu
>>
Blue Velvet is the Emperor's New Clothes of films. The acting and dialogue are atrocious. I do respect Lynch's concept that some people are simply evil and there isn't anything more to it; but even allowing for that the characters are pretty stupid.
>>
>>82858038
ur an idiot
>>
My 15 y/o cousin "loves" his work but he only watched Inland Empire and Twin Peaks. I'm pretty sure only teens that think they're cleverer than "normies" pretend to like him.
>>
>>82858057
This happens every time I've mentioned that I think Blue Velvet is one of the most overrated movies on /tv/. Someone will criticize me and my intelligence without substantiating anything and further confirm to me that it's the Emperor's New Clothes of films
>>
>>82855827
YEH
>>
>>82858038
agreed. its over rated trash that tries to be shocking so you ignore its plot holes and shitty acting/writing

>>82858057
stay mad normie
>>
>>82858156
What plot holes are there?
>>
>>82858254
> no one in a apartment notices a rotting decaying corpse

thats a big one
>>
>>82857116
I appreciate the effort that went into making this post appear creative
>>
>>82858340
Whose apartment? What decaying corpse?
Do you mean Dorothy's husband? Who was probably brought to the apartment that night?
>>
>>82858401

why would they bring a corpse anywhere other than a place to bury or disspose of it? theres one.

its more complicated if they brought it there. why didnt he die there? what would be the point bringing him there but not his ear?
shit writing either way you look at it.

>but but its based because he showed some naked spic chick lol and the villian was a fucking white male lol
>>
So i watched today whole season 1 and it was nice. What should i do next? I heard s2 and the movie are shite but i want to be prepared before s3. I'm torn apart right here lads.
>>
Blue Velvet is his most overrated film by far. It still does retain a lot of the artistic merit you see in other Lynch films but besides that it was underwhelming and overhyped. The mobster guy from Lost Highway is more memorable than Frank Booth.
>>
>>82858508
They brought him to the apartment alive, and then they killed him there. They removed his ear prior to the start without killing him.
He is not a rotting corpse, he was clearly killed recently. Stop talking out of your ass and just stick with Twin Peaks.
>>
Has anyone got into transcendental meditation because of him? I just found out about it and it seems interesting, Scorsese apparently does it as well. On the other hand it seems quite cultish. Not sure what to think.
>>
>>82858582
>mobster guy
Mr. Eddy/Dick Laurent? I felt that Frank was scarier, he seemed to have this air of unpredictability about him that Mr. Eddy didn't. Like you'd know if Mr. Eddy was gonna come after you, but with Frank you could never tell what he was going to do, he was so volatile in his emotions.
>>
>>82858695
As long as you don't stop taking what doctors recommend, you may as well give it a go.
>>
Kinda
>>
>>82858695
I'm interested. A lot of cool celebrities seem into it, and with Lynch especially endorsing it so much with how he works, it must be very useful
>>
>>82858695

Meditation is a pretty beneficial thing to take up but it's pretty clear that the organized meditation movement is about making money off of rich western people than anything else. Go ahead and learn it but don't convince yourself that you have to pay an old, bearded indian dude a lot of money to do it correctly.
>>
No person with cinema knowledge rates him, so no
>>
>>82858508
See>>82855971
>three types of people who dislike him are as follows :
>there are contrarians who just want to sound edgy.
>there are normies/retards who are brainlets.
>and there are pretentious fags who think they are above things that are more mainstream than whatever hard to find things they watch.
So which one of the three are you? I'm guessing probably 2, then 1
>>
>>82858771
Does that apply to the illiterate?
>>
just marathoned last 6 episodes of twin peaks what did i think??
>>
>>82858817
I'm saying not all opinions matter, if lots of plebs like him (like the case of Lynch) it doesn't become overrated
>>
>>82858863
WOW BOB WOW
>>
>>82858620
>hey brought him to the apartment alive, and then they killed him there

for what raisen?

>lol dude lets cut a part of body here then take a alive bleeding man all the way back to his appartment but like there wont be any witnesses to see or hear us because plotholes and lazy writing just to be shocking lol dude
>>
>>82858949
agreed david drumpf is a shitty "artist" who neer has black people in his worksq. all his stories are the same thing

wow creepy part of town that everyone thought was normal quiet place

wwwwwoooowwwwwwwwwww
>>
>>82858547
watch season 2 up to episode 9 and then stop
>>
>>82858949
We don't know where his ear was cut. The ear being cut took place before the start of the film.
I mean, nothing you've talked about has happened in the film. And to top it off, nothing you've said would even be considered a plot hole.
>>
did twin peaks have the first ever apple laptop product placement in season 2 episode 11
>>
>>82859072
>dude weed lol

thats all i hear from you
so its not a plot hole that the hole movie is based on a shitty set up

>what if some druggy lunatic brought back home a bleeding screaming man who is about to be murdered but no witnesses see or hear anything in a crowded city apartment but like then he lives there and white guy gives a spic drugs(instead of the other way irl) and she goes all the way naked to the suburbs and no one notices or calls cops to the plot deems it too be a schocking moment so lol like what if everyone is looking and its awkward because hes a teenager with a a screaming naked beaner on his lawn that no one noticed from her house in city to his house in suburb, lol no one saw ahahaha
how is that good writing? every time the bad guy does something or something bad happens theres never witnesses or cops or evidence or a audience going this is retarded because they are lynch drones and lol dude weed scenes are more better than plot to them
>>
Definitely not. The majority of his movies are great and even his less than great movies like Wild At Heart are still pretty good and hold to his style of filmmaking. The most people can say is that he's pretentious but most people using that term these days are using it incorrectly.
>>
>>82855827

Eraserhead and Mullolland Dr are pure shit. Twin Peaks is okay at best. No idea why people like this guy.
>>
>>82859355
>The most people can say is that he's pretentious but most people using that term these days are using it incorrectly.

only pretentious people say people use pretentious wrongly.... what a fag. lynch sucks. hes a old racist fat white guy.
>>82859380
>Eraserhead and Mullolland Dr are pure shit.

isnt one of them with some retard baby and a lady with a beard singing through pipes.......... ughhhhhh i hated that movie. his "art" is just him trying to be edgy so people think hes smart or something. plus he never has any blacks in his movies.
>>
>>82859001
Maybe he thinks white people are more aesthetic than niggers.
I don't see you complaining that Jews have obtained a stranglehold over the cultural production and financial industries, and feature only their own in the upper management of those ventures.
You're probably a hook nosed kike, frightened that someone might force you to disgorge your gains, and determined to liquidate us all before it happens, that's why.
It's ok. Everyone gets frightened from time to time.
And sometimes, it's for good reason.
>>
>>82859416
>>82859416
>Maybe he thinks white people are more aesthetic than niggers.

hes wrong according to every girl ive ever seen interviewed also thats very racist blacks are more prefereed sexually
>>82859416
>You're probably a hook nosed kike

now your being ante sesmetic. reported.
>>
>>82859411

Eraserhead is the one with the deformed baby. It's just pure nonsense. Easily in my top 5 worst movies I've ever seen.
>>
>>82855827
No.
>>
>>82858547
Don't listen to>>82859032
Watch as much as you can
>>
>>82855827
Yes. Massively overrated by idiots.
>>
>>82859742
agreed

+1
>>
>>82855827
i like that he is a one of a kind, and nobody really tries to imitate him, but yes. his work never feels human, and thats ok in some movies. but ive never watched something of his and thought there was something big to take away from it. i guess with technical skill, he is good reference. but i cant think of one movie of his i like
>>
>>82857648
this frankly.

He's great at what he does. But he's not without fault and not everything he's done is gold despite his autistic super fans saying otherwise.

However he still made some stone cold classics and its undeniable that he's mastered the art of unease and creeping unpleasantness.

The Elephant Man is probably the best place to start with him. It's an accessible and wonderful looking film with sterling performances all round.
>>
>>82859411
>never has any blacks in his movies
I distinctly remember two black guys working at the store Kyle goes to in Blue Velvet
>>
>>82859772
>He's great at what he does

no hes not

>However he still made some stone cold classics

no he hasnt
fucking normies
>>
>>82859729
And the movie?
>>
>>82858547

i just watched 1-9 then 17-22. There's no reason for season 2 to be so long. I missed a few things like why were they playing chess and stuff but i don't think it's that important.
>>
>>82859841

Movie is worth watching, some really good stuff in it. It's like a trip in the life of a teenage drug addict with demons and stuff
>>
>>82859809
Erasherhead , The Elephant Man, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and of course, Twin Peaks
>>
>>82859793
>I distinctly remember two black guys working at the store Kyle goes to in Blue Velvet
uuummm is that fare to you? 2 p.o.c at a video store?working? why cant they be the main character?
>>
>>82858073
This.

I used to like him when I was a tryhard teen but then I grew up.
>>
>>82859854
>can even be bothered to sit through 8 episodes

pleb
>>
>>82859411
>ughhhhhh
Fuck off
>>
>>82857648
>He's overrated in the same way Pink Floyd is

The difference is that Pink Floyd accomplish success and not only mainstream success, but also they produced one of the best selling albums of all time: The Dark Side of the Moon.
This is like if David Lynch would directed Avatar o Titanic.

Maybe Radiohead is a better exaple to relate it to Lynch´s work.
>>
>>82859854
I think the only thing I would skip on the rewatch are the James scenes. Everything else is worth it, even the Nadine scenes, bc even though they were really cringey at first, they had incredible payoff with the finale
>>
Hasn't made a good film in over 30 years and the only people who like Twin Peaks are the idiot manchildren and vacuous whores who think "the 80s were so kewl". Just like stranger things.
>>
I think people don't understand his stuff but they just pretend they do and that they like it to seem superior because they are insecure.
Same thing with the director of the tree of life.
>>
>>82859931
>>ughhhhhh
>Fuck off
>dude lol someone writes something or says something i dont like and because im so intellectually superior i can look down on them and dismiss it by writing a shitty thing, but ironically im judging there shitty thing with my own dismissible shit lol irony! dude ! lol
>>
>>82855827
someone post sexy mulholland drive with sound
>>
>>82859993
This. I admit I don't understand David Lynch. I never had a dream that is similar in any way to his films. And I also never had a dream that is similar to Dali or Magritte's paintings. The difference is that I find Dali's paintings powerful, Magritte's paintings interesting, and Lynch's films boring
>>
>>82859966

Nadine scenes were just comic relief in the end though. That plot was never really resolved either. She just got her memory back and they didn't even bother resolving the situation. They had so many episodes and the conclusion was just a punchline
>>
>>82859963
Radiohead are also hugely successful though.
>>
>>82859993

i think you're projecting
>>
>>82859963
>sales are an indicator of quality
>the dark side of the moon is the musical equivalent of avatar
No
>>
>>82860081
>dude! your projecting lol! i dont know what that word memes but ill use it because lol 4chan does lol!
>>
>>82859908
They were pretty cool in the scene they were in. and even higlighted Kyle's white privilege. Not to mention Twin Peaks had one of the first trans character who wasn't treated like a complete joke, Mulholland Drive has a lesbian relationship at the forefront and Lost Highway shows how anti-cuckolds are delusional murderers. Lynch is a progressive's progressive, truly ahead of his time.
>>
>>82859992
Twin Peaks wasn't even from the 80s

This thread is nothing but proof that millennial shitposters don't even know about the guy's work to accurately insult it.
>>
>>82860081
You can use the "projecting" claim as an excuse for anything, it doesn't mean I really am projecting though. Maybe you just don't want to admit I'm right.
>>
>>82857116
>I
>not aye or eye

so close
>>
>>82860098

you're projecting your own lack of understanding of his work into other people. And now you're projecting your lack of understanding of the meaning of projecting into me.
>>
>>82859992

Inland Empire is his best film.
>>
>>82860129
>if i use the word 3 times i sure trolled him then lol

plz stop kiddo. back to le rebbit
>>
>>82855827
I watched half of Inland Empire then I exited VLC player and deleted it. Fucking piece of shit. Made me want to reinstall windows.
>>
>>82860115
So either everyone is lying and Lynch's films are impenetrable or you just don't understand them. Hmmm I wonder which one it is.
>>
>>82860112
Way to show yourself for the child you are.

The "90's" started around late '93 - early '94.
>>
>>82860060
You thought the conclusion was just a punchline? I honestly thought it was a punch in the face to everyone who was treating her like a joke in the earlier episodes, it felt so tragic to me.
>>
>>82855827
if you have to ask, you already know the answer to your question. yes.
>>
>>82860172
Not literally everyone, and it's actually pretty common that the masses pretend to do something or like something to fit in and "look cool" even if they don't understand it, or disagree with it secretly. It has always happenned and it has been documented.
>>
>>82860172

Na dude he's right. Everyone who likes his movies is dumb and he's special and privy to the truth just like his mom always told him
>>
>>82859993
You don't have to like Lynch's style but if you don't understand that (most) of his movies are good just on a technical level then you're just a hopeless pleb.
>>
>>82860180

I just felt sorry for Earl
>>
>>82860202
>dude it's just like what happens it's like been documented and shit
Lynch isn't even all that popular with the masses. He's got a cult following and critical praise but he's never resonated with the "masses". Evidence of this is that his films make no money. Your standard normie opinion on the guy is actually what you've been regurgitating in the thread.
>>
>>82860309
That's just proof that people only pretend to like Lynch.
>>
>>82860336
What? It proves that most people don't like Lynch but it doesn't prove that his fans are only pretending to like him.
>>
>>82855827
he's a meme director favored by reddit
>>
Lynch is worth watching only because of hidden themes in his films. In Twin Peaks, for example, he's giving a hint about MK ultra and pedo-elite. Not surprised that he could not film season 2 the way he wanted.
>>
>>82860016
I just told you to fuck off. Calm down dude
>>
>>82860062
Yeah, Radiohead is hugely success (and hugely overrated too) but Pink Floyd more a commercial succes and have more hit singles on charts. Thats why you cant compare PF with Lynch.

>>82860086

>sales are an indicator of quality
Nobody is saying that.

>the dark side of the moon is the musical equivalent of avatar

Is the second or the third best sold album of all time. PF career is nothing like Lynch.
>>
>>82860526
It proves that no-one really likes him at all, they are just pretending to fit in.

Well done this guy.>>82860202
>>
>>82860174
>The "90's" started around late '93 - early '94

Not him, but this is one of the most retarded things I read in my whole life.
>>
>>82860642
You needed to be there to understand, kid.
>>
>>82859886
>Erasherhead
Cult classic, not a true classic

>The Elephant Man
OK here

>Blue Velvet
Cult Classic

>Lost Highway
OK here

>Mulholland Drive
OK here

>and of course, Twin Peaks

You know her just directed a few episodes and nothing more, right?
>>
>>82860651
Dude, I´m older than you. I born in late 70´s
The whole decade start at the begining of a decade, not when you think it OK to use it as an argument.
>>
>>82860754
Incorrect on all counts.
>>
>>82855827
Will we see who Diane is in S3?
>>
>>82860615
>they are just pretending to fit in
To fit in with whom? There has to be someone who likes him for there to even be people to fit in with
>>
>>82860872
Not really though.
>>
>>82859622
>It's just pure nonsense
not really, everything is just a POV of how he sees everything, he makes everything more gloomy and uncomfortable than it actually is

however there's not much more to that movie
>>
>>82860714
>You know her just directed a few episodes
Lynch created the show. The comment I was responding to claimed Lynch created no classics
>>
>>82860908
Mark Frost created the show.
>>
>>82860893
Actually really tho. That's exactly what the phrase means.
>>
>>82860615
So if something isn't popular with the general public then nobody actually likes it?
>>
>>82860967
But not really. Try using your brain.
>>
>>82860985
Yep.
>>
>>82860960
Ok, so? They were co-creaters
>>
>no Truman in the new season

Confirmed to be garbage
>>
>>82861026
Oh no, we won't get 5 episodes with him blubbering about his Asian girlfriend. How will the show continue without that?
>>
>>82861024
It's commonly known that Frost was the brains behind Twin Peaks.
>>
>>82860174
flyover state detected
>>
>>82861026
They offered it to him but he chose to remain comfy in Hawaii.
>>82861057
Don't ever disrespect Harry S. Truman again you troglodyte son of a bitch.
>>
>>82861072
Is that why the Lynch directed episodes are the best (and why Lynch's weirdness is the best part of the show) and why FWWM is great?
>>
>>82861213
>Lynch's weirdness

>>>/r/eddit/
>>
>>82861057
You're never going to get a better duo than cooper/truman.
>>
>>82861279
Frostfags are the ones that belong on Reddit.
>>
>>82861213
yeah dude, so randumb lmao.
>>
>>82861279
At this point using reddit as an insult is reddit in and of itself.
>>
AMC has him ranked 16 all time. That's way too high.

http://www.amc.com/movie-guide/the-50-greatest-directors-of-all-time
>>
>>82861344
No, that would be Nadine gaining superpowers and going to high school.
>>
>>82861428
The first one is Nolan?
>>
>>82861428
>12. Tarantino
>8. Scorsese
>6. Woody Allen
He's actually too low for whatever metrics they used to make this garbage fire.
>>
>>82861435
>gaining superpowers
She had super strength since the beginning.
And her going to HS wasn't that random, I can't remember the details, but Ed told of the story of them in HS while she was in a coma and there were a lot of parallels, this was about Ed's second chance or some shit.
>>
Hes the only decent director /tv/ even talks about regularly.
>>
>>82861213
Lynch was bring to the project as director and showrunner, he leave after a couple of episodes since he start to do other stuff, but he supervised. Thats why the show goes to hell by the second season. He didnt directed the "best episodes" but the pilot and some pivotal ones.

Mark Frost is the man behind twin peaks, thats why X-Files have the same locations, ambient, concept and actors
>>
>>82861338
>Frostfags are the ones that belong on Reddit.
kek, Lynch is reddit in a nutshell.
>>
>>82861788
Just did a quick duckduckgo search of "Mark Frost reddit" and "David Lynch Reddit" and on the first page I saw Mark Frost did an AMA on reddit. Lynch didn't.
>>
>>82860608
>but Pink Floyd more a commercial succes and have more hit singles on charts

kek they released like 3 singles in their entire career
>>
>>82861757
What do X-files have to do with this?
>>
>>82855827

When faggots discover him. They covet his work to the point where they act like they are the only true fan. But because his work is vague and up for interpretation, they need a community to reach a consensus on a movie's meaning.

So what you get is people claiming their territory like 5 year olds. Since Inland Empire wasn't well received, they jumped on it instantly.

This is why you see countless, what is your favorite [ ...], because MY FAVORITE IS. Lynch fans are the worst.
>>
>>82857648
To make Rabbits he'd had to have seen Hell
>>
>>82862175
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_Floyd_discography#Singles
>>
>>82855827
Mulholland Drive is overrated, but not David Lynch.
>>
God, this thread is trash
>>
>>82862627
Just like Lynch.
>>
>>82862492
You said hit singles, now look at how many of Pink Floyd's singles even charted. They were purely an album band and hated releasing singles EMI made them do it
>>
Jesus, this thread is garbage
>>
>>82855884
lol
>>
>>82858254
how did the blue velvet girl know where the protagonist lived (where she appeared naked)?
>>
Christ, this thread is junk
>>
>>82862908
>>82862818
lynch haters
>>
>>82857783
you a Jap?
>>
>>82863195
Zoinks, this post is poop
>>
>>82862818
Just like Jesus
>>
Wild at Heart is the greatest movie of all time.
>>
>>82858508
>spic
She's Italian.
>>
>>82861072
he also wrote the fantastic four movies, pooftaah
>>
>>82862764

Whatever, but Pink Floyd had more hit singles than Radiohead. In part because Radiohead rejected the whole musical system... a la Lynch.
>>
File: youths in asia.jpg (75KB, 750x732px) Image search: [Google]
youths in asia.jpg
75KB, 750x732px
>>82860174
>The "90's" started around late '93 - early '94.

?
wut........
>>
Yes, and Twin Peaks is boring as shit.
>>
>>82863541
Half-Italian. Her mother's Nordic
>>
>82865509
You're barely even trying
Thread posts: 173
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.