[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't comic book movies comic book movies?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: batman_goldenage01.jpg (72KB, 444x672px) Image search: [Google]
batman_goldenage01.jpg
72KB, 444x672px
Why do comic book movies ardently reject their pulp roots? Why have the gray and black "gritty" worlds popularized by Nolan and Snyder become the default look for DC movies? Why has a genre defined by its dynamic use of colors and striking visuals become dominated by grimdark bullshit? Why are there three Thor movies? Why the fuck am I STILL LIVING?
>>
>>82851593
the marvel MCU is the biggest franchise in the world right now and it is all pure pulp.

Nolan and Synder are/were the showrunners for DC movies and both preferred gritty or dark movies.
>>
There are a lot of grimdark batman comics. And most comic book movies are colorful and pulpy, even Batman's film history is mostly bright, colorful, schlocky and weird.
>>
>>82851680
Most comic book movies try to bury their cheesy roots, practically abandoning their traditional roots. Marvels' movies have a lighter tone but have such dull and generic ways of presenting themselves.The colors are muted and dull, favoring bland environments for their climactic showdowns. The general design is an attempt to "modernize" this world, but the original designs usually get either lost or butchered in the fray.

Am I the only one who wants an honest to god adaptation of these works? Why do we cater to superficial audiences who resent the inherent campiness of these works?
>>
Ive always prefered the 30's version of batman where he murdered gangsters.

My ultimate batman movie is in a noir style.
>>
>>82851719
Yes, but the best of those "grimdark" books still used the original designs and artwork as a jumping off point. The use of color is still striking, depicting a world of costumed heroes with an ounce of self-awareness.
>>
>>82852155
>Marvels' movies have a lighter tone but have such dull and generic ways of presenting themselves.The colors are muted and dull, favoring bland environments for their climactic showdowns.
Bullshit. I don't think you've ever watched a Marvel movie.

This applies to the Marvel Netflix shows, yes, but not the movies.
>>
Original Batman was just a vigilante/detective that wore a costume. No bat cave, bat mobile or gagets. He just drove around in a regular car and shot people.
>>
File: 27076090765_2805cb1b1c_b.jpg (53KB, 732x408px) Image search: [Google]
27076090765_2805cb1b1c_b.jpg
53KB, 732x408px
>>82852443
>The ending battle of "The Avengers" is a gray, destroyed city during an overcast day.
>The ending battle of "The Avengers 2" is in a gray, destroyed city during an overcast day.
>The big showdown of "Civil War" is in a gray, empty airport during an overcast day.

And this is all shot with either a terrible lens or with some filter added in post to dull the colors. The bright colors on all of these characters should really pop, but they all just seem so terribly muted.
>>
Tbh I enjoy the weird contrast between batman being a fucking bat themed ninja in a michael mann thriller
>>
>>82851593
>MCU
>grimdark
Quit using meaningless buzzwords you stupid fucking virgin. Especially if you don't even know what they mean.
>>
>>82852692
Why the fuck are you talking about the visuals? I thought you were talking about the actual tone of the movies. Also, the visuals aren't even gritty or edgy they're just bland and boring.
>>
File: lol.gif (968KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
lol.gif
968KB, 245x245px
lol capeshit nerds itt
>>
>>82852855
>they're just bland and boring
that's exactly what he said
>>
>>82852855
>Why the fuck are you talking about the visuals?

It's a visual medium?? Would you expect someone to analyze poetry without mentioning the prose????
>>
>>82852801
I was calling Snyder and the DCU grimdark, not the MCU.
>>
>>82852986
No
>>82852988
I wasn't really asking why, I just got confused.

To answer the OP question, it's mostly all focus tested bullshit when it comes to MCU. As for Nolan and Snyder, I guess that's just the style that they wanted to go for. Nolan wanted to make a grittier more realistic Batman to differentiate it from the previous Batman films. I assume that DCEU was made with darker tone in mind because the studio wanted to contrast MCU and also not be accused by normans of copying the MCU.
>>
>>82853044
Snyder and DCU isn't dominating capeshit
>>
File: IMG_5944.jpg (417KB, 989x1400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5944.jpg
417KB, 989x1400px
>>82852855
I miss ramis colorful and sunny New York
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.