[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Polynesian reception to Moana

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (140KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
140KB, 1280x720px
Apparently the people this film is based on mostly didn't like the film.
But all I can find on that is one Journalist who argured about an ancient society's 'intellectual property' and an Anthropologist who complained that Maui's trophy wife wasn't in the film.
This hardly feels representative of the popular opinion, are there any other articles out there that actually talk about what the general population thought about the film?
>>
I hate whiny coconut niggers
>>
Forget about this movie like everyone should.
>>
CONSIDDER THE COCONUT
>>
We make our nets from the fibers
>>
I have a Samoan friend who constantly sings Disney songs, he doesn't mind but thinks Tangled is way better
>>
>>82819122

I don't know any Polynesian that didn't like it, maybe Hawaiians but they aren't true Polynesians and this movie was based on Samoan/Tongan culture, not Hawaiian.
>>
>>82819429
Hawaiians loved it. Theaters were sold out there.
>>
>>82819122
I've only seen positivity from Polynesians in YouTube comments so Idk, those articles you read sound like they're from those professionally offended type of people.
>>
>>82819122
Because the film was just what white people think polynesians are like.
Nothing really outrageously wrong about it, but i see where the hate comes from.

The background vocals to one of the songs was literally just Polynesians singing about how great their ancestors were at sailing and thats pretty much it. As if that were the only things Polynesians want to see on screen
Lets for instance say, regardless of race, you were from Mexico, and disney made a mexican princess. Excited right?
Now imagine that the songs in the film were all about how great sugar skulls taste and how good mexicans are at crossing borders. Now imagine that the plot of the film revolves completely around the mexican princess doing tasks that are entirely specific to the watered down american stereotype version of your culture. You'd be a little underwhelmed right?

For the record, obviously Moana isnt racist. It would be retarded to claim otherwise. But its certainly no great victory for polynesians in film. Honestly though, the fact that the Rock is as big a star as he is should be proof enough that Polynesians can and do succeed in Hollywood without catering to stereotypes.
>>
>>82819674
>Frozen
>dude, im a princess that can make snow!
I seriously doubt Disney was going to put an effort into the cultures and mythologies that most people in the world don't even care about.
>>
>>82819674

the great expansion is fine for a polynesian movie, I don't know why people think this is something they shouldn't be proud of

they invented the way of sailing with the stars using stone age tools, didn't do anything for a thousand years then out of nowhere they colonized almost all of the pacific ocean over a few hundred years, it's quite cool
>>
>>82819777
the difference is that in the nations where disney films are the most popular, the population is for the most part already very familiar with traditionally white cultures and traditionally white fairy tales.
That way they can be as shallow as possible and nobody will give a shit because its for kids.
When they go out of their way to showcase minorities, they have to at least pretend to care, but the problem is that the minority in question will always see right through it.
White people dont care because they can rely on more than a fucking disney movie for exposure.
Obviously what i said in the previous post isnt the general consensus seeing how succesful the film was, im just saying i understand the people who didnt like it or were offended by it for cultural reasons
>>
>>82819211
FPBP

They are fuck all disgusting.
>>
>>82819838
im not disagreeing with you there, but i just think its a tad condescending the way they handled it.
>>
>>82819122

I'm born and raised from Hawaii. Nobody hated it, Polynesians love it, has the general happy Aloha vibe everyone shills, it's fine, don't make this thread anymore.

Aloha braddah stay da kine, chee
>>
>>82819674
And this is why westerners/white people should NEVER pander to minorities.

It. Will. NEVER. Be. Good. Enough.

They will ALWAYS hate some aspect of it or another, and even if you have a fantastic creation, they will begrudge it because "its what the white man thinks of us".

Let these people make their own media for themselves, stop trying to pander to them.
>>
>>82820007
Not pandering to minorities is racist though
>>
>>82819872

I get what you mean, the te vaka song they used has nothing to do with anything in the film and they could have done more with traditional chants/dances rather than spend 2/3rds of the movie doing nothing at sea

although the ka mate did stand out(rock really needs to stop doing this, he did it with balangi in the fast and furious movie and it looked stupid), should have used sipi tau or something instead
>>
>>82819410
Hes fucking right. Tangled objectively the best Disney movie to date.
>>
>>82820020
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH
>>
In NZ people loved it. I work with mostly Tongans and some Samoans and they all loved it.
>>
>>82820007
>literally one anonymous troll triggers your victim complex
>ignite every other post saying Polynesians loved it

I wish I could murder you for real.
>>
>>82820076

Yes, the same was true in Aus. I'm half Tongan and do charity work at a Polynesian church. When it was in cinemas a lot of families took their kids to see it and lately we used the blu ray to keep the kids occupied during events
>>
>>82820093
i'll ignite your face
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.