[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rick and Morty is everything that is wrong with American humor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

File: faggots.jpg (65KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
faggots.jpg
65KB, 320x240px
My friends ("friends") made me watch the first 3 episodes of this garbage the other day. It was the worst viewing experience I've had all year.

Why do people like this show? I realize it's a reddit-tier piece of garbage, so I assume it doesn't have a lot of love on this board. But if there's anyone here that likes this trash, explain yourself.

The characters are shit and represent everything that is wrong with American humor.

Rick: crazy old grandpa, snarky and satirical
Morty: stupid milquetoast kid, snarky and satirical
Father: dumb husband (fuck the Patriarchy lmao!), snarky and satirical
Mother: empowered woman (she's so strong!), snarky and satirical
Older Sister: moody teenager, snarky and satirical
Other characters: who cares, snarky and satirical

Not a single good-natured joke to be found in the first 3 episodes. Plenty of sex jokes though, which is enough to hold to attention of any brain-dead person who has gone through puberty.

And who thought it was a good idea to have Rick burp in the middle of everything he says? Jesus Christ that's annoying, and I got bored of it the 2nd or 3rd time it happened, not to mention the 100 other times it happened in the first 3 episodes. I didn't think anyone was dumb enough to use the same joke 100 times, but apparently they are still making this show and it hasn't changed.

The only time the show drops the comedy for something that is apparently serious, it's just offensive. Episode 3, the Dad's parents visit for Christmas and bring the black guy who is dicking the grandma. The Dad is properly offended by the ridiculous nature of this relationship. But in current year, it's wrong to be offended by anyone's sexual choices, so of course he has to be okay with it by the end of the episode! In an American comedy, you can only have a break from the snark if you're going to celebrate sexually degenerate behavior. Wow, how entertaining!

If I ever need cancer for any reason, maybe I'll pick up this show again.
>>
Rick and Morty is a good show. Not intellectual, not deep, but entertaining.
>>
>>82687564

>uses reddit as an insult

Lol, also, tl:dr.
>>
I'll use this pasta for a pickle Rick thread if you don't mind.
>>
Seth MacFartlane is everything that is wrong with American humor.
>>
>>82687564
I read this post in Ricks voice and it was hysterical
>>
Chris Parnell does a very good job with his voice acting in this show
>>
File: gobackNOW.gif (3MB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
gobackNOW.gif
3MB, 800x800px
>>82687840
>lol
>>
didn't read
>>
>>82687564
I prefer ugly americans
>>
>>82687564
Hi /pol/
>>
File: 1487044836665.jpg (190KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1487044836665.jpg
190KB, 1200x1200px
>>82687564
>Beth walk in
>"where's dildo"
>see rickle
>"this will do"
>>
>>82688540

>trumpfrogposter

>>>/pol/
>>
You really do need to get into the mindset of a Redditor normie to understand why this show is so popular.

These people have never heard of adult animation in their lifes that wasn't stuff like Family Guy, it was completely alien to them. And they can't laugh at these shows because they consider these shows stupid. They want a show that isn't necessarily smart or funny or well-written, but that appears to be to appeal to their surface-level taste. Because these people live for that mindless self-validation. They don't actually understand what makes for good writing or good comedy, nor have they ever picked a book about physics. They want to pretend they do so and circlejerk themselves, that's what matters.

Rick and Morty is just perfect for its demographic: these same college-age self-important Bernouts who "fucking love science". The entire foundation of the show is built upon the dichotomy between "silly sci-fi humor and references" and " things are super deep and tragic bro". This pseudo-intellectual "nothing even matters, I'm insecure about existence, we are all going to die" bullshit that R&M shits out in almost every episode is what appeals to it's audience. The show doesn't actually have the tact to even begin to offer an interesting presentation and discussion of any philosophy, so it spouts these edgy teenage catchphrases.

Nevermind the bean-headed, noodle-limbed unexpressive character design, or how the story is non-existent and only comes up when the writers beg you to feel something for these characters so devoid of substance, or how the entire show is a trendy forgettable scenario of the week memefest with just enough sci-fi references to trick normies into thinking they are smart for understanding them, or how the characters have somehow been reduced to even more obnoxious caricatures than before, none of these things matter.

What matters is that it appeals to the millenial redditor audience, and that's what's selling Rick and Morty
>>
File: 1478832060436.png (339KB, 502x477px) Image search: [Google]
1478832060436.png
339KB, 502x477px
>>82688622
>>
File: Intellectual superiority.png (54KB, 688x649px) Image search: [Google]
Intellectual superiority.png
54KB, 688x649px
You're probably just too stupid to understand American humor. We're the smartest people on the planet, so I get why it might go over your brainlet mind
>>
>>82688713

Yep. Seems to be about your intellect level.
>>
File: 1463678701357.jpg (303KB, 1160x979px) Image search: [Google]
1463678701357.jpg
303KB, 1160x979px
>>82688783
>muh /tv/
>>
>>82688783
>leftists peach all day about we are all one and we are all equal
>insults people and claims superiority

what did they mean by this
>>
>>82688672
>projecting
What you watch is not indicative of intelligence
>>
File: 1494287577295.jpg (149KB, 1190x670px) Image search: [Google]
1494287577295.jpg
149KB, 1190x670px
>>82687564
>actually watching this Reddit trash and not just memeing about Szechuan sauce and principal vagina.
>>
>>82688892
memeing about szechuan sauce is the most reddit thing you can do

cut the bullshit anon, you watch this
>>
Beth walking in
Plumbus rick
Plumbus gone
Plumbus will do
Boom
Reversal
He in Beth pussy
Oh no incest
>>
morty morty morty rick rick rick

10/10 dialogue
>>
>>82688778

Except not all Americans go to Harvard or Stanford. If you're looking for 'smartest by country' you should go for IQ average per country you stupid fuck
>>
Rickbutt
>>
SO LE REDDIT LOL LMAO

proximamente
>>
>>82688815
I always have to gold back laugjter when I see this pic. The next just makes it worse.
>>
>>82688827
Thats leftists in a nutshell. Everyone is equal and all is good until you have a different opinion and then youre the biggest scum on the earth and deserve to be burned to death.
>>
File: your gf and bull.jpg (276KB, 1441x986px) Image search: [Google]
your gf and bull.jpg
276KB, 1441x986px
>>82687840
>defending reddit
>>
>>82687564
>I hate fun

What a sad life you live
>>
The humor is fine. The show itself is entirely watchable and entertaining.

It's the fact that it pretends to be deeper than it really is which is a total honeypot for redditors.
>>
Rick and Morty is shit and needs to be removed.
>>
>>82688540
This gif is kinda ironic since /pol/ is reddit's board
>>
File: 1491337979983.jpg (236KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1491337979983.jpg
236KB, 1440x2560px
*BURPPP* God's not real Morty
>the redditor takes a step back from the laughter to remember that G*d is indeed an opioid for the masses
Y-y-your parents are fucking idiots Morty every*URP*body is stupid except for me
>the redditor laughs at the joke but knows deep down that he and Rick are one in the same, misunderstood geniuses with no need for human companionship
WUBALABADUBDUB SCRUPPY POOPY DOOPY DOO
>The redditor gets Rick's edgy sense of postmodern abstract humor and posts a detailed review of the episode praising it's artistic merits
mmmm get schwifty, SZECHUAN SAUCE!
>the redditor's mind buckles beneath the weight of its own genius and he escapes into a state of intellectual nirvana
>>
>>82687584
This! I don't even find it particularly funny, but the episodes are really captivating and i do have nihilistic tendencies so i find rick somewhat amusing.

Btw i'm curious to know what kind of humor OP is into?
>>
>>82689164
>until you have a different opinion
racism is not a political opinion. But then again in this Trump era who knows.
>>
>>82690009
>racism is not a political opinion
Yes it is.
>>
>>82690039
hahahahaha
Ok let me know when Tucker Carlson invites a racist and a non-racist person to debate each other.
>>
>>82687564
You saw people on /tv/ describe the show as
>REDDIT REDDIT REDDIT
so you made up your mind way before watching the show
>>
>>82689222
Say with a straight face "all of Reddit is worse than /tv/".
>>
File: 24lynch1-blog427-v2.jpg (44KB, 427x448px) Image search: [Google]
24lynch1-blog427-v2.jpg
44KB, 427x448px
>>82687564
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2bzn0q5810

This video wonderfully showcases how the show is only enjoyed in the region between normie and neet

You've got numale redditors trying hard to convince the uninterested stacy/normie girls that this daring synthesis of epic fart jokes and super deep messages is the greatest thing.
>>
>>82690122
r/television and r/movies is undeniably worse than /tv/
>>
>>82687564
>The Dad is properly offended by the ridiculous nature of this relationship
?
>>
nobody who hates rick and morty has friends. Discarded
>>
What's with the annoying voice acting and constant burping? I don't know how anyone can stand more than a minute of it.
>>
>>82688827

>implying
>thinks i just dont enjoy making fun of retards
>>
>>82690224
They seem to like it, other than the nonwhite.
>>
What I don't get about Rick and Morty is the way they smash comedy and "deep" drama together. It's possible to do this well (Scrubs, for example), but Rick and Morty do it in the most hamfisted, uncomfortable way possible. I watched both seasons of the show because I wanted to give it a fair shot, but one episode really stood out for me:

>rick and his grandkids find this alien monster who's rick's ex-girlfriend
>the whole episode is wall-to-wall sex jokes, some good, some bad
>but then in the final 2 minutes Rick tries to kill himself while sad indie music plays

It's fucking bizarre. Like there are two main showrunners who are basically at war with each other. It doesn't flow well, it's just really, really weird.
>>
>>82688308
Family Guy at its best was actually funny though
>>
>>82688598
Stop bringing politics into everything
You're just as bad as /pol/ itself
Let me guess you're American
>>
>>82687564
>Dad's parents visit for Christmas and bring the black guy who is dicking the grandma.

what

le

fuck
>>
>>82688308
underrated post
>>
>>82687564
It's like a show that was made from interviews of focus groups of 18-25 year-old men.
>>
>>82690426
Rick is not a healthy person. He is a hedonist and a nihilist who abuses the people around him in order to distract himself from the pain that is his miserable life. In that episode I thought it worked well because that is exactly the type of person Rick is. Everything is awesome and a party till he can't hide from himself anymore and then he tries to kill himself in despair.

I have found the key to enjoying the show is to focus on Morty. Its all about him and how will he overcome the nihilism of his grandfather and the blissful ignorance of his father. He has to somehow balance between the two while keeping his sister, who is a stand in for those audience members that love Rick, safe.
>>
>>82688778
I go to Cambridge and some of my friends who read engineering did a year abroad at MIT. They found it laughably easy, easier even than GCSEs (exams bongs do when we're 16). And when the MIT students do their year abroad at Cambridge they find it incredibly difficult
>>
>>82690069
So do you think racism isn't an opinion or isn't political?
>>
reddit and memeity threads should be autobanned
>>
>>82690617
thats prolly cause engineers here dont use the metric system on the regs :o
>>
>>82688778
>americans are proud to get horrifically into debt so they can be told how to smash the patriarchy at a "place of higher education"
>>
>>82690660
next you will tell me that slavery is also a political opinion.
>>
what shows have good-natured jokes?
what is a good-natured joke?
chicken cross the road?

and why wouldn't you be more offended at something like Archer for example?
your only complaints seem to be repeated jokes, "snarky and satirical" (not everybody's cup of tea), lack of good-natured jokes, and sexually degenerate themes
why get so flustered over this?
anyway you seem to have missed the point of the sexual degenerate thing, they wrote in an over the top cuckhold situation, they weren't glamorising it, it was conflict for the father's b story
I would actually be interested to know what tv you do like, your general comprehension seems to be lacking and you want good-natured jokes, I don't even know what you mean by that

suppose I took the bait
the rick and morty internet fan base is shit but the show isn't
>>
>>82690426
Wtf scrubs was the most melodramatic bullshit ever, real drama with depth doesnt play out like that
>>
>>82690224
when the bitch says she doesn't consider this sci-fi, and then says lotr is sci-fi i fucking lost it. wtf is up with her brain?
>>
>>82690224
why are people interested in watching others watch shit now. Thats pretty lazy for a nigga to have to watch a nigga watch some other shit. Fucking bloody hell, mate
>>
>>82687564
>Father: dumb husband (fuck the Patriarchy lmao!), snarky and satirical
>Mother: empowered woman (she's so strong!), snarky and satirical
So Simpsons, family Guy, pretty much every family sitcom, they're all just feminist propaganda?
>>
>>82690224
>You've got numale redditors
I don't even know what that is
>>
File: Have Some Eggs, Nigga.gif (984KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
Have Some Eggs, Nigga.gif
984KB, 500x376px
>>82687564

It's called tone. Rick and Morty has a tone that's striking a chord with audiences. Just as Seinfeld had a tone where everyone was hypersensitive and focused on the minutia (he said I stretched out the neckhole of his sweater, Jerry!)

It's a typical family sitcom but with a science fiction twist, and considering most sitcoms are just played straight, I can see why people would respond positively to the show. Especially when it's also animated and can play to the medium's unique strengths.

After seeing a lot of comedies with a gooey, sweet center (Steven Universe, Adventure Time, Loud House, etc), it's nice to see a show that's played straight for laughs. It has some moments that show Rick being depressed, but I still find those funny because the show has a dark sense of humor. The heavy ending of Season 2 made it all the sweeter to see that it was his plan to be captured all along so he could royally fuck up the Galactic Federation and the Council of Ricks in one fell swoop in the electric Season 3 opener.

I also believe that cartoon crews have too many moving pieces compared to live action shows and shouldn't be around for any longer than seven or eight years at the absolute most, so I hope the show can continue to punch.
>>
I like the show and I will admit that the fanbase is cancer.
>>
File: Super_brain.jpg (303KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Super_brain.jpg
303KB, 1600x1200px
The obsessive-compulsive, passive-aggressive nature of Rick and Morty posting suggests many /tv/ posters suffer from a superiority complex and project their insecurities over
>not getting it
greatest sign being the constant effort to associate Rick and Morty with the classic Reddit boogeyman (another manifestation of aforementioned complex)
>>
>>82690866
homer and marge aren't snarky and satirical
marge isn't empowered
>>
>>82690882
>After seeing a lot of comedies with a gooey, sweet center (St
Stopped reading there.
>>
>>82690993

I'm not gonna fuckin bicker with you about SU, the point is that a lot of comedies this decade have focused on having that sweet and mushy center again, probably as a backlash against all the "edgy" comedies that were starting to come out in the late 90s and persisted until recently.
>>
>>82690673
It's part of /tv/ culture
Fuck off
>>
I only watch this show because the character's mouths move exactly like Wallace & Gromit.
>>
>>82688672
Speaking of insecure

Christ dude get a grip, and I'm not even defending the show
>>
Rick and Mort is what square, undereducated dope-smoking millenial normies think edgy counterculture is like.
>>
>>82688308
this is the type of shit norps do to justify their norping about.

he could die in a car crash, his spot be taken by dan harmon, and you'd still be saying this shit years from now like it was the edgy alternative opinion.

he was the worst thing a long time ago. now he's as irrelevant as greenday.
>>
File: 1481258463009.gif (778KB, 316x243px) Image search: [Google]
1481258463009.gif
778KB, 316x243px
>>82687564
>I realize it's a reddit-tier
Opinion immediately discarded. Now call me reddit because I know your dumb monkey asses want to.
>>
>>82688502
Tru dat. My boi Chris is an important part of what makes this show good
>>
>>82687564
>>82688672

i agree

rick and morty is just the fast talking hullabaloo and extreme comedy americans like rehashed in the same old suburbia with some random sci fi thrown in

the same old middle age crisis, appealing to the same "kids inside" the same marriage problems and so on

there is nothing satisfying about rick and morty, it is trying to catch people at their worst

the things they make fun of are entirely serious but because of the nature they show it the only solution they offer is to suffer through it
>>
>A-at least the first season was *burp* good though

"NO!"
>>
>>82688778
>We're the smartest people on the planet
And yet you're universally known for being stupid to the point that it's a national stereotype, and films literally have to be dumbed down to suit American audiences.

Of course, try telling this to an American raised on dat sweet red, white and blue propaganda, as you're also largely the most self inflated bunch of cunts alive that smooth over your collective inferiority complex by insisting that everyone else is just jealous of you, when really you're the laughing stock of the world. If only you knew what irony meant so that you could fully appreciate the situation for what it is.

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of Americans are real people who get the joke of it all, identify as an individual and not as a flag, and despise propagandised Americans like yourself for making the entire country look like satire. Unfortunately, they're the exception to the rule, and the sad fact is the majority of you really are as thick as pig shit.
>>
>>82693126
t. foreigner who cares way too much about America
>>
File: 1493759283675.jpg (82KB, 997x750px) Image search: [Google]
1493759283675.jpg
82KB, 997x750px
>still no pickle rick
cmon /b/ you can do better
>>
I miss Futurama
>>
>>82693126
asshurt foreigner detected, god bless america
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.