[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what is the difference between a quip and a joke?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 1494540074532.jpg (199KB, 1024x843px) Image search: [Google]
1494540074532.jpg
199KB, 1024x843px
what is the difference between a quip and a joke?
>>
A joke has substance.

A quip is just a guy saying something like "I understood that reference!"

Its just a 1 liner that you laugh at basically.
>>
>>82685694
so a quip is a one liner.
>>
>>82685603
A quip is a type of joke. It's a witty remark made in a certain situation.

/tv/ dosen't like them because recent Marvel movies use them too often, especially during what should be intense, dramatic scenes. This creates a separation between the audience and the characters, reminding us that their world isn't real and has no stakes.
>>
A joke has a build up, a quip is just a one liner. Nothing wrong with them unless they are thrown there to cover poor plot, perfomances or technical issues
>>
A quip is a situational joke. A standard joke works on more levels than what's immediate in the medium, a quip does not.
>>
>>82686019
i was gonna say something like this. A joke usually has a clear setup and payoff. A quip is just a throw away line that is either funny or not based on the context and situation.
>>
Is there a difference between quips from 80s/90s action movies and quips from modern marvel movies? Are Arnold's one liners funny only because of people's nostalgia at this point or is there an actual difference
>>
>>82686139
curious about this as well
>>
>>82685960
why are you speaking as if you speak for anyone other than yourself?
>>
>>82686139
The Marvel ones are funny but its just that they over use it and even use it at innapropriate times. Basicly what >>82685960
said
>>
>>82686304
Because I'm speaking for /tv/. Back to >>>r/movies with you
>>
>>82686358
No son, you speak for your autistic self.
>>
>>82686139
One quick difference is that early quips, or one liners, or whatever, usually came at the end of conflicts as a way to humorously wind things down as part of the resolution. Marvel quips tend to happen in the middle of a climax, which completely changes the tone and delivery inherently.
>>
File: backtoreddit.jpg (200KB, 717x880px) Image search: [Google]
backtoreddit.jpg
200KB, 717x880px
>>82686304
he's speaking for everyone that isn't an autistic 14 year old religiously fapping to marvel movies
>>
>>82685603
Humor = Kino
Satire = Film
Joke = Movie
Quip = Flick
>>
>>82686846
Jesus
>>
it's weird when you realize that comics have a shitload of quips as well
maybe they're being too true to the source material :^)
>>
At a doctor I asked the phlebotomist if I could get a fun bandaid and when she asked if I wanted Bugs bunny facing me or someone else as she positioned it on my arm. I said, "I'm gracious, I'll share Bugs with the world"
Is that considered a quip?
>>
>>82685772
nah
One-Liners are usually Macho that take place right before or right after an action
a One Liner is effeminate and usually take place during the Action.
>>
Groucho Marx had the best improv jokes.
>>
>>82685603
A quip is something stupid, that requires little thought but sometimes gets a little laugh.
>That's what she said!

A joke requires a proper set up and punchline.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.