[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did /tv/ think of Inherent Vice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: DUDE.webm (3MB, 640x344px) Image search: [Google]
DUDE.webm
3MB, 640x344px
What did /tv/ think of Inherent Vice?
>>
I liked Katherine Waterston's boobies
>>
meh
but comfy in retrospect
might watch it again soon
>>
>>82673301
Didn't watch it but i read the book. Is it obvious its all a death dream like the book?

Pynchon is such a fucking hack.
>>
>>82673444
>its all a death dream like the book

Imagine. Imagine being this stupid. And just walking around. Like you're a normal person. Just like everyone else.
>>
>>82673428
desu it gets so much better with multiple viewings

pta is our guy
>>
why did Doc forgive Bigfoot for attempting to frame him will all that heroin? that was fucked up
>>
>>82673478
Because Doc is a kind-hearted soul who can totally jive with Bigfoot's inner suffering, man. Gotta feel those vibrations, like.
>>
this has become my favorite film. comfy as fuck.
>>
>>82673465
>everyone magically gets everything they always wanted, even the skeevy lawyer

Yea dude. Its totally not a death dream.
>>
>>82673301
More like Incoherent Vice.
>>
>>82673301
I love this movie, Joaquin is ma Boi. One of the best actors. Watched the movie 4 times now in a span of 2 years, gets better everytem
>>
File: inherentvice5.jpg (381KB, 1920x1080px)
inherentvice5.jpg
381KB, 1920x1080px
What's up with the pizzas ?
>>
>>82673638
clever.
>>
>>82673760
>why are there so many pizzas in a movie about weed

Anon...
>>
>>82673301

I forgot all about it.
>>
It's forced, incoherent and just not a good movie.
I haven't read the book, but on its own it really doesn't hold up well at all.
>>
>>82673891
Dunno, i would be disappointed if that was the only message behind that
>>
>>82674055
Well I'll guess you'll never know ;)
>>
If i didn't love 70s aesthetic so much i'd call it trash garbage for psuedo intellectual plebians.

As it stands, it's alright.
>>
>>82673990
>incoherent
Wtf is incoherent about this movie ? The screenplay is amazing
>>
I love the book but I wasn't very keen on the film.

Don't know why, especially cause I normally like PTA.
>>
>>82673301
i really liked it, i dont understand why its so criticized here
>>
>>82673301
Should have been Crying of Lot 49.
Captured the surreal dreamlike stream of consciousness aesthetic of Pinecone pretty well.
>>
>>82674248
>i dont understand why its so criticized here
You don't understand why underaged contrarians that sperg out about their favorite flavor of capeshit don't like this?
>>
>>82674369
I don't understand whysome people defend it so hard. It isn't deep or meaningful. He dies at ther jerk job parlor, the rest of it is him coming to terms with his life.
>>
>>82674514
Because its stylish as fuck, does justice to source material, and stands above the generic LCD pandering trash that dominates major studio releases.
>>
Is that Johnny Cash?
>>
File: happy pepe.jpg (69KB, 500x496px)
happy pepe.jpg
69KB, 500x496px
>>82673301

It is top tier kino and GOD tier comfy. Very rewatchable, I think I've already seen it 3 times

Also it has Joanna Newsom
>>
>>82674248
because its about the CIA kickstarting the hard drug industry and reinforcing racial divides in the late 60s in order to inoculate the US against communist sentiment, and as a result casually demolishing the american dream as if doing so was completely unavoidable thus defeating the entire purpose of attempting to inoculate the US against communist sentiment?
>>
>>82674514
>dude he was dead the whole time lmao

... its funny how people start thinking this about everything once they start taking their first literature class.
>>
File: 1494532176684.jpg (30KB, 312x316px) Image search: [Google]
1494532176684.jpg
30KB, 312x316px
>>82673444
>welcome to film theorys
>but he was dead the whole time
>but remember its just a theory
>>
>>82673301
Ugh, yet another Paul Anderson that's not Sidney, Boogie Nights or There Will Be Blood
>>
>>82674248
I'm just thrilled PTA managed to get all the book's themes past the censors intact, it's the first and last big budget movie that shits all over the police and the fed

Gonna legit cry when Tommy dies to be quite honest, how he managed to make it big saying the same things people have been legit assassinated for I'll never know
>>
>>82674680
THIS. One of my faves, PTA is our guy and Joaquin nails it here. Plus "the great beast"
>>
>>82674968
The folks at the MPAA arent hired for their cinematic IQs.
>>
>>82673990
just like your existence
>>
>>82673301

Fun movie.
>>
>>82674681
>He doesn't await silent tristero's empire
Don't antagonize the horn anon.
>>
>>82673301
legitimately the worst movie of all time
>>
It was boring. I wanted to like it so badly.

The Master is underrated kino, by the way. But not this. Not this.
>>
>>82675156
(you)
>>
It gets better with every watch and it starts, if you're a REAL pleb piece of shit, at 7/10 the first watch

All the way to 9.4/10
>>
Boring as fuck, nothing happens the movie
>>
Good film.

Can anyone rec me some good paranoia, what the fucks going on core?
>>
I wonder if Bleeding edge will ever be made into a movie
>>
>>82675468
Bleeding Edge shouldn't have been made into a book quite frankly
>>
>>82673444
>Pynchon is such a fucking hack.

PLEB
>>
>>82675514
This. Terry Gilliam should do a pentalogy about Mason&Dixon though
>>
>>82673301
turd of a movie

everything was just bland and lifeless, and ultimately pointless and boring
>>
>>82675583
but did it insist upon itself?
>>
>>82673601
I agree with you. Shasta is Doc's view of the psychedelic 60's embodied in the perfect woman. Now the 60's are coming to an end, so is Shasta, she's dead.

Shasta never came back from the boat.
>>
>>82674718
Look brahwhen i read it i didnt realize he was dead, but eventually when everyone is realizing their wildest dreams, when the lawyer getsa 50 million dollar ship, you have to realize it's not real. I
The whole last 20 pages is so over the topto make you realize. The whole last half of the book he is pretty much emulating movies.

I think the only question it poses to the readeris when he died. Its possible he was dead tthewhole book, as none of my ex gfs would hire me for anything outside of my dreams. I liketo beleivehe died at the jerk job parlor, as thats when we meet bigfoot and shit starts getting weird. Hes definitely dead axter the handcuffed ina room thing. Because thats when everyone magically gets everything they ever wanted.
>>
>>82673760
Wait a sec. Is that a classic Dano standing up on the left?
>>
>>82673301
One of my favorite movies from recent years although I feel the visual side of the movie was taking a backseat to the amazing writing
>>
>>82674873
>>82675336
>everyone forgets Magnolia
It's not going to stop :(
>>
>>82673760
Sudden though: this scene mirrors The Last Supper, but the man sitting where Judas should be isn't relevant to the plot at all.

There was a lot of hype over a Pynchon cameo in this movie, but no one could ever find him. Is he the "Judas" whose face is hidden?
>>
when I saw this in theaters it felt like half the audience walked out over the course of the movie
>>
>>82673301
loved it
>>
>>82675642
Yep. And bigfoot is his view of "the man" sort of cooland larger than life, but so stuckup his own ass he is borderline incompetent. Thats alsowhy bigfoot lives near the militaty industrial complex.

Inherent vice is so blatantly obvious. Pymchon is a hack

And the one guy is right about bleeding edge. Itshouldnt have even been made into a book let alone a movie. 3 thousand pages of pynchon using terms he doesn't understand.
>>
>>82675336
boooooooo
>>
>>82673301

pleb filter: the movie
>>
It's good, I suppose.

I'll have to rewatch it because I saw it in theaters and like 90% of the dialogue is whispered and I couldn't understand what was being said.
>>
>>82675904
> Thats alsowhy bigfoot lives near the militaty industrial complex.
That term doesn´t mean what you think it means.
> 3 thousand pages of pynchon using terms he doesn't understand.
His ancestor founded Springfield, Massachusetts. He studied engineering physics at an ivy-league university after completing HS at age 16, after which he served in the US Navy for a short stint. In light of these facts and your obtuse comment, I very much doubt your ability to critique his work and estimate his literary methods.
>>
>>82676822
Bigfoot, in the book, literally lives up the road from a missle factory. Aldo, have you read bleeding edge? My second real job waz a perl progammer for a nass contracyor in 98. So i grew up in the world pynchon tried to paint. He has no clue what he is saying half the time in bleeding edge.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.