[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

television should continue with trying to be more like cinema.. y/n?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: videodrome.jpg (268KB, 1280x721px) Image search: [Google]
videodrome.jpg
268KB, 1280x721px
television should continue with trying to be more like cinema.. y/n?
>>
In terms of production quality and artistic and aesthetic value definitely. My problem with most TV shows is that they don't know when to stop. They milk every last drop until it invariably delivers shit episodes. You can see movies doing this with franchises and "cinematic universes". At least the movies doing this were always shit.

What I would like to see more is mini-series. Where they can tackle longer, more complex stories than movies and still keep them succinct enough to maintain its quality through out the series. Movies are to mini-series what short stories are to novels. Many if not all adaptations would work better like this. Since you have a lot more time it could better avoid the exposition cliches and common character tropes found in movies.
>>
>>82673163
yeah I agree, although I think American TV is a lot worse at the milking popular TV shows, a lot of them seem to be designed to be able to last as long as the production company wants them to last rather than having a more concrete narrative already planned out. at least in the UK it seems like this doesn't happen as often.
>>
>>82673522
Yes, that's true, the UK is a lot better at this, at least the BBC. Probably jas something to do with how its funded and how many programmes they are mandated to put out.
>>
>>82673163
>My problem with most TV shows is that they don't know when to stop. They milk every last drop until it invariably delivers shit episodes.
It's a really a tightrope. Its either a great show that ends too early, or a show that goes on so long that no one gives a shit any more.
Its hard to end a thing where it needs to end.

More importantly, tv shows are there to sell advertising slots. If its pooular everyone is more than happy to dump money into it until it no longer sells advertisers.
>>
Do you think that with higher budgets and more emphasis on a cinematic experience, tv will start parroting how big budget films basically re-hash what has already worked? Could we see a breaking bad remake in 10-20 years? or would that just not work with television?
>>
>>82673904
>More importantly, tv shows are there to sell advertising slots

This is what used to make tv a lot shittier in the past. Different distribution/production models don't rely on advertisement. HBO and netflix are an example of this. They have other problems but at least that one is not one of them. On the other hand people will only keep paying for a subscription if the shows they like are on, so they can keep pumping it out, even if its shit just to keep the money flowing. For now it seems that they take the variety approach more than relying on powerhouse shoes.
>>
>>82674083
Or rather TV series "revivals"/"returns"

See The X Files.
Twin peaks
etc.
>>
>>82674538
haha I didn't even think about those, I guess it's already starting..
>>
bump for actual /tv/ discussion
>>
Anyone know of anything good to read about cinematic tv?
>>
>>82678227
I'm not sure, but the citations on this might be what you're looking for: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Age_of_Television_(2000s%E2%80%93present)
>>
>>82678436
thanks, trying to write an essay for uni, kind of difficult cus I mostly just watch films rather than tv shows..
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.