[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's funny because it really wasn't about white people.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 4

File: dear white people.jpg (16KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
dear white people.jpg
16KB, 182x268px
It's funny because it really wasn't about white people.
>>
Dear niggers bet you think this show is about you
>>
Most people judged it purely by the title.
>>
Perhaps you shouldn't have put the words, "white people" in the title, then.
>>
>>82667557
My first thought after I watched this was why the fuck did they choose this title? I know it's related to the movie but the film wasn't some kind of box office hit that would draw in an audience. The show is really just about black college students. Most of the episodes don't even involve white people. I came in expecting some sort of cringey SJW shit based on the trailer and title but it was honestly self aware and pretty good. I think they turned off a large portion of it's audience based on shitty marketing.
>>
>Apocalypse Now
>world doesn't end immediately
wtf why name it that
>>
>Soros invests heavily in Netflix in 2015
>Dear White People (2017)
>>
>>82667606
why
its the best way to make them feel dumb afterward
>>
Dear black people.

Whether you may realize it or not, monkeys, you are still slaves. You traded your slave quarters for projects, your coveralls for prison jumpsuits, and the wrath of your master's whip for the chains of the modern welfare system.

In exchange for their dignity, your dumbest males and females parade on stage making "music" for worthless paper and trinkets. Your strongest are owned by football teams and contracts, many of which are paid for by a single man or woman.

Even today the Democratic Party, the same party that fought tooth and nail to enslave you, has succeeded once more - using you as little more than trained pets to pass whatever they want through the White House.

Martin Luther King didn't do a god damn thing, because at the end of the day, it was a white man who signed that Bill into law, just as it was a white man who bought your ancestors and shipped them to the New World.

We enslaved you because we felt like it, and we "freed" you because we felt like it.

We still own you.
>>
I canceled my netflix when this show was announced. eat shit

I still use my housemate's netflix to watch occasional shows and movies though.

The last good thing I watched was The Man from Nowhere. That movie was Quality.
>>
another reason to join the KKK
>>
Poorfag without Netflix here, what is this show about?
>>
>>82667621
>I think they turned off a large portion of it's audience based on shitty marketing.
Huhum, I'm sure you would have watched this made-for-blacks show otherwise.
And that everybody would have talked about it too.
You dumb
>>
>>82667590
That's how the world of 2 digit IQ works.
And that's why it's smart to actually think about titles if you want people to watch your shit.
>>
>>82668007
Most people willingly watched The Get Down and avoided Dear White People.
>>
>>82668116
But The Get Down is a flop
>>
>>82667657
>still own you
>literally the most impostant country in the world was under the control of a black guy
Yep. Unless you're an elite zionist, you're just being butthurt over a shit tv show.
>>
>>82668198
It got a second season, though.
>>
whats it actuall about?
comedy?
drama?
ironic role reversal?
>>
>>82667681
>I canceled my netflix when this show was announced. eat shit
You are one easily triggered bitch if one show you don't have to watch made you cry and cancel your account just because of the name alone, and I don't care about this show or any show on netflix by the way.
>>
>BET YOU THINK THIS SHOW IS ABOUT YOU.
Well, now I don't, but this is literally the first time I'm seeing the whole title though. Everywhere it's just "DEAR WHITE PEOPLE". Kinda missed marketing there.
>>
>>82667557
your mom's so shallow she probably thinks this quip is about her
>>
>>82667557
I don't have to watch this to know all about it.
the name tricks you into thinking it's going to pump you full of black pride, telling those righteous whiteys what they need to hear. instead it's all tongue in cheek and if you see a black agreeing with it, they're part of the problem. i guarantee there's someone in there who has a set of rules but doesn't follow the rules themselves because they don't have to, they're smarter (hypocritical)
>>
Wasn't the movie like actually a criticism of the black community always blaming shit on white people where as the show is actually just blaming everything on white people?

I've never watched either of them I have better shit to do like jerk off or smack my head against a brick wall.
>>
>>82668286
Character-driven with some dry/satirical humor, with a racial relationships and college politics backdrop
>>
>>82668026
>>82667557

Well the title was designed to be divisive and when scrolling the show doesn't do anything to let on its anything more than what it looks like.
>>
I thought it was funny that in the last 10 minutes the "enemy" of the protagonist explain why she's wrong and she literally cant reply anything
>>
Why's everyone always trying to trip me up on the subject of race? I ain't never wanted to have a problem with nobody regarding race, except when some jackass comes at me with some trick question like racism is a foregone conclusion no matter what a person does.
>>
I tried to watch the first episode of this show but it isn't for me. I'm not from the US and the dialogues rely too much on pop culture references that makes it unwatchable if you don't follow the American media.
The first episode is based on two conflicts, a party where people painted themselves with black ink and how the protagonist (the black girl in OP's pic) has a secret white boyfriend that her black friends found out by a tagged photo on Instagram.
I don't know if it gets better but I'm not interested. Might be decent if you're an American, but it won't affect or engage people from other countries.
>>
>>82668801
>but it won't affect or engage people from other countries.
It did engage me, even though I'm not black or american.
>>
>>82668463
That guy was so based.

Though he should've brought up the class angle. None of these kids actually experience the shit they complained about except the "bad" one.
>>
>>82668935
He was a little childish, but I guess it's necessary to have people like this.

I think the point of the two gun incident was to remind that even if they are priviledged they can still be victims of potentially fatal prejudice, but it didn't drive the point home for me. I'd still rather be in their Ivy League shoes than some flyover hillbilly.
>>
>>82668904
Congratulations. I was tired of stopping the show to google the name of a guy who made a show in the 80's and raped someone or whatever or to google the rap artist who wrote something in the 90's and no one cares anymore.
>>
>black guy gets all aggressive and in white guy's face when the white guy was just trying to help and understand their point of view
>"what? are you gonna hit me?"
>"HIT YOU? DAMN RACIST WHITEY THINKIN THAT JUST BECAUSE I'M BLACK THAT I'M ALWAYS VIOLENT AND SHIT. NIGGA I SHOULD HIT YOU JUST FOR THINKING THAT I WOULD HIT YOU!"

this show really didn't do a good job at painting the blacks in a favourable light, which I'm pretty sure wasn't the intention when it unironically says that white people are directly to blame for black problems.
>>
>>82668229
>mixed race
>black
Good to know the one-drop rule is still alive and well.
>>
>>82669016
>I was tired of stopping the show to google the name of a guy who made a show in the 80's and raped someone or whatever
Sorry, but the Cosby show is not something obscure. There's being "not heavily invested in american culture", and there's being an ignoramus
>>
>>82669032
Perhaps you've missed it, but nobody in the show is faultless
>>
>>82668286
Satirical Comedy/Drama combo.
Takes place on a college campus where the main character has a radio show called "Dear White People" where she makes comments regarding race relations and White people's presumptions and missteps in regard to it.
"Dear White People, dating a black guy to piss off your dad is a form of racism."
Shit like that. The show takes a look at the characters in a very realistic way, they're all hypocrites in one way or another, they all know what they want the world to see them as and we get to see how they really are.
Saw the movie and liked it and honestly the show is also great. I had my worries but the cast establishes itself really well and the writers didn't completely ignore the events of the film, they just tweak the events and timeline a little bit and from there the show takes off on its own.
Episode one is the worst of the season but its actually good and it even gets better from there.

>>82669032
I think it did a pretty good job of explaining Reggie's motivation in that scene later on. It has much less to do with actual racial tension and is more about the fact that Reggie is in love with Sam and she's dating the TA dude. We get a pretty good look at how Reggie is using their ideals: black empowerment, racial solidarity and racial justice to mask his real feelings. It's less about he feels as a black man and more about how he feels as simply a man and this happens quite a lot with the characters, especially in their second POV episodes.
>>
>>82667557
Regardless of what the show is actually about, if it is literally called Dear White People, it's logical to assume that it is in some way about white people.
>>
>>82669417
I think the TA guy episode and the Reggie episode are the best, both by themselves and in the way they convey the message of the show
>>
>movie called john dies at the end
>john lives throughout the entirety of the movie
>>
>>82669582
They're definitely the ones I felt the most payoff from of the POVs. They really let the characters open up as more than what they were initially presented as and I can honestly say that I both understand and like Reggie and the TA dude even though I forget his name. I get why they behave the way they do and even if I disagree with it I can see how they got to that point.
>>
>>82669197
>Sorry, but the Cosby show is not something obscure.
A show from the 80's that no one cares or watches anymore is totally relevant to everyone. The fact the protagonist of this show raped someone is totally relevant to mankind.
>>
>>82669694
>even if I disagree with it I can see how they got to that point.
I think it's pretty much one of the appeal of the show for me. Too often when watching something I find it hard to put myself in the shoes of a character and understanding their motivations of doing what they do.
Here I sometimes forgot I was watching a show because they pretty much felt fleshed out and believable, even if you don't agree with their views it's hard to truly dislike them.
>>
>>82669767

If you do t know who Bill Cosby is or why he's relevant then you don't have the requisite understanding of western race relations to enjoy this show.
>>
>>82669767
So you only know things that are "relevant to mankind", correct?
>>
Is this really what the extremes are like in American colleges
>>
>>82667653
>hey you watch this
>watch it
>haha gotcha fuckin idiot you werent supposed to watch it now youre a retard hahahaha
>>
>>82667657
Ok, thanks Gilbert Gottfried.
>>
>>82670372
>I can only watch things that are about *ME*
wew lad
>>
>>82670165
Indeed. That's why I said the show isn't for me in the original comment.

>>82670293
I'm not into gossip.
>>
>>82667557
>It's funny because it really wasn't about white people.

The title is about white people, though. It's about as clever as calling a box of turds "tasty chocolate nuggets".
>>
>>82670541
It's called "in-group" preference. Everyone practices, have practiced it, and will continue to practice it. People generally tend to others like themselves.
>>
>make a show called Dear Black People with smug-looking white people crossing their arms across the ads
>no black people want to watch it because they assume it'll be shitty

I wonder how many websites would be decrying the low viewership if that were the case.
>>
>>82669767
Unless you've been living under a rock or you're an extreme underage b&, you should have at least heard of Bill Cosby.

I don't even give a fuck about this show but don't blame the show for the fact that you're a dumbass.
>>
>>82670673
Man I wish someone would just step up and make Dear Black People because at this point the whole WHAT IF IT WERE THE REVERSE meme isn't even entertaining anymore.
>>
The only thing really awful about it is the laughable 'campus cop pulls gun on black freedom fighter' shit. What were they thinking playing that so seriously?
>>
I fucking hate white people
>>
>>82671112
this
fuck trump and fuck white "people"
>>
>>82671112
>>82671213
Do you still find yourself funny after repeating day in day out the same jokes for years?
>>
>>82667557
A large part of the reason this shit get so powerful is because of butthurt Drump supporters crying about it all the time.

>"ZOMGZ GUISE LOOKKIT WHUT THEYRE DOIN NOW LOOKIT LOOKIT"

You're all fat and pathetic.
>>
>>82671255
mad white boy lmao
>>
>>82671255
for you
>>
>>82670541
>>82667653

The name was chosen by the creators because it invokes an expectation of race relations that is subverted, which is what the show is about. This was entirely intentional and is not meant to be truly accusatory or to mock the vanity of people who respond to when called by name. The only people who are trying to make the title look like some gotcha moment meant to insult white people are unrelated trolls trying to start a fight, or hopelessly poise social police who cope with race by picking an individual scapegoat to call racist to deflect the entire situation only on to them.
>>
>>82668026
willfully ignorant
its a race baiting title
for that decision alone the show is shit and not worth giving any attention
>>
>>82671301
go cry about white privilege you loser
>>
>>82667590
>It says "white people"
>Is about the life of amoebas.
>It says "black people"
>Is about fossils in madagascar

You are not making any sense redditor. The title is about giving us clues about the content, otherwise anything can describe anything.
>>
>>82667590
As they should.
>>
>>82675956
>The Lobster wasn't a documentary about a lobster
Are you shocked
>>
>>82676215
>Go to library, ask for a book called History of Rome
>Open the book.
>Is about Russian cousine.

whoah
>>
>>82676265
>show is called Dear White People
>protagonist has a radio show called Dear White People
wow
>>
The dance scene where the white guy was singing along with the song, who was in the wrong there?
>>
>>82667557
Dear Niggers, (this show is actually about the backstory behind Leave It to Beaver and The Brady Bunch)
>>
>>82676337
Reggie
>>
>>82676308
>>82667590

It's an intentionally subversive title meant to really make you think.
>>
>>82676699
Giving the state of this board, it didnt work
>>
>>82667557
Hahaha not about white people?

Can anyone post the scene where the cop freaks out and pulls his gun during a college party? HAHAHA that is literally what people think reality is.
>>
>>82667606
That's the point. It's mean yo be inflammatory because there is a condescending radio show in the show and at the end he realizes he is part of the problem being an inflammatory dick
>>
File: 2342342.png (104KB, 358x242px) Image search: [Google]
2342342.png
104KB, 358x242px
>>82668026
>And that's why it's smart to actually think about titles if you want people to watch your shit.

Its funny anon, but I can't help but think that they picked the exact title they wanted to pick. Glad you're here to sort everything out for us though.
>>
File: 1494409420540.gif (341KB, 213x199px) Image search: [Google]
1494409420540.gif
341KB, 213x199px
>>82667557
>make title of the movie "dear X"
>its not about X
for what purpose
>>
>>82667557

Kill Niggers

(Bet you think this show is about lynching niggers)
>>
>>82667657

Mmmm now THAT'S delicious pasta
>>
>>82667557
I love how butthurt this show makes /tv/

Like no matter what you do, you can't unmake this show. You can bitch, whinge, moan and post your images of statistics but this shitshow after this show was made was glorious.

This must vex the fuck out of you lot HAHA.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.