[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which is the superior horror movie?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 18

File: image.jpg (220KB, 1200x831px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220KB, 1200x831px
Which is the superior horror movie?
>>
All I know is they're both supremely influential.
>>
>>82640180
All I get from this picture is that movies today have shitty posters.
>>
>>82640180
Alien is way more popular
>>
>>82640457
Popular doesn't mean better.
>>
>>82640180
They are both absolute kino for different reasons.
You will get a couple of retards for this apples and oranges comparison.
>>
>>82640180
I prefer The Thing, but Alien is the better film.
>>
>>82640180
>Alien/The Thing
>horror

Both are good but neither are scary.
>>
>>82640469
yes it does anon damn youre dumb
>>
>>82640180
>>82640433
What does the poster for The Thing even have to do with the movie
>>
They aren't even really comparable in terms of better. They're both god tier. Both had shitty prequels made too, though The Thing wasn't nearly as shitty.
>>
>>82640557
Very few films are scary. What would you consider a scary movie?
>>
>>82640578
Struzan wasn't even able to see any of the film before he made the poster, and it still works with what happens in the film. An unidentifiable alien creature that can take over/change itself into anything it comes into contact with. The poster is genius.
>>
>>82640593
Scared Shrekless
>>
>>82640638
sounds terrifying
>>
>>82640638
Yeah, that's fair enough.
>>
The Thing isn't scary. It's tense, and there are feelings of disquiet, but at no point (sans MAYBE the mouth scene) that actively inspire some sort of fear or shock.

Alien has the same tenseness, but it's undercut by a feeling of worry. Real fear.
>>
>>82640638
oh shit he's good
>>
All I know is none of these are scary
>>
>>82640638
that scene with the donkey in the swamp still haunts me to this day
>>
Aliens
>>
>>82640180
alien but both are gr8
>>
>>82640686
The scene where they chase the half-turned guy out into the snow and surround him, he looks up at them and his hands are long fingered claws and begins making that awful fucking sound as they burn it is genuinely unsettling for just how weird it is.
>>
Both of these movies are a metaphor for what happens with Woman in the workplace or when they invade Male spaces.
>>
File: IMG_4204.jpg (46KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4204.jpg
46KB, 256x256px
>>82640638
my favorite scene is when he angrily stuffs his big ogre dick down the guys throat and makes his body explode with his ogre cum.
>>
File: alien-ghana.jpg (125KB, 609x800px) Image search: [Google]
alien-ghana.jpg
125KB, 609x800px
>>82640180
>>
>>82640809
It's even scarier once you realize that if that thing had had 2 more minutes to finish infecting him, it would have been a perfect imitation with no way to know what's really lurking underneath.
>>
>>82642997
I read a theory that when it assimilates you, the person doesn't actually know they've been assimilated until the thing reveals itself. Sounds pretty fucked up.
>>
File: 1451987314764.jpg (12KB, 383x384px) Image search: [Google]
1451987314764.jpg
12KB, 383x384px
>tfw the scariest scene from both of those movies is a deleted scene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6dSIMFo7iU
>>
>>82640180
the thing is much scarrier, alien isn't even really a horror movie
>>
Let's break this down:

>storytelling
Draw.

>atmosphere
This one is really tough, but I think The Thing takes the edge because the monster is able to imitate other people so perfectly.

>directing
Alien, hands down, The Thing has some silly goofs and John could've/should've done better with the final monster even with budget already gone by that point.

>acting
Also a tough one, but I prefer The Thing's cast and Kurt fucking kills it.

>suspense
The Thing, although the climax of Alien gives it a run for its money.

>monster
The Thing, this one is easy.

>score/soundtrack
The Thing.

>sound effects
Draw, both films are massively underrated in that aspect, because background noises fucking MAKE these films great.

>visual effects
The Thing, but only because the xeno looks silly on two occasions.

>immagery
Alien because of that becautiful ship and the ominous endless space.
>>
>>82643683
>the sounds dallas makes
Chills
>>
Alien is a better watch and genuinely thrilling, but the Thing sticks with you longer and the underlying ideas are scarier. Alien is more cosmic dread, fear of the unknown and the universe in general, whereas the Thing is pure existential dread, portraying humans as no more than biological masses that happen to contain free-thought.
>>
At what point did The Thing go from hated to a masterpiece? I know upon release it was competing against E.T. but at what point did people begin to like it?
>>
>>82640593
Threads. It's always Threads.
>>
>>82643683
Just watch the Director's cut
>>
>>82640180
As much as I love the Alien poster itself, That egg is nothing like what it is in the movie. But then again that would have spoiled the surprise.
>>
>>82643808
Probably when VHS became more popular. That's just about always the answer for things gaining cult followings in the 80's/90's.
>>
>>82643702
Spot on. But I'd say the imagery is a draw too what with The Thing being in the endless abyss that is the Arctic.
>>
>>82643548
I don't like it. The idea that it's knowingly stalking you behind the face of one of your peers is way scarier than someone being unknowingly infected. That theory is completely disproven by the Blair-Thing trying to build a spaceship anyway.
>>
>>82640578
Man shaped being in artic gear, but the face, the one thing that would tell you it is human, is some sort of spooky and otherworldly light obscuring the creature's identity. It works pretty well, imo.
>>
>>82643548
I don't buy that. I think the Thing just eats you, even when it's reduced to a cellular level, and then uses your mass to taje whatever shape it wants. So if you drink stuff with the Thing cells in it, it would start to immediately change you, and would likely be as painful and lethal as regular assimilation.
>>
>>82643548
>>82645604
I like to think you're still present, but you have no control over anything. That'd be the scariest part in my opinion
>>
>>82645604
Pretty sure it's mentioned in a DVD commentary. Probably for the prequel though, so, guess it doesn't matter.
>>
I'm leaning towards The Thing.
>>
I remember the first time I watched The Thing, god what I would give to see it again without knowing anything
>>
>>82643702
My biased faggotry says Alien is superior but your post is literally correct. What gives the Thing an edge was not knowing who was really infected and seeing the Thing in full was fucking horrifying compared to the Xeno we barely see.
>>
File: The Thing-2.jpg (70KB, 1600x694px) Image search: [Google]
The Thing-2.jpg
70KB, 1600x694px
>>82646457
>the kennel and defib scene
>>
File: file.png (472KB, 456x609px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
472KB, 456x609px
>>82640180
neither
>>
>>82646457
First time I saw any of The Thing was flipping through the channels late at night, and it was the defibrillator scene. I wish there was a pill or something where you could forget everything for 2 hours so you could rewatch films like that and genuinely be freaked out.
>>
>>82646821
>>82646909

The entire movie is a goddamn masterpiece.

>that blood test scene
>>
The Thing is a 9 and Alien is a 10.
>>
>>82640180
The Thing is scarier but Alien is the better film
>>
As a matter of fact I'm about to see The Thing again
>>
>>82640558
underrated
>>
>>82640180
The Thing, because the alien has more screen time.
>>
>>82647420

I just saw both last night with my wife. The prequel was a bit disappointing with that awful cgi. 80s was much scarier with a more convincing monster.
>>
>>82647760
Pretty sure that's not true. The thing is literally on screen for minutes at a time.
>>
>>82647953
What about the infected humans? they count as The Thing too
>>
File: shining_by_chrisroma-d88qqgw.jpg (329KB, 750x1064px) Image search: [Google]
shining_by_chrisroma-d88qqgw.jpg
329KB, 750x1064px
>>82640180
>>
>>82647991
Oh wait, when you were talking about the alien, did you mean the thing alien? I thought you meant the Alien alien. You can see how this can be confusing. But yeah I was just counting when it's going full "the thing" on screen.
>>
>>82648055
now that is real horror, the op movies are both silly fantasy movies imo
>>
>>82648089
Not that anon, but I think he meant The Thing had more screentime in his movie than the Alien in his
>>
>>82648156
Yeah I realise that now. But seeing the Alien alien too much is a bad thing, just look at the trailers for Covenant.
>>
it's funny that most people prefer alien ITT, given that /tv/ is always praising the thing. I liked it as well but always felt it was overall overrated, but I couldn't point out exactly why. Except for the ending, it felt too much like they were baiting for a pointless debate among viewers
>>
>>82648380
How could it be pointless if its the inevitable conclusion of a story of deadly paranoia?
>>
File: the_thing_by_disse86-d92kf4l.jpg (298KB, 1024x1448px) Image search: [Google]
the_thing_by_disse86-d92kf4l.jpg
298KB, 1024x1448px
>>82640180
The Thing, I feel bad for saying it, the alien is one of my favourite monster designs, Ripley is one of my favourite movie characters, but The Thing is just a superior movie, Alien is the best the first time you watch it, but there's far more rewatch value with The Thing. Alien is a creepy rape allegory, but there is something far more disturbing about a creature that dissolves you slowly, cell by cell, and the mysterious nature of the alien has kind of been devalued by its own franchise, where it's been reduced to
>dude space bug lmao
>>
>>82648439
I guess, I hadn't thought of it that way
>>
Could Ripley have beaten the thing and Mac vice-versa?
>>
>>82649187
Macready could probably beat the Alien, but I don't think Ripley could do what Mac Did.
>>
the thing is a perfect film. I'd consider it the best horror film ever made
>>
>>82649821
i generally hate horror films, only a few have ever entertained me/come close to scaring me

ive seen the thing 7-8 times and it still hasnt gotten old, it is one of the best films ever made IMO
>>
>>82649788
I dunno though. I feel that the alien takes more reservation than Mac has. I think he'd pull a Dallas and end up nested or whatever
>>
>>82640578
The face is obscured.
Just like they don't know who the thing is.
>>
File: Arrow.png (803KB, 822x1134px) Image search: [Google]
Arrow.png
803KB, 822x1134px
>>82640526
>>
i am sure im not the only one but probably a very small minority

for me, i feel the thing is far better than alien

alien never got to me or grabbed my interest. i can hugely appreciate the such unique designs of the ship, the alien, the alien ship and whole atmosphere. but it never grabbed me like the thing did.

the thing is so eerie and so unknown, the bleak-ness of the antarctic etc with the idea anyone could be it is intense and the atmosphere is thick.

as a standalone first film, alien takes the viewers complete lack of knowledge of the film and the creature in it and exploits it to the max. and why Aliens is a great sequel because it knows it cant just make Alien again because it wont be a scary, they both work to their strengths massively

you cant have things running aroung hiding in ducts and blasting them, but then the same thing can be done in a sequel, the thing as a concept is perfect, you get carte blance to go wild with designs and ideas.

Alien has the strength of disturbing, gothic dark designed of Giger but the thing has the best concept and really, atmosphere in my opinion, possibly because its so grounded in what we know
>>
>>82643702
>>storytelling
Draw.
>>atmosphere
I would say the whole first half of Alien is one of the best work in cinema creating atmosphere
>>directing
Alien
>>acting
Draw.
>>suspense
The Thing
>>monster
Alien, the xeno is easy a lot more iconic than the thing, but there is a couple of forms that are really good.
>>score/soundtrack
Alien. Maybe is the best score of Goldsmith
>>sound effects
Draw
>>visual effects
Draw
>>immagery
Alien. Atmosphere is great with Giger creating a whole new world and Ron Cobb designing a weird industrial hell on with the ship.

Funny thing is I like The Thing a lot more, but Alien is the superior film.
>>
>>82649788
>I don't think Ripley could do what Mac Did.

Remember, Ripley wasn't the one who broke protocol and let the alien on the ship. I bet she would kill someone if she had to
>>
>>82640180
The Thing > Alien

A shapeshifting parasite on earth will leave you unnerved for longer than Alien monster on space ship in the future.
>>
File: 1hqdefault1.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1hqdefault1.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>82650970
>Funny thing is I like The Thing a lot more, but Alien is the superior film.
>>
File: IMG_0902.jpg (48KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0902.jpg
48KB, 479x720px
>>82651704

>using the hat tipping meme
>>
the thing is better science fiction, alien is a better thriller
>>
>>82640638
BRO that movie is absolutely terrifying
>>
>>82649788
Oh man, that part during the blood test scene, when they find out that Clark was human, and then Child's tells Mac that he's just a murderer. I probably would've cracked under that pressure.
>>
>>82652406
He did try to shank him though.
>>
The Thing.

The Thing is something that is actually scary. Something about a little niglet with a dildo head doesn't really scare me.
>>
>>82651784
doesn't stop you from being a massive faggot though, does it?
>>
The alien looks fucking stupid
>>
>>82640180
i got one word for you.
KURT RUSSELL
>>
>>82652566
Still, he has some gigantic responsibility on his shoulders.
The difference between Mac and Ripley is that if Mac loses his "chess game" with the thing and it makes it back to the real world, it's game over for all life on planet earth. Mac represents mortality, and the Thing represents death.
>>
nothing in alien comes close to the scene where kurt russel is testing everyone's blood.

the xenomorph is cool and badass but the thing is genuinely disgusting and creepy which is superior for a horror movie.
>>
>>82646864

for real, how atmospheric and suspenseful is this movie?
>>
>>82652656
>little niglet
>6'10"
>>
>in the movie, The Thing doesn't have a determined form because it's just morphing into all of the previous life forms that it's annihilated across the universe
That's some scary shit.
>>
>>82652878
bruh, it's fucking garbage. the characters are so unlikable; we're talking prometheus tier assholery. it destroys the tension when you're rooting for them all to die.
>>
>>82640180
The Thing is more tense and nerve-racking, Alien is creepier and more unpleasant. The Thing is more finely crafted and well put together, but Alien has more emotional and symbolic depth.

Though I actually do prefer The Thing, by my personal standards I would actually say that Alien is the better movie. I like a lot of things that are really ambitious and thematically/conceptually interesting over things that aren't as interesting but incredibly well polished, which here, would go to Alien. However the question isn't which is the better movie, but which is the better horror movie, to which I would say The Thing, because I feel like it's a lot scarier. It really gets your heartrate going.
>>
>>82646864
>ryan reynolds
no thanks
>>
>>82643702

Yeah, the Thing is a far scarier monster despite Alien's popularity.

Just the fact that it can blend so well with humans makes it scary as fuck.
>>
neither genuinely scare me, and i doubt many of you are hiding under the covers watching these two movies.

but having shown both to my girlfriend for the first time, using the vagina scale I can confirm that she had to look away from the screen in fear and disgust several times during the thing, and not once during alien.

therefore i can theorize that the thing is a superior horror movie.

now to screen both movies to a nigger, where i count the times they jump and shout at the screen for my final verdict.
>>
File: IMG_0149.jpg (61KB, 469x463px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0149.jpg
61KB, 469x463px
>>82652673
>>
The Thing is THE horror movie, the whole concept is fantastic
>>
>>82652758
The stakes are actually ridiculously high because if Mac loses and the thing makes it off of Antarctica. Not only will everything on Eartg be infected, but the thing will just hop on a spaceship and go around destroying all life forms in the universe. Mac is literally the gatekeeper of life.
>>
>>82654007
>but the thing will just hop on a spaceship and go around destroying all life forms in the universe.
Why in the world do you assume it's the only one of it's kind?

This could be a plague infecting the entire civilized galaxy. Earth is just lucky they haven't made contact yet, and the only way a specimen could reach there is by astonishing coincidence of a crash landing, and it took millennia before it actually encountered any terrestrial life.
>>
File: IMG_0035.jpg (140KB, 640x977px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0035.jpg
140KB, 640x977px
Neither
>>
>>82654840

Agreed
>>
>>82654840
+1
>>
The Thing monster is scarier by far than a Xenomorph.
>>
A monster that can stand right in front of you and perfectly mimic human behavior. Undetectable until discovered.
>>
>>82655684
It's all a matter of what you do see and what you don't.
>>
>>82640180
What's the more iconic weapon? The Flamethrower or the Axe?
>>
>>82655899
The Flamethrower, no contest, that shit is badass
>>
>>82655819
No. The Thing will absorb your consciousness without you even knowing until it's too late. All it needs is a transmission method.

You don't see even half of what one of those things can do in the films. The giant monsters you see at the end show that the creature is remarkably efficient at scavenging already deceased carcasses also.
>>
>>82640634
lol shut up you boring little faggot
>>
>>82640593
The Grifter.
>>
>>82655964
rude
>>
File: All Smiles.png (210KB, 379x568px) Image search: [Google]
All Smiles.png
210KB, 379x568px
>>82643702
Doing God's work senpai
>>
>>82655940
I was referring to screentime.from the movies, most of the time you barely see the xenomorph, while in The Thing it manifests more when changing

But yeah, I take it that your post was about which monster from the two movies are... more horrifying when describing their potential
>>
The threat of the Thing seemed much higher than the Alien to me, it really had the potential to infiltrate and spread itself across the world.

I don't know why Ripley insisted through the sequels that the alien could wipe out humanity. They still died to weapons.
>>
>>82641670
Alien is SJW garbage. Carpenter is 100% white male = Reich kino
>>
The xenomorph has been made less scary by how iconic it is, and The Thing has some imagery in it that is incredibly disturbing even today.

But what I'd really like to discuss right now is the bonus situation and how Childs was or wasn't infected
>>
>>82650970
>>directing
>>Blood test scene
>>
>>82656528
Doesn't matter. Mac made up his mind to kill Childs, whether he was infected or not. It's the ultimate check mate.
>>
>>82656528
Whether Childs was or not The Thing, they were both dead by the end. I think Childs WAS The Thing, It is implied in a scene where it is shown that Childs is gone and a coat is missing, as if his old coat was destroyed in the assembling
>>
File: IMG_0033.jpg (33KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0033.jpg
33KB, 600x399px
>>82655544

Nice dubs
>>
>>82656408
Know you're probably kidding, but Ripley is one of the best examples of an excellently-written and portrayed strong woman, if not the definitive case itself
>>
>>82640180
Alien is the better movie.
>>
One thing at least I think Alien did better was killing its monster
Suspensefully creeping around the cabin before blasting it into space sure beat 'It pops out, stands there waggling and just lets him throw dynamite at its feet and run away'
>>
One is an extremely solid horror movie with an organic crew that feels like they're actually people, and has effects that still hold up.

The other is a Carpenter trashy flick.
>>
>>82640578
The effects spooked the fuck out of me when I was younger, unearthed it when I rewatched it a couple months ago. The Thing is GOAT thriller.
>>
>>82640180
that thing on the left isn't alien, it's a perfect imitation
>>
>>82641901
>mfw i remember the first shrekpost
>it still makes me laugh like a retard to this day
>>
>>82640180
Da Thang, even though I love Alien.
>>
>>82643683
That scene was deleted because it sort of spoils the mystery of the Alien.
>>
>>82640180
Higher IMDb Rating: Alien
Most Academy Awards: Alien
Highest RT score: Alien
Biggest Box Office Gross: Alien

It doesn't really matter what metric you use, Alien always comes out on top. It's more beloved by audiences, critics, and peers, and made more money.

>inb4 rt doesn't matter, imdb doesn't matter, etc.
Sure, each alone. But all together it's pretty hard to argue against. There isn't a single way that The Thing wins.
>>
>>82650970
>a monster is better because it is more iconic

Just because something is popular does not mean it is better. I'd wager The Thing would have been much more popular had it not come out at the same time as ET.
>>
>>82652406
I would feel a huge sense of relief, honestly. It was self-defense, and now you KNOW that Clark's body isn't trying to rip itself apart and eat you.
>>
>>82640180
The Thing, hands down.

scary as fuck
>>
>>82640180

I would be willing to entertain the possibility that The Thing is the better horror film.

But in any event, Alien is clearly the better overall film.
>>
File: TheThing.gif (2MB, 481x271px) Image search: [Google]
TheThing.gif
2MB, 481x271px
>>82655899
both films had flamethrowers
>>
Both of these movies are overrated
>>
I want a Thing gf.
>>
>>82656579
To deprive him of the bonus?
>>
File: 1466662430750s.jpg (2KB, 97x125px) Image search: [Google]
1466662430750s.jpg
2KB, 97x125px
>>82659530
Please enlighten us to some true "quality" films
Thread posts: 143
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.