[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alien: Covenant

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 330
Thread images: 12

File: Alien Covenant.jpg (67KB, 509x755px) Image search: [Google]
Alien Covenant.jpg
67KB, 509x755px
Just got back from this one.

It was thankfully better than I thought it would be. Scott obviously took a lot of criticisms from Prometheus onboard, which was nice to see. This is a very clever sci-fi movie, probably a little more thriller than horror but that's fine.
Fassbender is fantastic. McBride is surprisingly decent (I've never seen him in a dramatic role before). Music/sound is all good.The xenomorph being full CGI is a little disconcerting but I think it works.

The script is pretty decent but there's a particular scene where both of Fassbender's characters are fighting and we're led to believe one wins and then it's revealed ages later that the other one won, and it's incredibly obvious from the moment it happens.

Would probably go a 7/10.
Alien > Aliens > Alien: Covenant > Alien3 > Prometheus > Alien: Resurrection

Anyone else seen it yet? What did you think? Also happy to answer any questions.
>>
>>82633378
That's an entirely accurate rating. I think I rated it better than I would have because of my low expectations of it after Prometheus.

There were some decent scares but they were jump scares rather than atmospheric terror or dread.

I felt the movie had no patience with how quickly they infected a dude and had it all go to shit, 0 to 100 in no time at all.
>>
is there any interracial sex in this movie?
>>
>>82633496
Yeah, it's like they realised that they were at nearly 20 minutes before even landing on the planet and they had some sort of time constraint.
>>
>>82633544
There's interracial naked making out in a shower that you saw in the trailer, but like you also saw in the trailer, they're interrupted before it gets any further.
>>
>>82633544
why is pol so easily triggered.
>>
>>82633581
does the alien see the big black cock and then give a high five?
>>
>>82633496
My guess? Expect a directors cut where they flesh out the characters more and space out the time between infection and birth. 2hrs for an r rated movie like this is too long i guess.
>>
>>82633378
>>82633496
>>82633544
>>82633554
I thought we were going to get Engineer kino with this new series but instead we got, Alien Redo Electric Boogaloo.
>>
>>82633378
I also just got back from this. Pretty dull movie. Xenomorph shouldn't be a big CGI monster in well lit centre view. Long tracts of exposition, and they deal with two xenomorphs in the span of like 20 minutes.
What a complete and utter fucking disappointment.
>>
>>82633638
Engineers were ruined in Prometheus so Scott axed that shit thank god
>>
Thanks for the spoiler faggot
Literally about to watch it in an hour and still can't escape from you spoile fag
>>
>>82633648
>two xenomorphs die in 20 minutes to random colonists

JUST
>>
>>82633598
What's not to love, the fags dies horribly, and the coal burner and her bull dies horribly, so it's all gravy.
>>
>>82633658
How were they ruined. That's like saying a bunch of poo in the loo shit skins in an antarctic base literally taking shits where they eat some how lessens the other 7 billion humans on earth and the stories they could tell.

Ridley and co, Even Damon, all of them simply lacked the imagination required to tell a believable story.
>>
So like the facehugger that the captain got hit with, was it a new type of facehugger? How come the xenomorph that came out of it a was tiny xenomorph rather than a xenoslug thing?
>>
>>82633680
Just to clarify, I meant screentime. The pacing is just completely fucked though. I think Ridley really wanted to tie everything together and expand the universe and he forgot to make an entertaining movie.
>>
>>82633648
>they deal with two xenomorphs in the span of like 20 minutes
well to be fair, the only reason the crew of the nostromo couldnt deal with it was because they didn't have weapons and were in an enclosed space. these guys were fucking armed to the teeth and its not like the xenos are bulletproof and they did attack out in the open where everyone could shoot at them.
>>
>>82633783
They didn't shoot the xenos.
>>
>>82633783
ayylmaos are built like APCs

Colonial Muhreens were using special explosive rounds in addition to military-grade equipment
>>
>>82633731
>
Hence why they were ruined. Making them giant rubber babies was dumb and the creator of man stupid as well. Killing them off was the best course of action with the story that was presented in Prometheus. Although their are still several unanswered questions raised in Prometheus.
>>
>>82633736
Well it's a prequel so fanboys will probably explain it away with it being the first type of facehugger or some shit.
Maybe that'll also explain why they can just CUT IT OFF A GUY and he's still fully functional.
>>
>>82633799
yes they did. they shot one to pieces in the first fight and got it to retreat. the second one died after being headshot by cap.
>>
>>82633809
these ones weren't your proper xenomorph. i think they were squisher ones, they were backbursters. a few rounds killed em.

the black xenomorph was fucking durable as shit. it went fully into the exhaust of that landing ship and was completely fine.
>>
Saw it on Tuesday in IMAX. Fucking loved it. Sure it's not perfect and I would argue the xenomorph could have looked a bit better but at the top of my head:
>the soundtrack is fucking 10/10, especially the opening with the title fade-in, and the chestburster music
>the whole engineers plotline isn't completely erased but it's moved to the background instead of being central to the movie, so that's good
>making David the main character of this whole run of movies is great, first because Fassbender is perfect in that role and also because David is an interesting character
>the gory scenes are really well done, the backburster and mouthburster are gruesome as fuck
>I like the Xeno being more animalistic and brutal as fuck, although it's movements sometimes look a little off because of the CGI
>I liked the neomorphs too although they would have been more creepy is they had stayed small in size instead of growing up to the size of a person, also the whole thing with David taming them and blowing air on that one neomorph's nose was a bit dumb
>the acting is really good for most of the cast
>it's really great visually
A solid 8/10 from me.
>>
>>82633841
I watched the end of the film like twenty minutes ago mate, don't make shit up.
>>
>>82633883
i literally watched it too, you've just got shit memory.

they were out in the open, in the field, daniels gets attacked by the xeno, walter tackles it, shoves his fist into its mouth, and the soldiers shoot at it landing shots making it run off.

cap chest shots the 2nd one, downs it, and finishes it off with 2 or 3 more rounds.
>>
>>82633678
I used spoiler tags for the spoiler.

>>82633736
No. It was a standard facehugger. It's revealed that David created them after studying all of the proto-stuff from Prometheus. As far as it coming out of him, that was just the new CGI effect, I suppose.

>>82633841
Those were not xenomorphs, they were creatures created by the pods native to the planet. No xenomprph is killed in this film by being shot. One is crushed by a digger, and the other is impaled by a bulldozer and pushed into outer space.

>>82633829
He was hit with acid from the facehugger being cut.
>>
>>82633678
use the catalog, see a picture of a movie you dont want spoiled, dont go into it or read shit.
>>
>>82633919
You're getting confused, the two creatures attacking them in the fields are neomorphs, aka weird looking white goblins. The xenos only show up in the last act after David lures Oram in the cave with the eggs.
>>
>>82633923
Yes, he was hit with acid. He got a nasty hole in his cheek.
In the first movie, which is set after this one, they explain that they can't remove the facehugger because it'd kill the guy.
In this one a guy pulls out his little flick knife and gets it off of him. Fucking retarded.
>>
>>82633814
They're billions of years old, so whose to say that they're on one world, or that they're one culture or one discipline? We're varied, and they may be as varied if not more so.
Ridley and Co lacked imagination. I find it fascinating that they hired linguistic experts to construct a language and did not hire others to put together a form of multi national multi racial info dump of the day to day going ons that could be potential Engineer behavior based upon or own amalgamated histories and ways and propensities.

We have to assume those assholes in suits are a class, a military class, or a worker class, or a sub class of some kind, and maybe you have a spiritual class, and a ruling class, and a science and inventors class.
>>
>>82633961
Yeah, because it was fully on him. In this one he was still struggling with it when it was cut off him, which has happened in multiple other films, including Aliens when it attaches itself to Ripley.
>>
>>82633919
Those aren't xenomorphs. I have no problem with the gay little lore expansion proto-xenos getting shot to shit.
>>
>>82633961
okay i may be misremembering this, but i think they only managed to get it off him because he managed to get his hand between his face and the hugger, there was no proper seal so to speak. like in aliens, ripley gets the hugger pulled off her face because she got her hand in the way.
>>
Is anyone else really annoyed by how they handled the androids, though?
Two big complaints:
1. We've never seen two androids that look alike. I kinda liked that these movies had unique androids instead of the conveyor-belt style thing that most films do.
2. It fucks the naming conventions. First was Ash. Then Bishop. Then Call. Then David. Walter's name should've begun with an E.

I know that's really nitpicky but it seriously annoyed me.
>>
>>82633961
>In this one a guy pulls out his little flick knife and gets it off of him. Fucking retarded.
Because he reacted quickly and removed it after a few seconds.
>>
here's the facehugger/acid scene just posted for those arguing about it :

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3436652/alien-covent-clip-delivers-classic-facehugger/

can review
>>
>>82634022
>We've never seen two androids that look alike.
What is Bishop?

>First was Ash. Then Bishop. Then Call. Then David. Walter's name should've begun with an E.
Except it wasn't in that order. Chronologically, Prometheus is set before every Alien movie, so that doesn't work.
>>
>>82633992
>>82634013
>>82634024
The guy got impregnated though, so it obviously was actually on there.
>>
>>82633965
i felt like this cant have been the engineers home planet. it was too low tech. this was an amish world.
>>
>>82634059
When did we see a second Bishop android?

And yeah, obviously it's not a chronological thing, it's just a convention that the movies have done, and it's been neat. Like the 47-references. It's just something cool that the films have done. Surely you don't think it's been coincidental with the first four.
>>
>>82634060
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure David infected him when he changed his face dressing in the ship's entrance. Don't forget that he smuggled them onboard inside him.
>>
>>82634101
Some folks reckon that Weyland at the end of Alien3 was another android. There's no evidence to support it, they just like to feel clever.
>>
>>82633378

I'm disappointed they removed Davids impregnation of dr. shaw. Thats why he loved her he had sex with her against her will and implanted the virus
>>
>>82634124
I didn't ask for a fan theory with no supporting evidence.
How would David smuggle a whole facehugger on the ship? Think a little man.
>>
>>82634052
god i hate how fast they are, fast moving little things give me the heebie jeebies so hard, flying insects give me that crawling feeling up the spine, id fucking hate having to deal with something like a facehugger in real life.
>>
>>82634064
Of course, for all we know Engineers can be both energy and flesh depending upon their mood. For all we know Engineers could very well be a dual entity, part light, part matter. Anywhere Ridley and co could have gone with this but instead we got the same old regurgitated mess, over and over and over again. 2001, the Matrix, Solaris, Films more concerned with Ascension and instances of Nirvana, than run of the mill been-there-done-that regurgitated 'seen it all before', nonsense.
>>
>>82634163
Dunno, it seemed pretty obvious to me. You see him change the dressing during the action sequence outside. There's shit happening and he takes the opportunity to rip the thing off the guy and then slap the new one on really hard. Seemed suspicious as fuck. I thought he was doing something to him before he was even found dead.
>>
so what did everyone think of walter as a villain?

whats up with villains crying all the time, do they think it adds depth to the character to just randomly tear up?

also dont really understand why he killed shaw. it seems weird to have her survive the last one only to just kill her offscreen in this.
>>
>>82634163
you think that the invisible egg from the facehugger jumped into the guy's mouth without ever making contact, and dozens of times faster than any other facehugger infection we've seen in any other movie?
>>
>>82634208
You gotta get the egg down his throat though. That's just not happening with a slight of hand. It went down his throat in the struggle and he just didn't think anything of it.
>>
How did they not check if the android on board is Walter or David?
>>
>>82634248
It was on his face though. Some guy even linked the scene in the thread.
Are you the same guy who thought the little white things were xenomorphs?
>>
File: good_boy.jpg (17KB, 225x354px) Image search: [Google]
good_boy.jpg
17KB, 225x354px
>>82634269
Facehugger sneaked in some cheeky deepthroating.
>>
Its as kino as it could have been. It answers questions, heightens the stakes and leaves you fulfilled yet craving for the next instalment.
Alien>Covenant>Prometheus>Aliens>>>the rest
Based Scott is literaly doing the impasobile and unthinkable - creating prequels that are on par with the original classics.
>>
>>82634291
No that's me, this ones someone else.
>>
>>82634269
That's very fair. I dunno. I guess David might've gone down and infected the guy later, dunno. It clearly didn't infect him during that particular scene, though. He was still screaming and conscious and that's just never happened before.
>>
>>82634165
Fuck face huggers. Giger created sexualized nightmares and we're still stuck on those mediocre face huggers.

Why not fucking tentacled creatures that rapes you and puts a demon in your belly?

Why are we stuck here?

Why are we still here, RIDLEY?

You promised us greater things than these. Fuck this faggot world and its repetitive ENTERTAINMENT!

Why not look at Giger's works, Ridley and write based on HIS WORKS? Giger showed you all the way but you hadn't the courage to step deeper. Like fucking children, Ridley, all of you quickly returned to shallow waters.

You're so fucking shallow RIDLEY, you and all of hollywood is so fucking shallow. Where are our works of gods and demons and celestial technomages? Why are we right back where you began all those years ago?

fuck you Ridley, you coward!
>>
>>82634290
Nigga they were obviously exhausted from all the shit they went through.

An android with an American accent and a missing hand was good enough for them to be convinced.
>>
>>82634290

more obvious question how the fuck did walter know davids security code, just like how walter didnt know about updates unless Walter's intelligence was far superior that cuck machine david
>>
>>82634269
>>82634350
I think you guys just have to chalk it up to it not being handled especially well from a filmmaking standpoint. As far as I'm concerned, the director's intention was to have him impregnated during that attack that we saw. From everything we got, that's the conclusion to make.
But it's stupid. It happens too quickly and it happens too wrongly. Use it as a criticism of the film, not as the basis for shitty fan theories.
>>
>>82633378
>aliens 3 should ever be watch by anyone
hmm you're full of shit.
>>
>>82634350
>I guess David might've gone down and infected the guy later
Now that's more plausible than bandage infection.
>>
>>82634398
I'm sure they had futuristic USB ports or whatever.

>>82634406
/agree

>>82634411
Alien3 is a 6/10 movie.
>>
This movie was offensively stupid. It was worse than Alien 3 and Resurrection but not worse than the AvP movies.
>>
>>82634449
No arguments.
>>
Did the xenomorph massacre sleeping colonists?

I remember Resurrection's escape pod scene and it still sends me the chills to this day.
>>
>>82634362

He removed Dr. E. Shaw being raped by Walter and experimented with while still being alive
>>
>>82634022
I was fine with two Fassbenders because it was handled really, really well. I've never seen a double-action scene pulled off as well as when one teaches the other how to play that flute. Fucking phenomenal filmmaking. Loved it.

I'm with you on the names, though. I was also irritated by him being called Walter.
>>
>>82634462
They don't mention it, and the ones we see at the end seem to be fine.
Honestly, they deal with the final xeno with utter ease until they're in the room with it.
>>
If David was the android the whole time, why did he help them kill the xeno? was it just so they could have an epic twist at the end of the movie?
>>
>>82634519
He wanted to test his new creation. It's the "perfect organism", he didn't think it needed his help. He wanted to see how it fared against the humans.

Besides, he knew that once he put the two humans to sleep he'd have full control of the ship.
>>
>>82634519
>twist
Is it really a twist? I thought seeing David reaching for the knife was basically confirmation. He even smiles at the xeno when he sees it on the security cameras.
>>
>10/10
>9/10
1. Alien (Scott, 1979)
>8/10
2. Predator (McTiernan, 1987)
3. Aliens (Cameron, 1986)
>7/10
4. Blade Runner (Scott, 1982)
5. Predators (Antal, 2010)
6. Alien: Covenant (Scott, 2017)
>6/10
7. AVP: Alien vs. Predator (Anderson, 2004)
8. Alien3 (Fincher, 1992)
9. Predator 2 (Hopkins, 1990)
>5/10
10. Prometheus (Scott, 2012)
>4/10
11. Alien: Resurrection (Jeunet, 1997)
>3/10
>2/10
12. Aliens vs Predator - Requiem (Strause & Strause, 2007)
>1/10
>0/10
>>
>>82634362
>Why are we right back where you began all those years ago?
This is an interesting point. Ideally there would be no more alien movies, what we got with Alien and Aliens was good enough. They were the perfect organism, the perfect killing machine. By making more movies, you've gotta either expand the mythos or retread the same ground with the same creature. The 2nd route is artistically devoid, you can't recapture that atmospheric horror of the unknown of some mysterious creature that was in the first one. The best you can do is make a decent horror movie which is what this is rather than do anything groundbreaking. But by expanding the mythos, using the neomorphs, tentacle demon rape things, you're sorta treading on your own toes since the xenomorph is already the perfect killing machine.
>>
>>82634560
i should have put that in quotes, i agree it was obvious
>>
>>82634519
Because he was more interested in being able to leave the planet and spread his creations than saving a single Xeno.
>>
>>82634462
There is no xeno. There are only two facehugger embryos currently in stasis via freezer. What David will do is anyones guess, but I literally cant handle the idea of loosing two fucking qts. What David did to Shaw got me choked up, and if Daniells suffers a similar my heart will be heavy
>>
>>82634406
I agree with this. Also not samefag.
>>
>>82634594
he could have done that anyway
>>
>>82634560
It's a really, really shitty predictable twist that literally everyone should've seen coming from the moment we see David reaching for the knife, or it's a really, really shitty choice in editing/direction to not just show us David killing Walter. How weird to leave that shot out for no good reason, especially if he's going to act suspicious as fuck for the rest of the film.
Either way, very poorly handled.
>>
>>82634519
Is it true that David can control xenos?

Black and white ones?

Xenos ignore robots and androids but controlling them is a new thang.
>>
>>82634460

You want me to make arguments? OK then.

>Christian guy the most level headed and focused on the crew
>scene set up to establish him as being logical
>next scene for no fucking reason he decides to divert course and land on the uncharted planet even though they have a strict schedule and plan they need to stick to and they know zero about this new planet
>they only leave 3 people on the mothership while the rest of the crew descend unprepared to the planet's surface
>they fly directly through the middle of a fucking storm
>They land the craft in the middle of a lake instead of flying straight to the source of the signal
>???
>next minute they're out and about
>take no precautions
>don't ask whether the air is breathable
>don't use any protective gear to guard against diseases, or anything on the planet's surface
>nobody questions the abundance of vegetation
>only one person questions the presence of fucking corn on an alien planet
>the black goo returns
>magically drills its way into someone's skin even though it's an aerosol?
>hey lets separate for no reason
>crappy CGI reminiscent of Alien 3

I'm only 20 minutes into the movie and already I'm sick of typing. Want me to go on?
>>
>>82634623
He probably couldn't fly the sip alone, at least when it came to landing on another planet and such.
>>
I felt that the crew was too large, probably to ensure enough warm bodies for CGI deaths.
A lot of them lacked for character development because of this and I had a lot of trouble caring for them like I did in Alien and Aliens.
>>
>>82634597
>caring about either daniels or shaw when margaret qualleys character dies
shes too qt for this world
>>
>>82634633
He manages to stand in front of a white one and kinda gain its trust a little by lightly blowing on its face while it stands in front of him and not making any sudden movements.
By the way, this was one of the best parts of the entire fucking film. His performance during this scene, and his fucking sheer RAGE when the thing gets shot, is astounding. My eyebrows were raised, my mouth open. Fucking incredible.

As far as the black ones go, he is present when the first is "born", by bursting out of a chest. He again makes no sudden movements and slowly moves his arms, and the creature mimics him. He then returns to the other room, and the creature runs somewhere else. This is his only interaction with a black one, though, and he is never near one again.
>>
>>82634077
Wait pol is now pro christian too? thats even more deluded than I thought they were. Jesus was a middle-eastern jew btw so your ideological position is inconsistent
>>
>>82634633
Nah, I think he can just talk to the white ones and they leave him the fuck alone.
As for the black ones, it attacked his face on the security camera so I don't think it's the same thing there.
>>
>>82634647
i think he was saying he had no arguments with your statement, not that what you said wasn't an argument
>>
>>82634647
Yeah I was thinking, hold up, this planet has planet wide storms ongoing all the fucking time. This is a terrible planet to colonise. And this was a massive undertaking likely, hundreds of billions of dollars y'know. Shit was likely planned for a decade or more, you don't just scrap that plan on a whim.

And fucking neutrino burst. That shit doesn't work that way. Neutrinos are so small they can pass through lightyears of lead iirc, they don't knock shit around.
>>
>>82634442
maybe i only chalk it down because some idiot managed to pencil into the script constant threats of rape in the monastery. like literally all i remember is falling into the smelter and about an hour of you gonna git r8ped for an hour
>>
>>82634482
>>82634482
Deleted scene?
>>
>>82634647
Oh shit blud, no arguments means he agrees with you.
You sure look silly now!
>>
>>82634647
Different anon but I'm pretty sure that bloke was agreeing with you, mate.
He meant "no arguments from me", not "you're not making any good arguments".
>>
I don't understand what the fuck is up with the goo.

In prometheus, it was just black goo, why the fuck was it acting like nanomachines, exploding in the air and targetting people like that? Shouldn't it all have just landed in a big puddle on the ground and done nothing?
>>
>>82634754
It's revealed in this film that it's a swarm of little bugs.
>>
>>82634750
>>82634743
>>82634721

Oh right, I guess I just hated this movie so much I wanted any excuse to rant.
>>
>>82634754
There's a line that explains this. David says that when the goo hits the open atmosphere it turns into floating particles instead of liquid.
I think it's when he's explaining his master plan to Walter.
>>
>>82634647
These are mostly autistic nitpicks that I didnt even ponder on for a second. Theres literally nothing in the film thats as clearly distracting as the bilogist trying to finder the snake in Prometheus (which is the only bit I dislike about the film) and thsts enough to not bug me.
>>
>>82634712
i know that maybe the comics aren't canon but in labyrinth there was a part where it was stated the xenomorphs didn't really respond much to androids, unless provoked, unlike how they would automatically attack humans. i wonder if that played a part as well, where they sense David wasn't like the others and it wasn't just some creation/creator bonding thing
>>
>>82634712
>By the way, this was one of the best parts of the entire fucking film. His performance during this scene, and his fucking sheer RAGE when the thing gets shot, is astounding.
100% agree.
>>
>>82634647
>next scene for no fucking reason he decides to divert course and land on the uncharted planet even though they have a strict schedule and plan they need to stick to and they know zero about this new planet.

They did another planet scan after the solar storm, which revealed the Engineer's homeworld planet which according to the same scan, was more suitable to life, had better distance to its star, and had oceans. Rather than go into cryosleep for 7 and a half years, they opted to go to the engineer's homeworld to explore and investigate the source of signal which they had also stumbled upon. Seems a plausible reason to proceed to the Engineer's homeworld planet.
>>
>>82634774
What? That bug in his room was the size of a fist.
>>
Did Lindelof write this one too? It's just as silly as Prometheus
>>
>>82634815
... wasn't he looking at it under a microscope?
When do we ever see fist-sized bugs in the other films?
Pretty sure it was microscopic.
>>
David grew the eggs in Shaw's torso right? Like the deleted scene with Dallas in Alien
>>
>>82634786
>floating particles
But that still doesn't explain how the particles zoom around, targeting people, gathering together and forming into little constructs. If their particles it would just been a heavy dark cloud but that's not how it behaved.
>>
>>82634804
>Seems a plausible reason to proceed to the Engineer's homeworld planet.

They don't even debate it. It's C-grade slasher movie levels of dumb. You know what's going to happen 10 minutes in advance.
>>
How the fuck did the second alien get on board the ship?
>>
>>82634804
except that weather monitoring and geological stability takes time. oh well we looked through the telescope and its kinda green so fuck it lets land there instead.
>>
>>82634839
oh shit what... i couldve sworn it had needles pinning it down like the giant hercules beetle.

but, even if it were insects... how the fuck does fungus spawn insects? and why would the insects gather together into shapes to infect people at a single point rather than doing it individually all over his body?
>>
>>82634848
Looked to me like he just cut her open to check out her insides and work out how his facehuggers were going to work, how he'd engineer their instincts to tell them where to burst from the torso, etc, etc.

Apparently there's a deleted scene that's not this at all, but that's what I got from the scene in the film.
>>
File: image.png (75KB, 200x269px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
75KB, 200x269px
>>82634864
>they dont even debate it
>2nd in chief literally debates it
Your point is as shit as the bonus situation
>>
>>82633992
>>82634013
Even then a little flick knife shouldn't be enough to get it off. In alien they required fuckin lasers, the acid blood should've just melted the knife as it cut through
>>
>>82633378
>wall of text blog review
>7/10 safe rating to prevent any backlash or criticism
>it's not as good as the classics, but it's close! :^)

Shill thread.
>>
>>82634482
Shaw should have died from infection off screen. What's the point of having her in the prologue if we're no longer seeing things through her eyes. Why not send her off into deep space broadcasting so that her gods could find her and give her an answer. I hate this awfulness they've given us.

>>82634572
There are so many other things they could have done with the xenomorph horror. So many other ways they could have gone. Me? I would have said that the alien creature that comes out of you, literally captures your essence when you die and you become slaved to it. The only after life you get is the one attached to those things. And by becoming one of them, you're linked to every victim and host, of every alien, there ever was. You join a chain of one thing, after another, after another, and you see engineers and other species, billions of years into the past, and you join them, stuck, and trapped, both experiencing your memories but a Giger version of them, all the while experiencing the agony and dying of those people not even born yet and of those ones who were all the way back, billions of years into antiquity. You're the mouth a futa like alien queen goes to and she shoves her tendril cock into your mouth and the back of your head explodes with light and fusion and your memories extend endlessly into the deepest places of the hidden realms that is pulsating with the viscera of flesh and copulating gangrene pulsating presciences that gives you a morphing fresco of what's to come and what was and what could have been, and you're screaming in terror and agony and pain as the horror of being destroyed by the xenomorph or infected by the black goo or being a host to one or having the acid devour you or simply being in the vicinity of these serpents would entrap your spirit, your sentient value, or soul, whatever you want to call it. Where a xeno succubui demonic witch deity awaits.
>>
>>82634918
>we broke the 4th wall just to tell you we know its stupid so pls dont complain because we already told you we know its stupid
I hate this in scifi.
>yes this is bad storytelling pls dont tell us we know
>>
I will admit, the first backburster scene was really cool. The way the mist of blood spurted out and hit the girls face was cool.

I really wish she'd just curb stomp the fucking thing the instant it popped out though. It was tiny and vulnerable as fuck then.
>>
>>82634911

The more important thing is how the fuck did they think it was a good idea to explain the Alien origins as just the product of an android experimenting on insects?
>>
So did they confirm that it was the engineer's homeworkers that David wiped out? Why did the engineers look so different compared to Prometheus?
>>
>>82634903
The guy who survived the facehugger attack was impregnated by it.
Unless you believe the fags who think David chucked one of his fetuses in the microwave and let it loose offscreen.
>>
>>82634903
Anons in the thread are still debating it but it appears the general consensus is that the facehugger that the burnt-cheek dude was grappling with actually did somehow manage to impregnate him and burst from him onboard.

>>82634921
I mean if we're subscribing to the theory that it actually did manage to impregnate him then maybe it just got off him because it was done doing what it was there to do, right?

>>82634944
You caught me. 20th Century Fox, in collaboration with Scott Free Productions, has paid me a sizable sum to gather 21 posters together on 4chan's /tv/ board so that I can encourage these 21 film fans to go and see their movie. Busted.
>>
>>82634978
>So did they confirm that it was the engineer's homeworkers that David wiped out?
no

>Why did the engineers look so different compared to Prometheus?
We don't know
>>
>>82634918

They talk about it for 30 seconds. None of the rest of the crew seems to care at all.
>>
>>82634954
>i don't know what a fourth wall is: the official post
>>
>>82634982

It was on him for like a second. It's meant to take hours right? Fuck this movie.
>>
>>82634989
>gather 21 posters
Oh fuck I wasn't even paying attention to that. I kinda assumed there were way more people in this thread. This is just like, maybe a dozen people arguing with each other. Probably less.
>>
>>82634156
Rape doesn't fly in Hollywood these days even if it was originally the theme of the franchise
>>
>>82634978
Maybe the ones shown in Prometheus just happen to have mad aesthetics and all the ugly plebs just sat around on their shitty homeworld around the pyramid because there's fucking nothing else on there
>>
>>82634946
why do you think adding magic to a sci-fi horror is a good idea?
>>
>>82635018
>It's meant to take hours right
Says who? All it's doing is shoving an egg down the throat, seconds is all it takes. Seconds which it didn't get in this one however.
>>
>>82634946
>literally captures your essence when you die and you become slaved to it
What? So it makes a copy of your brain?

That sounds kinda dumb.

What you're describing is some metaphysical hivemind. That's retarded. You're making it out to be religous. Alien was never about religion, it was sex horror.
>>
>I knows you're the devil, I seen him before
>...yeah whatever dude, just look in this creepy looking egg for a second
>>
>>82635052
>seconds is all it takes

Says who? In Alien it's attached to Kane for hours.
>>
>>82635092
Why didn't he just fuck up his composure.
>>
>>82633544
Does interspecies still trigger you? If so yes.
>>
Ok, so this movie happens 20 years before Alien, how are we suppose to believe David created the xenomorph?

20 years later in Alien we find this huge ancient fossilized "engineer" with a hole in his chest.

The time line doesn't make any sense, thanks Ridley you senile fuck.
>>
>>82635092
Whole audience chuckled to themselves when he actually walked up to the egg.
>>
>>82635125

the audience in mine couldn't stop laughing in the recorder scene. Neither could I, it was absurd.
>>
>>82635106
Well think about it, how long does it take to shove a egg down someones throat once you've got your dick in their mouth? They're unconscious for hours because it takes time for the thing to mature and grow. Better to keep the victim unconscious so they can't do anything until its too late.

But this one was still bad because the cap was only gone for like, less than 15 minutes, it shouldn't have been big enough to burst out at that point.
>>
>>82635167
>recorder scene
what?
>>
>>82635170

It's retarded, just admit it.
>>
>>82635013
when the character literally stops the whole show to address the audience and tell them that this part of the show which obviously ruins the illusion and suspension of disbelief by being so fucking out of place, that they do something even worse and fucking stop the entire show just to have someone explain that element is so fucking stupid.

unless you feel this thing is subtle in any way. to me, its the director taking the time to make it even worse than it already was.
>>
>>82635193

When David teaches Walter how to blow his flute
>>
File: Walter blows David's flute.jpg (48KB, 500x231px) Image search: [Google]
Walter blows David's flute.jpg
48KB, 500x231px
>>82635193
he means this
>>
>>82635234
oh. yeah that shit was weird.

who the fuck calls a flute a recorder?
>>
>>82635092
Yeah, I wish he'd actually elaborated on that devil experience he had.

>>82635114
There's still one more film between this and Alien, anything could happen.

>>82635125
My audience was also laughing at this.

>>82635167
Mine only laughed at the "fingering" line. They were fine for the rest of it. I actually really liked that scene. Best use of the double-action technique I've ever seen, it was flawless how it transitioned from each Fassbender.
>>
>>82633682
There's fags in the movie, I thought it was about couples who could procreate?
>>
>>82635167
>>82635234
Perhaps audiences just aren't ready for homosexual tension between two identical robots.
>>
>>82634989
Try to worm your way out of it any way you want, you Jewy fuck, I know your game.
You're giving this movie exposure by having it on the catalog alone.
>>
>>82633378
I just want to know if this suffers the general Ridley Scott problem of delivering a hobbled theatrical cut. Is there going to be a blu-ray with 40min of cut material that makes the film actually coherent?
>>
>>82635268
>who the fuck calls a flute a recorder?

A recorder is a type of flute
>>
>>82635323
The pacing was pretty strange and an awful lot of characters seem glossed over despite having important roles, I wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot of deleted footage.
>>
>>82635268
>>82635308
i mean if you were as good looking as fassbender, wouldn't you hit on yourself?
>>
>>82635323
Yes, it's easily noticeable things got cut.
>>
>>82635170
In every other film it's taken much, much longer for the thing to fall away. That's all the anon is saying.

>>82635204
Different anon but I don't think you know what "breaking the fourth wall" means.

>>82635268
It's a non-American term. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recorder_(musical_instrument)

>>82635291
No, it was about colonising and raising families. Gay people can have families.
>>
>>82635291
They're the crew, they probably go back home, the colonists are in hypersleep.
>>
One of the biggest problems the movie has was the abundance of cliches, tropes and references (read: lapses in creativity) to the previous movies.

Also the alien isn't scary.
>>
I thought the religious guy talking about how he's discriminated against for being a 'person of faith' was pretty neato.
>>
>>82633378

Being better than Prometheus isn't hard to achieve.
>>
File: flutist-2a-iS.jpg (40KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
flutist-2a-iS.jpg
40KB, 425x282px
>>82635343
no its not. and that's not a flute either you retard. this is literally a flute. he's playing a pipe instrument. it's neither a recorder or a flute but at least it look more like a recorder than a flute in any way.
>>
>>82635389
Nah, they're going to settle down as well. At one point the captain's wife tells him "remember, they're your crew until we land, then they're your neighbours", or something to that effect.
Also, the first officer keeps talking about the cabin she's going to build when they land.
>>
>>82635114
We know how it ends - a ship full if eggs with at least one Engineer in it lands on LV246. Uo until that point, literally anything can happen. Im just really curious to see what happens next. Covenant wasnt a secret mission like Prometheus, so Weyland will certainly send someone. I persoanlly cant see them sending anyone other than a security team of sorts.
>>
>>82635362
>It's a non-American term
I live in NZ, literally never heard it before.
>>
>>82635406
The little white xenos were much more unsettling than 'the perfect killing machine'.
I think the actual xenos were bungled horribly in this. They turn up late and don't get to do much before they die.
>>
>>82635417

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recorder_(musical_instrument)
>>
>>82635434
oh yeah true... but, what happens to the ship then? its a massive asset, they gotta return it surely so it can make more colony trips. someones gotta pilot it.
>>
>>82635463
so you admit you don't know what the fuck you're talking about?
>>
>>82635362
I dont think you know. i already explained it using the technical terms. do you think breaking the 4th wall only happens if they literally zoom out so you can see the production staff or dip the boom mic? no, its when they break the suspension of disbelief.
>>
>>82635362
>>82635389
So are there fags in the movie or not?
>>
>>82635446
Didn't David just continue on to their destination and doctor the logs so that the crew supposedly died in some accident in the end? Legit question, my eyes had glossed over hard by that point.
>>
I'm gonna go see this in IMAX tonight, but so I don't get too excited, does the CG look any better than the previews? The fucking backburster things looked genuinely terrible on the big screen, and I doubt they were showing unfinished shit, but I can dream
>>
>>82635516
yes there are.
>>
You know I think David was right, everyone in this film deserved to die for being so stupid
>>
>>82635047
It's not FUCKING magic it's the universe, the strangelets about us and the fucking particulates of matter that are neither here nor there, it is the smallest bits and their dualities and their waves of potentialities applied to a sentient fulcrum that is able to make them both here there, and never anywhere.

The goo bridges the gap between the uncertainty principle and what would happen if sentience existed there. It's Akira all over again, "What would happen if a human will, there mind or any will or sentience existed in the places, the smallest places where matter is reduced to a wave?"

The quantum universe is both magical and supernatural, strange and otherworldly, and thats' where this place lies.

>>82635088
You atheist are so afraid of anything other than you, you foolishly forget that the quantum world behaves supernaturally all the time and yet, here you are, running like frightened children at the mere mention of things that are strange.

>>82635291
yes there are fags in the movie. Happily they die horribly. Bravo Ridley. So as long as the gays dies horribly, I welcome them. Sadly there were no dykes who was throat fucked by a face hugger and then have this baby burst out of her abdomen. That would be fap worthy.
>>
File: pan.jpg (81KB, 550x434px) Image search: [Google]
pan.jpg
81KB, 550x434px
>>82635463
wow. every kid in school learns to play the recorder in australia. NZ is a strange place.
also no, a recorder is a different instrument. just like a cello isnt a violin even though they're sort of shaped the same.

pic related, pan pipes
>>
>>82635513
Not that guy, but breaking the fourth wall wouldn't be "It's stupid to go to that planet!" it would be "We're going to the unknown planet? What is this, a stupid sci-fi movie?"
>>
>>82635516
But I think these fags die horribly. Think of fate as the inquisition bringing swift justice to the scum. I want them to die horribly, screaming and gagging, and shitting themselves as death takes them away into the hidden places of the never were, tumbling into a hell of the engineer's making.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 1100x621px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 1100x621px
>>82634567
>ranking Aliens above Blade Runner
Fuck are you on mate?
>>
>>82635513
No you really don't understand what breaking the fourth wall is. By your own admission, its addressing the audience directly. Looking at the camera and saying, "Oh did you think I forgot about you?", she was literally debating another character, while in character. That's not breaking the fourth wall, you just don't understand the term.
>>
>>82635573
>The goo bridges the gap between the uncertainty principle

The goo bridges the gap between bad writing and marketable script
>>
>>82635463
I'm in Australia, pretty much every primary school kid here learnt to play the recorder in grades 1-7.
I've always called the sideways ones the flutes.

Obviously I am not a musician, though.

>>82635495
In a lot of sci-fi, from Clarke to Star Trek to Interstellar, the ship itself is converted upon landing to be the buildings and structures that will comprise the first main colony on the new planet. They never mention this in the film, though.

>>82635516
Yes.

>>82635513
Yeah, pretty much. When the narrative is broken by a character directly addressing the audience or a character acknowledging that they are in a fictional story, or your example where you are intentionally shown pieces of the set, that's breaking the fourth wall. Even when an actor looks directly at the camera to give some sort of facial expression, that's breaking the fourth wall.

When Tom looks at the camera at the end of 500 Days of Summer, that's breaking the fourth wall.
Kevin Spacey's statements to the camera in House of Cards is breaking the fourth wall.
Deadpool addressing the audience is breaking the fourth wall.
Bruce Willis telling Joseph Gordon-Levitt in Looper that he can't be bothered explaining time-travel to him is not breaking the fourth wall, it's just lazy writing.
>>
>>82634163

He smuggled two facehuggers
>>
>>82633378
Spoiler alert question:
Why did no one noticed that "walter" needed stiches on the face when Walter couls regenerate himself?
>>
>>82635539
Nothing on doctoring logs, just that theyre heading to the planet theyre suppose. Also theres no way hed be able to doctor logs - they expect communication from more than just the android.
>>
>>82635621
I was ranking the theatrical cuts of each film. I think it's unfair to use straight-to-dvd cuts that were released later when ranking films.
>>
>>82635640
Yes, it does, so if the movie's going to be fucking awful why not try to fly like a fucking bird as you tumble to the ground? Sure, you're still going to go splat, but try to flap your arms like a bird if able. I'd through all of Giger into that shit, I'd throw in Nirvana, And Kimset and Krishna and all the fucking demons of Chinese lore, I would entangle all of them if only succinctly and see what my madness has wrought upon Cinema.
>>
>>82635617
The xenomorph kills were pretty brutal. The tongue dagger seemed way more hardcore in this one. It goes all the way through the dudes head rather than just punching a hole. The neomorph also bit that chicks head right off. Strong bite for such a small mouth.
>>
>>82635573
>physics
>magical
uhh, no its not. but go ahead and believe your popscience memes.

dude they just injected more fantasy into it than science. just like star trek movies with JarJar Abrahams. there's no rhyme or reason to it.
>>
>>82635695
Even then it's still miles above Aliens.
>>
File: Louis Reaction.jpg (31KB, 350x353px) Image search: [Google]
Louis Reaction.jpg
31KB, 350x353px
>>82635573
>It's not FUCKING magic it's the universe
>The quantum universe is both magical and supernatural
>>
>>82635674
Maybe Walter hadn't cut himself in front of the others at that point? They're just chilling in a cockpit, why is it hard to believe he'd never injured himself?

>>82635722
Sure, I can appreciate that opinion. It's not like you're saying AVP2 is miles above Aliens.
>>
>>82635674
idiot ball? bad writing. that shit shouldve been an instant tell.
>>
>>82635674
Why didn't he regenerate a hand then
>>
>>82635615
ask yourself this, "why would a character in a movie, where all actions are planned and everything presented to you especially the script, go ahead and say something like that?"
>>
>>82635764
Because he's not regenerating shit. It's just closing a wound.
>>
>>82635774
I don't really want to get involved in your gay little argument 2bh
>>
>>82635669
that is deus ex machina. a narrator doesnt break the 4th wall.
>>
>>82635774
Illogicalities are not the same thing as fourth-wall breaks.
Mate, all of us know exactly what you mean, and most of us agree with you that it was stupid.

We're simply saying that you're misusing the term "fourth wall". You can either take our word for it or look it up yourself. You are absolutely using it incorrectly, though.
>>
anyway a burger could see this early? a cam rip or something?

I plan to go when it comes out and probably a couple of times after. but damn I wont make it that long without spoilers
>>
>>82635701
It feels like they were showing their CGI off. The attacks in the good movies are much more disturbing in my opinion.
>>
>>82635617
>>82635669
>>82635573
I'm not gonna see it if it's fags, they're nastier than the xenos
>>
>>82635833
ok then
>>
>>82635615
>it would be "We're going to the unknown planet? What is this, a stupid sci-fi movie?"
even that's not breaking the fourth wall, that's just being meta.
>>
>>82635234

Look Walter is a cockholster
>>
>>82635827
Nigga be patient. Its totally worth it. I only watched the prologues and one of the trailers and a fair amount of the film had me both surprised and shocked. Just hide all ayylium threads like I did
>>
>>82635824
>that is deus ex machina. a narrator doesnt break the 4th wall.
>narration is a deus ex machina
>>
>>82635792
Right. Maybe the cuts were large enough they wouldn't close.
>>
>>82635701
I love the mutilation in these movies. I can't wait to see it on the big screen. I hope they're screaming or shitting themselves, being purified with ascended agonies on their way to nirvana.

>>82635720
It is magical. Tell me, what do you call it when a billiard ball, or bit of matter, the smallest bits, and the even smaller bits behave differently, depending upon you observing them or not, what is that called?

It's either supernatural or it's natural. NOW, I don't know about you, but when I drop dirt, it doesn't become a wave of potentiality when i'm not looking or acts as dirt when I am looking, now does it?

You can theorize what's happening out of your ass, as a great many others has. But, there's a great book written by a Quantum Physicist and professor, a British Chap, a guy named Jim Al Kahill. The book's called Quantum.
>>
>>82635825
no im saying that paired together, the director adding an element to the story that makes it stupid, then also having a character stating that a particular thing makes no sense means that there is an implied dialogue with the audience that yes this makes no sense but i put it in anyway. fuck i'd rather they just skipped the corn and statement and added a scene of kevin spacey eating an ice cream suggestively instead.
>>
>>82635291

I bet they need cockholsters to meet the diversity quota
>>
>>82635867
>that's just being meta

That's breaking the fourth wall
>>
>>82635867
Painting the fourth wall
>>
>>82635904
No, it's not. Christ, are you still going?
>>
>>82635875
its not that i dont trust myself its that i dont trust the internet
>>
>>82635833
The only time you notice they are fag is when one dies and he says I love you
>>
>>82635729
If it quakes like a duck you're welcomed to say it's a recording of a duck or it's a faggot making a cock sucking duck sound,but the sound the music player and the fag was imitating, was in actuality a duck. So it's both supernatural and real, and because it is the real behaving supernaturally then it's supernatural.
>>
>>82635916

>Breaking the fourth wall" is any instance in which this performance convention, having been adopted more generally in the drama, is violated. This can be done through either directly referencing the audience or the work they are in, or referencing their fictionality. The temporary suspension of the convention in this way draws attention to its use in the rest of the performance. This act of drawing attention to a play's performance conventions is metatheatrical.

I'm not even that guy
>>
>>82635833
>>82635864
Every fuckking alien movie including versus >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> covenant because feeeeeyaaaags!
>>
File: 1420989769340.jpg (24KB, 308x302px)
1420989769340.jpg
24KB, 308x302px
>>82635824
>misunderstanding not only the term 'fourth wall', but deux ex machina too
>>
>>82635887
Shut the fuck up, reddit.
>>
>>82635792
Didn't David rip out one of his core components or something? Seems weird to be able to regenerate that and not a hand.
>>
>>82635573

One cockholsters dies from a neckburster. The other cockholsters from a chestburster
>>
>>82635878
>he literally doesnt know what deus ex machina means
yeah in ye olde greek stories, literally a god comes down from the heavens and explains part of the story. they were lowered on set by a rope and wheel, so yeah a god is lowered by a machine. deus ex machina.

did you think it's when they add a sonic screwdriver that's infinitely powerful and never breaks or like some kind of magical spider scaring star that's the dungeons and dragons equivalent of starting with an atomic bomb at lvl 1?

no thats not deus ex machina.
>>
>>82635945
okay then
>>
>>82635924
Ewww gross, I threw up a little in mouth reading this.
>>
>>82635833
yes, fags are gross and are even nastier than Gremlins. But, they die in this one, HORRIBLY, I'm sure. So I want to see that. That's exciting to me.

>>82635924
Does he get ripped to shreds when he says I love you? Does his guts spill out?

>>82635959
Never been to reddit. Are they okay with the natural world behaving supernaturally too, like me?

>>82635963
I can't wait. Throat buster sounds sexy.
>>
>>82635937
>This can be done through either directly referencing the audience or the work they are in, or referencing their fictionality.
>directly referencing the audience or the work they are in, or referencing their fictionality.
>directly referencing
>directly

Fourth-wall break:
>Gail (turning to camera): Now, at this point, I'm realising that walking down that path in the dark is a bad idea, but hey, I really like this Marcus guy and I don't want him to think I'm chicken!

Not a fourth-wall break:
>Gail: What, you want to walk down there, Marcus? Haven't you ever seen a horror movie?

Being meta or self-aware does not necessitate a fourth-wall break. A character in Alien: Covenant tells another character that descending to this new planet is probably a bad idea. That's the film being self-aware, but the fiction is not broken.
>>
>>82635960
He stabbed him in the neck with the flute, and pulled out the flute was all. Nothing was lost, so nothing was regenerated, just sealed up. Losing a hand would require material replacement from somewhere.
>>
>>82635960
I don't think he regenerated, just closed the wound and rebooted or some shit.
>>
>>82636009
>>Gail: What, you want to walk down there, Marcus? Haven't you ever seen a horror movie?

That is definitely a fourth wall break
>>
>>82636009
This man is right.

>>82635937
Not samefag, but there truly is a distinction between the two. Its small but its there.
>>
>>82635997
Watching a fag die is like watching shit get microwaved it's even nastier plus with all the xeno shit going on I can only handle so much nasty
>>
>>82634146
There's no evidence that he was a human either.

Plus when they eat at the beginning of Aliens, Bishop says something of line "The [Ash] models were always a bit twitchy", make it seems like there are multiples of them
>>
>>82636049
No it's not because its not acknowledging the existence of an audience. Horror movies exist within the context of horror movies.
>>
>>82635969
Neither of those examples you've cited are deus ex machinas.

A deus ex machina is simply when all hope seems lost for a certain character and they are abruptly rescued by another character unexpectedly.
Like,
>The Dark Knight Rises - where Bane is about to kill Batman and is suddenly blasted away by Catwoman on a batpod. THAT is a deus ex machina.
>In Toy Story 3, when the toys are about to fall into the furnace, and the claw pulls them to safety. Deus ex machina.
>When Sam and Frodo are on Mt. Doom and about to die in the lava, and eagles swoop down and take them to safety. Deus ex machina.
>Jurassic World, when the Indominus Rex is about to kill them. Mosasaurus ex machina.
These are deus ex machinas.

Kevin Spacey turning to the camera in House of Cards and explaining his motivations with a cool monologue or story from his youth is not a deus ex machina. At all.

Now, I'm not a student of Ancient Greek literature so it's entirely possible that you're correct in your assessment of its etymology. It is not, however, the current definition of the term and its application to the study of film.
>>
>>82634146
>Some folks reckon that Weyland at the end of Alien3 was another android. There's no evidence to support it, they just like to feel clever.

Other than Human Bishop appearing in AVP but "not muh canon" or whatever.
>>
>>82636049
No, it's fucking not.
>>
>>82636070
why do you sound like someone still in junior high?
>>
>>82636009
it's not breaking the 4th wall when the story is told from the narrators perspective. because the entire story is framed as being from their perspective so it doesnt break suspension of disbelief. just as a narrator in any story doesnt break the 4th wall. because we're entirely aware that it's a story being told from their perspective.

when they do something that makes the story unbelievable, that's breaking the 4th wall. because the entire premise of the movie is that all events that take place follow from doing something that makes no sense at all then doing it anyway and the director decides to actually point out, through a character, that the actions taken do indeed make no sense at all. this ruins the story.
>>
>>82636081
>There's no evidence that he was a human either.
Oh, come on. Christ.

>Plus when they eat at the beginning of Aliens, Bishop says something of line "The [Ash] models were always a bit twitchy", make it seems like there are multiples of them
Okay, that one's entirely fair.
>>
>>82635621
>putting your shit movie with alien franchise

your lucky he did that in the first place you ungrateful cunt
>>
>>82636143
Toy story 3 and lotr don't count
>>
>>82636070
I remember reading this book, decades ago, that was written in the seventies. its' about these orgies like studio 58 or 54, whatever. In it there's an axe Wheeling maniac who goes into this exclusive club and obliterates everyone there. And everyone is so busy being degenerates, they don't pay attention. It was so cash.
>>
>>82636180
I think the filmmakers of AvP just said that the Weyland in AvP was the great-great-grandfather or whatever of the Weyland we see in Alien3.

>>82636213
No, that's just called a shitty story.
>>
>>82636213
>when they do something that makes the story unbelievable, that's breaking the 4th wall
>that man just gunned down 50 soldiers, unbelievable i cant believe they just broke the fourth wall.
>>
>>82636143
no that's something the gods do as a part of deus ex machina. they might interceed and offer a magical spear like in the beginning of the iliad when athena leaves behind her spear. or they might give the character a magical horse named pegasus, because it's not believable that a mortal can defeat a god without the help of another god. in this sense, it actually enhances the believability of the story.

what you're talking about is NOT deus ex machina. that's just lazy story writing. good thing i was wearing this invincibility shield made by the elves! good thing there are these giant birds that can defeat demons and carry us to the volcano but they wont because then the story would be really short! fucking anticlimatic bs.
>>
>>82636297
>The term has evolved to mean a plot device whereby a seemingly unsolvable problem is suddenly and abruptly resolved by the inspired and unexpected intervention of some new event, character, ability or object.

Idiot
>>
>>82636297
Sorry, how is being gifted a mithril vest by the elves different from being gifted a magical spear by a god?

You're also very wrong, but I've explained the term to you as best as I can. Go to film school or have a bit of a Google if that's beyond you.
>>
>macguffin
>chekhov's gun
>mary sue
>plot hole
>deus ex machina
>fourth wall

These are terms that should be avoided on /tv/ unless you are entirely certain you actually know how to use them.
>>
>>82635573
>>82635669
>>82635887
>>82635997
>when you tip your fedora so hard that it becomes a negatively charged anti fedora
>>
>>82636238
LotR is litterally a Deus Ex Machina, even IN UNIVERSE
>>
>>82636400
take chekhov's gun and kill yourself, you fucking mary sue machina
>>
>>82636357
Haven't entered this argument yet. But from my understanding, neither of those are deus ex machina unless they happen suddenly and abruptly while also resolving a plot point.

It's like, giant eagles saving you isn't necessarily a deus ex machina unless that shit came out of nowhere. If it was like, the giant eagles will come, but only after mating season in 2 months, expect them. Not deus ex. Oh god we're gonna die, oh hey look giant eagles, btw there are giant eagles in the world, deus ex.

Haven't read the LotR books, are the giant eagles known for helping out? Were they mentioned before they appeared? Did the fellowship know they'd be receiving that help?
>>
>>82636357
because it serves no other purpose and doesnt contribute to the story. it's as though the author went back and just threw in a line "oh i got an invincibility cloak" then also implied that he didnt because "muh invincibility cloak lmao remember guyyzzz?!?"

the difference is that when the gods give some trancendental artefact, it's for a specific purpose that they tell them about. it's not one of those bs stories where the character goes for a coffee at the beginning of the story, puts a straw in his pocket, then right at the end the straw happens to fit the alien key hole to the machine that grants him his greatest wish.

no, i'm just saying that it's just bad story telling that's so bad it ruins the story to the point where you cant engage it anymore because it's absurd. the constant buildup to certain death moments in modern action movies only to conveniently land on the worlds largest pillow that happenned to be below you at this opportune moment after falling off a building is just because the author was too stupid to have a plan for any of the scenes and they were going on too long.
>>
>>82636546
Yeah, I'm with you, I was just asking that gent a question. I wrote this post >>82636143.
In the film, they're laying there on the rocks, and the lava comes towards them. They accept their fate, and say that they're happy to be dying together. Then, at the last moment, eagles swoop into the shot and carry them both to safety. That's a deus ex machina.
>>
>>82636070

Probably need to watch out for the aids from the cockholster
>>
>>82636646
Jesus Christ, we get it, that's your new word-of-the-day
>>82635963
>>82635902
>>82635870
>>82635902
>>
>>82636586
You're wrong. Everyone is telling you you're wrong. You are alone. You are barely typing legibly, and have clearly not completed your secondary education, let alone tertiary.
You are in a thread on a film board with multiple fellow cinephiles informing you that you are wrong and trying to give you a hand so that you won't be wrong in the future.
A deus ex machina in film (again, not a student of Ancient Greek literature so it's entirely possible it has a different meaning there) is a sudden intervention for a character by another character when all hope seems lost.

When five friends are all killed and the sixth friend is about to be murdered by the bad guy, then suddenly the bad guy falls over dead and one of the five presumed-dead folks is standing behind him alive with a smoking gun in his hand, that's a deus ex machina.
I truly and honestly cannot explain it in smaller words than I already have. Good luck.
>>
>>82636546
no, you never hear about the giant eagles until they turn up and carry everyone to safety right at the precipice of certain death. gandalf does have a chat with a small normal bird that flies off while they're being followed tho but it's more like, idk that's gandalf being high af again and talking to birds. either way, Tolkien resolves every single moment of tension in his stories by going back to a previous chapter and slotting in a mysterious character we've never heard about and has no connection to anything else giving them a perfect OP weapon that can be used just to avoid certain death after building up a scene of overwhelming defeat.
>>
>>82633633
That would be cool if it went from 6 or 7/10 theatrical cut style like with Kingdom of heaven tot a solid 9/10 with Kino of Heaven Director's Cut.

Who knows, a 1 point increase with a possible director's cut would be worth it.
>>
>>82636718
yeha, you're wrong. it doesnt matter how many people agree with you, i know what it means. you could consider what I'm saying and actually go back to the references i've given and realise that it's a common misconception, what you're saying, but you wont because you feel that you've come to consensus.

read some grammar textbooks. my writing is legible. I just use some more advanced structures in my writing than you're used to.
>>
Literally no one went into this movie wanting another cheap crappy horror flick. The reason Prometheus generated so much hype was because of the promise of exploring the mythology around the engineers, and instead all we got was DUDE. BIOWEAPON. LMAO.

if this is just another horror film then it's fucking pointless. No one asked for a clone of Aliens
>>
>>82636297
>what you're talking about is NOT deus ex machina

>litearlly one of the most cited examples of deus ex machina is the eagles in lotr

what are you on about man.

http://www.literarydevices.com/deus-ex-machina/
>>
>>82636793
>you could consider what I'm saying and actually go back to the references i've given
You have not provided a single reference that I've seen. Please point them out to me.

>read some grammar textbooks.
I've read plenty. I've actually finished school.

>my writing is legible.
Yes. Barely. That's what I said.

>I just use some more advanced structures in my writing than you're used to.
No, you don't even know how to capitalise correctly. You're a lazy writer with posts that are riddled with typographical errors and god-awful punctuation. Nothing about you is advanced, let alone your writing.
>>
>>82633378
>alien3 better than prometheus
why do contrarians pretend alien3 isn't complete garbage?
>>
>>82636846
>The reason Prometheus generated so much hype was because of the promise of exploring the mythology around the engineers, and instead all we got was DUDE. BIOWEAPON. LMAO.

I could not disagree more. Prometheus generated hype because it was the first thing related to the Alien franchise for a while and brought Scott back to helm the franchise.

But then it turned out to be something completely different, and threw a bunch of bullshit and convoluted mythology at the audience along with a script full of stupid characters. It was a huge misfire in an attempt to bring new mythology to the Alien franchise. Everyone saw it for what it was, which is why they tried to course correct so damn hard with this movie.

And you know what? I'm glad they did. Prometheus might be the biggest disappointment I've ever experienced in theaters. Covenant made not bring anything new to the table, but if we had to take a step back before taking a couple steps forward, I'm more than fine with that.
>>
>>82633378
>a very clever sci-fi movie

>crew walks onto an alien world in coats and hats

Yeah no. It's dumb as fuck and I suspect you are too.
>>
>>82637020
I don't pretend; it's a genuine opinion. I only have it slightly higher, and still only at a 6.
>>
>>82637054
>>crew walks onto an alien world in coats and hats
They walk onto a planet with a breathable atmosphere whilst armed and dressed in fatigues.
Why are you oversimplifying it as if I haven't seen the movie?
>>
>>82636902
because there's no explanation as to why they even exist or do anything? at the very beginning of the iliad for example, the gods are all talking about how it'd be funny to make Zeus and Poseidon buttmad by helping out this really cool dude who they really like and besides, they live forever so it's something to do. so here's this guy, blundering into all these bad situations but the gods want to make Zeus and Posiedon buttmad for their own entertainment. it's not a story about a hero per se but a story of a man beloved by the gods. he's more of an extremely lucky lucky fool and many of the events hinge on this cosmic luck he possesses.

i can understand why it's misunderstood. but that reading of it is wrong.
>>
>>82637098
as if any of those precautions are adequate.

it doesnt matter if the oxygen content in the air is enough to be breathable, they did literally zero tests to see what else was in the air. this is literally an alien world. you'd need to be beyond pants on head retarded to go out without a fully sealed environment suit and breathing apparatus that filtered everything for the first 2 weeks or so.
>>
>>82634482

I don't remember this, when was this stated?
>>
>>82633378
it's true what they say about walter/david about they making out?
>>
>>82637056
name one good thing about aliens 3. And please try to be honest. This is for posterity.
>>
>>82637159
what? are you agreeing or disagreeing its a deus ex machina. because it sounds like you're agreeing with me and calling it a deus ex machina because
>there's no explanation as to why they even exist or do anything
thats describing a deus ex machina. you're literally describing the eagles as a deus ex.
>>
>>82637160
That's totally fair. That's also what happens in the vast majority of Star Trek as well, though. Are you saying that Star Trek is bad sci-fi? Just because Covenant doesn't bother going for ultra-realism doesn't mean that it doesn't handle science-fiction concepts like artificial intelligence exceptionally well.

>>82637204
The bloke in love with the xenomorph who refers to it as a dragon.
>>
>>82637029
> Prometheus generated hype because it was the first thing related to the Alien franchise for a while

Nah, if they had simply advertised it as a generic slasher set on a space station with the alien involved I wouldn't have been hyped at all. It generated the same excitement that Interstellar, or any other space movie that offers some glimpse into an unknown intelligence and can inspire a sense of awe. that's what made me hyped for prometheus, and why the trailer for alien covenant was so disappointing. If I wanted to see Alien or Aliens I'd go watch them again, why do we need yet another slasher clone offering nothing remotely original attempting to recreate those films?
>>
>>82637246
Yeah, he's not exceptionally bright. Welcome to the conversation.
>>
>>82633378
Still doesn't answer all the engineers questions. Worse, it adds more engineers questions.
>>
>>82637275
so he's in love with an anthropomorphic giant black dick? and this is a good thing? are you a faggot?
>>
>>82637275
no im not saying anything other than refuting your notion what they did was enough.
>>
>>82637360
Yes, but your only argument against me saying that I found the sci-fi concepts to be clever is that they weren't wearing spacesuits.
>>
>>82637303
because they're using brand power. i was pissed because we'd get to meet an engineer. instead he just dick punches an old dude and that's the last we hear from him.
>>
>>82635924
Glad I'm not watching this shit.
>>
>>82637409
not actually the same guy.

still ill join this conversation. why did you think it was clever?
>>
>>82637303
Again I disagree. Take a look at the final trailer again. https://youtu.be/nmJOO6D5RvA

The most the trailer promises is some kind of sci-if mumbo jumbo mystery bolstered with impressive production values and craft. There's nothing here that elicits the kind of existential questions that are (bluntly and clumsily) asked in the movie. Prometheus advertised a fun space adventure, but it wasn't even really that.
>>
>>82637275
TNG was great for scifi. Know thine own self is my favorite. everything after was like, multiple seasons of space jews and explosions.
>>
>>82637424
People give this movie shit for killing off the engineers, but Lindelof so clearly had no fucking idea what he was doing. He makes things up in an effort to titilate the viewers with intriguing narrative threads. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The Engineers were a lost cause since their introduction in Prometheus.
>>
>>82634498
I'm okay with it because he's just an upgrade of the David model and not an entirely new android.
>>
>>82637160
You might interested by a short story from Asimov, or van Vogt, i don't remember, where a character explains that an alien virus or biohazard is very very unlikely, because the way of our virus are deeply adapted to our metabolism ( and alien virus ofc would be not)
>>
What happens to the engineers? how is David able to enter their planet and not be stopped by Engineer Military? why are all the engineers running below his ship?
>>
>>82637520

It even mimics the original alien trailer at the end.
>>
>>82637642
i understand that, an alien virus trying to interact with out bodies would be like trying to insert a floppy disk into a usb port or something.

but not all biological threats require compatible biologys, for example some things merely require the presence of protein. any simple, non overspecialized system would work.
>>
>>82637463
Mostly because of David. I loved the performance, for one, but I also really liked the concepts of the creation surpassing the creator and David having an almost Oedipal complex for humanity. It was made better because he seemed to be completely ignorant of the irony that just as he was created by beings inferior to him, he is now creating his own beings to which he himself is inferior.
I loved his workshop, and his twisted, artificial understanding of the notion of love. I really believed him when he said that he loved Shaw, but his comprehension of the subject seemed to be limited to anyone who would show him any sort of compassion or empathy. The story he told of Shaw treating him nicely and how much he appreciated that in comparison to how he'd been treated by the others was evidence of this, as well as his kisses with Walter and Daniels, the only two crewmembers of the Covenant who had shown him any decency.

I really enjoyed him teaching Walter how to play the flute, despite my audience laughing at the use of the word "fingering", and thought that the scene was excellent - it also helped that it was technically wonderful from a filmmaking standpoint.
And his scene where he absolutely loses his shit after the religious dude shoots the white alien thing was fucking incredible. That rage and shock all over his face when he has taken away from him something else that might, just might trust him or care for him was amazing.

I know that we as audience members might expect a film like this to more embrace the extraterrestrial when it comes to the science-fiction presented in the movie, but the artificial intelligence is what wowed me. Was really, really clever and really, really well done.
>>
>>82637660
When he arrives, the engineers witness their ship's return and gather to watch it land, all happy and excited. He then murders everyone in the city with the swarmy gooey black stuff.
>>
>>82637710
You're right here, yeah
>>
>>82637605
they were in the very first movie. an engineer was transporting eggs. its mentioned in books. engineers see it like a sort of spiritual thing, terraforming planets and genetic manipulation. it's also implied that jockey was transporting them to be used as weapon implying some great galactic war going on some time in the past with only a handful still lying around in their super resilient ancient technology that's kept them in stasis for tens of thousands of years.

but god fucking damn it i was promised engineers but i feel like i got punched in the balls.
>>
>>82637736
>implying theres any event everyone would show up to.

i bet there were loads of NEET prometheans sleeping in the day that missed out on it and survived.
>>
So the Deacon from Prometheus is probably never going to be seen again?
>>
>>82637814
I haven't read any of the books (or played any of the games, or read the comics, or whatever, just seen the films) but even in the first film its implied that the xenomorphs are biological weapons that are designed to be transported and dropped on enemy populations.
>>
>>82637814
Doesn't sound like Damon Lindelof or Ridley Scott read those books.
>>
>>82637879
> in the first film its implied that the xenomorphs are biological weapons that are designed to be transported and dropped on enemy populations

When and where?
>>
So all David did was trying to create the perfect organism? thats all?

within the 10 years of studying the engineers he discovered something. Hope it is revealed in the next film.
>>
>>82637712
robots=niggers
aliens=niggers
you can never trust a robot
you can never trust a nigger
>niggers coming to your town
>nigger faggot rapists even
>they will betray you and make you regret tolerating them
>robots are useful machines for performing work
>niggers are useful machines for performing work
>niggers ultimately result in the collapse of your society
>evil hellbeast genetics
>robot
>alien

its like you havnt even read any scifi before.
>>
>>82637914
Ash, right? I mean I haven't watched it in a while but that was the understanding that I got from it all.
The eggs are in the cargo hold of the ship and are obviously being transported, that much isn't really debatable.
And then later, Ash refers to the xenomorph as the perfect biological weapon, or something to that effect.

So there's enough information there for us to infer that he was transporting weapons somewhere when something went wrong and he was killed. He has his mask on when he dies, though, so you can probably also deduce that he put his gear back on and deliberately crashed the ship onto a deserted planet, too.

Honestly while watching Prometheus when he gets into the chair and the ship takes off at the end I thought we were looking at the perfect setup for the first Alien film. All seemed like it was leading that way.
>>
File: v85HI9l[1].png (256KB, 423x751px) Image search: [Google]
v85HI9l[1].png
256KB, 423x751px
>>82637822
i chuckled

someone do an engineer edit of this pls
>>
why does the goo fly around like their nanomachines? shouldnt it just rain down like water and be inert? or spread out like a gas if its aerosolized
>>
>>82638123
The ones that are released from the pods and fly into ears and nostrils are bugs.
>>
You know, all things considered, this was a pretty decent thread.
>>
>>82638166
I haven't seen the movie yet, but your saying that the black goo comes from bugs?
>>
>>82638195
who else was here from the beginning and stayed to this end? i'm literally the 2nd post.
>>
>>82638228
There isn't any goo in this film. There's the swarmy flying black stuff, and that's revealed to be swarms of bugs.
>>
>>82638249
Well, I'm op. But the thread is over 300 with only 50 posters.
>>
>>82638264
But does the goo come from the bugs? Or is the goo something else completely?

If I understand this right, the goo came from bugs, which was being utilized as a biological weapon against lesser beings or rather, being planned to be used in that manner. Then, David decided to kill all of the engineers, create the first alien using Shaw, and that's it?
>>
>>82638264
I mean... Technically true but disingenuous. The black goo came from the pods, David bombed the city with those pods. But instead of goo, black mist came out of them and attacked people. This implies black good = bugs.
>>
>>82638036
If I remember correctly ash just calls it the perfect organism. The eggs don't really look like they're stored for transportation or anything. Yeah they're in the big hall area but they're just sitting on the floor there.

I always got the feeling that whatever happened on the ship of the space jockey was something similar to what happened on the Nostromo. An alien got in somehow and trashed everything.
>>
>>82638036
>Honestly while watching Prometheus when he gets into the chair and the ship takes off at the end I thought we were looking at the perfect setup for the first Alien film. All seemed like it was leading that way.

I thought this too. It was framed perfectly and I was pretty excited to see him crash land. Now we won't see the actual crash for 10 years probably.
>>
>>82638331
Nah the goo is never even mentioned again, I don't think. Except for its brief appearance in the workshop where it just sits on a shelf.
You have the pods which are native to the new planet, and when they're disrupted they release the bugs into the air, which infect people by going into their noses and ears. Then the white aliens burst from their backs.
David arrives and kills all of the engineers with the bugs (which I guess is a bit of a plot-hole because how would he get them before ever landing on the planet? Maybe they were on the ship), experiments for ten years with Shaw, the black goo, the egg things from Prometheus, and the bugs, and eventually the result is the xenomorph eggs, which he experiments a bit more with because there are facehuggers in jars in thr workshop, but he is unable to test them until the humans arrive. When they do, he lures one down to the eggs.
>>
>>82638344
Oh I guess. I hadn't thought of that, I wasn't trying to be disingenuous. I wasn't sure what the relation between the swarm and the goo was.
>>
>>82638473
>>82638473
Does he create them using Shaw? I really want to know what happens to her.
>>
>>82638381
I mean they're arranged in neat rows under the floor. Seems obvious to me.
I dunno it was always just the impression I got. Transporting the weapons somewhere, something went wrong, jockey manages to send out a warning for people to stay away and then dies.
>>
>>82638528
All we see in the film is her body cut open and tools lying next to her.
It appears that he was just checking her out, making sure he was engineering his creations to exit her at the right point, seeing exactly how she ticked, etc.
Other anons are saying that he literally grew the eggs in her and shit but there's nothing to support that in the film. Maybe there was at one point and it was cut, dunno.

Like I said, what we see is just her body cut open in the workshop with all of the other stuff like he was studying her.
>>
>>82638669
10 years and her body wasn't decayed. How
>>
>>82638770
Ha, good point. Dunno. Reasons?
>>
Watched Covenant earlier tonight and currently watching Blade Runner while finishing an essay (delinquents have it rough).
In Covenant, there's the scene with David kissing Walter.
Blade Runner; Roy kisses Tyrell.

When David fights Daniels and Daniels hits him with some sort of bar (I think it was?), he says "That's the spirit".
I'm up to the final fight of Blade Runner and when Deckard hits Roy with a pipe, he replies "That's the spirit".
>>
>>82639144
pottery
>>
>>82634864
>6th movie in a franchise
>You know what's going to happen
You can only mitigate so much, anon.
Thread posts: 330
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.