[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Earserhead Interpretations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: eraserhead_hair.jpg (212KB, 1600x700px) Image search: [Google]
eraserhead_hair.jpg
212KB, 1600x700px
So according to Lynch himself the popular interpretation of Eraserhead does not match with his. I just watched the film for the first time. Although there is surely a lot that went completely over my head my overall impression is that the film was about abortion. A few of the reasons I came to this opinion are...

1. Firstly and most obviously, the child is fetus-like and premature (I've read speculation that Lynch used an animal fetus when shooting).

2. The woman in the radiator sings a song about how heaven isn't so bad (or something like that) and steps on a bunch of sperm-like creatures. She represents a careless woman who has had many abortions without a second thought.

3. In the final few scenes Henry embraces the radiator woman after killing (aborting) his child.

4. I know this one is really is quite a stretch but this is what occurred to me during the "pencil scene". Most abortions happen at around 6 or 7 weeks and during this time the fetus is about the size of the eraser head of a pencil.

I guess what I want to know is if you guys agree with my interpretation or if not what did you make of the film?
>>
>>82617556
bump
>>
>>82617556
My interpretation was that Lynch was scared of fatherhood, and it might just be a self reflection of his life before he made this movie.
>>
I believe the film may have influence relating to Jesus/Anti-Christ or some similar type story.

-His baby was apparently the work of a higher power
-His wife is named Mary
-Lynch claims this is his most spiritual film
This is just scratching the surface, but there is probably more things to consider. Worth thinking about, at least.
>>
File: IMG_0802.jpg (33KB, 284x423px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0802.jpg
33KB, 284x423px
>>82617556
Ulysses + black & white student film...
>>
>>82617556
it gave me a "The Colour Out of Space" in which the ayyliums are poisoning the earth
ironically there is ayyliums in this movie albeit a bit too clichee

eraserhead is both a comedy (black) and sci-fi
>>
>>82618383
This is what I have always gotten out of it and I have seen it multiple times.
>>
>>82617556
No idea what it's about but it's probably the most unsettling movie I've ever watched. Every single scene is depressing and drab.
>>
>>82618480
Are you saying the film was influenced by Joyce? I've read Dubliners and want to move on to Portrait and eventually Ulysses but from what little I know about the book I can't see the connection.
>>
>>82619252
Yeah this might be the only movie that made me feel physically I'll. Especially the scene when it suddenly cuts to the baby wheezing and covered with postules. The dinner scene was like fingernails on a chalkboard.
>>
>>82618395
I did read a quote from Lynch about how the movie suddenly really came together for him as a concept when he read a Bible verse so that definitely makes sense.
>>
>>82619333
The climax with the scissors and the baby is absolutely off the hook insanity. Only seen the movie once years ago and I still remember it vividly. Suddenly starts getting massive with that awful noise. I want to rewatch it, but with someone that hasn't seen it.
>>
I actually think it's about artists and how they often have to 'kill' their own 'babies' or lose control of them. The man in the planet being the creative process, the woman in the radiator being a surreal take on a muse, etc. The literal eraserhead scene in the movie being a metaphor for being put into a box, from creative to conformative.

The baby is just a work that won't come into focus, that isn't taking shape, thus why it's deformed and sickly rather than ideal. Like if they had writer's block.

Lynch was a young man at the time so maybe adulthood and fatherhood factored into it. But really at the time he was a struggling aspiring artist and film maker.
>>
My interpretations is pretty simple, it's about fear and anxiety.

The movie constantly gives the audience that feeling, and the main character is always feeling that too.

He feels the anxiety of going to dinner with the woman, same with just eating chicken in front of others.

It's been like a year or two since Inwatched it so I don't remember much, but I would also say he has a fear of sex and women in general. The baby is a manifestation of all his fears.
>>
Its a city full of inbreds so everyone is autistic
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.