[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BLADE RUNNER (1982)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 22

File: v66.jpg (427KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
v66.jpg
427KB, 2000x2000px
Just rewatched Blade Runner (final cut) because of the sequel trailer.

>What was the meaning behind Roy Batty first maiming Deckard's right hand and then maiming his own?
>The ending HEAVILY implies Deckard realises he is a replicant and decides to live out his 3-4 years left with Rachel. When do you think Deckard's fake memories stopped and his real life began? Was he even ever a real police officer?
>How come Deckard never had backup and always had to go into intensely dangerous situations on his own?

And of course:
>What is your opinion on the film?
>>
>>82577909
There is no implication that he is a replicant. That shit is retarded. Watch the film again dumbass.
>>
File: 1473655484013.jpg (69KB, 547x550px) Image search: [Google]
1473655484013.jpg
69KB, 547x550px
1>maiming of deckards hands was probably just so he would have trouble shooting him
>and i think roy maimed his own hand to try and survive just a bit longer so he could finish the fight with deckard (causing his body physical trauma to give him a burst of adrenaline to keep going)

2>i really dont know

3>less people working on it so its cheaper and easier to conceal
>also deckard was probably the best and didnt need no help

4>Its my personal favorite film of all time
and i actually have high hopes for the sequel
>>
>>82579520
did you even watch it?
>>
>>82579520
>>82577909
Yeah, the only part that is grey is the unicorn dream, of which there are many explanations for.
The entire point of the movie is man vs machine.
>>
>>82579520

In the Final cut there are multiple implications, such as Rachel asking Deckard if hes ever taken the Voight Kampff test and him refusing to answer.

The most damning of which though is the origami unicon, showing that Deckard's dreams are not his own.

and the director stated in his opinion he thinks Deckard is a replicant.
>>
Never seen blade runner /tv/. I always see threads for the sequel/or people shilling for the original. Which version do i watch to maximize my viewing pleasure?
>>
>Roy and Pris both hitting on insecure lonely Sebastian
>Sebastian: pls n-n-no I'm straight
>Roy: don't lie u kno u want a 3sum
>Roy kills Sebastian
>Roy: hahaha i troll u i'm str8
>>
>>82579636
Final Cut, 100%. There is no element of personal preference, the Final Cut is simply superior.
>>
>>82579598
the entire point of the movie is that humans and replicants are basically the same
>>
>>82579685
thanks
>>
One thing I never understood about Deckard being a replicant, is why did he have his own apartment with stuff in it?

Would they really go out of their way to provide a disposable machine with that?
>>
>>82579688
Not exactly, but is that not what I said?
>>
>>82579714
>why would they make a purposely weak replicant
And so on.
The point is that he could be a replicant, not that he is one.
>>
>>82579714

It might not be his apartment.
They could have given him implanted memories of having lived in the apartment - Deckard might have only come off the assembly line 10 minutes before the film opens.

Also if you remember, when JF Sebastian shows Triss his apartment, he explains that he is the only person living in the entire building because everyone else has moved to the offworld colonies - it seems like there is plenty of abandoned/available realestate in the film that would be cheap to rent.
>>
>>82579527
>and i think roy maimed his own hand to try and survive just a bit longer so he could finish the fight with deckard (causing his body physical trauma to give him a burst of adrenaline to keep going)

I think you're spot-on. Also, wasn't his body starting seize up/cramp? I can't remember where else I've seen that used, but I distinctly remember seeing another film where a character did something very similar to restore mobility to their hand.
>>
File: 1470257163587.jpg (164KB, 543x549px) Image search: [Google]
1470257163587.jpg
164KB, 543x549px
>>82579810
Or perhaps he was based off a real person who was dead, maybe Deckard got his memories and his apartment
>>
>>82579834

Yes. He says "not now, not now" and his hand starts to clench. He first tries to pull it open, then bites his hand, then pushes a nail through it
>>
>>82577909
there's a theory out there that Deckard is a replicant implanted with Graff's memories.

Further reading if you're interested: http://www.gavinrothery.com/my-blog/2011/10/1/a-matter-of-electric-sheep.html
>>
File: blade_runner_3.jpg (193KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
blade_runner_3.jpg
193KB, 1920x1080px
>>82579939
wow thanks for this
thats genuinely compelling

i was expecting a shitty /x/-tier conspiracy theory but that really makes a lot of sense
>>
>Daryl Hannah playing troubled runaway with weird habits who is persecuted for being abnormal
>irl she was almost sent to the loony bin to be electroshocked out of her autism and ran away from home to be a star

funny how life imitates art
>>
File: Blade Runner.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Blade Runner.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>82580029
yea I think it's pretty neat, glad you liked it
>>
>>82580087
Sean Young is crazier than her
>>
>>82580142

>Sean Young hated Harrison Ford so much the one sex scene between her and Harrison Ford looks like he's forcing himself on her
>>
>>
>>82580142

Daryl Hannah is autistic, not crazy.
>>
File: 1412886478826.jpg (48KB, 511x511px) Image search: [Google]
1412886478826.jpg
48KB, 511x511px
>Although Philip K. Dick saw only the opening 20 minutes of footage prior to his death on March 2, 1982, he was extremely impressed, and has been quoted by Paul Sammon as saying, "It was my own interior world. They caught it perfectly."

Damn.
>>
>>82579688

Skin-Jobs don't have souls, and their memories are fake. They are just machines, designed to appear human. They are a poor copy.
>>
File: Unicorns.jpg (314KB, 1920x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Unicorns.jpg
314KB, 1920x1600px
>>82579939
>>82580029
>>
>>82577909
Deckard isn't a replicant.

He realized that replicants have feelings just like people.
>>
>>82580319
they have emotions and are sentient
>>
>>82580176
That scene made me very uncomfortable. Its basially sexual assault until she kisses him back.

>>82580319
They arent quite machines though. Theyre just artificially grown from designed DNA - theyre fully organic.
>>
>>82577909
Sequel destroys the theory that Deckard is a replicant
>>
File: 1492624771555.jpg (26KB, 332x351px) Image search: [Google]
1492624771555.jpg
26KB, 332x351px
>>82580400

>post yfw in the new film its revealed 'Deckard' is just a standard model of Replicant used for hunting other Replicants they massproduce and the 'Deckard' in 2049 is completely different to the one in OG blade runner and is just a malfunctioning unit without an expiry date
>>
>>82580319
They're just genetically engineered humans, not robots or cyborgs or westworld-ish computer brains in artificial skin. They're just human DNA fucked around with and grown in a big ass test tube. They're as capable of emotion as regular humans which is why they have an artificial 4 year lifespan built in to prevent the development of complex emotions so the moral grey area of using them as slaves can be satisfied.
>>
>>82579939
Thats a great theory anon
>>
File: tyrell.jpg (120KB, 600x522px) Image search: [Google]
tyrell.jpg
120KB, 600x522px
Some lore on the difference between Tyrell's Replicants and Weyland/Yutani's Androids.
>>
>>82579939

this explains everything
even why Deckard never had any backup - he was a disposable tool being fieldtested
>>
>>82580681
Replicants are basically vat grown humans, fully biological and shit. That why psychologicalvtestvis needed to determine wether one is a replicant instead of blood sample
And androids are robots, fully synthetic with computers in their heads
>>
>>82580438
I have a feeling that both he and Sean Young's characters were just "built" without a limited lifespan. All that shit was artificially introduced to begin with is my bet.

Also, they didn't appear to be "amped up" in any way. If the candle that burns twice as bright burns half as long, how about the candle with normal brightness?
>>
>>82580142

Blade Runner is the most autistic movie of all time, I mean that in a good way. The replicants represent what it really feels like to be autistic.
>>
File: 141082935444030.png (262KB, 446x456px) Image search: [Google]
141082935444030.png
262KB, 446x456px
If I had to guess the first thing is about the parallel between human and replicant, they're both practically the same and all that so he mirrors the damage he did unto himself. See also: his final speech, about all his memories and experiences etc.
I honestly don't care how many times some retard insists that Deckard is a replicant, all you have to do is check the imdb page to see that Ford and Hauer, Ford in particular, was pissed off that Scott wanted to change it to Deckard being a replicant. Hauer supported Ford in the matter and in the end Scott conceded and they went with the original plan i.e. Deckard is not a replicant. However later on Scott went "fuck that" and changed it. There, case closed on that piece of shit """discussion"""
I don't remember how it is exactly in the film with the replicant cops or hunters or whatever they're called, but in the book they were bounty hunters, so more money if you go by yourself but also more dangerous. I'd guess Deckard was sent off on his own because he was the best and the replicants were also the best, sending more on the hunt with Deckard would just have ended in those hunters dying. Deckard almost died in the end too you know, how would someone who was worse than him going to do.
Classic film, it's a thing of its own.
>>
>>82580972
Replicants are highly intelligent children who can't control their emotions
>>
File: cmy.jpg (54KB, 750x950px) Image search: [Google]
cmy.jpg
54KB, 750x950px
>>82577909
>Roy Batty first maiming Deckard's right hand and then maiming his own?
hes pilate & then jesus
>>
>>82581158

More human than human
>>
>>82579636
No one shills for the original theatrical cut of Blade Runner. The Final Cut is the best version of the movie.
>>
>>82577909
>>The ending HEAVILY implies Deckard realises he is a replicant
fucking Ridleyfags need to be retired like that old, demented Alzheimer fuck himself.
God, I hope Ridley Scott eats shit and dies this year. At least Tony Scott made good movies till the end before he kicked the bucked and didn't ruin his legacy like his senile, brainrotten brother has.
>>
going to spoil the sequel ok
the entire movie pretends that this movie takes place decades after the first when in reality it takes place 2-5 years after the original. new protag and decker are both replicants
>>
>>
>>
>>82580438
Mark my words, screencap this, whatever you want.

We will find out that Old Deckard was built, like, within 2 years prior of the sequel taking place. We will be introduced to the original model of Deckard (Harrison Ford CGI) as well.

Why would Replicants age?? They are built with lifespans so short that it makes no sense for them to. Yet the final cut heavily implies that Deckard was one. K probably "finds" some conspiracy that was planted and sent on a wild goose chase to find Old Deckard who is also a replicant.

At the end, he finds out that he was being rused all along to see how impressive his new model is at being a detective.
>>
>>
>>82581872
>Symbolic Dove flies away free
>Deckard's blinks eyes closed for unusually long time as if breaking through some mental barrier artificially implanted within him
>Replicant Deckard became a Human Deckard through emotional evolution
>>
>>82579520
It'd be so fucking boring if he was a replicant, too
>>
>>82581854
> Why would Replicants age?? They are built with lifespans so short that it makes no sense for them to.

They are built from Organic material, if they didn't have a built-in expiry date they would presumably age just like natural organic lifeforms.
>>
>>82582060
True, but certain things are made from scratch like eyes. I feel that, although made from organic material, the aging process is much different. If anything, if they were to age, the skin would decompose and rot over time.

I'm also not a replicant scientist, so you may be right. I just have a hunch that we are going to see Blade Runner 1's Deckard in some sort of fashion. Also, K is a fucking replicant for sure. He crashes through a wall in the trailer.

I'm sure he's seeking out Deckard as he knows he is one and needs advice on being a replicant cop.
>>
Deckard was actually the thing.
>>
God damn this movie is so beautifuly shot.

Even if everything else in the film was shit, it would still be worth watching just for the visuals.

The new one will suck balls, I'm sure of it. It will get the Ghost In The Shell treatment. It wont have the time to dwell on the questions the original posed.

The plot outline is probably something like gossling being this super cop who's great at killing replicants in a corporate authorian society, shit happens that makes him question some stuff, (kills someone he thought was human or had a hard on for) Goes to seek answers, seek decard, find decard and talk long enough to learn the truth about him being a replicant untill bad corp finds them and kill decard, then gossling gets away, goes back and bring the corporation down with the help of all the replicants he freed from the factory.

I will be suprised if it's anything far outside of those lines happen.
>>
>>82584352
>Even if everything else in the film was shit, it would still be worth watching just for the visuals.

Dude
>>
File: 1485492954124.gif (1MB, 217x217px) Image search: [Google]
1485492954124.gif
1MB, 217x217px
>>82584532
that one took me a while
>>
testing spoiler tags cause they won't work on (((certain boards))); sage'd doe
>>
>>82584583
DUDE LMAO
>>
Deckard isn't a replicant if the new movie takes place 30 years after the first.
>>
>>82580211
The entirety of Ridley Scott's "Legend" is one of Deckard's dreams.
>>
Fuck, I'll bite.

Batty impales his hand not as a symbol, but because he is dying and his hand is literally cramping up. Impaling it would keep the muscles a little looser for a little while longer. Batty KNOWS he's dying, not soon, but that day, that HOUR, because he can feel it.

I never bought Deckard-as-replicant. The text doesn't support it. Every one of the replicants clobbers him in hand-to-hand combat, even Pris (your basic pleasure model). If he were a replicant, he'd be tougher. If he were a replicant designed to retire replicants, he'd be a LOT tougher.
>>
deckard is confirmed not a replicant because he's obviously alive thirty years later. the moment the first teaser came out this argument should have ended
>>
>>82579939

Is this really a theory? I thought the Final Cut solidified this.
>>
>>82579520
>>82577909
The implication is what makes the film so good. In the beginning of the film Deckard doesn't appreciate life and see's replicants as machines. He is immediately distant to rachel because he sees here as something artificial. Once he gets over this he sees that all life is precious and maybe it doesn't matter about one's origins and to live is a blessing in itself.

At the end of the film he gets the origami unicorn, which coincides with his own dream about the unicorn when he just told rachel she was a replicant.

The implication that he may or may not be a human is what gave the film weight, because you were allowed to understand the point of the film, and deckard actually had an arc.

Now that you see Deckard as an old man in the new film, it's a cop out, destroying the integrity of the first film and completely missing the point.

Whether or not he is a replicant is inconsequential, the question of whether he is or not is pointless. Because at the end of the film he doubts this himself but decides that no matter who you are man made or not, it's better to live in the moment with the one you love.

Fuck the sequel, ridley scott is senile.
>>
>>82586674
No, because replicants are several times stronger than humans, if he wasn't a replicant he would've died instantly in hand to hand combat.
>>
>>82580299

I miss PKD.

Flow My Tears, Three Stigmata, or Ubik adaptation when? I need more and not bullshit like Man in the High Castle where they just steal the setup and abandon the story completely.
>>
>>82579520
The unicorn dream and Gaff's origami.
>>
>>82577909
>Was he even ever a real police officer?

That other guy was the real Deckard and gave him his memories. Thats why he knew of the unicorn dreams and hence the "you done a mans job sir" line.

Deckard was probably born shortly before the movie began.
>>
>>82579834
buddy does it in naruto...
>>
>>82579882
Per the final cut it is suggested that Deckard is a replicant with the memories of Gaff.

They may just have the apartment and car ready for whenever they need a bladerunner created and they use it until they die chasing a replicant.

Problem is now they have to explain old Deckard.

Is he the original human Deckard (the unicorn is something else) or do the bladerunner replicants have extended life spans? This would seem to be a liability as it would allow for the bladerunner replicants to have plenty of time to discover what they are.

Or is Deckard the first unicorn bladerunner replicant and the lifespan is a glitch?
>>
>>82586790
Who said replicants don't age? They're just custom made genetically engineered humans. A normal replicant is made to die in 4 years as a safety mechanism. If this mechanism broke or wasn't include for special version Replicants, they'd still be subject to aging like normal people.
>>
File: IMG_2846.jpg (36KB, 461x373px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2846.jpg
36KB, 461x373px
>>82580791
>Replicants are basically vat grown humans, fully biological and shit.
>mfw the news has been talking about artificial wombs and how they've gotten so good that a lamb was carried to term in one of them
>mfw we're that closer to living in a future like blade runner
>>
>>82587370
one of the main plot points of the movie was that all replicants died after 4 years, and tyrell corp had no idea how to extend that. that's why roy killed tyrell
>>
>>82587357
My theory
>>82582009
Deckard transcended his programming or some such dramatic philosophical explanation wherein he had some emotional awakening after "tears in the rain" scene that caused him to glitch to break his self-destruct mechanism. The new movie will be how many many new generation replicants are doing the same thing, as if some spontaneous psychological evolution is happening despite them being genetically engineered and mind programmed beings.
>>
>>82587481
One of the main plot points was that the replicants had an Artificial 4 year life span built into them because roughly after 4 years they start to develop emotions and that test they give to test emotions and tell the difference between human and replicant would no longer work. They died after 4 years because they were made to otherwise they become indistinguishable from humans. Tyrell claimed he couldn't override it which could or couldn't be true. Just because a character says something doesn't mean in the role of the movie, he wasn't lying, or incorrect, misinformed, being shady, etc.
>>
File: Living In Fear.gif (495KB, 500x223px) Image search: [Google]
Living In Fear.gif
495KB, 500x223px
>>82577909
1. Deckard gets a finger broken for each replicant Roy thinks he killed. Then Roy maims himself for the adrenaline since he's the oldest one and his body is dying. The first shot of Roy is his contorted hand in a phone booth (Final Cut).

2. I've always thought Deckard was a human, but the whole point was to cast doubt on that and change his perception from a philosophical stand-point.

3. No back-up because Bladerunners are a black-ops situation.
>>
>>82587481
It wasn't that they didn't know how to extend it past 4 years, Tyrell corp set the lifespan to 4 years so that the replicants could remain under their control (and would not develop their own humanity).
>>
>>82580319
>>/pol/
>>
>>82580681
Where is this from?
>>
Tyrell is Apple. Replicants are iPhones.

Planned Obsolescence is not only necessary as after 4 years your iPhone will likely explode and kill you but keeps you upgrading and bringing in the bucks.
>>
>>82582057
this, its honestly so heavily implied in the final cut that it would be even more of a surprise if he wasn't a replicant honestly, it would've been so fucking lame for him to be a replicant with the way they told the story and it wouldn't be anywhere near as good as it is held up to be today because he made the right move and made it open to interpretation.
>>
>>82579520
I feel sorry for you anon. It must be hard to live and be this huge retard. Even going out grocerie shopping has to be really hard.
>>
File: pkd.jpg (94KB, 725x936px) Image search: [Google]
pkd.jpg
94KB, 725x936px
>>82580299
>>82586967
theres a copy of a letter he wrote to the production company about the movie
>>
>>82586887
I enjoyed this, thanks. well put.
>>
File: cua.png (1MB, 667x782px) Image search: [Google]
cua.png
1MB, 667x782px
>>82586887
i really wish they just left blade runner alone
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.