[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend me a film that is Kafkaesque. No adaptations of his

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
Recommend me a film that is Kafkaesque. No adaptations of his work.

Also, correctly define what Kafkaesque actually means. Good luck.
>>
I don't owe you shit, retard.
>>
>>82551211
Werckmeister Harmonies
>>
>>82551211
Please, no meat touching ma'am.
>>
>>82551237
*snickers annoyingly*
>>
>>82551211

Any Lynch film is by extension Kafkaesque
>>
File: p20005_p_v8_aa.jpg (279KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
p20005_p_v8_aa.jpg
279KB, 960x1440px
>>82551211
>>
I've never read any of his books but I looked at the synopsis of one and it seems like conspiracy theory with mel gibson might fit
>>
Basically a total ripoff tbqh
>>
It means you should see if you can fit both a thesaurus and a dictionary up your ass you pedagogue fuck boi
>>
Brazil

/thread
>>
File: Inherent_Vice_film_poster.jpg (39KB, 270x400px) Image search: [Google]
Inherent_Vice_film_poster.jpg
39KB, 270x400px
>>
>>
>>82551332

This, you sanctimonious pillock
>>
>>82551262
Ein Hungerkünstler is one of the greatest short stories ever written.
>>
>>82551351

Brazil is not that Kafkaesque, it has a few kafkaesque elements though. Kafka is not just about the horrors of bureaucracy. That's more Orwellian than Kafkaesque imo
>>
>>82551257

can you explain?
i feel like this makes perfect sense but i don't know how to word it.
>>
>>82551426
>Kafka is not just about the horrors of bureaucracy.
Its the absurdity of bureaucracy, not necessarily the horror.
>>
Not me. Not never.

Ain't happenin'.
>>
>>82551358
>inherent vice
>infinite jest
>quantum of solace

any more pretentious titles lads?
>>
>>82551426
Brazil is also hamfisted as fuck. But this board considers Lovecraftian to be grotesquerie

The Man Who Wasn't There is sort of reminds me of Kafka
>>
File: syn.jpg (89KB, 860x530px) Image search: [Google]
syn.jpg
89KB, 860x530px
>>82551539
almost forgot the GOAT
>>
>>82551260
This.

I don't know the true definition of the adjective, but to me is being fuck over by powers well beyond your comprehension in the most senseless and faceless manner possible.
>>
>>82551480
It isn't really. Lynch and Kafka are very different. Lynch uses disconcerting themes and imagery as elements of the story. Not necessarily a narrative but definitely a story. Kafka writes a story to convey feeling, such as helplessness, obviously most are influenced by dreams where raw and disjointed emotions are felt vividly.

So Kafka's goal is to represent these emotions. Lynch doesn't really have a goal and it's apparent by watching any interview of his, dreams influence his imagery and themes but he is not trying by to tell a tale of them, he simply weaves them into the rest of the story
>>
File: IMG_6137.png (86KB, 682x511px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6137.png
86KB, 682x511px
>>82551211
Normal Stories...
>>
>>82551211
You belong in a prison camp for this dreadful post
>>
File: IMG_6136.jpg (20KB, 761x570px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6136.jpg
20KB, 761x570px
>>82551976
...Kafka's stories.
>>
>>82551566
Good example.

Also I'd add The Thin Red Line
>>
File: brazil-1985-002-poster-00n-6si.jpg (221KB, 1200x893px) Image search: [Google]
brazil-1985-002-poster-00n-6si.jpg
221KB, 1200x893px
>>
>>82551976
>>82552000
isn't there a whole bunch of these for all different directors?
>>
>>82552063
Dunno but it's from Kurt Vonnegut's Man Without a Country
>>
>>82551976
>>82552000
ugh in my literature class sooo many people had never read Ulysses by James Joyce. I couldn't believe it. It was an absolute disgrace. Some girl even said her favorite book was Harry Potter! Ugh... Only me and a German girl had ever hears of Kafka... My jaw dropped!
>>
>>82552105
you ok?
>>
>>82552105
Thats awesome.
When are they going to sow a penis on you dear?
>>
>>82551480

Well, for one, I'd argue the worlds Lynch's characters inhabit are symbolic presentations of their own unconscious, specifically, (mostly) presented in the purely subjective point of view of one single character. As in The Metamorphosis, The Trial or The Castle, it is extremely important to notice that the protagonist is constantly fluctuating between what appears as the real world and a dream logic. Their primal sexual urges and fears always manifest themselves in the real world, and everything seems to revolve around them. In The Trial, how women react around K., it seems as though every single woman around him wants to have sex with him almost instantly upon meeting him, or at least show a strong sexual attraction, they enact K.'s own desires accordingly, as if to compensate for his own sexual frustration. Compare this to, say, the voyeuristic fantastical relationship between Jeffrey and Dorothy Vallens in Blue Velvet. Another explicit example of the unconscious slipping into the conscious is the surreal scene in Mulholland Dr. with the two guys at Winkie's, talking about the nightmare this guy has, and then the same scene going down exactly as he dreamt it irl. Hell, there's even that famous "gatekeeper" character you always hear about in every Lynch film to literally represent the transition between states of consciousness.
>>
>>82552136
Ugh
>>
File: IMG_6138.jpg (76KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6138.jpg
76KB, 640x480px
>>82552136
>>
>>82551211
Eraserhead
>>
>>82552105
Whenever I start Ulysses again I feel as if I'm doing Joyce a favour -- and then I realize I'm not his friend, and hurl the book at something. Hard.
It's got a quality binding, I'll give it that.
>>
Rat race
>>
>>82551910

>So Kafka's goal is to represent these emotions. Lynch doesn't really have a goal and it's apparent by watching any interview of his

true but to me it seems as though he's accomplishing just that, whether he's aware of what he's actually doing or not is irrelevant. Even so, I don't really believe that he's not aware of what he's doing, it seems to me that both Kafka and Lynch are huge fans of freudian psychology. Lynch also said Kafka is his favorite writer and he even wrote a script for a Metamorphosis adaptation.
>>
>>82552386
It's basically the difference between modernism and postmodernism. Like it or not, but Lynch is the epitome of postmodernism.

It's almost like the difference between pre-industrial artisans and the arts and crafts movement, to make a blunt comparison.
>>
>>82552577

I thought the whole point of postmodernism is that you can't not be self conscious
>>
>>82552675
Yes. But also that symbolism is irrelevant or ironic and meaning is impossible to convey. Lynch's symbolism "doesn't mean anything in particular", not meaning that it can't emotionally click or seem like it means something, or even actually mean something and he wants it to be interpretative. Kafka is considerably more clear about his themes, and the imagery is a dreamlike presentation of underlying emotional tension. They're open to interpretation, to an extent, but obviously are attempting to capture a particular state of mind and sense of reality
>>
File: Kafka (1991, Steven Soderbergh).jpg (80KB, 680x372px) Image search: [Google]
Kafka (1991, Steven Soderbergh).jpg
80KB, 680x372px
>>82551211
>>
>>82551211
A Serious Man

you only get a good answer cause you got dubs
>>
>>82551211
Only truly Kafkaesque film I've ever seen is Die Parallelstraße
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.