[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did TNG not feature that much exploration? The Enterprise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 1493250650043.jpg (296KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1493250650043.jpg
296KB, 1920x1080px
Why did TNG not feature that much exploration? The Enterprise mostly acted as Alpha Quadrant police patrol. Occasionally it would go into unexplored space, but the next week it would return to the Neutral Zone or something. IIRC it was never mentioned that the D was supposed to be in a long-term exploration mission like the Five Year Mission, outside of the intro.

Did anybody, like Berman or some other creative personnel, ever talk about why it was like that? Was it an intentional move to set it apart from TOS, or did things just work out that way?
>>
>seek out new life and new civilizations
>prime directive

this is what happens when you don't hire a continuity editor
>>
>>82536489
space is 3 dimensional
>>
>>82536787
They're looking to expand their horizons, not to play god with less advanced races.
>>
>>82536922
And that's why Kirk is superior to Picard.
>>
>>82536489
I guess because there seems to be this idea that visiting a new planet every week doesn't provide enough to Serious Dramaâ„¢ so they add in all this peacekeeper stuff.

Can't wait for Sexually Transmitted: Disease to (probably) focus it's entire first season on some grimdark spehs war bullshit rather than exploration.

I just want comfy weekly space exploration tv, is that so much to ask?
>>
File: 1492574237433.png (2MB, 1024x1528px) Image search: [Google]
1492574237433.png
2MB, 1024x1528px
>>82537151
>>82537151
>I just want comfy weekly space exploration tv, is that so much to ask?

I've been hungering for that too. Someone needs to pitch a cheap, non-serialized space adventure series? Investigation/police procedurals are a dime a dozen but we can't get a single sci-fi series? I mean, I enjoy Dark Matter, Killjoys and The Expanse as much as the next guy, but they're all telling long stories. There's a alien-of-the-week void in my heart that needs to be filled, and Discovery is not gonna go there.
>>
File: 1494029993635.png (28KB, 655x509px) Image search: [Google]
1494029993635.png
28KB, 655x509px
>>82537553
STARGATE UNIVERSE YOU WERE SET UP SO WELL
>>
>>82536489
Why does it matter if the 'strange new sci-fi thing' is discovered through exploration or something else?
>>
>>82536922
Please, if any advanced races are out there, come down and rescue us from our own stupidity and incompetence and give us autodoc nanobots or some damned thing and access to the galactic internets.

Fuck your own galactic university professors who are patting us on the head as cute galactic brown people in our cute huts they want to preserve. FUCK THEM UNTIL THEY DIE
>>
>>82538545
An alien race are one of two things.

A - Peaceful/Pacifistic. This means they would hate us. We fucked up.

or

B - Warlike/aggressive. This means they would hate us because we are pathetic at war or just wipe us out with relativistic missiles. We fucked up.
>>
>>82536489
It didn't have the capability to go beyond the alpha quadrant. They still did a few times by alien means, so yeah they explored quite a bit.
>>
>>82537553
Did you like Voyager?
>>
>>82539391
At least it felt and sounded like Trek with a few redeeming characters. Tuvok, The Doctor and Seven episodes were always worth watching.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.