[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>film studies professor says youtube movie review shows are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 9

File: 1752110.png (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1752110.png
21KB, 400x400px
>film studies professor says youtube movie review shows are "for those who don't like to think" and that we should read a bunch of old books by dead critics instead

I asked him if he at least watched Every Frame a Painting but then he just snickered at me.
>>
should've said: did you like BvS? if not then they should revoke your kino license
>>
>>82489139
>he takes film studies
I hope you are prepared to be very disappointed in life with this decision
>>
>books are for nerds I want my knowledge to come in 6-minute installments with bright colors and sound effects and personalities that will act like they're my closest friends
I hate you and everything you stand for.
>>
He isn't wrong. Online reviewers are just a fun way to spend 20 minutes once every two weeks. They don't say anything really deep or insightful, they just entertain me by talking about movies and acting silly. If you are seriously considering a career in the film industry, and you think online reviewers are the height of the genre, reconsider your decision. That's like wanting to be a chef and thinking McDonalds is the height of cuisine.
>>
>>82489139
He's trying to teach you something anon. If you're just going to ignore what he's saying (which is the truth) and continue to believe your own untested beliefs, then you're acting like a child and why are you paying for the class anyway?
>>
Books inherently have lots more information than even an hour long analysis. Not saying that means they're right but you can only convey so much through speech
>>
>>82489413
Film is a visual medium, there is literally 0 (zero) reason to read a book about a movie.
>>
I'm a painter, I assure you art him criticism is worse. There was nothing more infuriating then having to write a paper citing frauds like Lacan and Adorno, when their own essays are baseless personal ramblings and pseudoscience with not a citation to be found
>>
>dedicating your life to studying and teaching fictional works

tell him his life is a waste.
>>
>old white boomers still think their outdated shit still work

laugh at their face and do your thing
>>
>>82490856
It would take longer than an hour to read a book like that so that's an unfair comparison.
>>
>>82489139
everyframe a painting and other fucks are overbearing with wikipedia analysis layout in flat motion graphics. they are film school fucks who barely know more than a students who trying.

Most of your learning should be research and doing. not watching these fags.

>>82491246
you skim books
>>
>>82489139
>>82489413
>>82489446
>>82490807
>>82490856
>>82491170
>>82491731
But how can critics review the latest kinos if they're dead?
>>
>>82491005
>painter
>writes essays citing philosophers
Shouldn't you be using a brush and not a pen?
>>
>>82491853
in the context of studying film, not being us to date with it's itterrations.

you learn rule of thrids and color from a book/ webpage not a youtube video summery.

you practice, and research the history of shy it works

fuck reviewing films, thats end user shit for the masses
>>
>>82489193

This. You need to learn video production OP. It's a skill you can actually take with you.
>>
>>82489197
>>82489139

> Aqcuire a master's degree in film studies at college
> What do you mean, you won't let me direct your movie?
> Can't get into Hollywood despite getting straight A's
> 1 million dollars in student debt
> Realize "Indie" studios still require previous success and a lot of money
> Literally useless to society
> Start working at MacDonalds to avoid extra student loan debt

Dude, why
>>
>>82491987
but isn't that the career OP wants to take?
>>
>>82491044
This, he is equally as pathetic as you are
>>
>>82492067
Start sucking executive cock
>>
File: 1484221667892.png (90KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1484221667892.png
90KB, 1200x800px
>>82492067
follow ur dreams rather than instanly cop out into some shit. rather die yadda yadda but im good at this

But really im a better position to wank around and a study since im not amikkkan , and one of the few on the planet with the opportunity to do so.
cant self actualize in these fields as easly in any other country
>>
>>82492430
also, not op
i do VR AR 3d, film and shit

im not dumb like OP, diversy, get ready for the matrix bois
>>
>>82489139
>every frame a painting

literally kill yourself
>>
>>82489139
>youtube movie review shows are "for those who don't like to think"
this is true though

Watch films, interpret them in your own way and then talk about those films with friends/anonymous people online
Most movie review channels are retards pointing out obvious references and being like "CHECK OUT THIS SUPER SECRET EASTER EGG YOU PROBABLY MISSED" or being like "this film used rule of thirds and had Deakins as its cinematographer so the cinematography was obviously god-tier"
They're videos for people who want opinions but don't want to go through the process of forming those opinions

>>82492067
this
>>
>>82489139
he's right

there's potential in youtube as a medium but there's little talent there now and the sucessful ones are generally due to regurgitating other people's opinions and having decent editing.
>>
>>82491955
Art theory was part of the education.
>>
File: makeawish.png (579KB, 710x866px) Image search: [Google]
makeawish.png
579KB, 710x866px
>>82489139
>film studies

Jokes on him, your professor's already been fucked for years.
>>
>>82492855
even so, shouldn't he be citing works by other painters/sculptors/film-makers instead of philosophers?
>>
>>82492907
You are analyzing art, but through the context of various theories. Actual formal analysis (color, design etc.) is extremely limited. History and cultural context or perception was more the focus. Formal analysis is more suited ( in their minds at least) for actual painting or design classes. not often then not there was literally no pictures in the stuff we were reading
>>
>>82489139
i mean hes right

if Every Frame a Reddit actually taught you anything you didnt already figure out on your own then youre a retard and will end up holding the boom mic
>>
>>82489197
Taking a class isn't really a bad decision. US colleges require a certain amount of elective, general education, and humanities credits for every major. A class on film studies is good way to fill some of those requirements, if you find the class interesting.

Majoring in it is a pretty poor choice, though, unless you live in a place with a lot of work and the chance to do useful interneships.
>>
>>82489139
Film studies are shit. I spent more than 2 years doing that shit and then I couldn't stand anymore. It's totally useless too. It's better to study by yourself or just go to a technical course/certificate school but the most important thing is just make films.

Make them and put them on festivals and shit.
>>
>>82493462
>>82492906

I agree with this 100% and to add on; most of these teachers and professers are failures. They probably have a huge ego, think they're art; the masses won't understand, but reality is they probably have done nothing of worth, probably can't work well with others, thus becoming a teacher. What else can they do when they're in their 40's and they haven't done anything with their dreams...I know I'm projecting, a lot of pumped up anger, but what the fuck have they probably ever done. Being a critic and teacher is the lamest and lowest form of film/cinema
>>
>>82494126
dont you ever reply to me again
>>
>>82494126
without the artist actually busting their ass, using their parents money, almost going bankrupt just to make a dream/vision/labor, that's bold.

Being able to sit on your ass for two hours or so and being able to know how language works, and then processing it for a few paragraphs of bullshit isn't as noble as taking a chance on a shitty movie, or a blockbuster, sleeper, indie, garbage fire.
>>
>>82489139
>non STEM degrees
Should be banned imho.
>>
>>82494166
you're probably a failure then. I don't have to explain it further. Go out and make it or shut the fuck up.
>>
>>82489139
This is funny because there are people who really think like this.
>>
>>82492907
You should, but contemporary artists get taught how to speak suicide-inducing academic bullshit because most of them are only going to be exhibiting to their former teachers and contemporaries, so they need to learn how to speak that language so they can lecture for a living to others who will similarly be wasting their lives upon graduation, if they're lucky. This is how it is now.
>>
>>82494126
>professers

I wonder why you're so bitter.
>>
>>82494272
I fell for the STEM meme and while I have the aptitude for it, you have to be an actual autist to have much enthusiasm for it tbqh. Regret it massively.
>>
File: D1FvWOO.jpg (82KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
D1FvWOO.jpg
82KB, 800x800px
>>82489197
>Have to take a required number of sociological studies classes in order to graduate any major at my school
>End up taking a few black and foreign film classes to satisfy the requirements
>tfw I'm only two classes away from a film studies minor now

Got to watch some good jap-kino while I was at it.
>>
>>82494413
Yet my point still stands. film studies is a fucking joke
>>
>>82489139
>film studies professor
>he pays money to learn about film
you deserve death
>>
>>82489139
He is 100% correct.
>>
>>82494431
>and while I have the aptitude for it
>Regret it massively.
You clearly don't. Stick to analyzing modern "art" or Freud's cocaine fueled ramblings.
>>
>>82494272
I study physics and even I know you're a faggot
The majority of the stem students I know live up to every stereotype of the fucking I'm-such-a-nerd-xD shit, thinking absolutely every aspect of the human experience can be and should be science-based
The lack of stem students' grounding in any type of philosophy, history, or literature is not only everywhere but encouraged by retards like you
Op is just as bad for thinking he can get a good grasp of film as a whole by watching "Pewdiepie reviews ghostbusters" or whatever the fuck
>>
>>82494759
I'm averaging a little over 80% across the board for my first two years, I just have zero interest in pursuing a career in what I'm doing.
>>
>>82494769
>The lack of stem students' grounding in any type of philosophy, history, or literature
These are all great and should be studied by everyone, as a hobby, not as a fucking university major.
>>
>>82494272
i couldn't disagree more. a physics student in my class used to get in arguments with my professor in class, insisting that Schroedinger's equation (and all of math) was a fundamental truth about the universe that people discovered.
>>
>>82489139
>film studies
you're wasting your time, you should be taking kino studies
>>
>>82494873
Why? Because that's what /pol/ told you?
>>
>>82494873
Sounds like pretty arbitrary reasoning right there
Who decides what topics are hobbies and what topics are big boy degrees? You?
Computer science is a meme degree that could easily be learned at home. It's also picked up on the side of literally any other stem degree nowadays. Will you allow that into your exclusive pantheon of majors in order to oust the studies that the entire fucking concept of universities was founded on?
>>
>>82495131
>>82495265
I don't browse /pol/.
Anyone can open a history or philosophy book and start reading, the concepts are relatively simple. Very few can open a textbook on fluid mechanics and learn the subject matter without a little guidance, which is what universities are for.
>>
>>82490972

nice bait
>>
>>82495332
Can you thumb through Critique of Pure Reason or Finnegans Wake and actually comprehend everything going on with no guidance?
>well I'll just do background reading and find guides on the internet to go along with me and help
The same thing would allow you to comprehend fluid mechanics to the same level, which is to say poorly.

Universities should not be for making you marketable and ensuring you can find a job. This is a recent idea and an incredibly detrimental one. Utilitarian scientism is a plague, and again this is coming from somebody halfway through a degree in physics.
>>
>>82495729
>Universities should not be for making you marketable and ensuring you can find a job.
Thank you! This is what I've been saying

You wanna learn how to program? Great, sit at a computer and teach yourself and then get an internship where you develop your skills in a professional environment surrounded by people with experience
University is supposed to be a place for academics to come together to learn about the world and discuss politics and religion and philosophy in an intellectual manner
Not to circlejerk about the lack of graduate jobs available
>>
>>82491005
>lacan
>fraud
>not a citation to be found
it's psychoanalysis you mong
just because you can't think about things in a certain way doesn't invalidate it or make it useless
>>
>>82495729
>The same thing would allow you to comprehend fluid mechanics to the same level, which is to say poorly.
Not really. Also, universities have labs, you need to see certain things before you can really understand them.
>>
>>82495729
https://harpers.org/archive/2015/09/the-neoliberal-arts/2
>>82496374
wrong hill to die on
the point of college should be the meeting and improvement of intelligent young minds, not to be a glorified trade school
your example doesn't make sense extrapolated either, cs/math need only computers and time, and I can't recall anything in other fields that I needed to "see" to fully understand that couldn't have been approximated with videos or descriptions. I did extracurricular lab work that couldn't be reproduced elsewhere, but that's not the facet of school you were talking about
did you go to college?
>>
>>82489139
He's right.
>>
hmmm
>>82414937
>>81317547
>>
>>82496374
>Not really.
Good points, very nuanced.
>Labs
With as much hand-holding as every lab has now, reading a description of lab results online accomplishes the same things.
Stop viewing universities as degree machines to let you get a higher-paying job. They should be a chance to learn about a subject of your choosing with qualified members of the field.
>>
>>82497041
>the point of college should be the meeting and improvement of intelligent young minds
That is one of the benefits of college. The real goal of higher education is to, well, educate.
>cs/math need only computers and time
Math often involves very abstract concepts that are difficult to learn. CS is basically the gender studies of STEM, it should be removed.
I'm in college now.
>>82497232
>Good points, very nuanced.
There's a big difference in the level of competency you can gain in engineering subjects vs humanities without a guide. Also, if you fail to understand an important part of some subject in engineering, your designs will fail and be useless, or even dangerous. What happens if you don't understand some line in Finnegan's Wake? It's irrelevant, just enjoy the damn book.
>They should be a chance to learn about a subject of your choosing with qualified members of the field.
People can do whatever they like. I'm just saying that studying these meme subjects in university is a waste of time.
>>
>>82495265
>Computer science is a meme degree that could easily be learned at home
This
CS shit is also filled with fedorafag betas that marry slutbags and frequently let bulls fuck them
>>
>>82492564
>Most movie review channels are retards pointing out obvious references and being like "CHECK OUT THIS SUPER SECRET EASTER EGG YOU PROBABLY MISSED"
That literally isn't a review you fucking mong
>>
>>82498274
Every CS major i knew was crippled in some way or autistic
>>
>>82495389
He's right though. What the fuck do you learn about watching or making movies from reading?
>>
>>82495974
THIS
>>
>>82497810
So the majors allowed to be real depend on the severity of consequences when you fuck them up? But the goal is to educate?
This is a pretty inconsistent argument clearly charged by your superiority complex over humanities. Maybe you'd benefit from some study of philosophy and rhetoric.
>>
>>82495265
>could easily be learned at home

Nah, one of the biggest advantages of a good university is the environment you are thrown into and the opportunity to learn without interruption for around 3 years.

A person who studies computer science at home will in this day and age never be as good as he could have been if he went to good university.

That said, many lower tier universities hopped on the comp sci degree band-wagon around 2010 after market demand and these are usually community-college tier and thus pointless.
>>
File: 6421.jpg (22KB, 533x477px) Image search: [Google]
6421.jpg
22KB, 533x477px
>>82489139
>>film studies professor says
>>
>>82489139
>read a bunch of old books by dead critics instead

If they are books wrote by commies punch him in the face.
>>
File: images (5).jpg (19KB, 408x360px) Image search: [Google]
images (5).jpg
19KB, 408x360px
>>82489139
>film studies

You DON'T learn film you MAKE film.
>>
>>82497810
>misunderstanding ideas about human nature and society is without coincidence

Fall of humanities is fall of democracy and fall of science.
>>
>>82491987
Filmmaker here, I hate to tell you, but if you have to learn how to compose a frame by consciously applying the rule of thirds, you shouldn't make films. I had been working for years before I even found out what it was.
>>
File: hikhikhkihnkol.jpg (33KB, 373x550px) Image search: [Google]
hikhikhkihnkol.jpg
33KB, 373x550px
>>82489139
>>film studies
>>
>>82492067
Film studies has never been for training to make films. You do that by making films.
>>
>>82492564
>They're videos for people who want opinions but don't want to go through the process of forming those opinions

So true.
>>
>>82500034
>studying something you like
>then making journal about movies
>helping young filmakers and documentarists
>meeting intetesting people and creating life more rich and interesting

HURR WHY ARENT YOU MAKING NEW DESIGN OF A SCREW FOR NEW IPHONE?
>>
>>82489139
You should've played some Rob Ager on the projector. Your prof. Would've been left a sniveling mess, drop his DSLR and run out of the room in tears
>>
File: hihikoj.jpg (18KB, 248x189px) Image search: [Google]
hihikoj.jpg
18KB, 248x189px
>>82500283
kek, go pay $100k for what you could get having some beers with friends schoolcuck.
>>
>>82500002
Again, I'm not advocating for the humanities to be completely abandoned, actually, I think they're pretty important. I'm just saying they shouldn't be taught at universities.
>>
File: ihi.jpg (7KB, 212x212px) Image search: [Google]
ihi.jpg
7KB, 212x212px
>>82500283
>>helping young filmakers and documentarists
Those brave Film Studies professors....training young minds for a meme profession they have almost no chance ever making a living in!
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.