[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: marvel.png (24KB, 1200x482px) Image search: [Google]
marvel.png
24KB, 1200x482px
>"Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control."
- Simon Pegg

>"A sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times? I said, 'do you think you could promise never to see Star Wars again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape.. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core. "
- David Cronenberg

>"I don't want to see or make films about super heroes that fly around in spandex and a cape solving the problems of the world. I think it's fine for children, children of all ages by the way, but it's not for me."
- William Friedkin

>“They have been poison, this cultural genocide, Because the audience is so overexposed to plot and explosions and shit that doesn’t mean nothing about the experience of being human.”
- Alejandro Iñárritu

>"Superman makes me vomit, Batman and all of that. That whole empire... this religion... It is so important that superheroes suffer... I don't give a damn, I shit on the United States."
- Alejandro Jodorowsky

>"To my mind, this embracing of what were unambiguously children's characters at their mid-20th century inception seems to indicate a retreat from the admittedly overwhelming complexities of modern existence"
- Alan Moore

>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit that... There is a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator, and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
- George Lucas

How do we save film?
>>
lazy copypasta / 10
>>
>>82439517
it's real
>>
Make Warhammer movies instead
>>
>>82439441
>How do we save film?

They tried with indie movies, but you tought they were "to hipsters".
>>
File: IMG_3549.jpg (51KB, 640x737px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3549.jpg
51KB, 640x737px
>>82440435
>t. Games Workshop
>>
>>82439441
>waaah people are having fun
are these what count for """intellectuals""" these days?
>>
>>82439441

Alan Moore's quote perfectly articulates how I feel and why capeshit is completely boring and uninteresting to me.

This opinion always gets a "film snob can't have fun and appreciate kino" reaction, which is entirely unfounded. It is possible to create a campy action flick with characters that behave like actual human beings; but the manchildren who drool over this shit would never hold such high standards.
>>
Simon Pegg can moan all he wants but without 'Nerd culture' he'd be absolutely nowhere.

Spaced and Big Train heavily relied on references to everything nerd.

He can fuck off.
>>
>>82440515
There's nothing wrong with "having fun". But it's wrong when manchildren try to portray it as grown-up stuff.
>>
>>82440519
>It is possible to create a campy action flick with characters that behave like actual human beings

Aliens?
>>
>>82440519
Some of the movies are exactly that, Ant-man for example, very grounded human characters, Moore complained about V for vendetta specifically and league of extraordinary gentleman, that are dumbed down versions of his work.

League was so distant from the source material that it was it's own thing and people don't even makes the association.
>>
>>82440435
Warhammer is mature and for cool dudes only. No JewJew Abrams will ruin it
>>
File: simon pegg star wars.jpg (844KB, 2048x1538px) Image search: [Google]
simon pegg star wars.jpg
844KB, 2048x1538px
>Put simply, this is the idea that as a society, we are kept in a state of arrested development by dominant forces in order to keep us more pliant. We are made passionate about the things that occupied us as children as a means of drawing our attentions away from the things we really should be invested in, inequality, corruption, economic injustice etc. It makes sense that when faced with the awfulness of the world, the harsh realities that surround us, our instinct is to seek comfort, and where else were the majority of us most comfortable than our youth? A time when we were shielded from painful truths by our recreational passions, the toys we played with, the games we played, the comics we read. There was probably more discussion on Twitter about the The Force Awakens and the Batman vs Superman trailers than there was about the Nepalese earthquake or the British general election.
>>
>>82440650
>more discussion about cultural events than boring shit in irrelevant countries
wow really gets the noggin joggin
>>
>>82440603
Are you serious? You think fucking Warhammer is mature? It's the most edgy, childish, dorky shit I've seen in my life
>>
>>82439441
>How do we save film?
by making original content rather than using same pasta 20 times over

sage
>>
>>82440575
Perfect example.

>>82440577
I haven't seen Ant-Man, but the quote fully applies to the capeshit status quo. Character motivations are dumbed down to, "Someone I loved died" and their personalities fit neatly into stale archetypes
>>
>>82440567
Well then the picture in the OP should be Snyder or DC or am i missing something here?
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.