[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

David Lynch Quits Film

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_2762.jpg (14KB, 194x259px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2762.jpg
14KB, 194x259px
http://pitchfork.com/news/73313-david-lynch-says-he-is-done-making-movies/?mbid=homepage-more-latest-and-video

Feel like I've know for a while but I'm still devastated

He's mostly speaking the truth about box office, really makes me more sad and pissed off at the state of American film

Thoughts?
>>
>>82421044
So no monkey movie?
>>
If he wasn't doing it for the money, why would the box office stop him?
>>
>boo hoo my art films don't make monneyyyy :(

well make more entertaining movies
>>
>>82421091
Studios don't make films that don't make money. Backing Lynch is a pretty big gamble.
>>
File: 1493714944338.jpg (27KB, 284x423px) Image search: [Google]
1493714944338.jpg
27KB, 284x423px
>>82421044
Looks like he LYNCHED himself
>>
>>82421091
Honestly this also disappointed me, but I think he's talked about how he thinks about it before.

I don't think he's wrong for expecting to be able to get paid/make a living of film, but it does make me think less of him that he gives so much of a fuck

Still love his work though
>>
>>82421044

>Pitchfork
>>
Makes sense. I'd basically assumed he was retired for a while, so the new season of Twin Peaks is a real gift. I think he actually made an announcement like this years ago, shortly after Inland Empire, that he probably wouldn't be able to make any more features.
>>
>>82421215
On the other hand Lynch movies aren't cheap man, he probably needs that studio money to be able to support his vision

Real fucking shame
>>
>>82421163
But he can just finance himself if needs be. He's rich, and doesn't necessarily need a big budget - look at Eraserhead.
>>
>>82421091
Because whether or not you "care about money," it COSTS a shitload of money to make & release a feature film, even one like Inland Empire. He can't get anyone to invest the amount he'd need to make something good. And though I think he's probably got a decent amount of savings, he could easily bankrupt himself with just one film if he self-financed.

I wonder if he's ever thought about Kickstarter, though. He has a TON of fans that would love to see another film, he could probably raise a lot of donations. Spike Lee & Zach Braff pulled it off, and they're not really beloved on the same level as Lynch
>>
>>82421277
This. He still does stuff for the love of creating. His music and short films make no money but he keeps doing it. The logic that drives Hollywood is what's probably beaten him down.
>>
the only reason people like Lynch is because they think other people like it and they're supposed to also.
>>
>>82421376
>anyone who doesn't share my opinions is lying
He's honestly my favorite director, and I don't think it's "impressive" or anything to sit there and watch a movie
>>
He could still make movies if he wanted to, but he's old and tired of dealing with the bullshit of big studios and doesn't want to make small movies anymore like he used to either.

He'd rather spend all day every day meditating and painting. I don't blame him.
>>
>>82421347
I'm dubious of kickstarter and crowdfunding, never seen it turn out good imo

But, yeah I'd be willing to shed like $100 to fund a film, but even then I don't know how much money he'd really be able to raise. He sure does have some dedicated fans

I don't know how I'd feel about that whole thing desu, and I'd imagine he'd also find it weird/dubious
>>
>>82421044

Without even reading the article, there are a few possibilities here.

1) I know that for a few years, ever since Inland Empire, where he used video (or a digital equivalent thereof), Lynch has said stuff like he will stop using the medium of FILM, in favor of video cameras/digital cameras and such. So that's the first thing the OP makes me think of, again.

2) People in the arts, and entertainers, falsely announce their retirement from xyz all the time in order to create false scarcity about their brand.
>>
>>82421642

Something else worth mentioning is that Lynch is an all-round creative who does other stuff. I unironically like the music of his that I've heard, so if he were to make some more of that, that'd be great too.
>>
>>82421044
Makes me sad but, I sort of figured Twin Peaks would be the final thing he does commercially. Did Lynch make a good amount of money in his career?
>>
File: film_so90wildatheart.jpg (203KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
film_so90wildatheart.jpg
203KB, 700x394px
>starts off as the best film he's made
>comes to a halt halfway through
What did Lynch mean by this?
>>
based
>>
>>82421565
It sucks for unknown filmmakers, because you pretty much just have to beg friends & family for money and give Kickstarter a big cut of it. It sucks because you get nothing if you don't hit your goal.

But it's ideal for filmmakers like Spike Lee and David Lynch, who have a large audience interested in seeing their work, but still have a hard time securing funds from traditional investors/studios, who see the fanbase but wonder whether or not they'll actually buy tickets and show up. Lynch has a HUGE audience, not just in America, but internationally. He could easily get 2 or 3 million from a crowd-funding campaign. I'd donate.
>>
Who will make Ronnie Rocket now?
>>
>>82421642
He's not talking about using film vs digital. And while people do drop the retirement bomb to generate hype I Lynch is being genuine. He's 70 years old and hasn't made a feature length film in over a decade so he doesn't need to manufacture any scarcity.
>>
>>82421290
He was a young man when he did Eraserhead, and desperate to prove himself. You have no idea how exhausting & taxing it is, physically, mentally, emotionally & financially, to self-produce and direct something like that. At this point in his life it could just wreck his health.

It's a little easier with a big budget, where you can keep the hours shorter & film in nice, air-conditioned facilities, without the pressure of staking your own finances on the whole deal
>>
Is this the return of Internet short film Lynch?
>>
>>82421565
>I'm dubious of kickstarter and crowdfunding, never seen it turn out good imo

Anomalisa
>>
How are art house films being made today? There definitely must be producers who would finance a genuine Lynch movie, maybe outside Hollywood but still.
>>
inland empire was shit tho
>>
He's a jaded old guy. Remember the video he made about watching movies on iphones?
Hopefully he will have a good sendoff with Peaks.
>>
>>82421290
It took six years to make Eraserhead, and he was living at the AFI's conservatory, basically an art school with professional-grade equipment and supplies donated by Hollywood - an impossible situation to duplicate.
>>
>>82422083
>Remember the video he made about watching movies on iphones?

You have to be a retard to watch movies on a 5 inch display.
>>
>>82422157
Not arguing.
Makes me wonder why he went with TV when that's even more casual than the state of kino today.
>>
>>82421091
Because Studio Canal can only fund so many flops
>>
>>82421290
But then there's distribution. INLAND EMPIRE was self-distributed.

I think it's more likely than not that he hasn't finished with cinema, but he's accepting that he won't get any more theatrical releases and will have to use television or Netflix-type platforms.
>>
>>82422049
They really aren't, not on the studio level. Not for the last 10 years or so. There's no modern-day equivalent of David Lynch.
>>
>>82421505
Don't respond to contrarians anon.
Lynch is definitley in my top 20 directors, his films are so distinctive and full of a strange charm.
>>
>>82421044
he made at least 3 instaclassics so I don't give a fuck.
>>
>Lynch shot the film without a complete screenplay. Instead, he handed each actor several pages of freshly written dialogue each day.[3] In a 2005 interview, he described his feelings about the shooting process: "I've never worked on a project in this way before. I don’t know exactly how this thing will finally unfold... This film is very different because I don’t have a script. I write the thing scene by scene and much of it is shot and I don’t have much of a clue where it will end. It’s a risk, but I have this feeling that because all things are unified, this idea over here in that room will somehow relate to that idea over there in the pink room."[8]
>Interviewed at the Venice Film Festival, Laura Dern admitted that she didn't know what Inland Empire was about or the role she was playing, but hoped that seeing the film's premiere at the festival would help her "learn more."[3] Justin Theroux has also stated that he "couldn't possibly tell you what the film's about, and at this point I don't know that David Lynch could. It's become sort of a pastime—Laura [Dern] and I sit around on set trying to figure out what's going on."[9]
>In an NPR interview, Laura Dern recounted a conversation she had with one of the movie's new producers.[11] He asked if Lynch was joking when he requested a one-legged woman, a monkey and a lumberjack by 3:15. "Yeah, you're on a David Lynch movie, dude," Dern replied. "Sit back and enjoy the ride." Dern reported that by 4 p.m. they were shooting with the requested individuals.[12]

the man is basically already senile so whatever
>>
File: 1486252482740~01.jpg (97KB, 673x768px) Image search: [Google]
1486252482740~01.jpg
97KB, 673x768px
>>82422015
>yfw more episodes of dumbland
>>
>>82422049
Most art house films don't turn much of a profit, they can get funding from universities or film boards.
>>
>>82421044
Didn't he already quit? He hasn't made one in like 10 years.
>>
I wish he would have just made shit without being pressured. All of his best stuff is before he had much of a budget at all.
>>
>>82422221
Malick, Refn etc from the top of my head. Also European cinema. I can't believe the producers of these are expecting box office success or something. Maybe they are directors who are mostly produced due to their older successes but I bet Lynch is a solid name too. Can't Lynch just do good without a Hollywood sized funding?
>>
>>82422419
Some of the greatest films ever made have been shot that way. Rossellini worked that way, Godard works that way.
>>
i don't know how anybody has any faith in season 3 in twin peaks since he hasn't directed anything worthwhile since inland empire
>>
>>82422441
>universities

I think you're confused. They play in college towns, but the colleges don't fund 'em directly.
>>
>>82422593
kek
>>
Kind of sad, but he hasn't made a feature film in 10 year anyway and Inland Empire was the perfect way to end his career and was basically the logical conclusion to what he was doing with his stuff in the 90s and 00s.

I'd be fine with short films and maybe more original TV shows if that's possible. Though the guy is 71. It's possible he just doesn't want to start a big movie project and potentially not be able to finish it on top of what he's saying about it.
>>
File: phantom.webm (793KB, 706x454px) Image search: [Google]
phantom.webm
793KB, 706x454px
>>82422430
>yfw Rabbits season 2
>>
Based Lynch is my favourite director by far, anyone in the UK been as lucky as me to see Blue Velvet and Mulholland Drive in the cinema in the past year? Absolutely beautiful with and a great speaker system makes it so immersive.

Seeing Fire Walk With Me in the cinema at the end of the month, can't fucking wait
>>
>>82422696
Who's broadcasting Twin Peaks Season 3 outside the states?
>>
>>82422678
Fuck's sake.
>>
>>82422696
I went to see Blue Velvet in cinemas in December. I wanted to see Mulholland Drive in cinemas, but have been too busy with uni.
I think Lost Highway would be a good one to see in cinemas.
>>
He's been fucked by the industry most of his life, but when he eventually dies you can be sure that the next Oscars will suddenly be about "The Great David Lynch" giving him an Honorary award etc
>>
>>82422743

It should be Sky Atlantic, they've got Season 1 of Twin Peaks on demand at the minute, I could be wrong though since i'm just going to download it.
>>
File: IMG_5863.jpg (73KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5863.jpg
73KB, 640x360px
>Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh
>I can't complete in the modern market
>I quit!
>>
>>82422783

You missed a real treat anon, the Winkies scene with the low bass building the entire way throughout was stunning.
>>
>>82422696
I saw fire walk with me at the alamo draft house in Austin. Ate a royale with cheese which was pretty fucking irritating the burger was named that but needless to say this was the second time I watched it.

In the theatre the film really clicked and was actually fucking scary.
>>
>>82422696
yo what cinemas are playing them matey?
>>
>>82422787
Everyone seems to hold Lynch in high regard. I mean Mulholland Drive is adored by critics.
>>
>>82422794
All i got so far

>In Scandinavia, the series will be broadcast on HBO Nordic, with the two-hour premiere airing on May 22, and subsequent episodes being made available the day after its US airing.[61] In Canada, the series will be available on CraveTV.[62] In Australia, episodes of the series will be available to stream on Stan the same day as the original US broadcast.[63] Two episodes will premiere at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival.[2]
>>
>>82421091
how many could he make before he goes broke/nobody wants to fund his movies?

cmon, use your noggin a little big boy
>>
>>82421044
he hasn't made a good film since Mulholland Drive, so not much of a loss. he can do TV or something now. his shorts are better than his movies anyway.
>>
>>82422837

Most indie cinemas had them on a short run, if you're in a University Town who has their own cinema they should have screened them. You have to keep your eyes open though because they're hardly advertised though so you should be keeping an eye on a few National newspapers film sections or like a film Podcast like Kermode & Mayo because they'll bring it up.
>>
File: InlandEmpireCup.webm (3MB, 924x500px) Image search: [Google]
InlandEmpireCup.webm
3MB, 924x500px
>>82422904
Not liking Inland Empire shows that you're a pleb.
>>
Malick doesnt give two fucks about the box office and he keeps doing films.
>>
File: 1424231192255.jpg (217KB, 1260x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1424231192255.jpg
217KB, 1260x1240px
>>82421044
Fucking finally, this guys work is shit. He is literally *holds up spork* the director.
>>
>>82422873
He has a networth of $60 million - making a movie with a reasonable budget should surely make him some money, or won't be a big loss.
>>
>>82422820
>Anime reaction face
>Pleb reaction
It's like pottery
>>
>>82422960
Because people will pay for the production of the films, and he's willing to use random big-name stars, who are willing to work with him for nothing.

It's as though you all think films just go from the guy's head to the marketplace. There are amazing films you haven't seen because nobody would distribute them. There are amazing screenplays that have never been filmed because no producer wanted to take the risk with their money.
>>
>>82422960
That's because he's born wealthy
>>
>>82421235
> I think he actually made an announcement like this years ago, shortly after Inland Empire, that he probably wouldn't be able to make any more features.

Fucking this, there's no news
>>
>>82421044
I feel like all of his films are variations on a theme and he ran out of ideas after Mulholland Drive. Inland Empire was just more of the same but without editing.
>>
>>82421642
>Without even reading the article

Then why contribute? It's barely a paragraph long you absolute cretin.
>>
>>82423222
He's just taken "the dark underbelly off [...]" from Blue Velvet, and ran with that for all his subsequent films - except The Straight Story of course.
>>
>>82423331
How does that apply to Wild at Heart, Lost Highway or Inland Empire? Mulholland Drive is "dark underbelly of Hollywood" but there's more to it than that, from Twin Peaks onwards he's all about gods & trans-dimensional beings.
>>
good, Eraserhead and Twin Peaks are not good
>>
>>82421044
He completed twin peaks. I'm good.

Technically he could do another mini series. He didn't say tv.
>>
>>82423104
Making and distributing a film almost single-handed is not something you get into the habit of doing. Lynch did it already with INLAND EMPIRE. Even Cassavetes stopped when the costs got too high. Lynch threatened to walk from the new Twin Peaks unless they budgeted it properly, I think after having spent so long not making films, he's not interested in making compromises just to stay in the game - if producers won't meet his requirements, he can just as happily make some furniture, record some music, or paint a few more canvases.
>>
>>82423222
Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive can be compared I think but Inland Empire is its own thing. Sure, it's got stuff in it that was used for his other movies too but it isn't just a rehash of his last two movies like you make it seem.
>>
No he needs to come back to do the Dune remake
>>
>>82422958
no it just shows that I have taste. There's a reason he hasn't made a film since Inland Empire.
>>
>>82423469
That reason isn't that it was bad.
>>
>>82423222
>>82423331
>>82423393

Three people who haven't seen Eraserhead, or think it was just a calling-card. Lynch is not a mainstream director who got weird, he was an experimental filmmaker-turned-art-cinema-director who got extremely lucky and knew it.
>>
fucking TM fucking with his head.
>>
>>82422960
He should stop, because his only worthwhile films are Badlands and Days of Heaven.
>>
File: film enthusiast fedora.jpg (227KB, 1200x1101px) Image search: [Google]
film enthusiast fedora.jpg
227KB, 1200x1101px
>state of film
Film was always the trash medium.
Piss off
>>
>>82422962
Posting a Roman bust doesn't give your brainlet opinion any credibility.
>>
>>82423591
He's been practicing TM since the production of Eraserhead, he just got more evangelical about it around the release of INLAND EMPIRE.
>>
>>82421044
he was a meme director anyway, his films were taylor made for reddit
>>
>>82423795
wanna know how i know you're a shitskin?
>>
File: 1466745520708.png (420KB, 459x568px) Image search: [Google]
1466745520708.png
420KB, 459x568px
>>82423795
>taylor made
>>
Not really surprising, as he hasn't made a film in over ten years anyway. Season 3 of Twin Peaks is pretty much a swan song for Lynch and his career, and I hope he goes out on a high note.
>>
>>82421109
This.

I love Lynch, but Inland Empire was a fucking chore. I bet the train trip to Auschwitz had better entertainment.
>>
File: fh6cczpra0vx.jpg (23KB, 504x375px) Image search: [Google]
fh6cczpra0vx.jpg
23KB, 504x375px
>>82424278
OH ANGELO
TAKE ME TO THE WHITE LODGE
>>
>>82421044

FINALLY!
>>
File: Dumbland.jpg (44KB, 401x574px) Image search: [Google]
Dumbland.jpg
44KB, 401x574px
>>82422430
why havent i ever heard of this?

this is like a different beavis and butthead

does he do all the voices?
>>
File: lynch 2.jpg (213KB, 1203x767px) Image search: [Google]
lynch 2.jpg
213KB, 1203x767px
He can just start a Youtube channel. I'd watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSP-ewdJYJc
>>
>>82424320
If you don't love Inland Empire, you never understood Lynch to begin with, you were just a normie Velvetbro.
>>
>>82423441
Shane Carruth does it. Lynch could do it if he wanted to do, but he's a hack. See his cartoon/music for proof.
>>
>>82421044
uhmm he didn't make a movie since 2006 anyway
>>
How can someone like Refn get his autistic kino's funded, and Lynch can't?

There have to be some investors while to fund his shit.
>>
>>82424773
What weak bait.
>>
>>82425365
Refn fulfills a lot of genre promises, whereas I think people realize now that Lynch only ever uses genre iconography, without neccesarily delivering on any expectations that might be created. Also, Refn's films are deceptively cheap.
>>
>>82421044
John Waters is in the same position now. Anyone mid-budget, neither super-cheap nor blockbuster aspirant, is now out of the game.
>>
>>82424676
Wtf this is kino as fuck
>>
>>82424324
kek this never gets old
>>
>>82421290
He can't finance himself because all of his money goes into that transcendental meditation meme cult thing he pays into hand over fist.
>>
>>82422591
>Can't Lynch just do good without a Hollywood sized funding?

Apparently he can't, this is one of the flaws Lynch has, maybe because he was always a spoiled rich guy from Hollywood
I mean does he want to make the next transformers movie? How much fucking money does he need to make some dirty hobo appear out of nowhere from a corner?

I honestly have a hard time thinking how artsy movies can have such ''big'' budget, not talking about Lynch specifically but stuff like Korine's Gummo, that shit doesn't look like it was made with a million dollar budget
>>
>>82422833
FWWM is terrifying if you watch it on an ipad
>>
>>82423795
fuck off back to reddddit, nigger

>taylor made
pajeet
>>
>>82426561
>he was always a spoiled rich guy from Hollywood

Why are you bothering with this weak stratagem?
>>
>>82421376
I mean, you're right. But he does make great movies regardless.
>>
>>82422696
I saw Blue Velvet in a theater last week.

Wonderful experience, it was actually an incredibly tense watch, which I wasn't expecting from a movie over 30 years old (don't get me wrong all I watch is older movies but they never really get me on edge). Goes to show how much stronger a well-made film can be in the theater over an expensive one.
>>
Realizing he's a fraud who got to where he was because the art school world needs an avatar to validate their pretensions is part of maturing as a cineaste.
>>
>>82426215
Transcendental meditation is some real shit. That's how he got all his ideas.
>>
>>82427674
I have no idea what any of this means but I completely agree with you. Eraserhead is a shitty movie and I don't care if this hack never makes another movie again because I'll be waiting for the next Fast and Furious movie. I'm not even in kidding.
>>
>>82427871
Have you watched any of his other stuff besides Eraserhead?
>>
Only way he couldd get funding is to have some big names with star power like Malick or Gilliam do.
>>
File: IMG_0564.png (221KB, 500x557px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0564.png
221KB, 500x557px
>>82421044
what a faggot, if Kubrick was alive today, he'd STILL be making, directing, producing, and editing his on films, making what ever the fuck he wanted. He's just butt hurt that no one production company doesn't want to give him money cause he makes shit movies? well darn, why doesn't he make better ones like ol' Stanley did, literally can't say I'm wrong, literally cannot disagree Lynch is a hack for this "quit" shit.
>>
>>82425365
Refn mostly got financing for The Neon Demon from various Euro sources
>>
>>82421347
The thing about kickstarter is that it's good if you want to make something around the ~1 to 10 million range. Anything above that is highly unlikely. Hell, a shitton of projects don't go over 1 mil either or barely reach it. Lynch has been known to refuse to compromise when it comes to budgeting, so I dunno if it'd be a good match for him. He may have a hard time making a movie on a smaller budget.
>>
>>82427948
I haven't even seen Eraserhead if we're being honest, and Twin Peaks is overrated. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed it but it's not that great.
>>
Yes! Finally!!
>>
>>82428195
Watch Lost Highway and Mulholland Dr.

Actually, Blue Velvet is probably one of his more straightforward movies so maybe that's a better starting point.
>>
>>82421044
Honestly as much as I like everything he's done, Inland Empire is a perfect ending for his film career. I don't think there's any harm being done.
>>
fun fact Kubrick said Eraserhead was his favorite film.
>>
>>82424490
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYHOQ6AQ3Rc

Just, why?
>>
>>82424320
IE is the best thing he's done since Eraserhead, nothing compares to those two magnificent bookends
>>
>>82422609
Has he even directed anything since Inland Empire?
>>
Every single one of his movies is worse than the previous one he made, starting at eraserhead.
>>
>>82429798
But his most recent movie, Inland Empire, is his best one.
>>
>>82423463
>Dune remake
I would be over the rainbow if he tried to do a miniseries collaborating with Jodorowsky and as much of their team to do Dune
>>
>>82421044
He's still making Twin Peaks, right?
>>
>>82428195
>Eraserhead is a shitty movie
>I haven't even seen Eraserhead if we're being honest
fucking idiot, lol
>>
>>82421044
Hasn't it been a decade since he last made a film?
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.