[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the xenomorph weak to fire or resistant to fire? It seems

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

File: XenomorphXX121.png (864KB, 640x820px) Image search: [Google]
XenomorphXX121.png
864KB, 640x820px
Is the xenomorph weak to fire or resistant to fire?
It seems to cause him some degree of pain, plus it keeps it at bay, and considering it uses non-conventional ways (from a human perspective) to sense his surroundings, it probably causes some kind of sensory overload on it, but no full grown xeno is ever shown in the movies being killed by fire.

>Ash claims the creature's skin is made from 'protein polysaccharides', so this would imply a substance similar to chitin. He also says the creature replaces its surface cells with polarized silicone, which is a very inert, heat resistant, and flexible polymer. This allows the creature great environmental resistance.
>>
>>82418670
Can't these things survive in Space?
>>
The reason fire is used to kill things in movies is because it's more effective at killing than bullets. You don't have to aim, fire just eats away biological matter. I always thought the alien was succeptable but also had some degree of protection as well.
>>
>>82418742
Yes, apparently they don't need to breathe or eat. Their acid blood is like a battery.
>>
Is it ever proven that fire is effective? In Alien, the whole premise is animals are scared of fire and that's pretty much it.
>>
>>82418670
there smart but not human smart think dolphins so they probably have a fear of fire like most animals do my 2 cents
>>
>>82418759
Not really. The xeno doesn't have skin and its exoskeleton seems to be very resilient to extreme temperatures, but not extremely quick temperature changes (thermal shock), but to kill it like that you would need to light it up with fire and then throw something like liquid nitrogen on it right after. Since it doesn't need to breathe, it can't die by asphyxia either.
I seriously don't see how a flamethrower can kill an adult xenomorph.
>>
>>82418982
They're about as smart as electricians.
>>
>>82418742
Yeah but they just float away
>>
>>82418948

In the script/novelisation, near the end, when Parker and Lambert are scrambling all the shit to get to the shuttle and gtfo, the Alien comes down a shaft near them. Parker tries to torch it with his flamethrower, but the Alien comes out unscathed and proceeds to butcher them both.

So I guess canonically the Alien is rather impervious to fire. In Alien 3 they drown it in a vat of molten lead and it still comes out alive f a m
>>
>>82419303
Oh shit really? I need to re-read that. I remember Parker frantically telling them it was in the air lock and Ash fucks it up deliberately or something; which almost made it into the film and is a deleted scene without much substance.
>>
File: 1457140257468.jpg (205KB, 864x1296px) Image search: [Google]
1457140257468.jpg
205KB, 864x1296px
>>82419303
And in Aliens we never see the flamethrowers actually killing them. Drake stays behind torching them while the rest of the team gets inside the APC, but nothing says they were being killed. He was probably just keeping them at bay.
Their biology is such that I don't think any of the things that make fire actually kill us: asphyxia, extreme nerve overload, lethal structural damage, etc would have any effect on it.
I guess explosive tipped, armor piercing rounds are the way to go.
>>
>>82419303

>In Alien 3 they drown it in a vat of molten lead and it still comes out alive f a m

I hate power creep shitty writing like this. Just make it impervious to everything as if the heat of the lead wouldn't radiate through the chitin and roast the organs like a can of beans on a barbeque.
>>
>>82419415

That happens earlier - their second attempt to kill the Alien by luring it to the airlock after Dallas' death. They manage to put it in the airlock while it's mesmerised by the flashing lights inside, but when Parker/Ripley (don't remember who exactly now) try to close the outer door in order to trap it inside, Ash blasts the airlock alarm and the Alien zips out before the door can close.

It's a pretty tense moment in the script and shamefully it was left out of the movie.
>>
>>82419637
Jesus, that sounds tense as fuck.
>>
>>82419581
I don't think that would make any difference. Its chitin is silicon based.
“visions of silicon-aluminium organisms … wandering through an atmosphere of gaseous sulphur … by the shores of a sea of liquid iron, some thousand degrees or so above the temperature of a blast furnace.”
>>
>>82419581
It was pretty fucked up coming out of the lead if I remember. Like it had cracks and chunks coming off its skull.
>>
>>82419770
I think that's after it was doused with liquid nitrogen, but I don't remember it very well.
>>
File: 6_392.jpg (33KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
6_392.jpg
33KB, 670x503px
If for example you manage to destroy part of his head but without killing him, will it leak acid blood until it finally runs out and something happens to it or does the carapace/other part of the body gradually heals?
>>
>>82418670
Alien 3 retconned this. In Alien there is no indication the Alien is weak to fire. Even Aliens they show no fear of it until 3.
>>
>>82419770

When it leaped out of the furnace, it was only steaming IIRC. When Ripley doused it with water was when it cracked and blew up
>>
>>82419581
>chitin
>exoskeleton
Aliens are not insects. They do not have this feature. See OP: >"Ash claims the creature's skin is made from 'protein polysaccharides', so this would imply a substance similar to chitin. He also says the creature replaces its surface cells with polarized silicone, which is a very inert, heat resistant, and flexible polymer. This allows the creature great environmental resistance."
>>
>>82419569

Yeah, even in the end, when the mother Alien was surrounded by fire and extreme heat, nothing happened - bitch just tore off her eggsac and casually walked away
>>
>>82419819
I think it heals very fast. If I'm not mistaken it can even regain limbs. It's blood provides all it's energy until it dies so it can't have the luxury of having it spill out continuously. We have natural ways of closing wounds to prevent blood loss so why not the "structurally perfect organism"?

>>82419886
Chitin is a good name for it I think. After all chitin IS made from protein polysaccharides
>>
There are 2 good alien films out of 5.

This is hardly worth discussing
>>
>>82420007
why did you think that was relevant? the alien would be an interesting beast, even if there were 20 shit movies. I also need to know for my Doom mod.
>>
>>82419995
>it can even regain limbs
Fugg. Where is that stated though? Just curious Although it makes sense since as you and ash have said "perfect organism"?
>>
>>82420125
I don't remember where I saw it, but it would explain its behavior when in large groups.
>>
>>82420125
"radioactive ammunition is used extensively by United States Colonial Marine Corps, effectively neutralizing the Xenomorph healing ability."

this from the Aliens vs Predator: Extinction game, but still
>>
>>82418742
yes, but how the fuck would this help as a trait
you fire one out into space like ripley did, congratulations it's floating there
so it gets near a planet with an atmosphere, it'll burn up to a acidy ball of mush on re-entry
being able to survive in space is a useless characteristic
fight me
>>
>>82420352
you're stupid. being able to survive in space means it's able to survive in a bunch of other situations too, it's not about space per se.
what's the name of those little bear thingies that never die?
>>
>>82419879
Alien 3 was stupid.
>>
>>82420805
Care Bears Tardigrade
>>
>>82420352
in lots of the videogames and other books/ media produced they end up scuttling across the hulls of space stations and ships, breaking their way in, and fucking shit up from another section. It's useful.
>>
>>82420352
No, it's pretty useful for stealthily sabotaging space stations or large craft. A couple of Aliens silently infiltrating a station or bowl of a craft could cause a nasty mess. See Alien: Isolation of what one Alien could do.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.