[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GitS remake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: ghost-in-the-shell.jpg (230KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-in-the-shell.jpg
230KB, 1024x683px
The Ghost in the Shell remake is just plain bad. Not terrible-- just painfully uncreative. If they wanted an American cast they should have gone all the way and re-located the story to America, because the whole thing has an inherent sheen of silliness over it-- Japan is one of the most homogenized countries in the world (by choice), and yet there are hardly any Asian people in the movie. And the one Japanese character, Aramaki, is basically reduced to a monotonous joke. Why does he only speak in Japanese and with subtitles? How are the other characters talking to him? Are the other characters talking in Japanese too, but for some reason Aramaki's "audience translator" is broken? Did Japan switch their language to English and Aramki insists on speaking Japanese out of stubbornness, and everyone else is bilingual, understands him but refuses to play along? It makes no sense.

The biggest offense to me though was that they basically just took the action setpieces and iconic scenes from the original and wrote a generic hollywood origin story around them. It's a new story, but the action scenes are all lifted from the original movie. I don't understand what they were thinking with this. If their goal was to do a franchise with the puppet master happening in a future movie, there are no action scenes left for them to adapt from the original movie.

Maybe if I didn't already know the original movie I would have liked it better and just seen this as an average sci-fi action movie, but that raises the question: who was this movie made for? If you're a fan you'll feel alienated watching it, and if you're new it does nothing to convince you what all the fuss is about.

It's just a bad remake all the way through. It does not capture the magic and intrigue of the original, and everything new it brings to the table is just generic Hollywood cliches at best and nonsensical asspulling at worst. Plenty of sci-fi movies that have done far more with far less.
>>
You know the remake like 50% chinese, right?
>>
>>82401989
I thought they tried giving "Mira" a different motivation from the original scene's,look at the spider-tank & the car case compared to the 95 version
>>
It's a mindless YA movie
>>
>>82402383
They took the same scenes and put them in completely different contexts. They wanted to do an origin story for the Major while also cashing in on all the setpieces people are nostalgic for. It doesn't make any sense to write a remake that way. If the goal is to make a prequel, give us an entirely new story with new setpieces. If the goal is to give us all those classic setpieces, adapt the source material properly. The script was crap and no amount of fancy special effects could have saved it.
>>
>>82401989
Whining about the Japanese means you have brain damage when it's obvious all the characters understand Japanese. The CGI was brutal. The end.
>>
I haven't kept up with how the box-office handled it but how'd it do? Did anyone like this version?

Will we see an Akira adaption after all?
>>
>>82401989
it was pretty good though
>>
>>82403513
Get Out! director is directing the live action Akira movie with script from Marco Ramirez who wrote Dardevil episodes
>>
>>82401989
the aramaki speaking only japanese thing is the running gag from the oceans trilogy, where yen only speaks chinese, yet everybody understands him and talks to him in english

i have no idea why this joke was supposed to be in a "serious" movie, but it was just retarted
>>
Ghost in the Shell was fucking snore core. Such a snoozefest. I can't believe I wasted time watching that bullshit.
>>
>>82405248
is leo ivolved?
>>
>>82401989
Ya it feels like a standard videogame adaptation where they dont play or like the game. The director has only done snow white and the huntsman before this which was overrated imo and he had an affair with kristin stewart. They shoulda got whoever made Dredd that was a solid remake. they set this up for a continuation but some changes need to happen if its gonna be any good. wasnt terrible all in all they just didn't see what they had.
>>
>>82402063
like what? shooting parts of the film in hong kong doesn't make it 50% chinese, retard
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.