[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Agatha Christie's Poirot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: 70208060.jpg (72KB, 665x375px) Image search: [Google]
70208060.jpg
72KB, 665x375px
really comfy detective show

each episode is pretty much a movie, and i find it more interesting than sherlock..

what is a favorite episode of yours?
I've enjoyed abc murders, the third girl, after the flood, three act play, and appointment with death especially so far..
Any shows like it?
>>
There are so many episodes it's difficult to pick a favourite, but it's one of ITV's most consistently entertaining shows.

It really harkens back to an older time in television when I think about it, not once did I ever see it succumb to any PC nonsense, it always focused on the story, the time period and translating the works from the books (though it sometimes took a lot of liberties, like with the Murder on the Orient Express).
>>
Good show
think you might enjoy Inspector Morse, if you haven't already seen it
>>
The books are better ;)
>>
File: maigret.jpg (107KB, 720x481px) Image search: [Google]
maigret.jpg
107KB, 720x481px
>>82398083
Rowan Atkinson's Maigret is pretty good.
They've only done three episodes so far.
>>
it's a good show

Foyle's War is bettter tho
>>
>>82398235
I liked that Maigret's gimmick is that he is happily married to an understanding wife and he is supported by his colleagues.

>Maigret, you're staying on the case!
>Jules, if you're out all night catching a murderer again, god help me... I'll stay up and make sure you have a hot dinner waiting anyway.
>>
>>82398198
agreed, even the last couple seasons in made a couple years ago seem consistent with this

>>82398198
i will add that to my list

>>82398221
i read some of the books first and id normally agree with you, but the actor who plays poirot is just so damn good

>>82398235
this looks good, interested to see how rowan atkinson is as a detective
>>
>>82398235
>>82398341
finally a well-adjusted detective haha
poirot is more normal than say sherlock but he was still kind of a loner and has some OCD tendencies..
>>
>>82398083

Books are GOAT. I truly mean GOAT. They are addicting.

Show is good. The Poirot actor is really good.

But seriously, the books are amazing.
>>
>>82398083
So is Hastings supposed to be gay or what?
>>
>>82398251

Foyle's War is pretty good, I like the heavy amount of detail the director of that show puts into the time, to an almost autistic degree.

For instance, just after the end of the war he has British Army agents using Sten Mk V's with wooden stocks and foregrips, which, while not exactly hard to research, is a detail I could potentially see people glossing over, "just give them a war-time accurate gun and go with it."

I also liked how German characters were typically played by German actors, Americans were played by Americans, they were all nice touches.
>>
>>82398440
they are the best of comfy detective stories to read next to a fireplace with a cup of hot coca
>>
>>82398481
Foyle's War is GOAT detective kino
>>
>>82398474

No, just awkward and kinda bumbling. He's meant to be the archetypal upper-class twit who sounds smart, but is quite lacking in common sense.

Though he's also the one willing to shoot people when necessary, so he brings his own to the table.
>>
Obscure choice, but Campion is good yet completely forgotten. Only very rarely repeated for some reason. Not strictly a detective stories every time, sometimes lean more towards to mysteries.
>>
sherlock isn't a detective show
>>
Can't really watch shows by itv and c4 and stuff. They have an atmosphere to them which reminds of faking illness to sit and watch tv all day at my grandma's house. Whilst you could say it was a comfy time, the production of the shows are always unsettling to me in a way I can't explain. Probably because I watch tv to escape and when I watch these types of shows I feel like I'm locked in the past.

Everytime i mention this to people they don't understand what I mean.
>>
>>82398083
How come they don't play any of the episodes in USA? Pbs only plays the same ten episodes over and over
>>
>>82398474
He has fallen in love with women on the show before, as has Poirot, so no
>>
>>82399730
Probably the same way I feel when i watch Roseanne, like going back in time, but not in a fun way
>>
>>82399836
Play any of the *new episodes, just the same ten from the 80s
>>
File: file.png (187KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
187KB, 400x400px
>>82398083
>>
Oh man Poirot recreated the 30s very well! I just love the setting. Art deco is the best art movement hands down
>>
>>82398083
David Suchet portrays a kino Poirot
>>
This cheap British TV shit will be forgotten after the Hollywood film is released later this year.
>>
>>82400225
It won't be. At least not in England.
>>
>>82398167
Honestly I expected to be mad at the Orient Express changes but I think it made for a better story overall
>>
>>82400225

>this year

Lumet already adapted it in the 70's.
>>
>>82400107
Since I recommend just about anything Suchet does on TV you should try Decline and Fall, even Jack Whitehall is good in it.
>>
>>82400337
>even Jack Whitehall is good in it.
Well that's a fucking first
>>
>>82400360
He just has to be a reasonably sympathetic underclass twit. He's pretty good at that.
>>
>>82400404
Upperclass I mean. Fucking Google.
>>
>>82400337
>On TV

But everyone knows starship troopers was his finest role
>>
File: What.jpg (9KB, 214x210px) Image search: [Google]
What.jpg
9KB, 214x210px
>>82400437
>But everyone knows starship troopers was his finest role
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 573x612px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 573x612px
>>82399730
Too much of a kitchen sink drama?
>>
>>82398083
Sounds good.

I had/got to read 10 Little Indians/And Then There Were None in middle school. Really enjoyed it. I think it was assigned, which is weird, but it's one of the few books I read for school that I vividly remember.
>>
>>82401037
Ten Little Niggers/Ten Little Indians/And then there were none, isn't a Poirot novel. But if you enjoyed it, the other year the BBC did a really good adaptation of it if your interested, it captures the terror of the captives perfectly.
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_Then_There_Were_None_(miniseries)
>>
>>82401532
Thanks. I'll definitely check it out.
>>
>>82401037
>>82401532
The story/adaptation was really fucked up, surprised agatha christie wrote such a dark story
>>
btw the poirot intro was nightmare fuel for me as a kid, and it still freaks me out today
>>
>>82401810
She got away with an amazing amount for a more innocent era. But yeah 'And there were none' has to be one of the earliest pure horror novels.
>>
File: n5cuem7Eg31t1g01wo3_r1_1280.jpg (230KB, 1200x784px) Image search: [Google]
n5cuem7Eg31t1g01wo3_r1_1280.jpg
230KB, 1200x784px
Does the novel Death in the Nile explain the logic behind this dumbass plan?

>I'll pretend to try to kill you so everyone's distracted and you can kill your fiancée
Pretty sure even in the 30s attempted murder was a crime that didn't require the victim to press charges so she'd go to jail anyway.
>>
>>82400225

I can only imagine what soulless tripe your country must shit out if you're really willing to dismiss such an old and beloved show as being eclipsed by a fucking Kenneth Branagh movie, which are known to be one-hit-wonders, including within Hollywood. It's not as though this is even the first Murder on the Orient Express movie to be made, either, adapting that particular story is popularly done, as it happens.
>>
File: IMG_0582.jpg (28KB, 200x230px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0582.jpg
28KB, 200x230px
This is now an Inspector Montalbano thread.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.