[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/who/ - Doctor Who General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 39

Audio General edition. What are you listening to?

Currently listening to The Library of Alexandria. It's slow so far, but the Ian/Barbara dynamic is titillating. I mean that in every way possible.

Last time >>82305263
>>
>>82326403
The placement for Excelis is really pretty arbitrary. Of course you can follow the Eyespider guideline, but it won't hurt anything if you shift it until after the Evelyn storyline. (Whereas It will hurt if you don't do the Excelis stories themselves in order.)

>>82326548
>>82326582
I liked Bang-Bang-a-Boom too, but I can understand why someone else might not. I'm just saying that, even if you didn't like it, I can't see how it would burn you out on 7/Mel, because it's so much different from the preceding and following 7/Mel stories.
>>
>>82326403
Sylv, what do you think of this site https://bradleybasement.wordpress.com/doctor-who-timelines/

I normally use eyespider too but I saw that site got rec'd the other day and I'm not sure if it's better or anything. There's Clive Banks, that formats everything into "seasons" that's alright too.
>>
>>82326511
I don't think I've ever heard anything positive about Mel. I've heard screamy and useless, which she pretty much is in Fires.
>>
>>82326703
Other chronological Anon here.

I poked around on it, and while the placements are spot on, it's not very intuitive and downright difficult to navigate at times.
>>
>>82326703
Well, a good reason as to why I strongly prefer Eyespider is more or less the design of the site. Besides that, I'm not looking at any other timelines because I've already organized my audios and a half, and it gets increasingly irritating.
>>
>>82326705
Fires is just trying to do TV Mel a little better. Which it pulls off, but doing TV Mel a little better isn't enough to change anyone's opinion of her.

Try Catch-1782 instead. If you still hate her after that, you're probably not going to like her in anything (except maybe the OTT jokey ones).
>>
File: 1484939626554.png (837KB, 1617x743px) Image search: [Google]
1484939626554.png
837KB, 1617x743px
>>82326766
Ah right. I find it frustrating to navigate between the sites, like I was trying to place "Alien Heart / Dalek Soul" for 5 the other day and Eyespider hadn't gotten around to it yet cause the guy's slowed down a bit, so I checked Clive Banks and he had it, but sometimes they contradict and it's just such a mess when none of the 3 sites is really MILES better than another.

>>82326806
Yeah, same as me pretty much. This is how I have 5, 99% of it drawn from Eyespider, and if I look too long at alternate orders I get overwhelmed because it would be such a pain to try and reconcile them.
>>
>>82326703
I was the one who recommended Bradley.

Well, not really "recommended", so much as answered when someone asked if there were any alternatives to eyespider.

The main advantages are that he keeps up on all the spinoffs (and provides timelines for characters like Iris and River), and that there's more open discussion (on the not-BF forums) around his chronology.

The main disadvantages are that he changes things more often, and it's a lot uglier.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1134x643px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1134x643px
>>82326868
I don't do the files by themselves because iTunes acts as if the files are lost forever if I move or rename them, and because they manage to get saved in Windows Explorer as their respective "albums" and numbers.
>>
>>82326868
>>82326877
I use Eyespider when it comes to actual Doctor stories; it's clean, and although Kearly is slower, it's worth the weight IMO.

But Bradley is gonna be my go to for spin-offs; I find it frustrating that Eyespider refuses to update his Addenda page. It used to be somewhat comprehensive, but he recently gutted it.
>>
File: 1466101435950.png (2MB, 1671x931px) Image search: [Google]
1466101435950.png
2MB, 1671x931px
>>82326952
Makes sense. When I listen to the actual audios I do so from a music player, but I like having the files organised too. Nice iTunes set-up. Seeing the art really is nice.

>>82326979
Probably a good compromise. Yeah why did that happen with Eyespider, that page used to be much bigger.
>>
>>82326868
Naming things like "03 Season 19B" always somehow confuses me. I just have a "19.0" directory for S19, then "19.2", "19.2", etc., and then "20".

And that means I can have a virtual listing of everything across all Doctors, and it's still in order.

Of course that means I have 26.50 for the TV movie, 26.60 for the RT comics, etc., so 9/Rose can be 27.0. Which is probably getting a little too autistic, and as soon as they back-fill anything into the EDA/DE/etc. line I'm going to have to go another digit further into 26.8, but… that's the whole point of real numbers, right?
>>
>>82326945
Honestly, my favorite switches between 12, 11, or 7 pretty much every day.
I have more experience writing 11, but I want to cut my teeth on 12, but that might require some rewrites.
>>
>>82327062
Oh yeah, iTunes is really useful; what aren't useful are both iBooks AND Audible. iBooks is very good as an app, but doesn't allow me to remove a single file or show a different cover, while Audible straight up removes any playtime at any given moment. Could be an hour and seven minutes into an audio, and boom, it decides to just erase it and I'm stuck figuring it out. It also has the nasty tendency to crash my music player and itself if I try playing it on the native iOS app.
>>
>>82327062
Back in December I messaged him asked why he hadn't added all of The Diary of River Song to his addenda page, and he told me that it had "gotten out of hand" and wasn't intended to be a timeline of spin-offs. He admitted that he was considering eliminating a lot of it. I guess he finally decided to do so.
>>
>>82327113
I think most people who care as much as we do have their own little system and get confused by other people's, ha. I just use "B" to signify it taking place after a season but not during the next one ' "01 Season 19" is stories taking place in-between season 19 stories, "02 Season 19B" is taking place after all the televised season 19 stories, but before any televised season 20 stories, etc.

I like your 19.2 system though, I gather that's just like the "B" thing except a new .number for every new set of stories? Like when I have five "Season 20B" folders in a row, you'd have 20.1, 20.2, 20.3, 20.4, 20.5?

>9/Rose can be 27.0

I've struggled with that, I really like the idea of NewWho being "Season 27, 28, 29" for continuity, but in practise it's just such a mess, especially when you try to play with all 8's stuff.

>>82327146
Eught that sounds awful. Is the Big Finish app any good, I've heard people load pirated stories onto it.

>>82327216
Seems weird to draw the line there.
>>
>>82327231
I've tried it, but it's alright at best. Haven't heard of being able to load pirated Who onto it though.
>>
>>82327231
>>82327260
Just downloaded the app to my phone, and it doesn't let me see my downloaded Who, just what I've purchased from them.
>>
>>82327308
I haven't done it myself, I don't use the app at all, I've just heard anons say there's a way to do it, sorry if I'm leading you on a wild's goose chase with it. There's probably some specific way to do it but I'm not great with phones, and don't know the actual method.
>>
>>82327231
I agree; I feel like most of what he has on there is arbitrary now. For example, he cuts Torchwood of at Childen of Earth, but includes every SJ/SJA story. It is ultimately up to him, but it doesn't really seem to make sense from the outside.
>>
>>82327337
Nah it's fine, don't worry. I'm just trying to figure out how I can fix the issues I'm having without turning the audios into music instead of audibooks. I tried that, and it led to so much disorganization.
>>
File: 1493290109563.png (35KB, 542x602px) Image search: [Google]
1493290109563.png
35KB, 542x602px
>tfw 17005 days until the 100th special

Fun Fact: 17005 days ago there was a Rock Memorabilia Auction at Filmore East
>>
>>82327216
I'm surprised it was River that finally broke him after all that time dealing with Benny.

>>82327231
>I like your 19.2 system though, I gather that's just like the "B" thing except a new .number for every new set of stories? Like when I have five "Season 20B" folders in a row, you'd have 20.1, 20.2, 20.3, 20.4, 20.5?
Exactly. And, because the number comes at the left end and is a pure number, it doesn't confuse Windows Explorer or Mac Finder or my DLNA server or Kodi client or anything else that wants to try to be too clever about "natural sorting".

>>82327231
>Is the Big Finish app any good, I've heard people load pirated stories onto it.
The 1.0 version was terrible, but easy to load pirated stuff into. The current version is halfway decent, but now it's harder to load pirated stuff into (or even legitimate stuff that you bought on CD and ripped yourself).

If anyone really wants to do it, and has a jailbroken iPhone, and is on Linux or Mac (or on Windows but knows knows how to cygwin), I could try to clean up my scripts and write some instructions for how to get setup to run them.
>>
>>82327465
>now it's harder to load pirated stuff into (or even legitimate stuff that you bought on CD and ripped yourself).
… or even legitimate stuff that you bought as downloads from Big Finish before installing the app, unless you're willing to redo the download, which is pretty annoying, especially when you're on vacation in a foreign country and paying almost a euro per megabyte, and Apple and Spotify have a special deal with your telco but of course Big Finish doesn't.
>>
>>82327465
I doubt it was simply that; if you look at is Facebook page he's constantly being bombarded with requests/complaints/suggestions about the spin-offs, and I think it was somewhat of a "I'm putting my foot down" moment.
>>
>>82327465
>If anyone really wants to do it, and has a jailbroken iPhone, and is on Linux or Mac (or on Windows but knows knows how to cygwin), I could try to clean up my scripts and write some instructions for how to get setup to run them.
Sure, I'd love that. I've been putting off organizing the audios anyway, so this could be a great chance to finally clean them up.
>>
>>82327465
>Exactly. And, because the number comes at the left end and is a pure number, it doesn't confuse Windows Explorer or Mac Finder or my DLNA server or Kodi client or anything else that wants to try to be too clever about "natural sorting".

Hmmmmmmm. It's definitely a superior system than mine. I'll probably adopt it, will just be a pain to rename things.

>>82327566
I wonder if there are any people working out these elaborate timelines and just not sharing them with the net like eyespider/clive banks/bradley.

>>82327603
On the subject of organising audios, I want to upload some of my collection here at some point because there were a lot of old audios only on dead torrents that I had to grab and clean up from VK, but I probably won't do that until the offseason when I can tidy stuff up a bit more and add some other things.
>>
>>82327418
>tfw capaldi won't be alive for the 100th special
>>
Doctor Who goes over 50 years without mentioning the Christ. Mentions Jesus finally in the last episode. Only to say he was kangz. Gross.
>>
>>82327724
jesus has been mentioned before, anon
>>
>>82327714
Matt Smith should be, and I could see some some of reprisal of the Curator scene with him. Could be a nice nod to the 50th and the show's legacy.
>>
>Although "whitewashed" by history, Jesus was, in fact, black, according to the Twelfth Doctor.
Tardis wiki in charge of understanding english
"bit more black" doesn't mean "literal african black"
>>
>>82327724
8 literally said he took Da Vinci to watch the birth of Christ.
>>
>>82327745
So which miracles did the Doctor witness when he went there?
>>
>>82327652
Given the amount of autistic organization and obsessive pattern identifying it inspires in me, someone who simply follows the guides, I imagine someone must. I'd do it myself, but I don't have the time or the willpower.
>>
>>82327724
He was mentioned last season m8.
>I'm over two thousand years old. I'm old enough to be your Messiah.

Also the people singing The Old, Rugged Cross in Gridlock and the Christian eunuch in The Romans.
>>
>>82327808
>Given the amount of autistic organization and obsessive pattern identifying it inspires in me

It's weird isn't it, I'm not really like this with other things, but Doctor Who brings it out in me too.
>>
>>82327803
8 isn't canon. We all know that the Doctor is Gallifrey's Christ. Also, Flint AKA Da Vinci is older than the Doctor and lives in outer space. Star Trek is more canon than 8th Doctor.
>>
>>82327805
birth and resurrection

>The Tenth Doctor hinted to have been present at Jesus's birth (TV: Voyage of the Damned) and to remember what really happened at the first Easter. (TV: Planet of the Dead) The Eighth Doctor claimed to have attended the first Christmas in Bethlehem. (AUDIO: Relative Dimensions)
>>
Alex Mae
>>
>>82327603
What platform are you on, and how much terminal (and ideally Python) knowledge do you have? Not sure when I'll get to it, but I'll try to put it on my list for this weekend.

>>I'll probably adopt it, will just be a pain to rename things.
That's why I write scripts for everything. When I switched from just keeping the BF names but injecting a ton of custom metadata tags that QuodLibet can use to renaming the files and creating folders full of symlinks, the script doesn't care whether there's 30 files or 3000.
>>
Holy shit now he's being judged by a violent negress. 90% chance she kills him in order that the replacement will come about.
>>
>>82327853
8 didn't actually watch it. He took Da Vinci there but he pussed out saying "he didn't want to know for sure what the truth was." So they went back.
>>
>>82327919
He didn't wipe Da Vinci's memory though because only females and negroes require such tactics.
>>
>>82327652
>I wonder if there are any people working out these elaborate timelines and just not sharing them with the net like eyespider/clive banks/bradley.
If you look at the not-BF forums (or the archives of the old BF forums), you see a lot of people posting bits of their own timelines.

>On the subject of organising audios, I want to upload some of my collection here at some point
That would be great. I keep meaning to go through and find all the ones that have damaged files and search for replacements for them, but if I can wait a bit and find all those replacements in a single place, that would be a lot nicer.
>>
>>82327835
I like sorting and organizing things anyway, but Who really rustles my jimmies; once I discovered eyespider, I stopped dead in the middle of my Classic watch through so I could start from the beginning again, including everything this time around.

Speaking of that, just finished The Libary of Alexandria. I think this story would have worked way better as a pure historical, in the vein of Farewell Great Macedon. The Mnem were meh monsters, although I thought their defeat was pretty clever. The Ian/Barbara/Hypatia triangle was also good fun. Love me some Ian/Barbara jealousy.
>>
>>82327960
He didn't need to wipe it because they didn't see anything. They arrived in Bethlehem at the right time but never went to see the birth.
>>
>>82327989
When you say everything, do you mean...everything? That's quite the undertaking, I'm quite impressed.

How are 1's audios in general, I'm going to do a Classic Rewatch soon and include 5+6+7s audios but am undecided on including Companion Chronicle stuff for earlier Doctors as well.
>>
>>82327989
>Love me some Ian/Barbara jealousy.
Have you ever noticed that some reviewers/critics seem to think Ian is jealous of the Doctor over Barbara, but nobody who writes MA/PDA/BF does? I think the reviewers are on crack, but I would still love to see a story where part of the focus is on Ian worrying that he won't be able to pull Barbara away from the Doctor if he leaves.

>I like sorting and organizing things anyway, but Who really rustles my jimmies; once I discovered eyespider, I stopped dead in the middle of my Classic watch through so I could start from the beginning again, including everything this time around.
I can't imagine doing that. I need to mix things up, like interleaving reading through the BNAs, and listening to the early BF specials, and watching NuWho S5 (as well as non-Who stuff, of course).

If I'd been doing my complete NA readthrough without interleaving it with anything else, I probably wouldn't got burned out in the middle of Deceit or Iceberg.

Of course a smarter thing to do would be to skip the ones I know are going to suck, especially the ones I actually read back in the 90s and hated. But then I wouldn't feel like I'd actually done a full read and I'd feel the need to come back and do it again in a few years.
>>
>>82328037
I mean everything. It's really autistic, but I'm kinda proud of myself for it. It's kind of a mixed bag in my opinion. Some ae incredible, like Farewell Great Macedon, which is a pure historical that features Alexander the Great, or The Age of Endurance, which features a full cast (which is rare for a 1 audio) and is incredibly fast paced, not unlike a NuWho story. Others are just plain boring, like The Sleeping Blood or The Transit of Venus. Of course, everyone preferences are different, but since you're asking me, I say it's a mixed bad.

>>82328157
I'll be honest, I've never noticed that before, but I usally read very few reviews. I don't get that vibe at all; the jealousy I usually pick up on is usually secondary characters, like in The Daleks or Farewell Great Macedon.

I admittedly take breaks; I don't think I could get through everything if I didn't. For example, I'm still keeping up with S10 even though it's "way ahead" in my chronological runthrough.
>>
>>82328037
>>82328271
Bag, not bad. Sorry.
>>
>>82328271
I think that's great you're going through everything, I certainly don't have the cajones for it.

When I get around to my Classic rewatch I might just ask around here for thoughts on 1/2/3 audios to try too, like Farewell Great Macedon does sound great but I don't have it in me to push through all of them like you.
>>
>>82328320
They key for me is to be patient and enjoy where I'm at. I'm not so autistic as to obsess over what's ahead. Fair enough; if you're gonna do that, just figure out which few are GOAT and listen to those.
>>
File: kilgrave.png (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
kilgrave.png
1MB, 1600x1200px
Wew, just saw Tennant in Jessica Jones for the first time. How fucked am I? Is this another Tennant character for the wank bank?
>>
>>82328489
Arguably his best performance in years. Just wait until later episodes.
>>
>>82328320
I can't imagine doing a full classic rewatch. I had a flatmate who I got into Doctor Who with the new series, then a few selected classic stories, then he wanted to watch the whole thing. I couldn't get past S2.

I had a lot more fun the last time I did S1 with a handful of novels (I think Frayed, Campaign, Time Travelers), audios (Macedon and another one), and short stories (I forget which). That was enough 1/Ian/Babs for me for in one go, and then I did some interleaved 5/Peri(/Erimem) and 7/Ace(/Hex|/Benny).
>>
remember the time we found cloister's reddit account and found all those creepy comments in porn subreddits? anyone got that link?
>>
>>82328675
Stop trying to shit up the general, it's actually decent right now

>>82328650
Would it be fine to start watching the classic seasons starting with Tom Baker?
>>
>>82328675
Trip drama is over for the evening. Go to bed.
>>
What is Sarah Dollards agenda? why does she despise her own race so much? why does she want to pander to black people? what does she get out of it?
>>
>>82328715
But it's hardly supper time.
>>
>>82328712
>Would it be fine to start watching the classic seasons starting with Tom Baker?
Sure, there's a reason he's generally the most popular with people who aren't classic Who fans.

But I don't think you really need to watch whole seasons in the first place. There are only a handful of arcs that actually matter across the 26 years. So you might do better off watching a range of the best stories from across the eras, and then you can dive deeper into whatever you're most interested in.
>>
>>82328731
>despising racism means despising white people
t. Cletus
>>
>>82328731
Muh evil white men. Radical Feminists like Dollard hate white men that's all you need to know and to give the middle finger to white men they even side with non white men usually Muslims who are more oppressive to women than any white man. They are out for revenge. Simple as. Jokes on them however when they end up in Hijabs when our Muslim overlords take command..
>>
>>82328762
WE WUZ LAWD JESUS N 'SHIET.
>>
>>82328762
There is very little evidence to support the majority of white Europeans even rich white men were still racist by the early 1800's in comparison to Islamic regions and East Asian areas, Europe had become a tolerant place. All I see is the rewriting of history to falsely make whites look worse than they were.
>>
>>82328807
>WE WUZ memes
t. Cletus
>>
>>82328855
There was literally one racist person in the episode. Notice how the street urchins were mixed.
>>
>>82328731
>>82328784
>tfw too stupid to alt-right
Seriously, you don't even have actual reactions to things, you're just searching for things to get triggered about without thinking. You are the exactly the same as the worst of the SJWs, and neither you nor they have anything to offer the rest of the world.

Can we just build a big cage somewhere and send all of these idiots from both sides to fight each other to the death, and then lock the doors so the winner starves?
>>
>>82328860
WE WUZ SPARTANS
WE WUZ GREAT
>>
What are you listening to, /who/?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_izt7vlJKM0
>>
>>82329571
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsjzcT1QKYs
>>
>>82329571
Twice in a night? Calm down you smug racist prick. omg.
>>
>>82329571
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11S648VAM8&

Incoming art in a few minutes, lads.
>>
>>82329708
I just had BT come up randomly on Spotify:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Rre5HPV0bI
>>
Capaldi's old band is a fun listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P7e3PMear0 Craig Ferguson was the regular drummer but not on this EP

Wish Capaldi had done more with music tb h
>>
>>82328905
You're the retard for taking the bait from trolls.
>>
Reminder Doctor Who Magazine is out today with previews for Knock Knock, Oxygen, Extremis PYATEOTW and Lie of the Land.
>>
File: 10tattoo.png (2MB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
10tattoo.png
2MB, 1440x1440px
Filled art prompt: "ten with a tribal sun tramp stamp" - Cloister !WRAITHqJxE

You sure ask for some pretty borderline gay stuff, Cloister. I'm not complaining but wew lad is there something you're not telling us

>This is pretty saucy, but there's no dong, so this still counts as sfw right...?
>>
>>82330376
>reopening a conversation that ended an hour ago
>to call the poster who ended it a retard for taking bait
Nice one, anon.

Next you should try insulting the people who shut down the trip-warring a few hours before that one, maybe you can get that one going again too.
>>
File: 1471507719458.jpg (57KB, 944x629px) Image search: [Google]
1471507719458.jpg
57KB, 944x629px
>>82330405
Hype. I thought it was just previews for Knock/Oxygen/Extremis/Pyramid though, and not Lie of the Land too.
>>
File: waxwork.jpg (198KB, 1000x665px) Image search: [Google]
waxwork.jpg
198KB, 1000x665px
>>82330480
>pic
top lel
>>
Just finished watching the first episode of the latest season. Capaldi is still GOAT. So far i don't like the new companion but its too early to say. The cinematography is top fucking notch tho

what are /who's/ thoughts on the new season and the new companion?
>>
Should /who/ attempt to make a timeline guide, collaboratively?
>>
>>82330654
Bill makes Capaldi better, in a way Clara doesn't except the last 3 episodes. She raises questions in a way that Moffat can deal with them instead of just pushing them in our face repeatedly like in S8. So even though she isn't as much fun in herself as Clara, I think she makes S10 better than S8-9. At least so far. And I really look forward to see how Nardole will fit in when he "steps out of the background" in E4-5 as Lucas said in interview.
>>
>>82330654
>The cinematography is top fucking notch tho

I'm very happy seeing non-Talalay stories actually using the visuals in the storytelling. The Pilot was fantastic for this especially. Talalay is great but the show shouldn't only have good-looking episodes when she helms them.
>>
>>82330838
How did Moffat find Lawrence Gough and Bill Anderson, anyway? It seems, other than Talalay, and Adam Smith and the other one from S5 whose name I forget, everyone he uses is are sort of obvious people hanging around the two production companies associated with BBC Wales.

But these guys are a young indie director from Scotland and an established BBC period-action guy from London, which seems like exactly what you'd want for these first two blocks, and exactly what Moffat hasn't been able to find for the last 4 years.
>>
>>82330970
I don't know, but I'd very much like to know. Has DWM had any interviews with them or anything?

I love that Talalay will end up having directed all 3 of Capaldi's finale 2-parters, there's a lovely neatness to that. He seems to really like working with her too, in those behind-the-scenes things on YouTube he talks highly of her.

Will be interesting to see Chibs' ideas on what directors to use.
>>
>>82330445
BUTT
U
T
T
>>
>>82326533
>Audio General edition. What are you listening to?
I listened to The Sandman today.
>>
File: 1483653976542.jpg (20KB, 182x268px) Image search: [Google]
1483653976542.jpg
20KB, 182x268px
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0825347/

>Directed by Rachel Talalay
>Starring Nardole
>Starring Gatiss
>Starring MacQueen

Could it be kino?
>>
>>82327418
>calls themselves "countdown anon"
>is a trip
>>
>>82331449
pam pam pam pam pam pam pam pam
pam pam pam pam pam
>>
>>82330445
This is incredibly, incredibly gay, even by /who/ standards, but it's a very nice job
>>
who wrote the Satan Pit/Impossible Planet? and why the hell haven't they written another episode since?
>>
>>82331485
Incredibly so. Thank you, Anon

Also here's the version without the tattoo:
http://imgur.com/a/AnhjA
>>
>>82331568
Oh yeah, quite the nice episode.
>>
>>82331459
It's actually kind of a weird adaptation. It's clearly going for the same "family entertainment" target as Doctor Who, but it's neither as friendly to young children nor as deep for adults as Doctor Who (at its best, at least).

But it's not bad. And it's worth watching, if for no other reason than that it's the main reason people treat Matt Lucas as an actor rather than just a comedian.
>>
>>82331568
I feel like I'm seeing praise for this story in every /who/ thread lately. Is it always you bringing it up?
>>
File: pure danny.png (415KB, 494x510px) Image search: [Google]
pure danny.png
415KB, 494x510px
>>
>>82331568
"Matt Jones"

But in reality, RTD wrote most of it.

>>82331605
I might actually check it out then.

It's weird how so-so Talalay's film output is, when her work on DW is so great. I'm not just "oh Heaven Sent is the most kino story" ever memeing, I think her work on the s8 finale is underappreciated too.

>>82331610
Not impossible an anon keeps saying it, but it's always been a very well-regarded story. Tb h I think it and Girl in the Fireplace are the only really good stories in s2.
>>
File: 1466855455179.jpg (55KB, 714x459px) Image search: [Google]
1466855455179.jpg
55KB, 714x459px
>>82331613
since we're posting youtube screenshots, here's my favourite one.
>>
>>82331610
No first time i brought it up. Had a rewatch of it there, I still think the CGI for the Devil is good and its one of the best two parters ever made. We need darker episodes like it again.
>>
>>82331651
>still my favorite one from the thread
>>
>>82331660
> its one of the best two parters ever made

I agree, and I truly think it's the only Series 2 episode/s that completely works (Girl in the Fireplace is brilliant but fits very awkwardly into the context of the series). The Rose/10 relationship damages a lot of S2 stories, but in this 2parter, it works brilliantly.

>We need darker episodes like it again.

Lel, most people don't complain about Capaldi's era not being dark enough.
>>
Who were the ones who imprisoned the Devil anyway was it the Eternals?
>>
>>82330405
oh shit that sounds hype

SCHLEMM WHERE ARE YOU
>>
>>82331568
Matt Jones. He worked for RTD on Queer as Folk, and wrote a couple of good NAs, and then he was Paul Abbott's de facto co-showrunner on Shameless, so it's pretty obvious why RTD brought him in. But from The Writer's Tale, it doesn't sound like it worked very well, and RTD did his usual "stop talking to the writer and rewrite everything from scratch". He did write one Torchwood and one Dirk Gently (the Stephen Mangan one, not the new one) and a few other things.

But I think he's more interested in (and better at) being a producer than a writer. He was also a roving producer for Company Pictures off and on, and took over Skins when the creator was off developing the American remake, and other stuff like that.
>>
Anyone else consider the Racnoss being responsible for the creation of Earth to be retarded and non canon? I just can't take it seriously.
>>
File: 42.png (582KB, 913x709px) Image search: [Google]
42.png
582KB, 913x709px
PARADOX MY ASS
>>
>>82331647
I'm gonna have to go back and rewatch it, I don't know why but I remember not liking it at all. Girl in the Fireplace is probably the only story I really love in S2.
>>82331676
>tfw fucked up when trying to make a meme screenshot and it's still getting used

is this what it's like to see your child grow up and be successful? I feel like a proud parent
>>
How come (every episode of) every series now uses a shitty "gimmick"?
Series 8: GoPro-like angle
Series 9: (I've forgotten, desu, but it's something like slow-mo)
Series 10: Flash-backs
>>
>>82331897
>RTD did his usual "stop talking to the writer and rewrite everything from scratch"

I liked how, in my experience of reading "The Writer's Tale" at least, this went from "interesting bit of gossip", to "endearing quirk", to "signifier of underlying issues" in my thoughts of RTD. The man is a deserved titan of TV, and I'm a big fan of his work (Who and otherwise) but his methods really aren't healthy. I thought my procrastination hang-ups were unhealthy but his were bloody insane.
>>
>>82331775
It was the Disciples of Light, who constructed his prison while the universe was being created.

As far as I know, they're not mentioned anywhere else. But if you want to fit them into novel continuity, with the idea that the Guardians are the 6 most powerful members of whoever were the effective Time Lords at the end of the last universe, it's not too difficult. Some of the followers of the guy who became the White Guardian outlived the previous universe with him, but didn't get to enter this universe and become gods with him.
>>
>>82331963
>Series 9: (I've forgotten

Great insight anon, really comprehensive.
>>
>>82331963
>Series 8: GoPro-like angle
when?
>>
File: 1493599921841.png (80KB, 315x277px) Image search: [Google]
1493599921841.png
80KB, 315x277px
>>82331471
>implying i'm going to use the trip outside of the countdown
>>
>>82331918
It's a good screencap anon, it kills me every time

10/10
>>
>>82331963
lmao what are you even talking about, if "every episode of every series" uses a gimmick how come you can only list 2 out of ~35 episodes

also flashbacks really aren't a gimmick, they're an ancient storytelling device
>>
>>82332035
In all 3 episodes this series we've had flashbacks to events from fucking minutes ago. Is it for normies or children who can't pay some goddman attention?
>>
>>82332080
m8 the first episode of the fucking wire does the same thing, it's hardly some egregious thing
>>
File: Captura de Ecrã (8698).png (905KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Captura de Ecrã (8698).png
905KB, 1366x768px
>>82332005
>>
>>82332080
That's not a gimmick, it's just lazy/pandering storytelling. Nobody is going "wow check out that show with the flashbacks". It ain't a gimmick.
>>
>>82331912
Doctor Who "canon" is full of ridiculous things like this.

The Daemons and the Osirans are both responsible for the evolution of humanity, and drove our technological development (and so did Scaroth, and the Silence), and are responsible for all of our myths about gods (and so is the Beast).

We look like Time Lords because Rassilon seeded the universe with "biodata" to change the "morphic field" that influences both evolution of species and development of individuals.

The Moon showed up a few million years ago and scared the Silurians underground. (And it's an egg.) And that was in the time of hominid apes, and dinosaurs, and Silurian early land-based life. And rather than continental drift, there was a single change from Pangaea to exactly what we have today.

Earth had a twin planet on the opposite side of the sun which is identical except upside down and a few decades ahead in its billions of years of history, until it got knocked out of the solar system. The inhabitants then drove it around like a car, until they tried to steal our energy by crashing into our planet, but their planet exploded.

The universe was created by a spaceship that drifted back to the beginning of time and blew up.

And so on.

And the Racnoss is where you draw the line and say that's too much?
>>
>>82332104
Doesn't feel like a (tentative, ofc) piece of artwork that way, it feels like it's being made for children.
>>
>>82332113
I don't understand what's wrong with it, it's just a somewhat inventive way to do a low-angle shot to make the Cybermen look all dominant/commanding/scary.

>>82332141
Doctor Who is made, partially, for children. It's a family show.
>>
>>82332166
I love low angles, but a fisheyed lens is just cancer.
>>
>>82332020
I never implied that, "anon"
>>
>>82331647
I loved her work on Tank Girl, but I know not many people agree with me (including Talalay herself).

Anyway, somewhere (I think the Flash S2 season preview show?) there's an interview with Greg Berlanti about her, where he says that she's a good horror director and a good children's director at the same time, and if there were more projects that needed both of those at once she'd be the most famous director in the world. I don't think he was talking about Doctor Who, but he might as well have been.
>>
>>82332190
Fair enough if that's your preference, but it's pretty reductive to call out every use of a fisheyed lens as cancerous.
>>
>>82331963
>every episode
>Series 8: one example of a different lens
>Series 9: literally fucking nothing
>Series 10: regular storytelling device
>>
>>82332211
I might check it (Tank Girl) out then.

Doctor Who definitely works when it's blending aiming for horror and at children, especially Moffat, so her fitting in well with the Moff/Capaldi era makes sense. Nice quote from Berlanti on her.
>>
>>82332201
>he hasn't seen people use "(action) anon" as a trip before
>>
>>82332226
Pretty neat how she's directed all of Capaldi's finales. Has that happened before, where a director is responsible for every finale of one particular Doctor? Eccles doesn't count.
>>
>>82331976
Yeah, by the time I finished it, I couldn't understand how he made it through 2009 without a nervous breakdown and/or fatal heart attack, even with Chibnall and Ford taking up the slack for him on TW and SJA without any ego problems.

I guess that's part of what makes The Writer's Tale so much more fascinating than things like the Terrance Dicks book that I forget the name of. Other writers either find ways to manage the stress, or they fail; RTD just kept making things more stressful for himself but kept powering through anyway.
>>
>>82332217
I don't mind flash-backs as a whole. It's just annoying to me when in The Pilot they use them like 3 times total.
>>
anyone know where i can get a pdf of the writer's tale?
>>
>>82332350
It's weird getting such deep insight into that part of the man's life, then the book just ending. What's he like now? How was working on Cucumber? Or what was it like before, for Series 1, or The Second Coming? Shame there will be nothing similar with Moff, book-wise I mean. The Writer's Tale really is a unique thing.

>>82332382
Make sure to get "The Writer's Tale: The Final Chapter".

http://bookzz.org/dl/2695807/ae1c4b < Not sure if that link is the Final Chapter version or not
>>
>>82332352
Yeah they've been particularly noticeable this season. Personally I think the worst instance of it was the hat in Thin Ice.

Flashing back to something that happened mere minutes ago is such lazy storytelling and pretty patronising to the audience.
>>
you know moff is doing something right when the only thing /who/ is complaining about is fucking flashbacks
>>
>>82332458
No complaints of this season insofar.
>>
>>82332458
You sound really pissy about people discussing the show, anon.
>>
>>82332458
>/who/ 's only complaints are flashbacks
lol wot have you even been here?
>>
>>82332470
>season
>>
>>82332339
I think Barry Letts was the de facto director or codirector on four of five Pertwee finales and cowriter on five of five, which is pretty impressive.
>>
Holy shit, someone actually had a copy of Perfect Timing 2?
>>
>>82332412
If we'd had kind of access into his head during the time from late in Miracle Day until the start of Wizards v. Aliens, when his husband was diagnosed with cancer and then his career reboot stalled out after they went home to Wales, that could be pretty depressing.
>>
>>82332412
that link ain't it
>>
From the latest DWM

Extremis: Old Frenemy Missy played by the ever wonderful Michelle Gomez returns in Extremis written by Stephen Moffat. Extremis introduces the book known as the Veritas a book of unknown origins which prompts anyone who reads it to commit suicide shortly after. To make matters worse someone has uploaded a digital copy of the book online. The danger is spreading, hundreds of people are taking their lives by the hour and a desperate Vatican contacts the Doctor to help put a stop to it. The Doctor is joined by Missy as the two Time Lords work together in an attempt to uncover the mysteries of the Veritas.
>>
>>82332550
That's true. Still, it's an odd feeling being so deep in a man's mind just for the few years he decided to publish e-mail correspondence for.

The book was actually pretty helpful to me because, when I was reading it, I was still in uni and doing a course on the psychology of creativity - the professor was very much of the mind that it's a process, not any romantic or muse kind of mindset, and RTD made for a really interesting case study with all his neurosis around writing.

Interesting how RTD never took Moff's offer of writing a story up. I don't think Moff will for Chibs either, but I don't see Moff never writing a DW story again, whereas I do for RTD.

>>82332617
I had a squiz around other sites and couldn't find a PDF of the updated Final Chapter copy anywhere, sorry. My copy is a physical one. I'm sure the OG copy is still a good read, just kinda incomplete.

>>82332648
Very excited for this 3parter.
>>
>>82332648
I wonder how the Vatican know of the Doctor. Are we going to have some awkward line about how he plays golf with the Pope or something.

Anyway, I'm very interested to see how the three-parter turns out
>>
>>82332686
>Are we going to have some awkward line about how he plays golf with the Pope or something.

We both know the answer anon
>>
>>82332686
>he plays cricket
Fixed it for you.
>>
File: 10rosehandhold.gif (793KB, 270x152px) Image search: [Google]
10rosehandhold.gif
793KB, 270x152px
Man, night!who is so comfy.

>actual show discussion
>oc
>trips and anons living in harmony, no bitchin' in /who/'s kitchen
>minimal shitposting

lads why can't we always be like this
>>
Is it just me or is that Fan show host literally the most annoying human avatar of the fandom that could have possibly come into existence? Her voice kills my ears.
>>
>>82332412
where were you a month ago when I ended up just buying it?
>>
>>82332412
There is nothing I want more than a Moffat equivalent of The Writer's Tale. If I had to pick two years like how RTD's covered S4 and the year of specials I'd go with S6 and S7. What must have been going on in his head during those two series', the 50th, and Sherlock. It would be really interesting, but I am pretty biased since 11 is my favourite Doctor. I'd be fascinated with that level of insight into a series of his.
>>
File: 1485387205479.gif (2MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1485387205479.gif
2MB, 600x338px
>>82332777
Christel?

>>82332714
Reminds me of offseason threads.

>>82332783
For future reference, bookzz.org and gen.lib.rus.ec are the best sites to get books in my experience

I have a hard copy too and am happy with it though, especially since it's the Final Chapter version
>>
>>82332777
wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqpzv6v5KBM
>>
>>82332226
Well, Tank Girl is definitely not a good movie, but you can have fun watching it anyway.

The script is a mess. It's hard to follow for people who don't know the comic, but gets everything wrong for people who know it too well. And it jumps all over without connecting anything up, and some of the lines don't make any sense at all.

Talalay tries to make a virtue of the disconnected and nonsensical script, and it almost works. And I think it might have worked if they hadn't forced her to make it "less crazy". But the movie wasn't popular enough for a director's cut, so we only get a couple of clips to show us what it might have looked like.

>>82332661
It's funny how almost all of the classic script editors (and some of the producers) came back and wrote for the show later, but now it doesn't feel like a "normal" thing to do because RTD cut himself off so hard from Doctor Who.

It would be hilarious if RTD "returned" by writing a Big Finish under a pseudonym with Briggs sworn to secrecy, or something like that…

>>82332661
>>82332617
I'm pretty sure I found a torrent for it on one of the major sites a few years ago, after I lent out my physical copy and never got it back, but I don't know which site (or if that torrent would still be alive). But the hard drive my PDF was on is dead, so I'm useless.
>>
File: 1482547437660.gif (3MB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
1482547437660.gif
3MB, 600x338px
>>82332833
I didn't like S6 or S7 particularly but I agree they'd be the best years to read about, especially if the book covered Sherlock too yeah.

Apparently there's a 2013 special DWM that covers a lot of behind the scenes stuff of the year, I might try and get it

>>82332853
>It would be hilarious if RTD "returned" by writing a Big Finish under a pseudonym with Briggs sworn to secrecy, or something like that…

"Edward Collier" wrote the (mediocre) "Satanic Mill" audio and appears to be a fake name but no way was it RTD, heh.

RTD did cut himself off quite hard. I don't know why. Any thoughts? He wrote 11 well in TSJA at least.
>>
Pearl Mackie can't act. Sarah Dollard write. Freema Aggyman can act, Paul Cornell can write.
>>
>>82332833
What I'd love to see is a Moffat equivalent of The Making of Doctor Who. Hulke and Dicks wrote a sort of history of the show and their involvement in it, but then Target asked Dicks to rewrite it in a style more like his novelisations. It's bizarre enough to read a script-to-screen account written to the under-10 market, but imagining the NuWho process, and Moffat's writing instead of Dicks'… I can't even imagine what that would be like, but I want to.
>>
>>82332950
>Sarah Dollard write.

Looks like you're the one who can't write.
>>
>>82332648
can you get the rest?
>>
>>82327062
What player is that?
please don't be itunes

please be available on linux
>>
>>82332648
Sounds VNA level dark.
>>
>>82332995
"Musicbee". Very customisable. I like it a lot.
>>
>>82332648
I'm hype as hell for this 3 parter but whenever I hear the part about the Veritas being uploaded to the internet I just think of that quote from the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie
>She's been preying on ships and settlements for near ten years.Never leaves any survivors.
>No survivors? Then where do the stories come from, I wonder?
>>82332905
No yeah S6 and S7 aren't the greatest. I did just say that because it would be the most interesting time period probably. S7 to S8 would be pretty cool too. Seeing how Moffat deals with a change in Doctors
>>82332963
I've never heard of The Making of Doctor Who, I'll have to give it a go. Sounds interesting in a weird way.
>>
I would plunge my 8.78 inch cock into Sarah Tollards tight neglected arse. The power of my cock would rival the force of the Tardis lading on Earth without stabilizers. She would finally know what it was to be loved by a whiteman after years of rejection. Everything would become clear and she would rejoin the ranks of the center left once again putting aside her hatred of white men. Sarah you are loved and my dick awaits to serve you and bring you to peace m'lady.
>>
Which Doctor do you think got the best audio treatment?

Personally, I say 8. Paul McGann went from being pretty ok, to being my favorite doctor.
>>
>>82333160
War Doctor in my opinion. And while not perfect the 9th Doctor audios done by briggs are pretty GOAT.
>>
>>82333160
The Warner Doctor
>>
File: 1482369559758.gif (1MB, 382x215px) Image search: [Google]
1482369559758.gif
1MB, 382x215px
>>82333178
>>
>>82333178
>>82333183
I've not actually listened to any of the War Doctor audios. I take it they're good then? What's a good place to start?
>>
>>82333160
Not even Doom Coalition is enough to sully my good opinion on how well 8's been served.

6 and 7 have been particularly well served by how BF could craft their own arcs for them. 5 less so, since most of his stuff is stuck tightly in between televised episodes, or awkwardly/nonsensically big arcs are shoved where they shouldn't be (Peri).

10s audios were pretty good but I mean, we're looking at 3 stories compared to the other Doctor's hundreds.

4s aren't great.

>>82333220
They're legitimately terrible, I do not recommend them in the slightest. The characterisation is nonsensical. The plots are beyond derivative. They are utterly devoid of any creativity. The sole positive trait is that Hurt's performance is pretty good.
>>
I predict Doctor who will be put on hold after series 13 for at least five years. It will allow fans to hunger for more, and for an actual second relaunch to occur. Because lets face it the show is getting tired and no amount of sugar coating can hide it. Finish with Marshall then relaunch it with Chris Eccleston esque promos in the mid 2020's with Patterson Joseph as the Doctor.
>>
>>82333263
>The characterisation is nonsensical.
In what way? In the sense that it's not befitting of how broken the character is supposed to be? Or in the sense that it's inconsistent (either internally, or compared to the Day of the Doctor)?
>>
Hahaha nobody has thought how awkward it's gonna be when a blackman is a Doctor and the new companion asks where he got the Tardis and he says ''I stole it'' LMAO.
>>
File: 1492999974129.gif (1MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
1492999974129.gif
1MB, 426x240px
>>82333345
...Oh dear.
>>
>>82333325
Both really.

For your first point, it's rumoured the BBC flat-out told them they couldn't make him especially dark, but whether that's true or not, it's egregious how the War Doctor in these audios never acts any more "war-y" than 7, 10, etc. If the War Doctor wasn't allowed to be at all dark in these audios, fine, at least they could have creative Time War stor-oh wait, it's just endless Dalekspam, and not even well-written Dalekspam.

For your second point, they essentially retread the exact same arc he goes through in the 50th, but earlier chronologically, which retroactively makes his characterisation in the 50th makes no sense. They also just write it far less skilfully (and it wasn't even masterful or anything in the 50th) and seem to forget he's a character instead of a proxy for their plots at all at times.
>>
>>82333374
>For your second point, they essentially retread the exact same arc he goes through in the 50th, but earlier chronologically, which retroactively makes his characterisation in the 50th makes no sense.
I seem to recall they actually built up to him being willing to destroy the Time Lords.
>>
>>82332905
>RTD did cut himself off quite hard. I don't know why. Any thoughts?
I can't remember what the exact quote was now but I remember reading him saying something like watching Doctor Who now is like seeing your ex with someone new (I actually don't think it was that at all. I can't remember the analogy, maybe something to do with weddings?)

Anyway, yeah, I think he's just very possessive about the show and so would probably feel conflicted working on it again.
>>
>>82333160
They completely developed him to make his character likable
>>
>>82333504
Engines of War does a better job of that. The audios truck far too much with "he was the Doctor all along, regardless of his [lack of] name".
>>
File: 1461924297373.jpg (1MB, 848x1184px) Image search: [Google]
1461924297373.jpg
1MB, 848x1184px
>>82333220
I only have the first boxset and it was pretty standard dalek stories, quite generic. I'd still recommend it just for the novelty of hearing more of Hurt's Doctor though.
>>
>>82333345
I'll tell you a little secret about why that won't be a problem: writers have complete control over what their characters say
>>
>>82333374
>For your first point, it's rumoured the BBC flat-out told them they couldn't make him especially dark, but whether that's true or not, it's egregious how the War Doctor in these audios never acts any more "war-y" than 7, 10, etc
But to be fair, Moffat did that himself with Day of the Doctor so it fits completely within his characterisation. Actually, the audio lets him be more monstrous than we ever see on screen.
>>
>>82333624
I think the character is fundamentally flawed honestly. I'm not a fan of the character at all (though I enjoyed Hurt's performance and the 50th), but he was much worse in the audios than the 50th. I've heard he's deployed well in "Seasons of War" though.

>But to be fair, Moffat did that himself with Day of the Doctor so it fits completely within his characterisation

The audios happen before the 50th though. It's implied - no it's not even implied, it's beyond subtext - that in between Night and Day of the Doctor, the War Doctor did a lot of things so notably bad that he wasn't comfortable calling himself the Doctor. But he never does anything in the audios worse than other Doctors have.
>>
File: sT5iU6wcM5M.jpg (92KB, 540x550px) Image search: [Google]
sT5iU6wcM5M.jpg
92KB, 540x550px
>>
File: 1484698404453.jpg (3MB, 3731x3731px) Image search: [Google]
1484698404453.jpg
3MB, 3731x3731px
>>82333721
Is there a more comfy audio? I always have a re-listen around Christmas time.
>>
>>82333662
>It's implied - no it's not even implied, it's beyond subtext - that in between Night and Day of the Doctor, the War Doctor did a lot of things so notably bad that he wasn't comfortable calling himself the Doctor.
That's just a lazy argument fans came up with to excuse Moffat's bad writing. He's built up as being this terrible warrior version of the Doctor in NotD but then when we actually see him he's this cuddly little grandpa. The whole "oh he actually did loads of terrible stuff before, trust me" is weak and always has been.

>But he never does anything in the audios worse than other Doctors have.
Same goes for the show. The worst thing we see him do is kill one dalek I think, which is trivial compared to what other incarnations have done.

I'm not really disagreeing with you. I don't think the audios are great, and the characterisation of the War Doctor is hugely mishandled overall, but you can't really blame BF for writing War Doctor in the same way that Moffat wrote him. The scene where he shouts in the boat is unironically more cruel and unDoctorerly than anything he did in DotD.
>>
>>82333583
Fairly certain it's as standard a tradition as "it's bigger on the inside"
>>
>>82333662
It would have been great to get an audio with an actual good idea like perhaps a story where the war doctor out-evils the master and kills a bunch of people to fuck up the daleks
>>
>>82333774
Yeah we're agreeing really, just approaching the topic from different angles. I think you can feel that the character is essentially born of a staffing problem, the fact Eccleston didn't come on-board (though Moff still believed so late in the process he would that we have storyboards drawn with Eccleston still in - http://imgur.com/a/IrsmU ) because there are hard-to-reconcile issues like what you describe.

And I completely agree that the 50th failed the character in the same way the audios did. The audios just, understandably, failed him...longer.

I think the audios should have concentrated on being weird stories since they couldn't really be dark. But they're typical Briggs fare for the most part (regardless of whether Briggs himself or just one of his cronies is writing them). Some surreal, mindbending stuff would have suited better. Scherzo and some of the weirder Wilderness novels would have been better inspirations than "Dalek story #234092840284032482304820348204" and "Dalek story #329840328402384023842-3".
>>
>>82333800
It's not, but even if it was I'll let you in on another little secret that shows why that wouldn't be a problem: writers can choose to write different lines
>>
>>82333838
There's a couple of Eighth Doctor stories where he's pretty questionable and intimidating. It really shouldn't be difficult to have John Hurt outdo him.
>>
Even Marvel are all for the I Want to Break Free meme

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/05/03/queen-vs-hydra-secret-empire-1-major-marvel-character-meets-death-spoilers/
>>
http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/doctor-who-series-10-knock-knock-character-is-classic-companion-s-grandson
>>
>>82333910
“It was decided that, in 2017, people might not remember one companion from 40-odd years ago, so it got cut.”

We'd remember, BBC. We'd remember.
>>
>>82333872
My cynical assumption used to be that Moffat never really wanted Eccles to be the War Doctor and always wanted the excuse to do his "mayfly Doctor" idea (something he mentioned on those old forums years ago, about how cool it would be if a big celebrity played the Doctor just for one day). I think any other viewing of the situation fails to explain why Mcgann wasn't considered. His Doctor being the War Doctor would've made even more sense than Eccles.

I completely agree about the weird stories point. I really don't care about the daleks but I see the War Doctor as having this huge potential for telling really strange and different stories.
>>
>>82333962
You make a really good point with your mayfly observation...I'd never really considered what if Moffat didn't want Eccleston that much in the first place. Not considering McGann was bizarre, yeah. Even before I got into Big Finish, when I was younger, during 2005 and the early NewWho days, I assumed McGann fought in the Time War and Eccleston was the young new regen from when it ended. That always felt like the intuitive story move. Then when I listened to Big Finish, it really felt like they were carefully and skilfully transitioning the character into being suited for that.
>>
>>82333898
and?
>>
File: C-0SApkXgAAUMzR.jpg (439KB, 1311x1683px) Image search: [Google]
C-0SApkXgAAUMzR.jpg
439KB, 1311x1683px
>>
Does the war doctor ever jack off or does he live with blue balls throughout the whole thing? There's a time war going on, but is there enough time to press the pause button in the tardis and rub one out in the wank room? Does his cum taste different from the warrior shit?
>>
>>82334080
Can't wait for Schlemihl to upload it, he's the best.
>>
File: 1461924297374.jpg (18KB, 570x321px) Image search: [Google]
1461924297374.jpg
18KB, 570x321px
>>82334015
>Not considering McGann was bizarre, yeah
Right? I used to be really passionate about this but it's hard to continue to care about something from years ago. But it would've worked on so many levels. For the fans that aren't at all familiar with Mcgann, it would've still worked in the same way that Hurt (a completely unfamiliar Doctor) worked. And for those that do know Mcgann, that moment when he turns around and reveals himself in NotD would've been insane. It would've hyped and confused everybody. And it also works on a meta level, of course "the Doctor we don't talk about" should be Mcgann, the one Doctor who doesn't have his own era of television and most people forget. Not to mention the thematic purpose, the War Doctor acted as this intermediate Doctor between the classic series and the new, which fits Mcgann perfectly.

It's like the role was written for Mcgann, but I'd be surprised if Moffat ever seriously considered hiring him.
>>
I distinctly remember fantasizing about chewing up john hurt's wrinkles, burning him with a cigarette, and licking his asshole. It's a shame that he's only in one story with so little pause and rewind moments to get off to. There's something oddly hot about him.
>>
>>82334139
Couldn't agree with you more, even down to the "used to care about it a lot but now have kind of let it go cause I can't care this much about it forever". Nowadays I just do a vague sort of headcanon that "originally" it was 8, but Bad Wolf/The Moment changed the Doctor's timeline or something to include the Hurt Doctor for some reason. But up until the 50th, then the regen limit stuff of Time of the Doctor, NewWho works perfectly well under the idea of McGann being the Time War Doctor.

Here's something I bet annoyed you - the joke in the 50th where the Hurt Doctor asks 11 if there's a lot of kissing in the future, when 10 marries Elizabeth........................after 8, pre-Hurt, was the Doctor who started the big controversial "romantic kissing Doctor" thing.
>>
>>82334139
Paul does have the kind of range that would allow him to play that part. However, I'm not sure if the Eighth Doctor would truly have been capable of becoming a soldier.

>>82334217
His relationship with Rose is also a bit lamer if you consider it really isn't the first time he's actually fallen for a companion.
>>
>>82334267
The end of the EDA audios, and some of Dark Eyes (not the ending though, which always felt kind of wholesome to me honestly), felt like a move to get him to that point.

I agree on the Rose point I suppose, but BF did beat them to the idea with Charley.
>>
File: sarah dollard.jpg (89KB, 349x344px) Image search: [Google]
sarah dollard.jpg
89KB, 349x344px
>3.76
>>
File: DWM.png (143KB, 348x472px) Image search: [Google]
DWM.png
143KB, 348x472px
>>82333962
>>82334015
>>82334139
>So, if Christopher Eccleston had agreed to appear then it would have been him pushing the button to end the Time War?
>Yes but d'you know, I was always nervous of that one, because it doesn't fit with Rose at all
>I also had trouble, I have to be honest, imagining it being Paul McGanns Doctor

From an interview with Moffat in DWM #468, just out of interest
>>
>>82334459
Yeah, I know about this quote. Can't say I really get it because in the end none of the Doctors pressed the button, that's the whole point. So why couldn't it be Mcgann not pressing the button?
>>
>>82334486
Absolutely no idea, I agree with everything everyones said so far.
McGann would have been perfect
>>
>>82334486
I think that the point is that 8 wouldnt consider pressing the button
>>
>>82334313
drop that trip. you know you are emulating a known misogynist and pervert. what's wrong with you thinking that its ok to endorse that degenerate old creep
>>
>>82334645
this has been an excellent, very on topic thread and he has been ontopic for it. you are the one encouraging stupid trip drama now. please stop. please let us have this one good thread
>>
What's the worst audio and why?
>>
>>82334535
And 10 and 11 would? They are both prepared to do it in DotD.

I think the whole point of the episode and its retcon is that the Doctor, no matter what face they have, would never do it. So as far as I'm concerned, basically any of them could fill the role of "almost, but doesn't, reluctantly do it" (especially mcgann since not having a television era, or an ending, and BF being non-canon, means he could've been shaped to fit any situation really)
>>
Have they cast the next Doctor?

Stopped watching last season, might pick up again when Moffat leaves.
>>
>>82334816
Doubt it, otherwise it probably would've leaked or been announced by now.

When does filming on the Christmas special start?
>>
>>82334900
July wasnt it?
>>
>>82334754
Nekromanteia
>>
>>82334946
I've barely listened to 5's stories, so I don't know it. What's up with it?
>>
>>82334907
Oh well in that case I don't understand why we don't know who the next Doctor is yet
>>
>>82334754
>What's the worst audio and why?
By sound quality - audio visual's The Space Wail;
by everything else - Nekromanteia
>>
chronological anon here, currently watching season 12. I don't know how it's possible, but Capaldi and Tom Baker have exactly the same facial expressions. It's honestly like I'm watching them both at the same time, the effect is uncanny. The same could be said for the first three doctors as well, but I've especially noticed it with Baker.
>>
>>82335302
>I've barely listened to 5's stories, so I don't know it. What's up with it?
Doctor, Peri and Erimem are lured to planet where some wierd witches kill and eat the Doctor, wash naked brainwashed Peri in some oils and Erimem gets beaten and raped by some good (military IIRC) guy who later kinda saves the day and it's never adressed afterwards.
>>
>>82335374
I've never noticed the expressions thing but occasionally Capaldi's voice sounds very similar to Tom's.
>>
File: C-14FwRXgAAMlTG[1].jpg (83KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
C-14FwRXgAAMlTG[1].jpg
83KB, 1024x576px
Sometimes it feels like they shouldn't release concept art because it just makes you see how much better it looks
>>
>>82335391
>>82335374
I think it was in Mummy on the Orient Express that Capaldi outright did a T.Baker impression.

>>82335451
A lot of concept artists are so fantastic, the ideas they can come up with are so neat. I don't really think particularly visually so I love seeing minds that do.
>>
>>82333764
light at the end really comfy 4me
>>
Series 1 Special Edition when?
>>
>>82335626
>Series
>>
>>82335647
I'm talking about 2005
>>
File: 1479283413382.png (108KB, 400x381px) Image search: [Google]
1479283413382.png
108KB, 400x381px
>>82335675
>>
>>82335716
Season 27 then, autist
>>
File: 1493512966995.jpg (235KB, 631x631px) Image search: [Google]
1493512966995.jpg
235KB, 631x631px
>>
File: 1475612485465.jpg (206KB, 1876x970px) Image search: [Google]
1475612485465.jpg
206KB, 1876x970px
>>82335731
>>
>>82332166
Gopro shots look significantly different to proper camera shots due to the fish eye lens and the high depth of field. It's jarring as fuck and incredibly tacky in professional level productions like doctor who and the hobbit.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnhArPKjYBY
really want a fem!doc
please write her like lara croft - tough
the Doctor should become a girl.
would Lovibond do it?
>>
File: 12 bae.png (363KB, 427x395px) Image search: [Google]
12 bae.png
363KB, 427x395px
So /who/, what do we think of Missy's "consider the Doctor" scene in The Witch's Familiar?
>>
>>82335889
I think it was the scene Sean Pertwee was approached to be in for Series 9.
>>
File: Tiredtom.jpg (46KB, 392x529px) Image search: [Google]
Tiredtom.jpg
46KB, 392x529px
>>82330445
It looks like his chest is on his back or the contrary, that butt shouldn't belong in there
>>
>>82335889
kino
>>
Tennant and matt both had full serieses without another doctor being shown
so far both capaldi serieses have featured appearances of other doctors
>>
>>82332648
What the fuck, that's fucking grim
>>
>>82335959
I don't think a bit of reused archive footage really matters.
>>
http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/doctor-who-series-10-knock-knock-character-is-classic-companion-s-grandson

Am I reading this correctly? Have they retroactively made Harry Sullivan gay?

Seriously?
>>
>>82335997
Deep breath had new matt lines
Witch's Familiar had baker
>>
>>82335918
I literally used an irl ref for it though; http://imgur.com/a/grgIs

How would you suggest I fix it? Maybe it's the lighting?
>>
>>82336027
when/where was the new Baker, desu ka?
>>
>>82336027
Yeah that's what I mean by reused archive footage compared to having the literal actor make a cameo.
>>
>>82336012
>But, Whovians will be disappointed to learn, that this delightful nugget of continuity has been removed from the final transmitted episode, Mike states:
>“It was decided that, in 2017, people might not remember one companion from 40-odd years ago, so it got cut.”

it's not canon
>>
>>82336043
consider the doctor
>>
>>82336049
Still though, weird
>>
>>82336132
did harry ever show romantic or sexual interest in a female?
>>
>>82336049
I'm glad they removed it honestly, I find "it's X character's grandchild!" fanservice to be really cheap and weird. There must be some other way to honour an old character's legacy than by the weirdly invasive imposition of a reproductive future on them.
>>
>>82336163
Sarah.
>>
>>82336163
no, he was only qualified to work on sailors
>>
>>82335959
If it bothers you, consider the Doctor saying:

"Imagine if time happened all at once. Every moment of your life laid out around you... like a city. Streets full of buildings made of days. The day you were born. The day you die. The day you fall in love. The day that love ends. A whole city built from triumph and heartbreak and boredom and laughter and cutting your toenails. It's the best place you will ever be. Time is a structure relative to ourselves. Time is the space made by our lives. Where we stand together forever. Time and relative dimension in space. It means life."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roEG-8OF8LA

The idea of "time happening all at once" perhaps could be taken as a key idea for the Capaldi era. The return of Simm, the Mondasian Cybermen, the continual references to past Doctors...he's the first Doctor in a new regeneration cycle, he didn't think he'd get this many lives, it's natural for him to reflect on his earlier lives more than other regenerations would. How to make sense of a life you thought you'd never live, if not by reflecting on the lives you had? Hence the series 8 arc of "Am I a good man?" where he tries to reconcile the NewWho (and often Wilderness Era, honestly) of the idea of the Doctor as a great hero as opposed to just an idiot and wanderer. Hence series 9 deconstructing the idea of the Doctor at all, through making Clara an expy, a proto-Doctor. Hence Series 10 going all-out in referencing past continuity - River, Susan, Simm, Mondas.

Just my reading on it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMgORTdrKU
>>
>>82336132
It's not weird and the way the article is written doesn't even sound like they're implying Harry's gay anyway.

Everybody has 2 granddads.
>>
>>82336260
why did you post this
>>
>>82336285
>his boyfriend
>>
>>82336310
girl turns me gay
>>
>>82336320
Yes. One of his granddads had a boyfriend, and then the very next line it says "However, the writer reveals, Harry’s other grandad is UNIT surgeon". It might just be because the article is badly written but I can't see how the "boyfriend" and "other granddad" can be the same person.

Not that I have a problem with Harry being gay. I don't see why that would be something to be upset by
>>
>>82336582
I would start by asking who the fuck is serialslayer
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbl4iYyNOMs
is this canon?
>>
>>82336636
a tripfag when was laughed out of /who/ for being a retard
>>
>>82336721
was this back in the skype group days?
>>
>>82336749
yes
>>
>>82336210
kek
>>
File: 1470030388396.jpg (570KB, 1411x1411px) Image search: [Google]
1470030388396.jpg
570KB, 1411x1411px
What are we in for lads
>>
File: Bearded McCoy.png (789KB, 645x960px) Image search: [Google]
Bearded McCoy.png
789KB, 645x960px
>>82336582
what infamous confession time poster
>>
>>82337735
I won't even listen to that when I get it for free.
>>
>>82337761
I wonder if we can put it in the stream somehow. The only reasonable way to get through it might be to laugh at it with others in tandem.
>>
>>82330796
>Bill makes Capaldi better
I agree with this. Clara and Capaldi didn't really match together. Clara being all bitchy while Capaldi being bossy. For me their personality just didn't match. I love seeing a new companion who just follows the doctor's orders at first then realize further on that the doctor actually needs help (even if he doesn't like it)
>>
File: IMG_20161101_152129.jpg (25KB, 592x137px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161101_152129.jpg
25KB, 592x137px
>>
>>82333774
>2017
>people still dont understand the 50th
>>
>>82338226
The point is that the Doctor, at his core, is fundamentally the same in all iterations and that he will always find another way rather than commit genocide

How does that negate anything I said?
>>
File: he's a comin.jpg (250KB, 1133x1600px) Image search: [Google]
he's a comin.jpg
250KB, 1133x1600px
>>82335339
Tom Rosenthal is the current Betfair favourite.
>>
>>82334907
End of June, so next month. 13 was probably cast a couple of months ago
>>
>>82334535
>and what a choice it is, I never really thought of myself as suicidal
>the warhead is primed, all I have to do is turn that key. Press that button. And it's all over
>ah, what the hell

>>82335342
I recall someone here listing one of the J&L audios as it was essentially just eating for the entire story.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVAnqKBnThY
Skype adventures!
>>
>>82335626
Already exists, no?
>>
>>82339832
whaaaat? As in with new special effects and all?
>>
>>82339861
Sorry, wrong timeline
>>
>>82339826
>the Key to Time
WHEN WILL IT DIE
>>
Hey

I'm the guy who has seen episodes 4, 6, 8 early. I've just seen Episodes 11 and 12 also.

Feel to free ask questions.
>>
>>82340120
proofs and sauce.
>>
>>82340120
What are the most shocking parts?
>>
>>82340120
Can you not 'spoil' anything too big and just give teasers please, I dread to think what /who/ will be like for the next two months otherwise.
>>
>>82340120
Can you please put your comments in spoiler tags when you spoil things? It would be really appreciated if you did that instead of just saying them uncovered. Thank you.
>>
>>82340120
can u give me hints on what the thing behind the door is?
>>
>>82340120
How is doing this bit fun?
>>
>>82340166
One of the most shocking parts for me
was that both of the companions are ''killed off'' which I don't think they've done before, at least not properly.

When John Simm shows up I was also surprised that they played some OLD OLD music, from 2007 I think. I recognised it straight away though i think they used to use it for the trailers. It was quite an epic scene though, he makes a good entrance

Also John Simm's Master dies,
killed by old Cybermen and regenerates into the female master near the end of episode 12.
>>
Please do give spoilers as big as you like (I know I wanna see em) but put them in spoiler tags
>>
File: EdGWawl.png (530KB, 668x504px) Image search: [Google]
EdGWawl.png
530KB, 668x504px
>>82340348
How exactly did you see these episodes so early?
>>
>>82340301
It's he female master, although they try to make you think it will be John simm's master with the knocking like drums. The Doctor saves her in Episode 11 after going into a black hole, this episode is focused a lot on the relationship between the two of them and has flashbacks to their childhood
>>
>>82340436
What happened to removing the trip and only using it for art
>>
>>82340348
>>82340469
Fucking bollocks
>>
>>82340480
Whoops! I forgot to take it off again after I posted art earlier in the thread.
>>
For some reason I'm willing to believe anon
>>
>>82340469
Is there any mention of the drumming?
>>
>>82340586
There is a brief mentionof the drums, the master says something about no longer being able to hear it when asked, and the female master makes a joke about it. They are really good together the two masters, but it depends on whether you like the classic moffat bantery dialogue because there's a lot of that with them
>>
>>82340674
What does Simms master make of 12? Does he mention his past encounters with 10?
>>
>>82340674
Is there a lead in to the Christmas special?
>>
>>82340733
Yeah basically observes and notices he looks older to which the doctor says something like 'oh, just a thousand years or so'. He likes 12 in a way i guess. i think he appreciates that he's older like he is (as Simm says he has aged a lot since the last time they met).
>>
NEW THREAD
>>82340797
>>82340797
>>82340797
>>
>>82340785
Does he still turn into a skeleton thing and have the ability to shoot bolts?
>>
>>82340348
>OLD OLD music, from 2007 I think
bruh
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.