[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts? Thoughts on how it compares to the first two?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: STB_UK_Quad-600x451.jpg (63KB, 600x451px) Image search: [Google]
STB_UK_Quad-600x451.jpg
63KB, 600x451px
Thoughts?

Thoughts on how it compares to the first two?
>>
>>82312681
No idea, I don't watch pleb trash.
>>
>>82312705
Then why do you come to a board with no real discussion of anything, let alone "patrician" stuff?
>>
>>82312681
Better. You could tell it was written by someone who loved the franchise and understood why the characters in the original worked. Also it didn't get too bogged down into shitty references that served no purpose.

It was still "pleb trash", but far more enjoyable pleb trash than the Abrams movies.
>>
Rare instances where the 3rd is the best of the trilogy
>>
>>82312681
It's very peculiar, very different from the usual summer blockbuster and the bombastic JJA films in how it embraces televisual low-budget kitsch and just tells a simplistic story with no overblown stakes or character dev, which feels like a typical filler episode you'd see on a generic scifi TV show (I assume this was Pegg's intention as a writer). I thought this colorful/non-pretentious approach would be a good thing and refreshing compared to how formulaic current blockbusters are, but it still felt uninspired and way too thin plot-wise, Justin Lin proved with his F&F films he can do great set pieces (like the Rio Heist) or create interesting character moments (like everything revolving around Han) but this didn't even have anything memorable. It reminded me more of a generic Farscape episode more than something Star Trek, I say this as someone who prefers Farscape to Trek, yet it did nothing for me.
>>
>>82312838
Mostly to laugh at people like you.
>>
It was the best of the three.

I felt like there wasn't much marketing for a franchise of it's size, it had already been in cinemas for like a week before I was aware of it.
>>
File: ok bud.png (578KB, 520x631px) Image search: [Google]
ok bud.png
578KB, 520x631px
>>82313090
>>
>>82313001
>I say this as someone who prefers Farscape to Trek
Probably why it didn't click for you. The movie was very TOS.
>>
Worst film in the Star Trek franchise.
>>
>>82312681
It's the best one.

3 >1 > 2.
>>
>>82313001
>but this didn't even have anything memorable
The Yorktown was pretty memorable IMO.
>>
Simon Pegg ruined it by sidelining the characters everyone loved and making the film all about him and that ugly white alien.

Also fucking dirt bikes.
>>
>>82312681
It was clearly written by someone who likes Star Trek. Which the first two were not.

Not a masterpiece but a fun space adventure film. Also Kirk's characterization was so much better than the generic space fuckboi of the previous films. Idris Elba was underutilized as a villain, though.
>>
>>82313364
>fuckboi
What does this mean?
>>
Am I wrong or did most people misunderstand what they tried to do with the villian? When people criticize the movie they often say that he was another "guy looking for revenge" and lacking other motivation. But from what I remember the twist was that he didn't want revenge, but rather making the Federation great again by creating an external threat for them to overcome?
>>
>>82313364
It was clearly written by a narcissist fuck who wanted to make his minor character more important than everyone else.

It's a terrible film that holds nothing from Star Trek tradition and lore. It doesn't even feel like Star Trek
>>
>>82313419
Most people are dumb.
He was a cool villain. I liked his MACO backstory.
>>
>>82313419
It also tied in nicely with the Earth xenophobia established in the last season of Enterprise.
>>
>>82313562
This movie had a lot of ENT stuff in it.
Xindi and MACO references, Edison and his ship and crew being from around that time period (a few years after ENT I think).

Him mentioning the Romulan war makes me pissed that ENT was cancelled.
>>
>>82313665
Also
Porthos is alive somehow
>>
>>82313772
When was that?
If you mean the Porthos mention from the first movie it made no sense.
>>
cool first half, very well done - underwhelming 2nd half
>>
>>82313830
Was that the first movie? I could swear it was this one.
>>
Much, much better. Beautifully shot action, scale, classic campy feel.
>>
>>82313874
Nah, it was the first one, and it made 0 sense since Porthos would have been long dead.
>>
>>82312681
It wasn't as good as the first two.
>>
>>82312681
I unironically think Into Darkness was a better film.
A 100 year old ship surfing lots of little ships? Fuck off
>>
Absolutely rotten, stinking shit

Captain Kirk rides a motorbike and plays Beastie Boys records

It's like someone read a joke skit from The Simpsons ("Star Trek The Musical") and made it into a movie

And would it have been a good movie if it had been rebranded so it had nothing to do with star trek? No, it would be just as awful and wouldn't have gotten made
>>
>>82313932

You know there's ships in the US navy over 40 years old and still in use. It's not that stupid.
>>
>>82312935
this.

suffered heavily from the damage JJ did to the characters and the universe, but still managed to salvage it into an actual trek movie.
>>
Huge pile of stinking garbage that killed the new franchise.
>>
>>82315250
Well said Anon.
>>
File: Jaylah.jpg (412KB, 600x760px) Image search: [Google]
Jaylah.jpg
412KB, 600x760px
>>82312681
jaylah is cute, plot is standard blockbuster shit but its enjoyable, action is good , practical effects is good. its meh if you just watch knowing its a standard blockbuster movie. also jaylah a cute a CUTE!
>>
>>82316125
I love how they made her badass but not some invincible perfect character. I hope we se more of her.
>>
>>82316125
>just here to say how 101% HETEROSEXUAL I AM GOD I LOVE WOMEN!
>>
>>82316508
i hope she has a lady penis, not everyone is insecure as you bro
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.