[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Watched this in university today. I really liked it. Have any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 13

File: Waltz_with_Bashir_Poster.jpg (51KB, 325x433px) Image search: [Google]
Waltz_with_Bashir_Poster.jpg
51KB, 325x433px
Watched this in university today. I really liked it.
Have any of you seen it? If yes, how did you feel about it?
Do you know any other good and impressing movies about war?
>>
I don't watch any Jewish media.
>>
Are you studying film in uni?
>>
>>82309049
It's Jewkino
>>
>>82309067
Go back
>>
File: sc_106.jpg (1002KB, 2729x1535px) Image search: [Google]
sc_106.jpg
1002KB, 2729x1535px
>>82309067
Your loss.

>>82309091
Actually, no, I study psychology and have this really fun class where we watch movies and analyse the psychopathology represented in them. Like in this case PTSD.

>>82309112
... so...?
>>
>>82309049
>Do you know any other good and impressing movies about war?
Come and See
Stalingrad
Das Boot
Paths of Glory
Thin Red Line
Ballad of A Soldier
Cross Of Iron
Kanal
Fires on the Plain
>>
It was a different and interesting take on the documentary style. I suggest watching Persepolis.
>>
>>82309049
Watch Lebanon
>>
>>82309049
Why does the West produce almost no non-comedic animated films?
>>
Every thread I saw it and nobody agrees with me, but I really didn't like how it ended with real footage of war crimes. It felt like a really dishonest bait and switch to get the audience to confront what happened, but if you have no connection to the conflict to start then there's no need to be so heavy handed
>>
>>82310116
That ending really came out of nowhere IMO, especially with the first viewing.
>>
>>82309049
What's the deal with this movie? What's the political slant?
>>
>>82310161
yeah honestly
i brought some friends over to watch it and that ending definitely brought the party down
we were just expecting cool and dark animation, not actual footage
>>
>>82310161
>>82310364
Oh shit, that's this movie?
I remember I rented this movie as a kid because it was animation and the ending was way too fucking much for 10 year-old me.
>>
>>82309371
>>82309402
>>82309729
Thanks, I'll check these out. Persepolis is one I've heard about quite a few times before.

>>82310049
Why does the West produce almost no adult animated films in the first place? This one was very impressive and I doubt it would've had the same effect as a live action movie. Especially the more surreal sequences.

>>82310116
>>82310161
>>82310364
I agree it came out of nowhere, but I think it's good real footage was shown, because being an animated film, it was very easy to dissociate and forget it was talking about real events. The movie is not supposed to be fun, it's supposed to show what happened and how the people involved feel about it.

>>82310307
It's a documentary about the Lebanon war in an animated style. The characters are all real and tell about their experiences.
>>
>>82310516
>It's a documentary about the Lebanon war in an animated style. The characters are all real and tell about their experiences.
I know that, but I was curious if there was notable bias.
>>
>>82310516
>Why does the West produce almost no adult animated films in the first place?
Not true. Sausage Party, for one thing. The Simpsons, The Futurama Movies, the Family Guy Star Wars movie, Batman: The Killing Joke, Anomalisa, Beowulf, Team America, etc.
>>
>>82310307
maybe someone who knew all the ins & outs of the conflict would be able to point out biases and parts that it glosses over, but to me it seemed pretty even-handed. it focuses more on the individual experience than the political context.
>>
Really beautiful film. Conceptually it all comes together near the end. The cartoon style is fitting with the way that they remember the war (their self constructed memories). But also I think it was because a lot conversation was recorded only on sound during its research. And they could either do talking heads or try to turn it into a fictional narrative with the people playing themselves or getting actors.

Also the drawing style reminded me a lot of those American style comics about jet fighter pilots. I read those as a kid.

The only thing that really really bothers me is the extreme shift in animation quality that happens half way through
>>
File: WaltzWithBashir_6.jpg (61KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
WaltzWithBashir_6.jpg
61KB, 600x400px
>>82310678
Well I'm not sure I'd consider all of these "adult animated films", but maybe you're right and what I meant was movies with more serious content, as the anon before me said. I hate Sausage Party and Family Guy.

>>82310741
I agree with this.

>>82310855
I loved the drawing style, what are those comics called? The animated film format might've been a way to make working with a very difficult topic (especially for the individuals who were actually involved in the war) easier. Also apparently some faces of the "real" characters were changed, so maybe also an easier way to keep anonymity? The topic of reality, memories and dreams in general would've been more difficult to represent in a live action movie.
>>
>>82311392
Check out Les Tripelettes de Belleville and the Illusionist. The Red Turtle was one that came out last year and was very good.

Do you enjoy stop animation? Kubo and the Two Strings is excellent
>>
>>82309049
sweet i love DS9 bro
>>
this is an ugly film. if you disagree it's because you can't tell a good drawing from a bad one.
>>
>>82309360
that means it's good captain defensive.
btw is your class >50% female?
>>
>>82309049
it is a great film. Never seen anything like it.
>>
>>82311392
> I hate Sausage Party and Family Guy.
As any human being should, I was just mentioning all the adult films I could find online. >>82311501 mentioned a couple more.
>>
>>82309371

come and see needs to be on the fedoracore list at this point
it's getting to be the redundant, go-to recommendation for war films from the "OTHER" perspective
>>
>>82311791
adult animated films*
>>
File: obesity.jpg (64KB, 561x347px) Image search: [Google]
obesity.jpg
64KB, 561x347px
>>82309067
t. burgerstinian
>>
>movie is about the 1982 massacre at Sabra and Shatila that killed thousands of Palestinians
>movie: you know who are the real victims? ISRAELIS.

fuck off.
>>
>>82309049
literally the only genuine 10/10 kino that ever came out of my country senpai.dude who made it grew up in the same city i did .
its a shame he didnt write\direct more , he made a few tv shows which might be good but its hard for me to bring myself to watch israeli shows because i've never seen a good one and he wrote and directed one of the wierdest adaptations of a stanislaw lem novel i've ever seen (pic related)
>>
This movie handles PTSD so well. Too many films have guys crying whenever they hear something go boom. This is much more nuanced and realistic.

Course Ari Folman actually did fight in Lebanon so it makes sense
>>
File: 677882.jpg (145KB, 650x581px) Image search: [Google]
677882.jpg
145KB, 650x581px
>>82311907
>REMEMBER MUH PALESTINE

fuck off sand nigger
>>
>>82312005

edgy stuff, man
>>
>>82311907
>movie is about the 1982 massacre
the movie is about ari you dumbass
>>
>>82311907
I don't get why arabs cry about muh israel so much with that

Sabra/Shatila was Christian Arabs killing mudslime arabs because the palis chimped out and tried to take over lebanon. Israelis watched and didnt come to their rescue, yet that somehow makes them responsible.

Do Arabs have no agency or something?
>>
>>82311501
Thanks for the suggestions, Kubo and the Two Strings is a movie I had some interest in already before, so it's good that you brought it up again.

>>82311719
I'd go as far as to say that 70% are female, but maybe this specific class has a slightly less dramatic quota.

>>82311964
True, it was basically an autobiography.

>>82311907
---> >>82312155 this. The movie is about Ali's and his comrades' subjective experiences in that war and not really political.
>>
>>82312005
>remember muh six quadrillion

back in the oven, kike.
>>
>>82312210
>Israelis watched and didnt come to their rescue, yet that somehow makes them responsible

imagine if every other nation in WW2 just let the germans get on with it.

world would be a much better place.
>>
>>82310855
any idea what those comics were called? sounds interesting
>>
muslims ruin everything
>>
>>82312210
IDF was responsible for the safety of those camps , allowed the militias to go in because they were our allies and they sometimes looked for wanted people in the camps .

of course idf was responsible watch the movie, all those poeple died because the soldiers guarding the camp were unprepared , the entire IDF chain of command was irresponsible , no one had the balls to react and all the officers passed responsibility.
>>
>>82309402
Came here for this OP. Another one that pops in my head is Buddha Collapsed out of Shame.
>>
>>82310553
Not OP but no, the director has the "lead role" and is literally trying to set his mind straight on the atrocities that happened in mostly Sabra and Shatila. It literally shows ex-IDF struggling with coming to terms with that and bending truths which is actually made obvious throughout the movie.
>>
>>82310553
its biased in that it falsely portrays jews experiencing human emotions like guilt and empathy
>>
>>82310116
How is it dishonest? It's totally in keeping with the theme through the entire movie that Israel is dissociating from its own actions. Switching to reality as the Israel-proxy realises what he did is a natural extension
>>
File: ready for the bbc.jpg (72KB, 469x600px) Image search: [Google]
ready for the bbc.jpg
72KB, 469x600px
>>82312790
Germans were gonna get BTFO by soviets regardless
>>
>>82313174
>IDF was responsible for the safety of the enemy

Only entitles "palestinians" believe this
>>
>>82313653
that's fine.

so long as the jews are gone it's all good.
>>
File: 1493273620828.jpg (105KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
1493273620828.jpg
105KB, 850x400px
>>82312790
>>
>>82309049
Wait a minute I know this guy
>>
>>82313675
>Only entitles "palestinians" believe this
im an IDF veteran
>safety of the enemy
they we're responsible for the safety of the enemy they were responsible for the civilians in the places they occupied during wartime. the camps were in occupied territory at the time and had soldiers guarding them and responsible for the safety of the people.

sabra and shatila/ the magav massacre and all those incidents of incompetence of the army leadership are taught to every office of the IDF now in bahad1
>>
>>82309371
>Come and See

inb4 butthurt nazifags complaining about it being "propaganda".
>>
>>82314019
weren't*
fuck its late
>>
>Do you know any other good and impressing movies about war?

Beasts of No Nation.
>>
>>82310516
>I agree it came out of nowhere, but I think it's good real footage was shown, because being an animated film, it was very easy to dissociate and forget it was talking about real events. The movie is not supposed to be fun, it's supposed to show what happened and how the people involved feel about it.

The fact that IT is animated and it plays with your mind, creating fantasy setting i.e: Boaz running from the dog scene.

With different perspective of each people on the film takes you out for a moment creating a dreamy sequence until the realization on the ending, you've thinking that Ari's journey is over with his past memory (very-dreamlike) and then boom. Actual footage with no music and just women wailing to the dead bodies.
>>
>>82311792
It is a pretty fucking amazing movie, though.
>>
Some of the shots are very poetic. The slow mo shot of them getting out of the sea at night with the flares going off will be burned in to my mind for the rest of my life.

I really need to re-download it because i only watched a shitty 2gb rip last time and didnt get to see its' full glory.

Also it actually paints israel in a pretty bad light imo.
>>
Whole film is on youtube if anybody is wondering
https://youtu.be/CHZ0w-8FAfI
>>
File: WaltzWithBashir.jpg_cmyk.jpg (79KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
WaltzWithBashir.jpg_cmyk.jpg
79KB, 500x281px
>>82314019
>im an IDF veteran
Tell us more? What was your experience? Only if you feel like it, of course.

>>82314224
You're right, I've been thinking about some of the scenes all day.

>>82314321
Thanks, I'll probably rewatch it soon. Saved.
>>
>>82314533
Literally every Israeli is an "IDF-veteran".
>>
File: 1487487096347.gif (1MB, 250x233px) Image search: [Google]
1487487096347.gif
1MB, 250x233px
>>82311792
>it's fedoracore because lots of people like it and recommend it

fuck off autist
>>
never forget the 6 million
>>
I watched it when I was 17 and thought it was shit. Watched it nine years later and was blown away by how good it is.

My favorite part is the psychiatrist talking about the soldier who took himself out of the carnage by thinking he was shooting pictures and film until he encounters the dead horses at the Hippodrome. I'll never forget that scene.
>>
File: 3754.jpg (7KB, 200x210px) Image search: [Google]
3754.jpg
7KB, 200x210px
>>82313653
>filename
>>
>>82309049

Pretty good
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.