[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Silent kino

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: Sherlock Jr.jpg (106KB, 1200x946px) Image search: [Google]
Sherlock Jr.jpg
106KB, 1200x946px
This was great.

What are some other must-see silent kinos?
>>
>>82233268
it was great, indeed

as a matter of fact, every buster feature lenght film is fantastic. shorts are hit or miss, but mostly miss.
>>
>>82233596
cool, i will watch the cameraman next
>>
>>82233268
All of Keaton's movies
The Crowd
Modern Times
The Gold Rush
The Kid
Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans
Nosferatu
Metropolis
The Big Parade
Foolish Wives
The Man With a Movie Camera
Salome
Intolerance: Love's Struggle Throughout the Ages
Battleship Potemkin
And Hitchcock's silent films are worth a watch too, even though he remade all the best ones as talkies.
>>
>>82233769
>battleship potemkin
You just ruined your list with that.
>>
>>82233854
Whatever, dude. Politics aside, it's an exciting film. Eisenstein figured out a lot of the language of cinema before anyone else and he put it to good use.

It's the same as people lauding Griffith or Triumph of the Will
>>
>>82233769
thanks for the list friend
>>
>>82234026
Absolutely not the same, you can't compare everything Griffith invented and matured in his cinema, that for decades has been praised by critics and filmmakers, to Soviet montage.

Griffith predates German expressionism, Italian neorealism, Griffith made cinema an art form, if someone deserves to be described as "figured out a lot of the language of cinema" it's him, not Einsenstein.

Also, The Triumph of the Will isn't propaganda, unlike Battleship Potemkin.
>>
>>82234436
>Griffith predates German expressionism, Italian neorealism

citation needed. Nothing that I've seen predates either.
>>
File: image.png (21KB, 1344x182px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
21KB, 1344x182px
>>82234673
Also if you can't see how Intolerance predates the characteristics of German expressionist films, I don't believe you've seen it.
>>
>>82234436
>Also, The Triumph of the Will isn't propaganda, unlike Battleship Potemkin.

Almost seemed like a real opinion until then. Nonsense. I suppose you'll quote Riefenstahl's "no narration" bullshit, when the whole point is that no voice could possibly speak over Hitler except Hitler's.
>>
>>82235557
German Expressionist painters rejected the naturalistic depiction of objective reality, often portraying distorted figures, buildings, and landscapes in a disorienting manner that disregarded the conventions of perspective and proportion. This approach, combined with jagged, stylized shapes and harsh, unnatural colors, were used to convey subjective emotions.

beautiful sets does not German expressionism make.

I haven't seen Isn't life wonderful but a quick search makes me think that, albeit similar in themes to Italian neorealism (let's not pretend that Italians were the first to focus on poverty struggles), it's not in any way naturalist enough to be compared to it
>>
Any early Fritz Lang film
>>
>>82235686
I messed up, meant birth of a nation.
>>
>>82233268
Watch Chaplin's shorts while he was at Universal
>>
>>82233268
Metropolis is fantastic, as are most Fritz Lang movies. Buster Keaton is also amusing in The General (which interestingly has the most expensive stunt ever done in a silent film). If you're interested in physical comedy then watch Chaplin and Buster Keaton.
>>
>>82233268
The General is my favorite keaton but Safety Last! Is great too
>Tfw got to watch both in a theater with a love pipe organ doing the sounds and music
>Tfw I'll probably never get to experience this again
Silent films with live music is such an enjoyable experience they really should do it again. The shitty music they put in DVD versions just doesn't do it justice
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.