[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the theme of this movie love, dreams or neither?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 4L_jfJV4NZx.jpg (64KB, 744x419px) Image search: [Google]
4L_jfJV4NZx.jpg
64KB, 744x419px
Hey annons, a couple of my friends have been having a debate after we watched the movie together (I know it's w little late). What do you guys think?
>>
>>82133395
It's the conflict between what makes you happy and what makes money to you, basically. (The Love vs the acting/music career)
>>
It's about how Emma Stone is Best Emma
>>
File: hierarchy-of-values-2-638.jpg (59KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
hierarchy-of-values-2-638.jpg
59KB, 638x479px
>>82133760
>>82133395
No I disagree, its not about that conflict at all, but rather our flawed perception of the hierarchy of values.

If you are not familiar with it, its basically this idea people have of whats most important to us (pic related is an example). Most every model of this puts self-actualization (becoming the person you want/imagine yourself to be) as above love/relationship with others.

What this implies is that we usually look for love/relationships first, and once we are comfortable with that, we then go and seek self-actualization (and that it is ultimately more important to us than love/relationships).

La La Land imposes this idea that real self-actualization only comes FROM acting out of love. Ryan Gostling reluctantly takes the touring gig to support Emma Stone, even though the fame and money from it is what ultimately lets him achieve his dream of owning a jazz bar.

Emma Stone only does the play because Ryan Gostling convinces her to do it and she views it as the end of her chances at a career or of her dream. Even though this shitty play is what ultimately gets her her dream job.

At the end we skip forward to see that they have broken up, drifted away, but are still excelling at their dream jobs. When they see each other though they realize they arent happy anymore, not really, and I think this is implying that the actual self-actualization was them being happy, not the jobs they had but the happiness they shared, and that they threw it away due to what they thought they want.
You could maybe take it a step further and say its the hollywood idea of what makes us happy v actual, genuine happiness.
>>
>>82133395
the theme is cuckoldry
>>
>>82133760
Isn't that just love vs dreams?
>>
>>82133395
It's all of those things, but I think it's also about getting lost in the crowd and being able to differentiate yourself from the norm or get lucky trying.
>>
I think this anon said it best: >>82134032
It's about choosing what you want, not that both don't make you happy, but it does eventually require sacrificing one for another.
Not a "hollywood ideal" but more like your personal ideal of happiness in a career.
>>
>>82135260
Good way of phrasing it
>>
>>82133395
the theme is: "let's try to win an oscar"
>>
>>82133905
>Emma Watson signs on for La La Land
>Disney offers her a starring role in a remake of an old cartoon
>she jumps ship
>based Damien casts Emma Stone and ages up the characters
>La La Land rakes in the Oscars and best Emma wins best actress
>La La Land soundtrack outsells Beauty and the Beast soundtrack
>Disney overproduces the fuck out of Watson's voice and everyone laughs at the autotune

Let this be a lesson to you all.
>>
>>82133395
It's just a monster's university ripoff
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.