[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was he a good teacher?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: tempo.jpg (59KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
tempo.jpg
59KB, 1920x800px
Was he a good teacher?
>>
Not quite my teacher
>>
absolutely not.
>>
>>82132977
spotted the nu-male
>>
>>82133151
ok, why do you think he was a good teacher.
>>
Was he rushing or dragging?
>>
>>82133217

as louis armstrong said, if you have to ask you can't know
>>
>>82132817
He got his own Charlie Parker, didn't he?
>>
>>82133217
He pushed his students to be the absolute best they could be. He didn't coddle them he shaped them into complete artists.
>>
>>82133217
He challenges his students, not pave them an easy path to follow so they can think they "succeed"
>>
>>82132817
I don't know. I never really had a mentor to push me.
>>
>>82133321
Not throwing a chair at someone isn't coddling.
>>
>>82133499
THe movie went overboard with its message. Even Sargents don't hit their troops during basic why would a music teacher be allowed to?
>>
>>82133400
>tfw only had one do that for me and he died of cancer 9 years ago
Sorry I failed you Bird
>>
>>82133549
because a prestigious music school isn't the equivalent of basic. it's more like training for be a navy seal, in which even a tiny, minuscule mistake is completely unacceptable
>>
>>82133321
there's pushing students to reach their potential, and then there's being unnecessarily cruel and fucking with your students. I don't know what happened to all of his students but I know that the one other drummer gave up on drumming and that one other former student of his committed suicide from anxiety and depression from training under fletcher. When one of his students got in a car accident he didn't give a fuck at all, all he cared about was his reputation and his band winning.

fletcher just wanted to be one of those legendary teachers that trained a musical legend. He didn't care how many students he would have to burn through to finally get to that one that actually would rise to that status. He almost completely blew it too. In the ending concert he wasn't trying to push andrew to see him succeed, it was 100% revenge, he wanted him to fail and just walk off and never play jazz again.

Then again I've never been to a high level prestigious music school. Maybe throwing chairs, yelling and insulting your students is common and even to be expected at that level.
>>
File: 1488580267133.jpg (32KB, 470x698px) Image search: [Google]
1488580267133.jpg
32KB, 470x698px
>>82133744
>playing music is like being a navy seal
I just don't see the logic behind training like a navy seal to play an instrument
>>
>>82133956
This desu. I think there are better ways to push your students that don't involve driving them to insanity. But I'm not a musician, so who knows.
>>
>>82133989
because if someone else trains that hard and you don't, you'll never be the best, and Andrew was committed to being the best
>>
>>82133989
because andrew didn't want to be good at what he did, he wanted to be someone that other people that were passionate about his art in the way he was aspired to

this is pretty clearly laid out in the scene where he has dinner with his family. as far as jazz is concerned, he doesn't want to be good, he wants to be in the fucking history books.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.