[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are the star wars prequels held in such low regard? If I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 12

File: Jar_Jar_meets_Jedi.png (2MB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
Jar_Jar_meets_Jedi.png
2MB, 1920x816px
Why are the star wars prequels held in such low regard? If I had to choose, I personally I think I might have actually liked them better than the original trilogy overall, but either way all 6 episodes synergize and the original trilogy wouldn't have been as good without the prequels.

Sure, the prequels had some dumb moments, mostly poor comedy involving jar jar and C3PO, but other than that they were on point I think. The plot felt more realistic and grounded as there were whole organizations and political plays that felt like they actually mattered. This is unlike in the original trilogy where the story is basically just Luke vs Vader and the emperor, and the whole rebel vs empire aspect feels just wishy-washy, as if they don't really matter because everything comes down to the people with the force anyway.
>>
thanks for the blog post on a twenty year old movie that people only saw when it came out because of nostalia or they were ten years old.

faggot
>>
>>82106061
desu they arent very good

but, looking at the current state of blockbusters post say 2008 theyre definetly not worse than most of those
>>
>>82106061
The prequels, even ESB and RoTJ, are all about criticising the naive adventuring of A New Hope. The rebels, the republic, the jedi, everyone gets criticised and exposed as misguided and flawed and an especially big point is that Palpatine was able to become the supreme ruler of the galaxy because the republic had no real leadership or vision.
>>
>>82106061
I disagree about them synergizing, I did a marathon once and going from episode III to IV was a huge shift in style, tone, and story. The prequels don't add to the story, they totally change it. Vader goes from being an evil enforcer who betrayed his friend Obi Wan to a false messiah who was a virgin birth, taken from slavery and trained from childhood by obi wan, and who's ultimate conflict is trying to save his girlfriend.

The prequels are fun films by theselves, but I don't think they fit with the originals.
>>
The prequels are way better
>>
>>82106381
>Vader goes from being an evil enforcer who betrayed his friend Obi Wan to a false messiah who was a virgin birth, taken from slavery and trained from childhood by obi wan, and who's ultimate conflict is trying to save his girlfriend
Excluding the virgin birth and save his girlfriend bit, I actually like what the prequels added to Anakin's character. Some of them were horrific in execution but I like the general idea at least. He was a tragic character who was expected to become this great savior but his love and lust for power to save those he cared about corrupted him into betraying those same people.
>>
>>82106381
>The prequels don't add to the story, they totally change it.
So you're one of those guys, huh?
>>
>>82106061
>If I had to choose, I personally I think I might have actually liked them better than the original trilogy overall

kys you faggot
>>
File: greivous.webm (3MB, 830x468px) Image search: [Google]
greivous.webm
3MB, 830x468px
Prequels and Clone Wars 2003 are the ultimate Star Wars kino, everything else is mediocre fan-fiction at best
>>
File: greivous2.webm (3MB, 830x468px) Image search: [Google]
greivous2.webm
3MB, 830x468px
>>
File: greivous3.webm (3MB, 875x510px) Image search: [Google]
greivous3.webm
3MB, 875x510px
>>
File: kino.webm (1MB, 999x582px) Image search: [Google]
kino.webm
1MB, 999x582px
>>
File: kino2.webm (2MB, 999x544px) Image search: [Google]
kino2.webm
2MB, 999x544px
>>
File: kino3.webm (3MB, 1074x544px) Image search: [Google]
kino3.webm
3MB, 1074x544px
>>
File: kino6.webm (1019KB, 611x344px) Image search: [Google]
kino6.webm
1019KB, 611x344px
>>
File: kino7.webm (3MB, 648x362px) Image search: [Google]
kino7.webm
3MB, 648x362px
>>
As a fencer these fights trigger me greatly
>>
File: playstation2.jpg (34KB, 800x337px) Image search: [Google]
playstation2.jpg
34KB, 800x337px
>>82106061
You are only thinking about the overall narrative and ignoring the execution of almost every other filmmaking element, which is simply atrocious.

The disgusting blend of CGI with the practicals which made the films instantly dated, the terrible wannabe Shakespearean dialogue (and the lack of direction from George to deliver said lines), the overuse of blue screen which result in terrible performances where actors react the same to a small insect or a giant alien monster, every dialogue scene is a blatant Q&A exposition fest with strictly back to back reverse shots of actors and a couch between them with a playstation 2 like CGI matte background of a city behind, the overchoregraphed fights/dances with zero tension (which are famous just because of John Williams), michael bay like "dense" framing and composition with everything shoved in the frame as much as possible in all action scenes etc

The only redeeming factors are the soundtrack, sound design and the world building, everything else is utter dogshit really.
>>
File: kino8.webm (2MB, 773x352px) Image search: [Google]
kino8.webm
2MB, 773x352px
>>
File: kino9.webm (1MB, 989x533px) Image search: [Google]
kino9.webm
1MB, 989x533px
>>
Lucas made a trilogy of prequels that were too smart for fans of the original trilogy. He overestimated the average intellect of his fanbase.
>>
>>82107137
>getting mad about fantasy fights with laser swords
>>
>>82107137
In your sport it's acceptable to get stabbed if your point hits the other guy first.

That's not practical in the real world of laser swords.
>>
>>82107141
>wannabe Shakespearean dialogue

You've obviously never read shakespeare, or seen the golden age of hollywood movies Lucas is actually referencing with his style of dialogue (Cary Grant, James Dean etc.).
>>
The only thing the prequels had going for them was the basic outline story of the clone army, which was later fixed by the clone wars series because Lucas's retarded writing wasn't allowed anywhere near it. The prequels took the force from cool shaolin monk magic only a few people know about to fucking bugs in your blood stream that can move star destroyers, and honestly not even having a backstory for anakin was way better than the megasperglord we got.
>>
>>82107220
George said he referenced Shakespeare himself my dude
>>
>>82107177
Nice b8
>>
>>82106061
they are kino, its just that the plebian masses cant understand the art Jar Jar was.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.