[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the fuck is this considered good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 101
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (343KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
343KB, 1920x1080px
Why the fuck is this considered good?
>>
It's not.
>>
>>82097764
>rousing music
>mythic characters
>situates an elemental revenge plot within the epic sweep of American westward expansion

How about you take a moment to tell us what we shouldn't like about it?
>>
This is a real man's film. If you didn't like it, it's because you're weak and your parents failed you.
>>
>>82097764
>I didn't understand a movie so I go to a mongolian papercraft internet forum so that other autists can validate me

WEW
>>
It's not

For a Few Dollars More > The Good the Bad and the Ugly > Fistful of Dollars >>>>>>>> Once Upon a Time in the West
>>
>>82097764
Aside from the music and the shots I really fucking enjoyed the characterization of the people involved and the whole setting was done perfectly.
Maybe elaborate on what you didn't like about it.
>>
>>82098626
This.
>>
>>82098626
Spotted the pleb
>>
>>82097764

The opening scene of this movie is quintessential western and I would consider it a perfect scene. Everything after it was forgettable and overall The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is the superior film.
>>
>>82097764
Did you watch it?

Or it's another "/tv/ bash on something because it's popular", thread.
>>
>>82098664
Lets hear why? TGBU is a rambling movie with no real structure to it all, Fistful is a ripoff of Yojimbo, and doesn't really do that great of a job, and Once Upon a Time in the West is just kind of fucking stupid and silly.
>>
Picking Bronson was a mistake.
>>
>>82098626
TGBU >OUTW > FFDM > FoD
>>
>>82098778
How does one of superior intellect such as myself, explain to the mind of a pleb that which they cannot fathom? To you, I say; Michael Bay, explosions, Nicki Minaj, Katy Perry and whatever other black rap group you enthusiastically download to your music playing device. Be at peace now, my simple friend and love the familiarity of pop culture from which you stem. Your mind is not ready, perhaps nor ever will be! It is through no fault of your own, you were simply born a pleb - and you are to die a pleb; that doesn't mean you can not enjoy your simplistic existence, sweet dullard! Good luck sweet child, good luck and God bless!
>>
>>82098778
>with no real structure to it all
lol, look at this "three act" faggot. It has plenty of recurring themes and character building, as well as being very well shot, acted and having a brilliant soundtrack.
>>
>>82099215
it's essentially Caddy Shack, a ramshackle assembly of interesting moments that are put together into a story by a rodent (or in the actual movie a treasure)
>>
>>82099467
It's not just that, you can see how these characters that at the start of the movie we know simply know as "The Good" and "The Ugly" become more than that through their different experiences in the movie. Neither Tuco nor Blondie are the same characters when the movie ends than they were when it started, even if their actions are similar. Mostly, we see the change in Blondie, when he sees the true relationship of Tuco and his brother but doesn't say anything when Tuco lies about it, and in that same moment we also get a good look at Tuco's soul as well. And then there's the whole bit when they get involved in the battle at the bridge, and how that affects them.
>>
I don't understand what people like about For a Few Dollars More more than the rest of the trilogy.
I mean, it's still pretty good, but it felt pretty stiff and uninspired compared to Leone's other stuff. I've never cared much for revenge plots in the first place, though. They always feel kinda generic.
>>
>>82099651
I still think its a good movie, all I'm saying is the much more straight forward coherent story presented in FFDM makes for a much better western
>>
>>82099735
Well, Lee Van Cleef and Clint Eastwood had a great chemistry and were a really good team, and it's a more comfortable movie than the others. All the bad guys get what's theirs, and the good guys win. There's not much tragedy or nastiness, like there is the other Leone westerns, and therefore I guess some people feel more satisfied with it.
>>
>>82099742
I feel the exact opposite. It gives us a character driven film, which is much more interesting and unique for a western.
I fucking love FFDM as well, of course. But it's safer and more traditional. I like TGTBATU better because it stands alone as its own thing.
>>
>>82099735
relationship between Eastwood and van Cleef is pretty fucking cool
>>
>>82099805
>>82099863
Yeah, I did like Lee's performance more than in TGTBTU. The cast fit together very well.
>>
>>82099886
Actually, I like his performance in TGTBATU better, because he does so much with so few minutes and lines compared to the other two. You completely forget he was the nice Col. Mortimer as soon as he enters that house right at the start of the film.
>>
>>82098709
THIS!
>>
>be Van Cleef
>retire from acting to paint and smoke
>one day get a call from some small italian man, he wants me in his movie
>"ok, i guess" think it's only a small bit part or supporting role
>tfw 2nd main character
>tfw be 2nd main character in the next movie
>tfw memorialized forever because it's a great fucking movie
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QML28YQBvyc

There will never be a more kino scne
>>
>>82099735
The story is pretty simple and as straightforward as itgetsbut characters are all fascinating to watch: Manco and Colonel Mortimer are a great combo and Indio was easily the best and most fleshed out villain in the trilogy. Also you don't really find out it´s a revenge plot until the very end so you can enjoy just 2 bounty hunters going after a prey that won't go down easily
>>
It's stylish as fuck
>>
>>82098626
Leone Spaghetti Western Power Ranking:
For a Few Dollars More
Duck, You Sucker
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly
A Fistfull of Dollars
>>
>>82100253
Come on, as soon as you see the flashback for the first time you know it's gonna be a revenge thing. And you can tell there's something else to Col. Mortimer and his interest for Indio than just money.
>>
>>82097764
Harmonica.
>>
>>82100266
Duck, You Sucker is full of great intentions but it's not a great movie. I'd rate it the lowest with TGTBATU as the first, and the others changing depending on mood.
>>
>>82098559

I dunno about all that. It's the most feminine western I've ever seen. Very touchy feely, but not in a "man" way like Duck You Sucker or Once Upon a Time in America.

I mean, just look at these MEN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK6ehybOhMU

>>82098626
>>82098908
>>82100266

Good to see people putting Fistful as low tier. It's just a poor man's Yojimbo.
>>
>>82100266
i've never seen Duck, You Sucker, is it any good?
>>
>>82100378
>stars Bronson
>feminine

Try again.
>>
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly > For A Few Dollars More > Once Upon A Time In The West > A Fistftul of Dollars > A Fistful Of Dynamite
>>
>>82100435

It's arguably Leone's best movie.

Avoid the MGM DVD entitled "Duck You Sucker AKA A Fistful of Dynamite" because they butchered it.

>>82100500

He has the least screen time of all the main characters.
>>
>>82100378
The thing about Fistful is that once you watch the others you realize just how weak it is next to them
>>
>>82100435
Don't pay attention to this contrarian >>82100588

It's not Leone's best by any stretch of imagination, he even reluctantly directed it when the original director dropped it, he was just going to produce it. And while it does have its moments of brilliance and it's worth watching, you can tell his heart wasn't 100% in it.
>>
Is the Dollars trilogy the perfect movie trilogy?
>>
>>82100203
My favorite part of this story is how he told Leone he'd have to wait for him since he had already agreed to paint some guy's house around the time he wanted him for the part. Leone said that's when he knew Van Cleef was based irl too.
>>
>>82100307
Guess I'm just a retard who didn't realize the connection until Mortimer took out his own necklace.
>>
>>82100748
>>82100203

You left out the part where he was ambushed by Leone in a parking lot.

That's dedication.

Bless Leone for bringing Lee Van Cleef to Italy. He made like a dozen Italian westerns afterwards.
>>
>>82100851
I Giorni Dell'ira, Da Uomo a Uomo and La Resa Dei Conti are fucking awesome.
>>
>>82101675

Just say "Day of Anger", "Death Rides a Horse" and "The Big Gundown" you hipster.
>>
>>82097764
I honestly have no idea OP, I thought it was bland as fuck
>>
>>82100266

>Tier 1
The Good, The bad, and the Ugly
For a Few Dollars More

>Tier 2
Duck, You Sucker
A Fistfull of Dollars
Harmonica

>Tier 3
One Upon a Time in the West

Why do people always ignore Harmonica?
>>
>>82104161

you forgot Kino God tier: Wild Wild West
>>
>>82098626
Shit list. Pathetic.
>>
>>82104161
>The Good, The bad, and the Ugly
I don't know what people see in this. I saw it a while ago and it was just meh. I've noticed this about a lot of critically acclaimed old movies, Citizen Kane was awful. 12 Angry Men was amazing though.
>>
>>82097764
>it doesnt have rooty tooty action scenes with big boombos and kersplodos so its bad :(
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPnR7C8mZQ&

try and shoot me colonel
>>
>>82104537

For me the thing that makes TGTBTU such a great movie is pretty much the same as why i love Easy rider so much.

While it's more loose on narration, the direction, the music, the characters and the landscape makes the movie come alive.

The finale of the TGTBTU is probably one of the top 10 finales ever.
>>
File: onceuponatimetherewasabitch.jpg (224KB, 800x300px) Image search: [Google]
onceuponatimetherewasabitch.jpg
224KB, 800x300px
Only thing that bothered me was her character. Really fucking annoying and irrational.
Other than that great western, probably my favorite or at least top 5
>>
>>82104738
how is she irrational
>>
File: 0002_EcstasyOfGold003.jpg (271KB, 850x364px) Image search: [Google]
0002_EcstasyOfGold003.jpg
271KB, 850x364px
>>82104644
I get goose bumps during the Ecstasy of Gold scene every time. 2 plus hours building towards such a kino moment. It's incredible.
>>
>>82104940
I had made a post about it in the past right after watching the film, now I can remember why I hated her.
>In the entire movie I couldn't understand at all what the fuck she was doing, what her motives were (if she had any other than mere survival) or anything about her.
>She was attached to nothing emotionally and whatever she seemed attached to she could forget about it few scenes later, no will, nothing. Was she intentionally bad written or did they forget about her while writing the whole thing?
>>
>>82105022

One of the best movie scenes ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOr0na6mKJQ
>>
>>82097764
Damn the taste is getting even worse on this cancer of a board, go wash your mouth before you talk shit about true Kino.
>>
>>82104738
>her character. Really fucking annoying and irrational.
It's another "/tv/ gets triggered by a woman in a leading role" episode.
She was great and the film wouldn't be the classic it is, if it was only Harmonicas revenge story.
>>
>>82105143
they can elaborate the fact that humans irl don't act as robots but actually ahve conflicting feelings.
BESIDES, she was a women widow in the far west in the 1800th, the only reason why she didn't get sexually assaulted and then killed is because she would fight for her land.
>>
>>82105143
Nah I posted an explanation on why I didn't like her. There was practically no character. I am not bashing Ursulla, I think the writing was incredibly stupid.
You sound a lot more triggered than I am.
>>
>>82105221
>Ursula
*Claudia Cardinale
>>
>>82097764
the plot and characters are very grand and defined, it's almost operatic
>>
>>82104738
Ha ha yeah but how about those tits
>>
Honestly don't know how you can watch a scene like this and not consider it brilliant filmmaking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqTfBysL0wE
>>
>>82105878
this is the kind of thing Tarantino wishes he could emulate
>>
The opening scene was great but the rest was mediocre. I hated the harmonica spam and the main theme annoyed me. First scene works so well because it isn't tainted by the shitty music the rest of the film has.

>>82105044
She had already left her entire life behind to move out west. She really had nothing going on in her life at all once she saw her new family was killed. At that point, what else would you care about beside survival?
>>
It's an hour's worth of story stretched out to nearly three. So fucking boring.

>>82098626
Correct.
>>
>>82106191
>First scene works so well because it isn't tainted by the shitty music the rest of the film has

haha
>>
>>82100704
No, that would be the Back to the Future Trilogy. And part 3 is a better Western than Once Upon a Time in America.
>>
>>82106031
True. Tbh I like Taranchula but wish he stuck doing the dialog heavy style of his early work, because that's obviously where his strengths were.
>>
>>82106413
>wish he stuck doing the dialog heavy style of his early work

the hateful eight felt incredibly laboured to me though
>>
>>82100378
>once upon a time in america
>western
??????
>>
>>82097764
>movie made in 1968 about events only 50 years ago
>>
All westerns are crap

Prove me wrong
>>
>>82098709

How about the Finale?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mMd6D1Gw1g
>>
>>82105878
Goosebumps every time.
>>
>>82100266
It's

Once Upon a Time In The West
The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
For a Few Dollars More
A Fistfull of Dollars
Duck, You sucker

for me.
>>
The bar scene is great

Do you only know how to play
Or do you know how to shoot?
https://youtu.be/2B2gKcLkygI
>>
>>82098626
tGtBatU unironically belongs at the top. Not because of its normie meme power ranking, but its deep look at the lives of people and soldiers in a country at war. Not the best western, but the best film.

F
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q951qv7EbKs
>>
>>82100253
>you will never look deep into Indio's steely eyes as he ashes his blunt on your wife's back while forcing you to fuck her for him
>>
>>82105878
Not bad, I still think Harmonica's origin/staredown was better. Or at least more intense
>>
once upon a time in the west is pure KINO
fuck u fags that hate on it
>>
File: dent pfft.jpg (2MB, 2349x2933px) Image search: [Google]
dent pfft.jpg
2MB, 2349x2933px
>>82097764
Not as good GBU. Got a lot of weird plotholes at the end kind of. But art is generally improved by imperfection. Wabi sabi and such.

It's a giant sweeping epic that was and still is a technically impressive masterwork. What's your fucking problem with it OP?
>>
>>82100435
It's an excellent "anti-Zapata"-western. Any other director would probably not have had both protagonists be so lukewarm about the revolution. Compare it to "A bullet for the General", which has a very similar plot.
>>
>>82105878

Fonda as the villain being brilliant is a relentless movie-buff cliche... but goddamn is it accurate! Frank was a well played and well written character.
>>
>>82111298
>>82105878
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHI6Hl7FUqA
>>
File: 1489654835932.jpg (35KB, 650x366px) Image search: [Google]
1489654835932.jpg
35KB, 650x366px
I hope you niggers don't forget that the Dollars trilogy aren't sequels, they're standalone films with just the same actors.
>>
>>82097764
It's literally the best western there is. Plebs please get out
>>
>>82111601

There are a lot of allusions in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly to it being a prequel but yeah, it doesn't make sense.

Joe/Manco/Blondie gets rich at the end of every movie. He wouldn't be chasing more dough.
>>
Because its an excellent film and a surprisingly good pleb filter.
>>
>>82111298
It'd be like hiring Tom Hanks to play a sociopathic nazi or something today.

If /tv/ existed back then there would have been so much pre-release shitposting about how dumb the movie is going to be casting the 12 angry men niceguy to be a western villain.
>>
>>82111298
It was also one of Fonda's favorite roles.
>>
>>82097764
>>82098458
>>82098626
>>82098781
plebs
>>
>>82106284
Part 3 is insanely underwhelming dude
>>
>>82106284
ur a faggot
>>
>>82112973
You're thinking of BttF 2.
>>
>>82104537
>Even a tramp like me, no matter what happens, I know there's a brother who won't refuse me a bowl of soup

Tears coming down my face senpai
Thread posts: 101
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.