[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Isn't he a general? Why is he so good at single combat?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: gladiator-06.jpg (4MB, 2275x3500px) Image search: [Google]
gladiator-06.jpg
4MB, 2275x3500px
Isn't he a general? Why is he so good at single combat?
>>
most generals and lords are good at single combat due to being able to afford tutoring and rigorous combat training

also didn't he work his way up to his army probably with his battle merit
>>
>>82073481
>myth of the warrior-poet leader gai

army of one brah!
Yvanehtnioj
>>
He's a great general of the heavens
>>
>>82073513
yeah I think he ranked up
>>
>>82073481
Because he was trained.

Not to mention in those days it was pretty rare to be an armchair general.

He's also Hispanic and therefore naturally good in a knife fight.
>>
>an Australian Spaniard who speaks English and knows all about frost on blades

turned off the tv at that point
>>
>>82073481
back in the old days you had to grind maximum combat experience before being allowed to take command of a warband :^)

source, most ancient "100% historically accurate works of propaganda"
>>
>>82073665
>Not to mention in those days it was pretty rare to be an armchair general.

>Implying Roman generals weren't mostly politicians supposed to show themselves in battle to gain political influence.
>>
>>82073706
wait what does frost do to the sword?
>>
>>82073481
Because generals were from patrician families, and patrician men were taught to fight as well. Also, some Roman generals would go 1v1 against the barbarian generals in pure hand-to-hand combat if I remember right. I can't remember his name, but there was this one general who had beaten some of the best Balkan generals in these kind of situations. They would take a part of their armor as prize if I remember right. Can't remember exactly what.
>>
>>82073481

high ranking military guys in those times were mostly nobles who were raised up to do that kind of shit
>>
>>82073481
He shouldve been of senatorial rank. Pissed me off he was portrayed as a literal pleb. Fucking retarded.
>>
>>82073665
study some hisotry retard
>>
>>82074068
The senetorial class was shit by then

the plebs were more powerful and influential.
>>
>>82073850
Sure, but they were schooled in a lot of other things as well, unlike a common soldier. I'm willing to bet that typical politician patrician general with or without combat training was well below an average veteran soldier in terms of 1on1 fighting skill.
>>
>>82073481
Because ancient men actually had skin in the game and it wasn't uncommon for them to fight along side their soldiers.
>>
>>82073850
>>american public school education

you poor poor kuk
>>
>>82074103
Well technically the plebeian class could enter the senatorial class, most of the senate by that time were plebs anyway. Hell augustus was born a pleb. Shouldve probably said nu-pleb (as in a dirty uncultured swine). But the point is that maximus should be a man off significant social standing, not just a rough soldier farmer.
>>
>>82073481
Movies tend to be about exceptional people and happenings, a story about a general being purged and unceremoniously executed in the arena would make for a fine historical anecdote in a textbook but poor material for an epic movie.
>>
File: AJLoxE1.png (36KB, 376x405px) Image search: [Google]
AJLoxE1.png
36KB, 376x405px
>>82073481
You know, his rank was really unclear. Was he a legate? Aren't those governors and senators? Is he a military tribune? That doesn't make much sense either since that was also mostly a political thing. Is he a centurion? That wouldn't be translated as "general though, more likely "major" or something.

What the fuck was he?
>>
>>82073762
>It's the frost, it sometimes makes the blade stick.
>>
>>82074377
Legate, with the fictional fenix legions under his command. I'm assuming it's just one legion plus auxilia. If he commanded multiple legions he wouldve been a governor and the movie never alluded to that. But its basically fantasy anyway.
>>
>>82074377
He was commander of the Felix legion so basically the equivalent of a modern day colonel.
>>
>>82074448
Or felix, i forgot
>>
he wasn't a general he was a gladiator you idiots
>>
>>82074490
Well not exactly, the primus pilus would be more akin to a modern day colonel. It's a messy comparison anyway as the modern officer corps differs quite a lot. Maximus, assuming he was just a legate (only commanding one legion ca. the marcomannic wars would be a modern day major or brigadier general. But like i said, that comparison is messy.
>>
File: 1commodus420.jpg (60KB, 420x280px) Image search: [Google]
1commodus420.jpg
60KB, 420x280px
>>82073481
Literally everyone on this board would have done exactly what he did.

Don't even lie.
>>
File: feelius.jpg (244KB, 677x782px) Image search: [Google]
feelius.jpg
244KB, 677x782px
>be young patrician
>read greek philosophers and shit talk at the forum with the other grekaboos
>dad says im too soft, sends me to the legions with a horse
>i can write, so i become aide to a tribune, pretty comfy POG job where i can still read the greeks while copying documents
>food sucks so I either go days without shitting or spend days pissing blood from my ass
>fucking germans revolt
>chaddeus normaticus gets killed, tribune makes me decurion of chad's auxiliary cavalry wing since he's short on people he can trust
>my men are always laughing when we're on patrol but i cant understand illlyrian or dalmatian or whatever barbarshit they speak.
>they only follow orders half the time
>they bully me into giving up my rations
>complain to my tribune
>tells me to man the fuck up and get my shit together or we're all crucified
>arrayed for battle against rebels
>receive orders to charge the front of an enemy spear formation
>my men refuse to do so
>i threaten them with a whip
>they laugh and ride off, i chase them
>i lose them in the forest and get lost
>return to camp hours later, exhausted, hungry, absolutely hating myself
>we won the battle, but pretty much all romans of worth were killed, including the general
>my men find me, look and smirk at each other, proclaim me imperator
>whole army gets hyped up, parties hard, then sets up to march on rome
>i am now a fucking rebel usurper

guys help, im out of my element
>>
>>82074068
Wasn't he literally a land owner?
>>
File: thrax.jpg (121KB, 730x972px) Image search: [Google]
thrax.jpg
121KB, 730x972px
>>82074947
Don't worry, what can possibly go wrong?
>>
>>82073481

looking at the thumbnail i honestly thought that was Jon Snow
>>
>>82076822
neck yourself
>>
>>82074769
I'd kill Maximus ASAP instead of messing around and I wouldn't let my petty foibles interfere with securing my reign
>>
>>82075064
Thats not saying much, he would have a a large fucking villa with servants at the very least.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.