[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memes aside, is Spider-Man 2 the greatest capekino of all time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: man of spiders 2.jpg (439KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
man of spiders 2.jpg
439KB, 1000x1500px
Memes aside, is Spider-Man 2 the greatest capekino of all time?
>>
>>82070260
yES
>>
>>82070260
Up there with Blade 1-2
>>
>>82070260
I dunno, might have been if it wasn't for all that racist shit Raimi put in it
>>
Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man > The Amazing Spider-Man > Spider-Man 3 > The Amazing Spider-Man 2
>>
>>82070260
It's pretty good but Batman '89,
X2 and Logan are better in my opinion.

It's funny how people argue about the MCU and DCEU even though they are both absolute shit and Sony and Fox as well as pre DCEU Warner Brothers made way way better superhero movies.
>>
Undoubtedly
>>
>>82070378
Don't take it the wrong way, Logan was good, but you're gonna have a pretty tough time justifying how it's better than Raimi's Spiderman
>>
>>82070331
blade2 wtf?
>>
>>82070260
Of the 98 theatrically-released capsehit films I've seen, I have Spider-Man 2 at number 35.

The train sequence is obviously excellent (and I liked the emergency-room scene, too), but Mary-Jane's characterisation across the film is extremely poor, both in comparison to the original film but also confined within this one. In the first one you can appreciate that she's in an abusive home and wants to feel safe so latches onto the popular guy at school and then the rich heir, but in this one she's a complete fucking cunt who treats Peter like shit for the entire film, finds out he's Spider-Man, then goes back to her astronaut boyfriend and takes it doggy-style for another few days until she's finished being a whore and leaves him at the alter to run to Peter and fuck him while still in her wedding dress meant for the other guy. The general shittiness of the love interest in this movie really brought it down for me.
Also, one of the film's most important elements is Peter giving up being Spider-Man then deciding that's a mistake - but this doesn't occur across the movie. From his dumping of the suit in the alley to taking it back from Jameson's office, only fifteen minutes of screentime pass. The pacing is atrocious.

Basically, Doc Ock was cool, and a lot of his scenes were cool, and the rest was fairly average. It's fine. Probably a 6/10. It's certainly overrated.
>>
>>82070260

Yes. Raimi's Spider-Man films, or the two that wern't seriously damaged by studio meddling, are like the perfect blend of comic book accuracy and and artistic directorial vision. (Something missing in the assembly line process that produces most blockbuster super hero films of today.)

Not a 1:1 translation, but more of a Sam Raimi spin on classic Spider-Man moments and characters with many scenes and shots being lifted straight from the comics but given new life by a director that knows how to turn them into something cinematic. He nails the juggling of tones that is Peter's life, he gets gets all of the iconic beats in there with a fresh new spin, and crafted relatable stories that struck a balance between being able to stand alone and be appreciated by fans of the source material.You can also tell that Raimi was actually a huge fan of the source material, even if it took more from the classic comics he grew up with than more modern incarnations. Everyone involved seemed like they were having a blast making it, as the genre expectations and therefore studio pressure on the project wern't quite what they are today, and that heart really shows through in the film.

They feel like real movies, as opposed to today's "Comic Book Movies".

If that makes sense.
>>
File: IMG_2221.jpg (240KB, 1024x772px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2221.jpg
240KB, 1024x772px
>>82070418
I'm a little biased. My childhood was during the peak X-Men craze of the early 90s with the Jim Lee comics, the toy biz action figures, the cartoon and the fleer trading cards. I liked Spider-Man but X-Men has always been my favorite franchise. Logan also happened to come out when I recently lost a family member and found out I'm going to be a dad. It's a really special movie for me.
>>
>>82070260
The entire raimi saga is the best capekino
I dont think you can even call it cape at this point
>>82070352
>putting le amazong over anything
ETERNAL TRIPFAG

I think Raimiderman will be approved by pretty much any one on /tv/ true /tv/ core
>>
File: batman-66-villains.jpg (86KB, 432x259px) Image search: [Google]
batman-66-villains.jpg
86KB, 432x259px
>>
>>82070260
Memes aside is a meme.

OP is a faggot
>>
>>82070579
>Of the 98 theatrically-released capsehit films I've seen, I have Spider-Man 2 at number 35.
Since you gave it such a specific rank, I assume you have everything on file. Care to list those 34 you've placed above it? I'm curious.
>>
> what is unbreakable
>>
>>82070798
T R I P
R
I
P
>>
>>82070813
I can tell this is going to end badly for me.

1. 1978 Superman
2. 2012 Dredd
3. 2004 The Incredibles
4. 1989 Batman
5. 2008 Iron Man
6. 2005 Batman Begins
7. 2002 Spider-Man
8. 2017 Logan
9. 1993 Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
10. 2008 The Dark Knight
11. 2003 X2
12. 2000 Unbreakable
13. 2012 The Avengers
14. 2016 Doctor Strange
15. 1994 The Shadow
16. 2009 Watchmen
17. 2014 Guardians of the Galaxy
18. 2014 Captain America: The Winter Soldier
19. 2016 Deadpool
20. 2014 The Amazing Spider-Man 2
21. 1992 Batman Returns
22. 2000 X-Men
23. 2012 Chronicle
24. 2008 The Incredible Hulk
25. 2006 V for Vendetta
26. 2010 Kick-Ass
27. 2010 Super
28. 2011 X-Men: First Class
29. 1998 Blade
30. 2011 Thor
31. 2015 Avengers: Age of Ultron
32. 1994 The Crow
33. 2016 X-Men: Apocalypse
34. 2016 Captain America: Civil War
>>
>>82070352

Nah m8

Spider-Man 2 > Spider-Man > Spider-Man 3 > The Amazing Spider-Man 2 > The Amazing Spider-Man

Only correct answer.

My reasoning being that, watched as trainwrecks and unintentional comedies, SM3 and TASM2 are more enjoyable than TASM, which is just straight up boring. Spider-Man 3 also has the added benefit of having characters that we already know/like/care about, and that investment alone makes it better than anything in Mark Webb's films despite the fact that is about on the same level of objectively terrible.
>>
>>82070338
???

Explain
>>
>>82070874
random question but are you a grill?
>>
File: dafoe oscorp spiderman.png (672KB, 1277x718px) Image search: [Google]
dafoe oscorp spiderman.png
672KB, 1277x718px
>>82070874
>20: The Amazing Spider-Man 2
>35: Spider-Man 2

>I can tell this is going to end badly for me.
You've got that right
>>
>>82070874

While I don't agree with the order of every film on there, there's nothing blatantly wrong...

Except how low you've ranked Spider-Man 2.

Like, lower than Thor? Common nigga.
>>
File: raimiposting heart.jpg (70KB, 1024x437px) Image search: [Google]
raimiposting heart.jpg
70KB, 1024x437px
>>82070925
>he didn't see the raimi director's cut
>>
>>82070916
Spiderman 3 was meant to be comedy kino my man
>>
>>82070999
this tbqh
>>
>>82070925
"You know, Peter, with great power comes great responsibility. Rudyard Kipling called it "White Man's Burden." Myself, I just call it as I see it: the responsibility of the master to discipline the servant."
Ben looks directly at the camera.
"The niggers, the spics, the chinks...It's our responsibility to civilize them. And if we can't? Then they shall dangle from the elm tree. The Day of the Rope is near, Pete. We'll have every nigger in this country dead or in chains in 10 years, and may God have me shot in a carjacking this very night if I'm wrong. God bless the American Nazi Party."

Damn Raimi is such a madman, that would never go well with today's audience.
>>
>>82070931
Er. No. Did that ranking come across as particularly feminine?

>>82070939
I only had one problem with TASM2 and that was Harry Osborn. I legitimately enjoyed Foxx, I liked the music, and what I really loved were the two scenes where Spider-Man interacts with children. That moment where he stops to tell some bullies to leave a kid alone was great, and the very last scene where he high-fives the kid and tells him to run along back to his mother and let him handle the bad guy was fucking magic. That's what superheroes should be.

>>82070953
Eh. I mean, not much lower. My feelings on Thor are very similar to Spider-Man 2. Great villain, average hero, shitty love interest. Hopkins > Aunt May.
>>
>>82070874
have you gotten Amazing Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man 2 mixed up? The fuck is it doing to high, give me one (1) good reason it deserves to be on that list at all
>>
>>82071052
>Peter, there's nothing wrong with pumping a few IQ points into a sheboon's womb. Just make sure you don't give her your real name. I've had to cure the odd case of jungle fever on quite a few occasions myself, and Lord knows most of the halflings in Harlem are wondering where old Papa Ben went. But Peter, if I ever see you bring a sheboon home, I'll tie the noose myself."

What did he mean by this? How did this make it into the script?
>>
1º - The Dark Knight
2º - Man Of Steel
3º - Spiderman 2
4 º - Blade

Original.
>>
>>82071067
see >>82071060. Also, I much preferred Stone to Dunst in their respective films. And I preferred Garfield's Spider-Man to Maguire's.
Spider-Man is supposed to be wise-cracking as he fights, and Garfield did that great in the second film. The closest we got to a Maguire wise-crack was "It's you who's out, Gobby, out of your mind!" which was just cringe-worthy. He didn't even try to be witty in Spider-Man 2.

Again, Osborn in TASM2 is fucking woeful but that's really the only huge criticism I had of that movie.
>>
>>82071091
Underrated
>>
>>82071160

Not trying to make you mad or anything, but I think you might just have shit taste friend.

>Again, Osborn in TASM2 is fucking woeful but that's really the only huge criticism I had of that movie.

Because there's is a mountain of issues with Amazing Spider-Man 2 with actually story stuff like that being the tip of the ice berg. Bad pacing, bad editing, too many subplots, too many subplots that go nowhere, more pointless characters than the overstuffed Spider-Man 3, tonal inconsistencies out the whazoo, a shit ton of plotholes, weak character motivations because in many cases half their scenes were left on the cutting room floor, etc. etc.

It's a Frankenstein's monster of a movie made by committee. They literally shot like four hours of random subplots with no real concrete goal or direction for the story, and just kind of tried to stitch a movie together from the fragmented pieces.

And it really shows.

The amount of shit they shot that didn't make it into the final product is insane. I could write a whole essay about that all of the things wrong with that movie, and without comparing it to Raimi's trilogy once.
>>
>>82071160
>And I preferred Garfield's Spider-Man to Maguire's.
and i'd prefer if you dipped ya fuckin bawbag in a vat of acid ya CUNT
>>
>>82071404
>Bad pacing
>tonal inconsistencies out the whazoo
No worse than Spider-Man 2's, which is what we're comparing it to. Not that I think either film had a problem with tone.

>bad editing
Didn't notice. Do you mean within the continuity of the film as a whole or within specific scenes? I should mention that I've only seen the film once and that was when it was in theatres, so it's very possible you're right on this.

>more pointless characters than the overstuffed Spider-Man 3
I don't think so. Makes the world feel more authentic. There are pointless characters in a lot of films that I don't believe are inherently negative presences.

>a shit ton of plotholes, , etc. etc.
Such as?

>too many subplots
>too many subplots that go nowhere
>weak character motivations because in many cases half their scenes were left on the cutting room floor
This is all fair. I guess it just didn't bother me as much as you.

>a movie made by committee
I hear that said a lot about it, and while I can certainly appreciate it (they were obviously trying and failing to emulate Marvel Studios), Webb's style was all over it. I don't know if you've seen 500 Days of Summer but TASM2 felt like that movie far, far more than TASM did, especially with regard to the scene showing the seasons pass in the cemetery and the self-referential jokes.
>>
>>82071404
>Not trying to make you mad
>I think you might just have shit taste
(You)
>>
>>82071091
Most of this kinda stuff was improv, actually. Cliff Robertson in particular (like raimi himself) was a real old school sorta guy, so raimi just let him take it wherever he wanted
>>
>>82071772

There's nothing wrong with having shit taste as long as you're self aware about it.

For example, my favorite Marvel movie is Howard the Duck.
>>
>>82071709

The tonal inconsistencies stem more from them being unable to decide whether they want to carry over the more grounded tone of the first film, or make the film sillier to appeal to the MCU crowd. It's more jarring than anything in Spider-Man 2 in my opinion, as that movie was doing it intentionally and with a bit more tact.

I'm talking about the continuity of the film as a whole. This stems into the whole character thing too. The movie is two and a half hours long, and you could cut almost an hour out of it an lose pretty much nothing. I'm fine with having characters in small roles that exist to flesh out the world, but not when it comes at the expense of having a movie feel overly bloated and long. The worst offender is Aunt May's entire subplot and the superfluous ticking clock element it added that served no real purpose in Peter's story. As a matter of fact, I don't even think Peter was aware it was happening iirc. They just HAD to have her doing something, instead of just having her there and interacting with Peter organically. It's pointless filler that detracts from the main narrative.

Many of the plotholes I remember being upset about stem from inconsistencies in how Electro's powers function, though admittedly I haven't seen the movie in years so the details are fuzzy.
>>
>>82072083
I actually totally forgot about that Aunt May health subplot, so that's also fair enough.

Since I'm assuming this was you here >>82071819 replying to the other anon, I think you'll understand when I say that the list I posted is in the order of how much I liked them, rather than an attempt at objectively stating the order of quality (which would arguably be impossible anyway).

TASM2's treatment of what it means to be a superhero (especially with regard to the kid), and the relationship between Garfield and Stone, as well as the music and visual effects all made for a really enjoyable film. And I thought Foxx was solid. Nowhere near Dafoe but nearly as good as Molina.
>>
File: palpatine.jpg (106KB, 1456x816px) Image search: [Google]
palpatine.jpg
106KB, 1456x816px
>>82071052
>"You know, Anakin, with great mastery of the force comes great responsibility. Darth Plagueis called it "The Sith's Burden." Myself, I just call it as I see it: the responsibility of the master to discipline the servant."
>Sheev looks directly at the camera.
>"The Jedi, the Wookies, the Bith...on The Day of Order 66 they shall all swing from the wroshyr. We will have all Jedi dead or in chains in the next ten years, and if I'm wrong may The Force have me deformed by my own force lightning this very night. God bless the Coruscanti Republican Party."

Powerful, powerful stuff.
>>
>>82070338
This.
Go back to /pol/, OP.
>>
>>82070609
I agree 100%
>>
File: 1490718512196.jpg (11KB, 229x221px) Image search: [Google]
1490718512196.jpg
11KB, 229x221px
>>82070352
>krager
>>
>>82071060
>I liked the music
spida spida man he lied-a me ma enemy spida
>>
File: 144102893009774.jpg (56KB, 1022x547px) Image search: [Google]
144102893009774.jpg
56KB, 1022x547px
>>82072808
>The Jedi, the Wookies, the Bith...on The Day of Order 66 they shall all swing from the wroshyr
>>
File: whoaraimi.jpg (60KB, 500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
whoaraimi.jpg
60KB, 500x1000px
>Spider-Man 2 the greatest capekino of all time
>has this flashback scene included literally for no reason
wew raimi
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.