[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

the new mst3k is shit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 2

File: New-MST3k.jpg (753KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
New-MST3k.jpg
753KB, 1400x700px
the new mst3k is shit
>>
mst3k is shit
>>
it's the same damn show. if you hate this, you hate mst3k period.
>>
>>82024515
nah, the new one is really tumblrish
>>
>>82024535
it really isn't though
>>
>>82024549
If you remove Felcia and Fat guy then yeh
>>
its always been le quirky faggot reddit trash
>>
>>82024566
oswalt's feig fanboying definatly makes it hard for me to like the new one
>>
>>82024584
This. How boring and uncreative do you have to be to watch someone crack jokes at THE EASIEST THINGS TO CRACK JOKES AT (terrible movies) for you? I never found it funny or appealing at all. I think it was a pre-internet friend/hangout-simulator, thus the awful fanbase.
>>
>>82024566
well i haven't seen either of them in anything else and I don't give a shit what they write on their tumblr/twittr/whatevr or whether reddit "nerds" idolizes them or not, I just judge them on their job here, and they're a perfectly adequate cliché mad scientist/weasly assistant duo, in fact I like felicia better than aunt pearl
>>
>>82024631
The internet existed when the original mst3k aired, you stupid fucking moron.
>>
I don't necessarily think that it's shit, just "meh". The new cast isn't clicking with me, and their delivery in the theater is off somehow. By contrast, I can still go back and watch Rifftrax, or an episode of the original series (CC or Sci Fi), and still find it funny as hell, so it's not like I've "grown out" of the formula.
>>
>>82024654
well it started in 1988
>>
>>82024654
>the internet was facebook and twitter back in the 90s

Your youth is showing, kid.
>>
>>82024677
>1988
>77
>88
Neat
Anyways where can I watch it
>>
It's pretty good actually, if you like the old ones then this is pretty much just more of the same. Obviously it's different in some ways but it's still just some people making fun of stupid movies with dumb skits in between.
>>
>>82024631
Generally agree but technically the origin is Woody Allen's first movie What's Up Tigerlilly which is removed from the audience aspect
>>
The thing I can't stand about the new one is the way the jokes have been dumbed down to appeal to normies. I had to turn it off when they threw the word "hashtag" into a riff. It also feels like they need to burst into song segments every 5 minutes and make sure all references are pop-culture related.
>>
>>82024709
No worries
Found it
>>
>>82024734
Lol. The origin is making fun of movies with pals.
>>
>>82024746
after they mentioned tinder i was out
>>
>>82024757
Well cinematically that's the origin. Mst3k is very far from solely making fun of movies. A very large portion is line substitution which is what Woody Allen did.
>>
>>82024767
Fortunately, if I watched that episode I wasn't paying attention for that joke. It's just so cringeworthy.
>>
>>82024784
Pretty sure it's just parallel evolution, unless you have a source stating otherwise that's what I'm going to continue to believe
>>
>>82024846
Parallel? It happened 20 years before them. I don't understand what your problem is.
>>
The return was a mst3k
>>
In 30 years these will all be obscure references the way mst3k seems now.
>>
>>82024869
The one wasn't inspired by the other, their similarities are merely coincidence. That's my only problem
>>
>>82024895
Here's a (You)
>>
>>82024930
I very seriously doubt none of them had seen the first Woody Allen movie or had not even known about it. Sorry we didn't have this conversation sooner I couldve asked them when I met Frank and Trace last week.
>>
>>82024509
/thread
>>
Enh. It's alright. It just takes some time to get adjusted to the new stuff. Like when Joel left and Mike took over, or the Mads left and Mama Forrester came on. After a few episodes, things have grown on me.
My only real complaint, about the new version and the original, is when the movie is something I had absolutely no desire to watch. Riffing on a shit movie may be exceptionally funny, but underneath, it's still a shit movie. I like to have a little bit of invested interest in something if I'm going to watch them riff on it.
That's the one reason I really dislike some of the 'fan favorites'.
>>
>>82024962
You doubt one way, I doubt the other. Without a source I guess we'll just have to continue to have our doubts.
>>
>>82024986
No youre in denial big difference. For some reason gee I wonder why. Not to mention you're probably just butthurt that you didn't know about it.
>>
>>82025017
This isn't going to lead to any fruitful discussion. If you can provide a source proving that MST3K was inspired by What's up Tigerlily I'll gladly agree with you.

I'm not going to present bonafides or respond to your provocation because what's the point of that? Either there's a SOURCE or YOU HAVE NO SOURCE. That's it, end of story
>>
>>82025051
I like how you keep putting words in my mouth. I said that was the origin. If you wanna technically talk about inspired then there's shit like 1982 It Came From Hollywood

But according to you they had no idea any of these things existed until we find an actual interview. Like I said I would've asked them myself but you're literally the first person I've ever heard assert otherwise.
>>
>>82025102
>I said that was the origin
And, barring a source, I personally doubt that's the case because making fun of theater is a pretty old tradition predating motion pictures.

There is no source, you've made that plain now. So, we're just left with our unconfirmed theories and doubts.
>>
>>82025153
The first fucking thing I said was that the film was line substitution. Big difference. Jesus fuck off you can't even follow a conversation.
>>
>>82025207
Line substitution was your third sentence. Your first was
>Well cinematically that's the origin
And in any case there still hasn't been provided any proof of lineage.

Please stop being wrong all the time.
>>
>>82025153
>>82025051
John seriously man. Stop this shit. It's one of the reasons you lost most of your friends.
>>
>nu-male mike nelson

disgusting
>>
From the official MST3k FAQ:
>In 1966, Woody Allen released a movie called "What's Up Tiger Lily?" in which he threw out the soundtrack of a horrible Japanese spy movie and dubbed in his own satirical soundtrack, creating a vaguely MST3K-like experience. (The original movie, for the record, was 1964's "Kagi No Kag" -- English translation: "Key of Keys.")
>That same concept -- dubbing new dialog over old movies -- was used in the 1980s for a syndicated TV series called "Mad Movies with the L.A. Connection." When The L.A. Connection performed live, they did so from the front row of an L.A. theater. There are reports of underground comedy teams in San Francisco and Los Angeles in the late 1960s who experimented with humorous commentary of movies, etc.
>There was also the 1982 movie, "It Came From Hollywood," in which Dan Ackroyd, John Candy, Cheech and Chong, Gilda Radner and others provided comical narration to clips from several B-grade films.

Adding to this, there was a show in the early 60's called Fractured Flickers starring Hans Conried, where people, mostly Paul Fries, would over dub old silent movies.
The art of "riffing" on media goes back to Shakespearean theatre, where he had characters mocking a boring play. Then there was also the Greek Chorus which acted as a go between between the audience and the performers. Breaking the 4th wall as it were.

So yes, Of the things that went into the making of MST3K, one of the 'seeds' is without a doubt Tiger Lilly. I mean the guys were all HUGE film freaks FFS How could they not know about something as popular (at the time) as WuTL?
>>
It's literally every single twitter SJW nu-male in one show.

How the fuck did this happen?
>>
>patton cuckwort
>>
>>82025269
http://www.metroactive.com/metro/05.14.08/arts-0820.html

"Seeing Woody Allen's What's Up Tiger Lilly was another thing that started me off."

Happy to spoonfeed you.
>>
>>82025567
I retract all previous comments and apologize.
>>
>>82024481

Gee, what a surprise.

I mean, whenever they dig up corpses and rape them for a few extra shekels, it always goes well right?

And I mean, bringing in faux geek rabidly political autistic screechers to shit up a perfectly benign property is just going to be the icing on the cake, yeah?

>>82024515

Literally "no".
>>
>>82024649

>Their job here

Was shit.

Just like the new show.

Nostalgia milking like this is pitiful and pathetic. Just like you.
>>
>>82024978
Yeah, there's just some movies that even they can't save. Monster a Go-Go is one that comes to mind. In recent years, I've found that some of my favorite episodes are the Russo-Finnish movies (Day the Earth Froze, Magic Voyage of Sinbad, The Magic Sword, and Jack Frost). They're just so visually interesting, the plots are compelling enough to keep you going, and they're just goofy enough to serve the riffing.
>>
>>82025529

Fake geeks like Felicia Day finding a long dead geek favorite and resurrecting to milk fake geek bux?

I'm surprised Will Wheaton isn't involved.

This is the sort of person the show is made for;

https://youtu.be/BvMIbD-izMs
>>
>>82025590
Roll your apology into a ball and shove it up your urethra, you fucking shitlord.
There's always some fuck-off like you that has to turn a relatively decent conversation into an argument because you're too fucking proud to admit somebody might know something you don't. Then people have to do backflips just to get you to shut up.
Most people are happy to earn something new about a subject, but your kind take it as an insult.
>>
>>82024515
>Patton Oswalt
>Whil Wheaton
>Camel

No
>>
>>82025669
I suppose that's fair.

I'm sorry.
>>
>>82025590
Apology accepted

But only because the previous post laid into you.
>>
>>82024481

>CIS straight white men
>token PoC
>no WoC or female representation on the show, severe lack of diversity

Gee I wonder why it's shit. Bye.
>>
>>82025669
This.
>>
>>82025689
And to be fair I learned something new as well. WuTL was the only thing I knew about which apparently isn't the origin after all because of Fractured Flicks.
>>
>>82025636
Those are some of my favorites.
I can't stand Manos, the Coleman Francis movies, Pod People, etc.
Even with the jokes it's like eating a bowl of gravel.
Give me Teenage Strangler any day. It was absolute shit, but there were some really interesting parts that they played off of, that makes it one of my favorites.
>>
>>82025666
>dat video
>i'm a le epic nerd because zelda, comic books, nintendo, harry potter

why are millennial "nerds" such massive consumer whores?
>>
>>82024481
I'm loving the new season.
>>
Even ignoring the tumblr tier virtue signaling they ruin a lot of their own jokes.

In the Yongary episode Patton Oswalt says that Yongary makes Gamera look like a movie and I chuckled but then I realised he was still talking and that wasn't the punchline. They do it all the time.

And Felicia Day is just awful, I have no idea why she's famous. She isn't funny, smart, or attractive and she can't act.

Or sing, fuck me by far the worst bits so far are whenever they decide to have a song.
>>
File: Fractured Flickers 018.jpg (15KB, 400x252px) Image search: [Google]
Fractured Flickers 018.jpg
15KB, 400x252px
>>82025771
Fractured Flickers was great. I grew up watching that show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwOprzuTe2c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCIL3_Spd4Q

Don't let the opening bit fool you it's two different episodes.
>>
>>82025884
Felicia Day has a double major in mathematics and music and a confirmed 143 IQ.
>>
>>82025933

Yet she choose to go into entertainment because she couldn't hack it in the academic world. Go figure
>>
>>82025771
Don't forget, Local Horror hosts, like Svenghoolie, Zacherly, Seymore, and God knows how many across the country at local stations used to interact with the movies they showed. So it's an old trick that's been around.
>>
>>82025933

And that means she's entertaining because?
>>
>>82025921
Wow striking similarities to both the first and second Woody Allen movies
>>
>>82025778

It's easier to purchase and identity than have your own.
>>
>>82025884

Felicia Day hit at the time that women still wanted nothing to do with "geek" culture.

She was the first wave of "look at these thirsty beta males - They'll take attention from ANY woman!"

We had scream queens etc before then, but they, and we, knew they were hot women slumming it who couldn't make it with normies, and they always remained separate and aloof.

Ugly women like Day got right down into the mix.

Her entire persona is;

>Not HIDEOUSLY ugly woman who will associate with Le Nerds
>>
>>82026015
Well, Fickers started in 1961, but didn't air until 1963, and WuTL came out in '66.There was probably some influence as Flickers was a pretty popular show at the time.
It was a little bit on the subversive side, but it was very subtle. (as was most of Bill Ward's works) Something a writer/comedian like Allen might well be aware of.
>>
>>82026083
She's a math major with a genius IQ. Why do you keep pretending she's not a legit geek regardless of whether guys are involved or not?
>>
>>82026133

To be fair I don't care if she's a legit geek or not, I care that she's been given a platform and is presented as being, funny, interesting, or attractive and she's none of these things.
>>
>>82025978
I'm showing Svenghoolie was much after Woody Allen so I didn't go through it but Zacherley is a little mindblowing so far. Although it's kinda hard to tell whats going on. He filmed stuff to splice with the movie? I presume right before or after the commercial break. The scene I just watched seemed that he was pretending to be the composer in an orchestra scene of the film.
>>
Why are mods deleting threads??????????????????????
>>
Oh holy fuck and apparently Zacherley did The Brute Man
>>
It's okay. I don't gove a shit about the mads. They were never great, though they had their charm. I'm fine with Patton Oswalt, and though I hate what Felicia Day represents(I follow the video game industry), they have almost no effect on my enjoyment of the show. Jonah is also a bit on the mediocre side. And while the mads got a pass, he has a lot more importance, so it hurts the show's quality. I think the main problem is just that he doesn't have a real definied comedic voice.this plays into another complaint: Tom Servo. His voice and jokes are hard to distinguish from Jonah and lacks any resemblance to his previous VA, which is damn shame. Crow is good, no big issues with him in particular. But the bigget problem is the riffs themselves. They're too often "modern". They go on too long, lessening the incisive humor, and often having a joke continue well past a change of scene from the one the joke originated from. And the riffs come way too wuickly. Nothing ever has time to land, and you never get to experience the shittiness of the movie. A lot of the older riffs were more subdued. Sometimes they would simply laugh at something that happened. It gave it a more natural, contagious feel to the comedy. Like you were in on the experience of the shitty movie. This feels more like a mixed bag of clearly pre-written jokes(I know the riffs are always prewritten, I just mean that the delivery really accentuates that in a bad way)

I'm being a bit harssh here. Ot's still enjoyable, but it's not even close to the best of the old episodes. Also, Gypsy's interruptions suck and Servo's flying is unfunny too
>>
>>82026303

These are all reasonable. I don't agree with the Jonah and Servo ones. Mostly because I don't really have trouble telling them apart and even if I did, it doesn't matter. Who delivers the riff has never really mattered.

The fast paced nature is INCREDIBLE when they're on a roll. But those moments are very few and far between and so, like you said, it sort of pulls you out of the experience. It sounds often like a group of guys wrote a few thousand jokes and are just reading them off one by one.

That said, it's by no means the worst season and is absolutely MST3K. Some episodes even ranking among the best.
>>
>>82026263
>Svenghoolie
Yeah. I was thinking of Goulardi. He'd been around forever.
>>
>>82026451
See, I think them being somewaht indistinguishable during some delivery is an issue, because it shows that the riffs are kind of homogenized. An old Servo joke was full of Servo personality. Maybe that's still there and Jonah lacks ot, maybe Servo has a less strong personality. I can't tell. But something is off. And Servo in general has lost that smug, intelligent air that he put off before. That alone may be what is making the rigfs/delivery feel samey between him and Jonah.

I haven't made it through the entire season. What episodes would you say are up there with the best?
>>
>>82026687
>But something is off.

Its because they don't have a distinct voice like Mike, Bill and Kevin had. You have no idea who is talking half the time and the other half you don't even notice they are riffing because they lack strong assertive voices.
>>
>>82024746
Yeah, people saying the show is the same obviously haven't actually watched the show because the new eps are shit.

They aren't even sitting there watching the movie, all the parts are recorded separately and it feels far less organic. Now it's a bunch of people shouting shit as quickly as possible for the entire fucking movie--can't have any silences at all lest the viewer tune out!

There was also more variety in the riffs in the old days. There were plenty of pop culture references but they were also all over the place with them. Now it's just a string of pop culture references--again, delivered at breakneck pace.

The host segments were never good, but now they're physically painful.
>>
>>82024481
It's actually pretty decent. Reptillicus was bad and Avalanche was such a shit movie that they had nothing to work with, but otherwise it's been a pretty strong showing.

I'm not a big fan of the mads, but they don't get too much screentime anyway so it's not a big deal. The only other complaints I have is Tom's voice (it's too similar to Jonah's), Gypsy having a regular voice/spot in the theater, and the fact that they're rapid fire riffing instead of waiting for the perfect timing and letting jokes sink in.

Honestly, I was expecting the worst. It could have been downright godawful, but they managed to make a fairly good facsimile of the Joel era episodes. I would've preferred if Jonah was a lughead like Mike though
>>
>>82025995
Or a nerd for that matter
>>
>>82027632
>It's actually pretty decent.
SJW loser detected
>>
>>82027982
Nah, the exact opposite in fact. I was a huge fan of the original.
>>
>>82028117
why do you defend twitter sjws then?
>>
I hate Wheaton too much to watch anything he is apart of.
>>
>>82025666
>unique
>enjoys the same exact shit every other normalfag does
>John Green novels
>being proud of being a lazy slob who watches Netflix waste matter all day

Also, terrible fashion sense. That galaxy themed clothing annoys the shit out of me. I'm not expecting these fuckbolts to be self aware, but still girl just wear a normal dress please.
>>
Literally every episode shits on Trump in multiple ways. Compare that to the old one and I don't remember ever hearing a political joke.
>>
>>82024481

Yeah, it is really lacking strength of personality. The hosts all mummble their lines, Day looks like a skeleton they wrapped in that suit, and the humor is always pretty sanitized.
>>
It's no best of the worst...
>>
>>82024481
Counter point: your opinion is shit.
>>
>>82024481
Most of Netflix production these years is terrible.
WTF happened to them
>>
>>82027632
>Avalanche was such a shit movie that they had nothing to work with

I found Avalanche to be one of the strongest episode s, tbqh
>>
>>82029174
Because you were too underageb@n to understand the jokes.
>>
>>82029174
>Footage of a nuclear bomb
>"(Insert dumb presidential candidate here), first day as president."

They did that one all the time, and I'm pretty sure they dusted it off again during the Rifftrax MST3K reunion show.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.