[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PBS kino thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: pbs.png (247KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pbs.png
247KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Shelby-Foote.jpg (145KB, 607x803px) Image search: [Google]
Shelby-Foote.jpg
145KB, 607x803px
>>
can't wait until trumpy shuts these fuckers down
>>
>>82001566
>This Yankee drivel brought to you by George Templeton Strong
>>
File: Finding your Roots.jpg (505KB, 1774x922px) Image search: [Google]
Finding your Roots.jpg
505KB, 1774x922px
>it's a ''Henry is really excited about what he and his team have discovered but his guests are clearly only pretending to be interested'' episode

It's so awful. I would be ecstatic at finding out so much shit about my ancestors, but most of the people that come on the show have nothing to say but monotone wows and cools
>>
>>82001798
race isn't real
>>
>>82001525
fuck off lib shit
>>
These guys used to have a show on PBS. I can't frind any clips of it, though. So here's one from TLC.

https://youtu.be/7F9PfxorDSw
>>
>>82001525
>friday
>welcome to analyzing politics with mark shields and david brooks

I fucking love it

PBS news has their stuff on youtube, it's pretty comfy, pretty non-biased
>>
>/pol/ rails against so-called degeneracy and desctruction of culture
>hates PBS, one of the last major bastions for fine arts and culture programming

really makes me think
>>
I quite enjoyed the 6-hour special on WWI that The American Experience showed a couple of weeks ago.
>>
There are some episodes of Monitor on the iPlayer now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monitor_(UK_TV_series)

Excellent stuff throughout really.

At one point they figured out how to seize documentary funds for early Ken Russell Kino production resulting in a celebrated set of biopics about composers.

My favourite is the one about Frederick Delius (which was ripped off wholesale for Cloud Atlas).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2e0CrIfY6c

The Elgar one is also well regarded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM2YGJCjAEA
>>
>>82001798
What's a good finding your roots episode?
>>
File: market-warriors_spot.jpg (131KB, 617x347px) Image search: [Google]
market-warriors_spot.jpg
131KB, 617x347px
Anyone else remember this show?

Ran for like, ten episodes. It fucking ruled.
>>
Even just their graphic and musical cues are comfy
>>
>>82002189
>PBS
>last major bastions for fine arts and culture programming

fuck off shill it's just liberal propaganda
>>
>>82002491
Wanda Sykes

Children born to slaves were only slaves if their mother was a slave, if their mothers were free women then so were the children regardless of the father's status.
In the 1600s, a white woman slept with a black guy and as a result, Wanda's family were free since long before the American Revolution
>>
>>82002549
>shill
Are you really so insane that you think PBS can afford to pay shills?
>>
>Polls of the general population have found that people believe that more than five per cent of the federal budget goes to PBS and NPR (it’s 0.01 per cent).
>>
>>82002588
of course, they're part of the Soros machine after all
>>
they should just play NOVA 24/7
>>
>>82002649
People think only rich liberals watch PBS.

Although only rich liberals listen to NPR I'll admit.
>>
>>82002189
>arts and culture
>government funded
Artists should be starving until they make it
>>
>>82002981
this. If the free market rejects it, it doesn't deserve to exist.
>>
>>82002649
>Americans are misinformed
who would have thought
>>
>>82002933
I listen to NPR and am middle class.
>>
File: roosevelts.jpg (7KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
roosevelts.jpg
7KB, 299x168px
Fantastic series.
>>
>>82002649
I remember 10-15 years ago Fox ran an active anti-PBS campaign that my mother took to heart. Part of it was lampooning Mr. Rogers for raising kids self esteem and turning them into brats, and saying Sesame Street was what /pol/ would call anti-white for being set in the city and having multi-racial hosts.

Like most hard-right policy, it was about being anti-left more than anything else
>>
>>82001525
That whaling doc with Willem Dafoe narrating.
>>
File: 1477146149349.jpg (2MB, 3620x2721px) Image search: [Google]
1477146149349.jpg
2MB, 3620x2721px
>>82005525
this desu senpai, also the burns doc series about the american west. so comfy
>>
>>82002933
I'm a middle class conservative and I listen to npr. There's no yelling or infographics. I like that. The news is great but the shows can be terrible. TAL is a great example of liberal sensibilities ruining a great premise.
>>
>>82005966
Burns actually didn't do The West, but it's still among the best of the long-form PBS docs
>>
>>82001525
They've shown Max Raabe and some of the Pather Panchali films on PBS before.
>>
>>82002981
>>82003297
Good luck with a TV full of Rick and Morty and TBBT then.
>>
Why hasn't anyone done a painting show since Bill Alexander and Bob Ross died?
>>
>>82008235
Hell, look at A&E. Went from broadcasting opera and theatre content to fucking Storage Wars and Duck Dynasty.
>>
File: ancient-aliens-1[1].png (105KB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
ancient-aliens-1[1].png
105KB, 360x202px
>>82009302
God help us all
>>
>>82009471
Fucking shame.

And there's no real avenues for that kind of content that have sprung up in the meantime.
>>
>>82009870
The only channel IMO that has improved over time is TCM. Instead of dropping programming they manage to find more and more obscure stuff.
>tfw remember when AMC was basically the same way
>>
>>82009946
Yeah, TCM got started so it could compete with AMC, but it's definitely held more steadfast to its cause of playing true classic film and without commercials.
>>
File: vargvikernes1.jpg (110KB, 762x464px) Image search: [Google]
vargvikernes1.jpg
110KB, 762x464px
Thread sponsored by PBS™
>>
i only watched pbs because they showed great british shows like foyle's war, page eight, and endeavour. then they started editing them and cutting scenes so i only watch it on saturdays's for cooking and the occasional rick steves reruns.
>>
>>82010084
nothing wrong with pbs ya shit
>>
File: 51KDzTFPk7L.jpg (43KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
51KDzTFPk7L.jpg
43KB, 350x500px
Independent Lens shows some good stuff sometimes. I found out about this top kino from PBS.
>>
Anything Ken Burns makes is great, but especially The Civil War and the baseball and jazz series he did.
>>
>>82011350
Jazz was hugely inaccurate tbqh. Focused WAY too much on the swing/big band era and Armstrong/Ellington.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.