[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GotG #2 discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

Aussie time-traveller here. Just came out of the latest Disney™/Marvel™ product "Goyims of the Galaxy 2: let’s do it again!”

Ask me anything about the flick in the thread.

I will post my review below.
>>
>My verdict on the flick was that it was solid popcorn fare, and was a slight notch above in quality in contrast to the past four bland offerings from Marvel, which really isn't saying much honestly. Firstly, the antagonist in the flick was (on the surface) a far more compelling choice than having the heroes face a stock-standard muscleman, unfortunately his motivations fall into the same pitfall of Apocalypse in his eponymous X-men flick. The “Imma destroy the universe because xd” gist which is the basis of the villain’s motivations is so fucking lazy it infuriates me. Gunn should’ve made it a more intimate threat amongst Starlord and the Guardians and use it to explore their relationship/bonds with each other, rather than inflate it into a contrived superhero clusterfuck. But then again, it’s Disney capeshit, so shame on me for expecting something that isn’t run of the mill.

>The dynamic between Yondu and Rocket was great, and their on-screen antics was certainly the highlight for me. In fact most of the key-players are fairly well rounded and play off each other quite well. As mentioned in the above paragraph, the villain problems unanimous throughout the MCU is still present, with the subplot focusing on Aiisha and her pawns quickly devolving into being thrown into the mix as a means of adversity to the heroes when Gunn writes himself into a dead-end. Many of the subplots and arcs feel unfinished in fact, which are definitely exemplified in the end-credit sequences. I at-least somewhat appreciate that Gunn had the gall to kill off a key-player in the denouement, which is something that the Russo cucks refuse to do due to not wanting to upset the fanboys. But then again, then Guardians are D-list characters than function in their own contained storyline, so I guess Marvel’s head honchos would see it as a safe bet that doesn’t upset the balances too much.
>>
>The humor is more of the same. If you shit your pants during the first, then you’ll probably do the same here. Despite this you can feel that the flick certainly tries harder to be funnier due in part the first clicked with general audiences, and while the film does have quite a lot of good visual gags, you do feel Gunn pushing it at times into ‘le-reddit xd’ tier.

>In regards to the visuals, the CGI is very impressive with a faithfully rendered young incarnation of Kurt Russell that manages to avoid the uncanny valley. Cinematography-wise vol. 2 is breathtaking at times in regards to both composition and spectacle (until we near the climax at-least), proving to be a stark contrast to the disgusting wet cement that was Civil War.

That’s about it for my faggy review. I you've seen it tell me what you though of it.
>>
File: Yondu_GotG_close.jpg (108KB, 632x632px) Image search: [Google]
Yondu_GotG_close.jpg
108KB, 632x632px
>>81993172
what did you think of yondudeath?

i felt feels desu

>>81993198
i wish it fleshed out starlords father a bit more and the middle definitely dragged

>>81993226
pretty much what i got from it too, wish i saw it in imax, my small local screen was fine in 2d but i feel like this movie needs to be seen on a BIG screen since its made for imax and shot on a red camera looks fucking amazing.

As for plotlines not wrapping up well they do, just rather lazily but thats fine as a placeholder for the 3rd movie its fine.
>>
>>81993198
>which is something that the Russo cucks refuse to do due to not wanting to upset the fanboys.

I don't get this complaint. Did people really want War Machine to die that badly?
>>
Did youndu die?
>>
>>81993365
yes
>>
>>81993271
I thought the death was handled well. Definitely surprised that such a neurotic film ended on such a somber note.

The flick seems to be getting a lot of flack for the lack of 'plot', but I think it's reactionary due to the fact that we've been conditioned to expecting these plots to revolve around a maguffin rather than a character piece, which I didn't mind to be honest.

And yes, certainly needed to be seen in IMAX.
>>
>>81993172
You've been jewed!
>>
What are the biggest spoilers that I can spam all week to ruin the movie for cancer that should be on /co/?
>>
>>81993444
>And yes, certainly needed to be seen in IMAX.
trips confirm

the only way to see this is IMAX 3D
>>
>>81993172
No one cares that you got the next formulaic Marvel cash in early. The studios shit it out to you before us because they know American culture is all you have to look forward to in your shitty un-American lives.

>guys I le saw baby groot first so can we le discuss it

just fuck your shit up.
>>
>>81993528
Who hurt you?
>>
>>81993172
Do you like it in the ass? Because paying to see Marvel movies is what faggots do
>>
>>81993598
everyone who likes Marvel more than DC

so literally everyone
>>
>>81993349
Well War Machine is was a weakly constructed character who added very little to the narrative, and I don't think a lot of people would've illicited any emotional reaction if he had died in battle anyway. However if Bucky, Hawkeye, Falcon, or any other prominent supporting character had died for their stances then it would've heightened the stakes by tenfold. The confliction in Civil War had no sense of gravity because of the Russo's stance against killing characters.
>>
>>81993528
unironically this
>>
>>81993474
FUCK!
>>81993528
Mate capeshit is the only thing that fills the void within my empty soul.
>>81993608
Well I saw it for free so not really much of a loss desu
>>
>>81993478
Yondu dies. Kurt Russell (Ego the living planet) Is the antagonist.

They're the most prominent.
>>
Watched it on my Zune last week, it was alright
>>
>>81993861
Nice one
>>
SPOILER RUNDOWN BOYS

In 1980, Kurt Russell as Ego is dating Peter's Mom and shows her a special alien flower he's planted. 34 years later, in 2014 I guess, the Guardians are on a job for The Sovereign, the gold-skinned people from the trailer, defending their valuable batteries from an interdimensional beast. They slay it, in return for Nebula, who was imprisoned there. The Guardians plan to collect the bounty on her from Xandar. However, the Sovereign soon discover Rocket stole some of the batteries, leading them to pursue the Guardians with their drone army, almost cutting off their escape route before Ego intervenes, destroying their fleet.

The Guardians jump to a safe planet, but the final barrage and crash have totalled the ship. Ego lands and introduces himself as Peter's father, and invites Peter back to his planet to learn about his heritage. Peter, Gamora and Drax go with Ego, while Rocket and Groot stay behind to repair the ship and guard Nebula.

Meanwhile, Yondu has been exiled from most of the Ravager groups by its leader, Starhawk (Sly Stallone), due to his history kidnapping children for Ego. The Sovereign hire Yondu to capture the Guardians, but when he finds their ship and the Ravagers corner Rocket, he refuses to betray them and instead asks for the batteries to sell. His crew mutinies, and Nebula escapes, incapacitating Yondu and Rocket.

On Ego's ship, the group learn about Mantis, who's empathic and was raised by Ego because her abilities allow her to implant feelings, such as allowing him to sleep. When they arrive at Ego's Planet, it's like a fucking album cover, full of beauty, with a palace that houses statues of Ego's history. Ego explains he's a Celestial, a consciousness that was alone in the universe, but over eons learned to form matter and the planet around him. Eventually he formed a human avatar to seek out other life in the universe, eventually reaching Earth and banging Mrs. Quill.
>>
I don't watch capeshit but why is that faggot tree a baby now?
>>
>>81994296
He got blown the fuck out in the last one (literally)
>>
>>81994358
He was scattered into a heap of twigs, in which the Racoon took one of his remains and planted it in a pot, subsequently starting his life over again, from infancy onwards.
>>
>>81994266
Ego explains he wants to make up for lost time and help Peter learn how to control the 'light', or power, that makes up his core. Peter is able to form basic constructs of light/matter, and plays catch with his dad for the first time. However, Drax and Mantis grow closer, and she almost lets slip that something is very wrong.

With the Ravagers, the mutineers, led by Taserface, have killed everyone loyal to Yondu, while keeping Groot, Yondu and Rocket captive. Nebula leaves, taking a ship as payment to pursue Gamora and kill her (and later Thanos), while Yondu and Rocket bond and are able to use Groot to retrieve a prototype fin for Yondu that allows him to use his flying arrow to kill everyone (except his number one) and separate the ship. They fly to Ego, knowing Peter is in trouble.

Nebula reaches Ego's Planet first, and finds Gamora, engaging her in a deadly duel from her ship, which crashes into Ego's caverns. Gamora saves Nebula's life, while Nebula finds herself unable to kill Gamora, the two begin to reconcile. They discover a cavern full of bones in Ego's catacombs - from Ego's children.

Peter, who has begun to listen more and more to Ego and reject his friends, is 'shown eternity' by his father and his grand plan. Ego has planted seeds from his planet across the cosmos, but he needs more power to be able to transform those worlds into the same matter as him - effectively transforming all life into him. Ego banged thousands of women across thousands of worlds, and he's gone through this whole deadbeat dad thousands of times. All of his offspring so far were unable to cope with the power and died, but Peter is the first who can handle the Celestial power. Peter is reticent, remembering his friends and family, but Ego really fucks up when he mentions he put the tumor in Mrs. Quill's brain. Peter attacks Ego, so Ego decides to just use him as a battery and forcibly extract his power.
>>
File: --.jpg (30KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
--.jpg
30KB, 505x431px
>>81993172

Just saw it in the movies.

Honestly I was expecting garbage, but it was actually pretty good. I think what's is that it doesn't take itself too seriously. It was formulaic, but wasn't too bad. Also there are a shit load of meme bits in it, and so many meme shit scenes with baby groot. Drax is funny though. Overall, pretty good. How the fuck does Marvel keep on doing it? Poor DC man.
>>
>>81994552
As Peter's power is assimilated into Ego, the seeds planted on each world bloat into a literal The Blob reference, consuming all in their path. At this point, Rocket and Yondu arrive and rescue Peter from Ego's grasp - manifested as light tentacles from the planet's crust. Everyone - Peter, Nebula, Gamora, Rocket, Drax, Groot, Yondu, Mantis - gather together to dive deep into Ego's core, in order to destroy the 'light', or consciousness within. However, once they reach it, the Sovereign show up as well to destroy the Guardians.

Mantis is able to make Ego sleep while the Guardians deal with the Sovereign, but their destruction re-awakens him. While Drax carries Mantis (knocked unconscious by debris) to safety, Peter and Rocket distract Ego, while Groot carries a bomb to his core (a giant light-brain). Nebula and Gamora work together in order to help each other escape.

Eventually, Ego unleashes his abilities to trap each of the Guardians with his light tentacles. With some encouragement from Yondu, Peter fights back and is able to use the 'light' to form his own constructs, such as propelling him to fly into Ego's human avatar, or creating a giant stone Pac Man (THIS IS MEMES). Peter is able to distract Ego just long enough for Groot to plant the bomb and for everyone to escape, except Yondu, who stays behind to rescue Peter. Ego's core explodes, and Yondu uses a jetpack to carry Peter out of the collapsing planet's atmosphere - he has only one spacesuit, which he uses to protect Peter when they reach vacuum, as Yondu freezes to death.
>>
>>81994894

A funeral is held for Yondu, which is attended by all the Ravagers he thought had abandoned him when he was exiled. Nebula leaves to pursue her own vendetta against Thanos, but Mantis stays. In the credits, Starhawk forms a team of ravagers, Yondu's number one tries using Yondu's fin and arrow and fucks up, Groot grows into a moody teenager and won't leave his room, and the Sovereign hatch Adam Warlock to hunt the Guardians.

In the last post-credits scene (and also shown while Yondu & Rocket are jumping to Ego), Stan Lee in a spacesuit is with Uatu the Watcher, as well as other Watchers, giving a report on Earth, and his last visit as a Fedex postman. The Watchers leave as they are uninterested, even though Stan Lee has many more stories to tell.
>>
>>81993444
I liked the character driven storyline it was a nice change
>>
>>81994870
Did you see the first one? It's the best capeshit to come from Marvel. At least the Guardians movies embrace the cheese and glee inherent in the superhero genre and have fun with it. Despite this, they do follow tried and true narrative conventions which is a shame. Wish they'd be a little more subversive in that regard.

And yeah, Drax's dry wit is actually great. Who would've thought Dave Batista, of all people, could pull it off with such great effect?
>>
>>81995097
Same. Ego's motives should've complimented the story direction though rather than wanting universal domination. It diminished the emotional potency from being more effective.
>>
>>81995097

This. I liked how they gave the Gamora/Nebula and Rocket/Yondu side stories just as much time as the StarLord/Dad's story. I was expecting to be bored that it was going to focus on Peter the whole time, but was pleasantly surprised. I actually ended up liking Yondu and Gamora too (didn't care for them in the first movie).
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.