[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2001: A Space Odyssey

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: wtf.jpg (108KB, 1457x812px) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
108KB, 1457x812px
Someone explain this pile of trash to me.
>>
>>81939969

>pile of trash

Why? It would just be lost on a child like you. Just go watch another Fast and Furious.
>>
>>81939969
Just forget it. You could watch it a bajillion times and you'll still be retarded.
>>
File: deep.jpg (68KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
deep.jpg
68KB, 400x366px
>>81940371
It was pretentious as fuck

I get it, dave learns about the universe through the monolith which is some alien thing to advance a species then he is sent back to earth as an improved species (next step in evolution)...blah blah blah. It didn't need to go on for half an hour of just random filtered mountains. It reeks of pic related.

What happened to the first crew that got a high pitched frequency delivered to their suit?
>>
>>81939969
its just the usual plot the ayyliums give the keys of the kingdom to the humies still dont know what to do with them
the sphere/solaris/roadside picnic do this much better
>>
>>81940674
>its just the usual plot the ayyliums
yeah thats what i got from it and thats fine considering it was made in 1968
>>
>>81940594
it's not really pretentious in the least bit.
>>
File: IMG_8093.jpg (355KB, 1152x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8093.jpg
355KB, 1152x1536px
>>81939969
What's would have been a good quip for this scene ?
>>
>>81940674
>>81940750
>usual ayyliums plot
>there are no life forms but mammals in the movie

You guys are retarded.
>>
>>81940786
>the last 30 minutes
>not pretentious
cmon now
>>
File: rogueone.jpg (107KB, 560x800px) Image search: [Google]
rogueone.jpg
107KB, 560x800px
>>81940594

I think pic related might be more your speed. It's got lots of 'splosions and you don't have to think at all.
>>
>>81940858
I guess the bedroom scene approaches pretentiousness, but that's the only thing that comes close. I still don't know what the bedroom meant.
>>
>>81940874
ok no so argument

>>81940843
enlighten us
>>
>>81939969
This movie single handedly advanced hollywood by 40 years which brought it to the modern age and ushered in the hollywood renaissance of the 70s. Kill yourself
>>
>>81940914
what i got from it was that it's sort of an observation post of the human species by ayyliums
>>
>>81939969
Space odyssey is more remembered for pushing the envelope in terms of how things were filmed and cinematography than it being some kind of profound and amazing film. That being said it is still a great film that is made better by a simple formula, no convoluted explanations as to why or how things are, the ambiance, and the way it was filmed.

In short, you have objectively wrong opinions.
>>
>>81940858
I'm jumping in here, but I honestly don't believe this film is the least bit pretentious.
>>
>>81940922

What's there to argue? Your just going to call it "pretentious artist shit".
>>
>>81941003
>Space odyssey is more remembered for pushing the envelope in terms of how things were filmed and cinematography than it being some kind of profound and amazing film
i don't deny this. Maybe i should of mentioned this in my OP.
>>
File: imgres.jpg (6KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
imgres.jpg
6KB, 299x168px
its just like one of those lynch movies. nobody can praise it without using buzzwords.

its a decent looking movie with a kickass soundtrack about ayy lmaos advancing humanity, but it is pretentious as fuck.

>the validity of this post will not be questioned.
>>
File: uuH2o.jpg (21KB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
uuH2o.jpg
21KB, 300x252px
>>81941083
>>81940594

>pretentious
>>
>>81941153
explain it to me senpai
>>
>>81941083
>Kubrick film (like) Lynch film
No.

You alt-right morons need to commit that word to memory -- Pretentious: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed
>>
>>81941284
>Pretentious: attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed

thats exactly what it does you hilariously dumb piece of shit subhuman asslicking faggot.
>>
>>81941213
>>81941349

2001 is easily one of the most iconic and influential movies of all time. It's literally on the top of every list of movies you absolutely must see if you want to know anything about film. You have to look very very hard to find another movie that's had more impact on film making or popular culture.
>>
>>81941055
Look at it like this, avatar was basically pocahontas in space, but in terms of technical and technological achievements it was a milestone. You don't have to like avatar or space odyssey to appreciate it as a film or it's achievements.

I think that's an aspect you're missing out on here, because there really isn't much depth to the film and that's how it was intended to be. You're supposed to feel these guys are trapped in space with a malevolent AI while trying to contact aliens by taking in the atmosphere and craftsmanship of the set. There are very few films that make better use of a set and minimal plot elements to make an interesting film.
>>
>>81941349
Please, name a film that does it better
>>
>>81941476
>2001 is easily one of the most iconic and influential movies of all time. It's literally on the top of every list of movies you absolutely must see if you want to know anything about film

nobody denies is technical advancements. it looks terrific and was groundbreaking in its special effects. its just disgustingly overrated in EVERY other regards beside its looks.
>>
>>81940371
fpbp
>>
>>81941606

>it's terrific, it's groundbreaking, it's wildly influential, it's iconic

and yet you still insist that it's pretentious shit. I don't know what else to tell you man.
>>
>>81941773
nice reading comprehension you fucking disgusting waste of space.
>>
>>81940594
If you think that was a pretentious art flick, then you've never seen a real pretentious art flick before. You have no idea how deep that rabbit hole goes.
>>
>>81941838
so it cant be pretentious because there are more pretentious things?
>>
> Pretentious
>was a hugely popular film and remains so today

yeah. I bet Wizard of Oz is Pretentious too
>>
>>81941832

Now who is the one without an argument? You can insult me all you like but you are the one calling one of the greatest movies of all time, written by one of the greatest science fiction authors of all time, and made by one of the greatest filmmakers of all time, pretentious shit.
>>
>>81941980
you're confusing popularity with quality.

>>81942137
if you could read what I actually wrote you would write shit like

>it's terrific, it's groundbreaking, it's wildly influential, it's iconic

because that is not what i wrote. can't you understand?
>>
>>81942479

>The Wizard of Oz is low quality.
>2001 is pretentious shit.

You are truly hopeless. I bet you are the kind of guy who can't watch watch foreign films because "i hate reading subtitles".
>>
File: czZlH3xg1Ul2w.gif (497KB, 480x321px) Image search: [Google]
czZlH3xg1Ul2w.gif
497KB, 480x321px
>>81941878
>He's never had to sit through a student film screening.

What's going on here is like when a non-scientific person dismisses a scientific theory because "it's only a theory".

To most people, "pretentious art flick" means "The director decided to convey an idea purely visually instead of using a narrator or dialogue to spell it out to me. Because I'm to lazy to figure this out for myself, I'm going call the director 'pretentious' and ad hom anyone who tries to disagree with me."

When we call something a "pretentious art flick" we mean "A film where the director breaks as many of the well established rules of film making (or what he thinks is 'breaking the rules') simply for the sake of breaking them instead of trying to convey some deeper message. The film equivalent of Stuart from Mad TV. Either that or they try to pull off some hackneyed cliché as though they were the first to do it."
>>
>>81943289
pl. provide examples of hilariously pretentious art (short) film
>>
>>81939969
Revolutionary for its time, the affects are great.
Kinda boring now
The book is better but the sequel books get silly
>>
The Monolith has the exact proportions of a cinema screen, turned on its side. You are like a monkey. This film is making you evolve. The discomfort you feel while watching 2001 is nothing more than the fear the apemen felt as the Monolith worked its charm.
>>
it was really a landmark for sci-fi/AI movies in general. Story is kind of anticlimactic if you take it for face value but there's something eerie about it that kind of makes you think. I personally loved the ending scene with the colorful landscapes.
>>
>>81939969
watch the soderbergh edit
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.