[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what was his fucking problem??

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: file.png (2MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1280x1024px
what was his fucking problem??
>>
No GF
>>
File: 854-40.gif (44KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
854-40.gif
44KB, 320x240px
>>81924706
>HAL was told to lie - by people who find it easy to lie. HAL doesn't know how.
>>
He was autistic
>>
File: 2010-war.jpg (68KB, 700x918px) Image search: [Google]
2010-war.jpg
68KB, 700x918px
>>81926942
This is now a 2010 appreciation thread
>>
>>81924706

I just re-read the novel, and have immediately started reading the sequel novel for the first time.

The short version is that David Bowman and Frank Poole were being kept in the dark about the real purpose of the mission (find out what the hell is going on out where the Tycho signal pointed to, and see if there are aliums). The US gubmint wants to keep an extremely tight, above-top-secret level of secrecy about the aliums that the monolith implies, so not even Bowman and Pool are let in on the secret just yet. Meanwhile, HAL is fully aware of the mission objective, and furthermore is not to share this information with Bowman or Poole. This runs contrary to HAL's basic purpose and design, so (he), like any human, experiences cognitive dissonance, being bound by contrary logics, and snaps.

A major inconsistency between the origianl film and the 1984 sequel film is that Heywood Floyd claims in scene related >>81926942 to have been totally unaware of the root cause for HAL's malfunction (as it is explained in this movie at least, we'll see how the book tells it). But in the original film, a pre-recorded briefing automatically plays (emergency contingency?) at the moment of HAL's total de-activation, where Floyd clearly states that the mission objective had been known only to HAL (in the book, the hibernating survey team are also in on the joke, but they are killed a bit more gruesomely in the book, so this difference is moot).
>>
>>81927174
>>81926942

While we are on the topic, the Leonov has 2-3 bit part crew members that I want to learn more about. Let's also discuss the Leonov crew (in the movie version, of course) generally:

2010 makes things slightly confusing in that you almost /never/ hear any of the Soviet's names, yet they have full names in the credits which closely (but not exactly) correspond to an early list in the novel. Even the lead captain lady (Helen Mirren) identifies herself (IIRC) just once or twice, as "Kirbuk" on the intercom. I don't recall a single scene where anyone addresses her as "Tanya".

Still, you can piece together MOST of who's who, but the 2-3 bit parts above need some expansion (these guys have no English speaking lines IIRC).
>>
>>81927347
Alex is best russian
>>
>>81927347
>these guys have no English speaking lines IIRC
Because at least one of them didn't actually speak English
>>
File: 2010_1.jpg (68KB, 750x317px) Image search: [Google]
2010_1.jpg
68KB, 750x317px
>>81927174

>Clarke as the clean-shaven, buttoned-down, Eisenhower-esque American President

>kubrick as the dirty-bearded crypto-jew Soviet premier

Excellent. In addition to this cute juxtaposition, Clarke makes an early cameo, feeding the birdies (left).
>>
>>81927632
Fug I forgot that
>>
So basically the Leonov has a crew of 11: the three Americans, and eight Soviets. Most of us already know Heywood Floyd (Scheider), Curnow (John Lithgow) and Dr. Chandra (Bob Balaban) well, so I'll skip them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibf-6O3uU6Q

The five easily identified (putting a credit-name to a character) Soviets are:

Tanya Kirbuk (Helen Mirren), captain in scene related.

Maxim (Max) Brailovsky (Ilya Baskin, noted "dude Russian guy" character actor), develops friendship with Curnow and gets blown away (?) by big monolith during EVA

Vladimir Rudenko, older balding medical doctor, revives Floyd & other Americans, later

Vasali Orlov, taciturn, shorter dark hair. Is point-man on actual science of mission objectives. Is present in scene where Curnow explains HAL fucking up.

Irina Yakunina, q.t. who has this one relevant scene with Floyd. Has technically-English speaking role "no English... da, Okay.", which is important in the movie business, however small.

This leaves basically Kirbuk's three "bridge monkeys": OLDER bearded-guy who is like her Number One/Riker, YOUNGER bearded guy, and MIDDLE-AGE NO-BEARD GUY, who has just one English exchange shortly after they lose the probe. They're all on the bridge in this scene. These three characters are:

Yuri Svetlanov, Mikolai Ternovsky, Alexander Kovalev

But which is which? Also it would be nice to know the little exchange between older-bearded guy and Kirbuk.
>>
A GOOD shot of the Soviet contingent, l-r:

?, ?, (Irina) Yakunina, Orlov, ?, (Max) Brailovsky, Kirbuk, and Rudenko.

The three mystery men seem to be respectively: a former Olympic swimmer, a guy who later had a bit part in A Beautiful Mind, and a Czech stage actor. I have now an idea of who's who but I want more current pictures before I call it 100%.
>>
File: GOOD shot.jpg (103KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
GOOD shot.jpg
103KB, 1024x679px
>>81929202

related.
>>
>>81924706
he was sexually frustrated
>>
>>81929270

And now that I actually dig a bit, my suspicions are confirmed. FAR-LEFT younger bearded guy is (character) MIKOLAI TERNOVSKY, played by Victor Steinbach, who apparently has a role in A Beautiful Mind.

SECOND FROM LEFT non-bearded guy who has a few lines about the probe is ALEXANDER KOVALEV, played by Czech stage-and-screen actor Jan Triska.

FOURTH FROM RIGHT, behind Max, is YURI SVETLANOV, played by the "long-faced" Olympic swimmer and minor actor Vladimir Skomarovsky.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.