[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/trek/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 25

File: ssi_020a.jpg (609KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ssi_020a.jpg
609KB, 1920x1080px
What is the best "crew must deal with contagious disease before its too late" episode?

Best "something went horribly wrong with the holodeck" episode?

Best courtroom drama episode?
>>
>>81898379
>"crew must deal with contagious disease before its too late"
>"something went horribly wrong with the holodeck"
>courtroom drama

You just described every episode.
>>
>>81898379
>Best courtroom drama episode?
The Measure of a Man
>Best "something went horribly wrong with the holodeck" episode?
Our Man Bashir
>What is the best "crew must deal with contagious disease before its too late" episode?
It doesn't exist. Rick Berman wouldn't let them make it. The disease was going to mess up their brains and make them communicate through singing.
>>
Best shuttle crash landed because of ionization or some shit episode?
Best mysterious nebula is actually an entity episode?
Best Janeway fucks up an opportunity to get home immediately episode?
>>
VOY and ENT are out of my headcanon. There's literally no reason for me to acknowledge their existence.
>>
>>81898592
Since you've named the best courtroom episode I'll choose the runner up
>The Drumhead

Our Man Bashir is fun but it doesn't beat
>Ship in a Bottle
or
>It's Only a Paper Moon

Can't think of a great contagious disease affects the crew episode. The Game? Babel? I'll just pick the most famous one
>The Naked Time
>>
>>81898845
Best Janeway fucks up an opportunity to get home immediately episode?
>Caretaker
>>
>>81898379
>What is the best "crew must deal with contagious disease before its too late" episode?
Observer Effect by far.

Any Moriarty show.

>Best courtroom drama episode
Measure of a Man

>>81899673
>he hates ENT.
peak Trek pleb. I bet you don't like The Motion Picture either.
>>
>>81899810
Actually I think TMP is the best of all the odd movies.

ENT sucks shitballs though.
>>
>>81899810
Observer Effect was shitting all over the Organians.

The ENT writers should have used a different species.
>>
File: coop.png (121KB, 271x278px) Image search: [Google]
coop.png
121KB, 271x278px
>>81899891

>TMP
>The scene where the Enterprise leaves space dock for the first time

Fucking magic. TMP should be a pleb-filter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmQ5Q956_XU
>>
>>81899706
Paper Moon isn't a holodeck malfunction episode, unless you count the fact thay Vic was running longer than intended like the Doctor.
>>
>>81900179
Well, OP did say "something went horribly wrong with the holodeck" and Nog was going horribly wrong with Nog in there . . .
>>
>>81898379
Best "something went horribly wrong with the holodeck" episode?
Objectively Bride of Chaotica
>>
>>81899975
that sequence was so good they reused it for the second movie.
>>
>>81900654
*something was going horribly wrong . . .
>>
>>81899975
TMP is most definitely a pleb filter.
>>
>>81899975
ehy that's the TNG intro too
what a bunch of cheapstakes
>>
>>81900827
Here's what the TNG theme was supposed to be, but at some point they abandoned this and went with the TMP theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzpeulsbv8o
>>
>>81900179
My mistake. Still a great episode on the holodeck.
>>81900654
Something wasn't horribly wrong with the holodeck but with the person using it
>The fault wasn't in our holodeck but in ourselves ~ Reginald Barclay
>>
Why are holodecks not banned, they always get people killed it seems

at least DS9 only had one of those episodes
>>
>>81900926

yikes, I don't know how I feel about that.

Glad they stuck with TMP theme instead.
>>
>>81899891
>Slow and overly cerebral
>Overly ambitious with it's concepts and special effects
>Alien entity possessing a random crewman
>A romance between the alien entity and another random member of the crew
>Third act twist about the origin of the life form

TMP is a perfect adaption of a mediocre episode of the original show. That doesn't make it good though.
>>
>>81901065

Most of the time obrian and dr bashir were using them to recreate famous battles, sounds pretty dangerous to me.
>>
>>81900926
WTF, it's like something you'd expect from a parody.
>>
>>81901100
No, because safety protocols.

Do you even follow any of our memes at all?
>>
>>81901065
TNG holodecks were new technology so having and using them counted also as kinda testing them

Voyager was stuck in space with no maintenance so it made sense too for malfunctions and most of them were caused by external events anyway
>>
File: Pegasus_Stargate.jpg (145KB, 764x964px) Image search: [Google]
Pegasus_Stargate.jpg
145KB, 764x964px
>>81901071
Well, it's not as bad as the original Stargate SG1 theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owgOxV1V6Cc
>>
File: needs a "Watch it" edit.jpg (36KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
needs a "Watch it" edit.jpg
36KB, 500x368px
>>81901085
>TMP is a perfect adaption of a mediocre episode of the original show.
In fact, it's a perfect adaptation of the episode The Changeling from the original show.
>>
>>81901157

top fucking kek

is that from the commentary? I need to check that out now.
>>
>>81901149
>stuck in space with no maintenance
This sounds like an interesting premise. Such a shame that they never made a Trek series about this idea.
>>
>>81901149
'The Big Goodbye' was Picards first time using a holodeck
>>
>>81901203
>It's a Kirk talks an artificial intelligence into suicide episode

Why do people think he's just some dumb playboy again?
>>
>>81898379
they all suck
>>
>>81901302
because he only talked dumb AI into suicide
>>
>>81901302

Only people who never watched Star Trek think so.
>>
I'm doing a TNG re-watch, did DS9 last week. I'm on season three.

A science station had its holo projector fail so it briefly became visible. And a primitive stone-age vulcan and his vulcan-loli daughter saw the station and climbed up there and he fell off a cliff and was going to die, Crusher beams him to sickbay to save his life, dialog is as follows;

>Crusher: "Captain, before you start quoting the prime directive, he'd already seen us, the damage was done. It was either beam him up here or let him die."
>Picard: "Then why didn't you let him die?"

what the fug
>>
>>81901357
Prime Directive is serious business
I remember in TOS Kirk said that a Captain should rather kill himself and his crew than break it. Of course later on he breaks it himself in other episodes.
>>
>>81901357

Ah yes, that was a good episode.
>>
>>81901203
Where NOMAD has gone before!
>>
>>81901157
Let's not forget that the TOS theme has lyrics too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8UlFN0kNq4&t=23

>Without Courage's knowledge, Roddenberry wrote lyrics to the theme — not in the expectation that they would ever be sung, but in order to claim a 50% share of the music's performance royalties. Although there was never any litigation, Courage later commented that he considered Roddenberry's conduct unethical. Roddenberry was quoted as responding, "Hey, I have to get some money somewhere. I'm sure not gonna get it out of the profits of Star Trek."
>>
>>81901357
That's Picard for you. People complain about Sisko being heartless for not sympathizing with the Maquis, but Picard would have acted in much the same ways and would have been just as autistic about MUH TREATY. Remember how he was fully prepared to let Sarjenka and her species be destroyed because of it.
>>
>>81901622
Remember when Picard forcibly evicted those Native Americans so that the Cardassians could take their planet?

Picard is the reason that the Maquis even exist.
>>
>>81901675
you mean Starfleet is the reason
and by the end of the episode they don't evict them anyway
>>
>>81901675

Jesus I forgot about that episode. Native Americans waited till 2400 AD and still the white man hadn't given their land back and then finally whitey gave them an entire planet to make up for America and so they move there and then like two weeks later whitey shows up in a spaceship and says "We gave this planet to some grey crab people so you can't stay here anymore".
>>
File: laughing iranian.jpg (120KB, 388x500px) Image search: [Google]
laughing iranian.jpg
120KB, 388x500px
>>81901763
>>
>>81901763
>even in a post-scarcity, post-class, post-religious, post-racial society, the white man still finds a way to fuck over the red man
>>
File: hack fraud.jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hack fraud.jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>81901763
>>81901920
What else should one expect from the "Armenian scam artist" era of Star Trek?
>>
>>81902507
The Primal Mind was actually really excellent.
>>
The episode I'm watching now a member of the away team died in an explosion. Her son is on-board, Worf wants to be the one to tell him because he was leading the away team but Picard says no, it's his responsibility. Picard meets with the kid;

>Picard: "Jeremy I have some bad news. Your mother is dead"
>Jeremy: "How sir?"
>Picard: "There was an explosive device on the mission site, she died instantly"
>Picard: "I understand your father is dead too?"
>Jeremy: "Yes, sir. He died five years ago"
>Jeremy: "I'm alone now sir"
>Picard: *taking his hand* "Jeremy, on the starship enterprise, no one is alone"

This shit will choke a nigga up.
>>
>>81903445
decent post but let's watch those n-bombs
>>
>>81903405
>I love being lied to! There's nothing wrong with lying to me! I trust everything that liars say!
t. scam artist apologist
>>
>>81903532
Wait, what in The Primal Mind is lies? I checked out the sources and they all seem legit
>>
>>81903598
The source is the liar.

He lied about his identity, he lied about his experience, he lied about his qualifications. You can't trust anything he says unless it has been verified by an independent third party.
>>
>>81903647
So when J. Highwater cites a source the source itself can't be trusted?
>>
>>81903677
Can you give me an example?
>>
>>81903598

I just looked it up and real natives who read his books claimed all along everything it in was false, and that as soon as they read them they could tell he was making everything up;

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamake_Highwater#False_ancestry_claims

>Between 1982 and 1983 Highwater and his Primal Mind Foundation had received more than $825,000 dollars in federal grant money from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). His claims of Native ancestry were strongly disputed by American Indian activists, who argued that his works were inauthentic and stereotypical. They said that he had illegally received the grant money by misrepresenting material facts about his life.[7]
>>
>>81903773

>Following an expose by Anderson in the Washington Post, Highwater stopped claiming Indian heritage in promotional literature. When questioned by Anderson about why he had assumed an Indian identity, he said that he had thought he could not break into the writing world otherwise.[4]
>>
>>81903773
>>81903805
>Jamake Highwater (1942–2001) served as a consultant on Native American culture to Star Trek: Voyager. Though he claimed American Indian ancestry, he was in fact Armenian. Highwater was heavily criticized by actual American Indians for his writings, which typically contained stereotypical and inaccurate depictions of Indian culture.

>Highwater was born either Jay Marks or Gregory J. Markopoulos,[4] an Armenian adopted by a Greek family. He was going by the name J. Marks at the time he was writing professionally in the early 1960s. In 1969 he started going by Jamake Highwater,[4] and began claiming he was of American Indian ancestry, but gave conflicting accounts of the details.[2]

>Highwater's false claims to American Indian ancestry were documented in a 1984 Akwesasne Notes article by Hank Adams. Between 1982 and 1983 Highwater and his Primal Mind Foundation received over $825,000 dollars in federal grant money from the Corporation for Public Broadcasting (CPB). His claims of Native ancestry were heavily disputed by actual American Indian activists, who argued his works were inauthentic and stereotypical and that the grant money was received illegally through a misrepresentation of material fact.[5] Following an expose by Jack Anderson in the Washington Post, Highwater stopped claiming Indian heritage in promotional literature, although confusion about his heritage remained widespread.[2]

Bravo Berman!
>>
>>81903702
The Primal Mind is a valuable attempt to explain Native American culture to the dominant culture, using the the dominant culture's understanding of the Artist (as visionary individual) as a plank to bridge the conceptual gap. J. Highwater is sensitive to the varieties of individualism within Native cultures and between Native culture and the dominant culture. It's an anthology of poetry, stories, and plays by modern Indian writers curated by J. Highwater. It is not fantastical. It is not made up. Fascinating addition to any post-colonial philosophical investigation. Jamake Highwater's arguments give the reader the opportunity to traverse the transitional space between the 'western' philosophical canon and Native American philosophy. By addressing the different conceptions of concepts like time and story J. Highwater is able to provide the reader with a more comprehensive understanding of different views.

I suggest you read it, or view the documentary (preview available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaqGQOE5yg)
>>
>>81903876
It's not Berman's fault, the whole academic community was duped to the point that some people still use his books for Native American studies.
>>
>>81903897
I asked for an example and you refused to provide one.

Do you work for his estate? Do you get paid when people buy a copy?

Fuck off, please.
>>
>>81903930
All you have to do is pay for a book or documentary if you want sources.

J. Highwater received acclaim from T.S. Eliot, Joseph Campbell, Anais Nin, and Jean Cocteau but you, a doofus on a star trek thread on an internet portapotty, claim superiority because you can paste wikipedia (LOL) material? Do you even know how wikipedia works?
>>
>>81904131
>J. Highwater received acclaim from T.S. Eliot, Joseph Campbell, Anais Nin, and Jean Cocteau
They didn't know that he lied about his identity, he lied about his experience and he lied about his qualifications.

I'm not going to give you a single cent, you worthless shill.
>>
>>81903897

His name was not 'Highwater'. He was an Armenian, raised by Greeks. named Gregory J. Markopoulos. He's as much a native american as I am. (not at all)
>>
>>81900926
But that is the TNG theme?
>>
Even the star trek wiki knows;

>http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Jamake_Highwater

>Jamake Highwater (1942–3 June 2001) served as a consultant on Native American culture to Star Trek: Voyager. Though he claimed American Indian ancestry, he was in fact Armenian. Highwater was heavily criticized by actual American Indians for his writings, which typically contained stereotypical and inaccurate depictions of Indian culture. (A Vision of the Future - Star Trek: Voyager, p.199)
>>
Kek I see the Jamake Highwater /tv/ defense force is back. I wonder if we can summon Kate Mulgrew's son as well.
>>
>>81900654
Wageslave detected. Nog did nothing wrong and fuck his normie """friends""" and family for ruining his comfy hololife.
>>
>anonymous posters who claim to be Star Trek experts criticise a lauded individual whom the liberal media has chosen to attack, without even reading his books or watching his documentaries
Is this really what /trek/ has devolved into?
>>
>>81904409
>Nog did nothing wrong
He enlisted in the imperialist war machine known as Starfleet.
>>
>>81904434
Nobody would be attacking him if he hadn't based his entire career on lies.

>without even reading his books or watching his documentaries
You want us to pay for them. I don't want to use my money to support liars (or their estates).

Fuck off, estate shill.
>>
>>81904368

Why are they doing this? What's all this about?

Even a cursory glance at the sources on the wikipedia page confirm this man was an utter fraud. Why are the defending him?
>>
>>81904501
>You want us to pay for them
You could read and view all of J. Highwater's material for free using your local library.

You're just lazy and only want to use Wikipedia as your primary source, because you buy the narrative constructed against Mr. Highwater.

It would be really easy for you to, for no money, address your concerns, but you aren't willing to do it. You're scared of what you might discover.
>>
>>81904503
>Why are the defending him?
Some people come to 4chan because they view total anonymity as a tool to be more honest than they can be anywhere else in their lives.

Some people come to 4chan because they view total anonymity as a tool to be more dishonest than they can be anywhere else in their lives.

This is a member of the latter group. They troll for the lulz.
>>
I just finished all of DS9, I'm not going to rehash the Maquis thing because it gets talked to death every thread. But there was something else that really bothered me.

It's towards the end of the last season, the federation alliance is invading a Cardassian world with ground troops. Martok is giving his report to Sisko and says "Our troups are facing the 11th Legion, it's a reserve battalion made up of old men and children. They will pose little resistance" and he starts laughing, and I thought it would be a cut to Sisko looking grim faced and shocked but Sisko starts laughing as well! And says "That's good news general".

What the christ? This the most un-federation thing I've ever seen. Even for a Klingon general it seemed out of character. What honor in killing old men and children?
>>
>>81904368
>Kate Mulgrew's son

Oh jeez what did he do? I'm almost afraid to ask.
>>
File: no jamake highwater.png (19KB, 1014x304px) Image search: [Google]
no jamake highwater.png
19KB, 1014x304px
>>81904592
My library threw out all his books because he's a hack fraud and they didn't want to mislead library patrons with his untrustworthy lies.

Sorry, I'm not going to pay money to support you, shill.
>>
>>81904603

I can understand this, hell I've done it.

But this seems to be at least one person just heavily promoting this guy for some reason. Just seems really weird.
>>
>>81904716
>implying you couldn't use interlibrary loan
I suspect you haven't even set foot in a library, poseur.
>>
>>81904368
>Kek I see the Jamake Highwater /tv/ defense force is back.

... we've argued about this guy before? I never even knew about him before this thread?
>>
>>81904727
You're talking about me in a roundabout way. I'm not afraid to directly address you as you are me.

The fact is, I read The Primal Mind and watched the doco. They contain solid facts. It's not weird to say so. Anyone can pay to read or watch these nonfiction pieces and analyse them for themselves. Or you can rely on Wikipedia
>>
>>81904699
He did nothing except be neglected by Kate Mulgrew and raised by his nanny instead, which Kate "deeply" "regrets".
>>
>>81904699
There used to be a "daily reminder" type poster in every thread who would rant about how Kate Mulgrew was an awful person who abandoned her son.
>>
>>81904840
>The fact is, I read The Primal Mind and watched the doco.
So you spent money on worthless trash.

You have our condolences.

>They contain solid facts.
They do contain solid facts.

They also contain solid lies.

Until an independent third party goes through them all and verifies every single claim, none of them can be trusted.
>>
>>81904797
He usually gets brought up in any thread where Chakotay is mentioned, but I haven't seen the guy that defends him in awhile.
>>
>>81904892
>So you spent money
Or perhaps I used interlibrary loan. You wouldn't know as you're only LARPing about this subject and would never even attempt to obtain actual objective information about J. Highwater.

>Until an independent third party goes through them all and verifies every single claim
Could be you, but you haven't seen any of the claims except what Wikipedia editors have deemed acceptable for relevant articles.

Nice life, man, letting Wikipedia decide facts for you
>>
File: sloan and aryan.jpg (87KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
sloan and aryan.jpg
87KB, 692x530px
So we're all agreed that 'In the Pale Moonlight' is the best Trek episode right?
>>
>>81904687
Benjamin "the number of Cardassians should be zero" Sisko

Benjamin "eats Cardassian meat by the kilo" Sisko

Benjamin "it's not murder if it's a Cardassian sicko" Sisko
>>
>>81904961
>Could be you,
No, it couldn't be. I'm not qualified to evaluate his claims because I don't have the necessary experience or education in that field. Neither do you. Neither does Gregory Markopoulos.

All we can do is trust in the experts, and the experts say that he's a fraud.
>>
>>81904687
I'd always assumed that Martok's "old men and children" comment was shit talking, not that they were literally going up against a legion of child soldiers.
>>
>>81905051
>All we can do is trust in the experts
J. Highwater received acclaim from T.S. Eliot, Joseph Campbell, Anais Nin, and Jean Cocteau but you, a doofus who can't even grok interlibrary loan, claim fraudulence when you haven't even read the original text for no good reason?

Phaser yourself.
>>
>>81905051
Has anyone actually challenged the content and research in his Books? I thought the charge was that he was lying about his ancestry for publicity sake.
>>
>>81904974
>So we're all agreed that this episode that's the complete antithesis to Star Trek, and is everything the series stood against is the best Trek episode right?

No.
>>
File: 1454635236546.jpg (58KB, 449x871px) Image search: [Google]
1454635236546.jpg
58KB, 449x871px
>Computer, create a 1000 foot naked Seven of Nine squatting over San Francisco while afflicted with all gastrointestinal diseases in the medical database.

>Computer, disengage safety protocols.
>>
>>81905119
Those are pretty terrible arguments anon. A lot of smart people praised the protocols of the elders of zion, but I don't need to read that to know it's a fake. IT'S A FAAAAAKE
>>
>>81904727
Three options.

1, they do it for money (as a family member or employee of his estate, they get paid when people pay for his works).
2, they do it to rationalize their money (they paid for his works, and they refuse to acknowledge that they wasted their money, possibly because they are neuroatypical).
3, they do it as a joke.

What do you think is the most likely option?
>>
File: sloan.jpg (40KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
sloan.jpg
40KB, 768x576px
>>81905138
Okay, so we're all agreed that Deep Space 9 is the best Trek right?
>>
>>81905119
I'm not impressed that he fooled people, considering that those people had no idea that he was trying to fool them.

>>81905132
>Highwater was heavily criticized by actual American Indians for his writings, which typically contained stereotypical and inaccurate depictions of Indian culture. (A Vision of the Future - Star Trek: Voyager, p.199)
Not just his ancestry, but also the bullshit that he justified with his fake ancestry.
>>
File: b5.jpg (97KB, 620x320px) Image search: [Google]
b5.jpg
97KB, 620x320px
What the fuck is this god awful shite?

I've sat through the first garbage season and I was told "Ahh, no, don't worry it gets really good in season 2."

Instead, the first five episodes have been markedly worse and they changed the main guy to a shittier more generic version of the generic gruff captain from the first season.

Whichever of you suggested this to me, I'm really disappointed. It's not even close to the worst of the worst Star Treks, that's how bad it is.
>>
>>81904840

Okay, I can understand you liked the book and the documentary. Lets look at it this way;

Suppose you had read a book about about Japanese culture, mythos, traditions and were very impressed. But actual Japanese people who read the book didn't agree with what was being written in it, and said a lot of it was wrong and made up. No one really listened to this at first, and the man who wrote the book, Haruto Takahashi started a foundation about Japanese culture in New York and got $800,000 in grants. Eventually some reporters got interested enough about the complaints about authenticity that they checked into his background and it turned out, Haruto Takahashi wasn't really Japanese. In fact his name wasn't Haruto Takahashi at all, his real name was Micheal J. Burlington and he was a white guy, born in New Hampshire, who had pretended to be Japanese and was such a big fan of Japanese culture that he took what he knew about it, made up some stuff as well, and wrote some books about how he imagined Japanese culture to be.

After all this came out can you see how, even if you really liked the books and the stuff he said in them, you would feel like he was a fraud? And that even if some of the things he had said about Japanese culture were insightful, you would know that it was all based on a lie. Made up by someone who was never Japanese in the first place. Not to mention, you know, how Japanese people would feel about this whole thing.
>>
>>81905219
>I'm not impressed that he fooled people, considering that those people had no idea that he was trying to fool them
>All we can do is trust in the experts
Which is it?
>>
>>81905303
T.S. Eliot, Joseph Campbell, Anais Nin, and Jean Cocteau didn't even know Gregory J. Markopoulos' real name. That's how thoroughly they were fooled.

They were not experts.
>>
>>81905246
That's well and good, but the fact is that J. Highwater actually did research despite slight fibbing about his ancestry and the citations are all there for anyone to see if you'd only purchase the material he produced.
>>
>>81905081

Later in the episode Damar is complaining to Weyoun that they can't leave the 11th Legion unsupported because it's made up of kids who were too young to go through basic yet and old men who were too old to get called up.

I mean this literally did happen in Germany towards the end of WWII, so I understand what they are going for, but Sisko being happy about it just seemed so out of character. It was pretty jarring.
>>
>>81905358
Citation for this assertion? That's not even on Wikipedia and you haven't read any of his books or seen any of his documentaries so how do you know this?
>>
>>81905370
>slight fibbing
Complete fibbing.

If you can't even acknowledge this then you are fundamentally disconnected from the reality of the situation.
>>
>>81905384
I guess Sisko just really likes killing kids.
>>
>>81905370
>slight fibbing

He was an Armenian raised by Greeks. This is not "slight fibbing" sir.
>>
Reminder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaqGQOE5yg
>>
>>81905162

I'd prefer it if she put me inside her boot. But I guess I can roll with this.
>>
>>81905234
It's just not for you, I guess. 5 episodes into season 2 they've been more than just teasing the overall plot, its started. You don't have any interest in the Shadows and what the fuck they're up to? The Vorlons and what they're up to? The Mimbari and what they're up to? No curiosity about everything that's going on on Earth? If nothing is grabbing you then you're just not for you, man. Go try something else. Space: Above and Beyond is pretty fun.
>>
What the fuck is this aimless argument pertaining to?

I thought this was a Trek thread.
>>
>>81905408
>>81905416
Pure ad hominem. You lot refuse to discuss the veracity of J. Highwater's research and only ever attack the man, and what's more, you refuse to even read or view the academic content he produced for free via interlibrary loan, instead accepting the biased word of Wikipedia as absolute truth.

Absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>81905496

It's one crazy person vs five baffled people.
>>
>>81905496
Do you remember Chakotay, that awful boring character on Voyager?

Voyager's Native American writing adviser was actually an Armenian scam artist.

That's why Chakotay's character was so hollow.

>>81905498
You have demonstrated that you are more biased than Wikipedia, and therefore you are less trustworthy than Wikipedia.

Next thread, you need to acknowledge that he lied completely and that it wasn't just "slight fibbing", and then a more productive discussion can begin.
>>
>>81905540
>five baffled people
T.S. Eliot, Joseph Campbell, Anais Nin, and Jean Cocteau?
>>
>>81905576
They died before he was exposed as a fraud.
>>
>>81905572
>That's why Chakotay's character was so hollow.
You can't blame jay marks for that. Look at every other character on the show.
>>
>>81905590
That was only four people, asshole.
>>
File: 1491596693900-his.png (148KB, 624x672px) Image search: [Google]
1491596693900-his.png
148KB, 624x672px
>>81905496
I have no idea what's going on, but I'm enjoying it. This guy is really passionate about this Highwater dude, it's the kind of autism you only see in Trek fans.
>>
>>81904687

>Upon being asked what it felt like to kill an intelligent living being, Captain Sisko answered "I wouldn't know, I've only ever killed Spoonheads."
>>
>>81905494
>You don't have any interest in the Shadows and what the fuck they're up to?
You mean that laughable technomage episode or are you talking about the stupid ghost like figures that were talking to the Italian guy who had the Narn base blown up? Either way, both is children's daytime horror tier villain.
>The Vorlons and what they're up to?
They've barely talked about them, it's been about some stupid Mars subplot
>The Mimbari and what they're up to?
The chick fucking went into a cacoon and grew hair and apparently is a part of some secret spooky counsel that had some stuff done to Sinclair and other hints that have done nothing in the slightest to whet my palate.
No curiosity about everything that's going on on Earth?
No, and President R. Budd Dwyer hasn't helped either.

I think these species come across and are presented almost in comical fashion. The only parts I've liked about this series thus far was Sinclair, Londo, and Bill Mumy. It's categorized as "space opera" on wikipedia, maybe that accounts for it being a bit too fantastical for my tastes.
>>
>>81905498

If you wrote a book about computer science, and claimed you were black and later it turned out you were actually white, no one would care. As long as the content in the book was sound it wouldn't even be relevant and would not affect it's scholastic value. Attacking the book on this basis would be ad hominem, because it's irrelevant.

If you wrote a book about Inuit culture and traditions, claimed to be Inuit, and then it later came out that you were a Dutch guy from Eindhoven, this would affect the scholastic value of the book and attacking the book on this basis would not be an ad hominem.

Do you see the distinction?
>>
>>81905572
Please stop posting. No one gives a fuck about all this fringe factoid shit.
>>
>>81905679
Sure.
>>
>>81905618
What's going on is that I posted >>81903405 stating:
>The Primal Mind was actually really excellent.
in reference to a book I'd read and a documentary I'd watched.

Then some insane person kept attacking me when he hadn't even read the book or viewed the documentary and refused to do so, appealing to cost, even when interlibrary loan options were presented to him.

The current state of this argument is that the insane person refuses to use interlibrary loans or cash to view or read The Primal Mind and will only ever use Wikipedia as his source of information. So, I win, but it's deeply unsatisfying.
>>
>>81904974

It makes me angry because they abducted, tortured, and murdered a patriot in order to cure a disease that was killing the people they were at war with, people who were literally at that moment murdering millions of federation citizens every day. People who were on the record planning to genocide earth if they successfully occupied it, and once the Cardassian people turned against them tried to genocide and exterminate them as well. But oh no lets murder a starfleet operative to cure a race of fanatically xenophobic vicious murderous scum who are engaged in a war of extermination against the the federation, klingons, and romulans and have already killed tens of millions.
>>
File: memory alpha autism.jpg (46KB, 650x350px) Image search: [Google]
memory alpha autism.jpg
46KB, 650x350px
>>81905618
What did Google mean by this?
>>
>>81905618
I started coming to trek threads just for the shitflinging autism spectacle, and eventually decided I should actually watch the show. Now it kind of pisses me off that every thread gets derailed.
>>
>>81904974
his wyfe is named after what i am
>>
>>81904687
>>81905081
>>81905384
You misremembered the episode.

>MARTOK: Septimus Three will fall within the week. The Cardassian Eleventh Order. It's a reserve unit. Old men and walking wounded. They don't stand a chance.
Nothing about kids. Not from Martok, and not from Damar either.
>>
>>81905788
Picard had the same dillemma with the borg. I think that preventative genocide is a pretty serious moral dilemma to grapple with, and it's interesting even if you disagree with the writer's view.
>>
>>81905814
Well, lesson learned. If somebody lies about their identity, don't ever bring up the lie, because someone, somewhere, somehow will voluntary join an Internet Defense Force and rush to their aid.

By the way, I'm Rick Berman. Ask me anything.
>>
>>81905934
Did you ever get to fuck seven?
>>
>>81905946
No, that was my best friend Brannon.

Next question.
>>
>>81905934
...and if someone attacks a book or documentary, just rely on the Wikipedia entry without applying any context about who the editors are or what their motivations might be and also without reading the book or documentary yourself, a greentext and holier-than-thou trolling campaign suffices for actual knowledge even though interlibrary loans exists
>>
>>81905934

Are you really putting a Muslim on the new Trek Mr Berman. Because I've seen every episode of every series, but that would push me into what marketers call "Brand Divorce".
>>
>>81905958
Opinions and expectations on Discovery, based on what we know so far?
>>
>>81905974
Lol, get a life.

>>81905978
I don't work on the new Star Trek.
>>
>>81905974
The book is irrelevant. Hank Adams outed his as a fraud. Why would you read the works of a fraud?
>>
>>81905890

I always like a good dilemma. Even if I disagree with the character. But with the borg and the founders the obvious answer was to eliminate them.

Because they didn't how many millions died? It's like Batman refusing to kill the joker because killing is wrong and then the Joker breaks out of Arkham again next week and kills another family and gasses a museum with Smilax. If that was my family I would want to kill the batman as much as the joker, probably more honestly.
>>
>>81905870

Okay I can believe this, but it's still pretty bad.
>>
>>81906043
>The book is irrelevant because I can't google information about it and there's nothing about it on wikipedia
Have you heard of interlibrary loan? I'm not saying you have to use it, but it's free and you wouldn't seem so colossally foolish if you actually knew what you were talking about instead of just constantly bullshitting based on hearsay.
>>
>>81906007
Part of what went wrong with Enterprise is that Brannon and I were forced to put it out immediately after Voyager ended. We initially requested a full year for brainstorming and development after production ended on Voyager before we would begin production on Enterprise, but UPN informed us that they wanted it immediately for the upcoming Fall season, and they would have no trouble letting us go and replacing us with someone else as executive producers. Since we weren't ready to let our baby go to another set of parents just yet, Brannon and I agreed to operate according to UPN's demands.

I am pleased to see that CBS is providing the Discovery crew with all the time that they need to get their show just right. There are a few reasons to be fearful for the show's future, but the simple fact that they have already fixed Enterprise's #1 misstep leaves me cautiously optimistic.
>>
>>81906069
Sisko didn't laugh about it either. They immediately changed the subject to his marriage.
>>
>>81905788

Why were Bashir, Miles and Sisko not tried for kidnapping, murder and treason for the abduction and murder of starfleet citizen Luther Sloan?
>>
>>81906209
>starfleet citizen Luther Sloan
Who? I've never heard of such a person. I'm looking at my PADD right now and there's no record of this individual. I'm looking at my other PADD too and it says the same. In fact, all three of my PADDs indicate that you are making this up, sir.
>>
>>81906052
The Borg, sure, they're soulless, but the Founders? They're people, they could be reasoned with. What differentiates them from other enemies of the Federation? Why not exterminate the Jlomgoms too, just in case? They would have carried on a war with the Federation just as relentlessly as the Founders did. I always sympathized a little with the Founders. The whole the Dominion became a thing was to prevent their own genocide. And eveytime Odo tried to show how humanoids could be good the show shit on him, from his friends saying that he was scary, to Klingons wanting to kill him, to fucking Starfleet infecting him with a plague. Laas was right about solids in every point he made, they would never fully embrace the changelings as they did each other.
>>
>>81906098
Dude holy shit I know what interlibrary loan is, I'm just not going to use it to read a book by a fraud.
>>
>>81906293
>I know what interlibrary loan is
fucking faggot
>>
>>81906306
Warning: You're losing your entertainment value.
>>
>>81906250

He was real! He was real and they killed him!

A man who gave his entire life to protecting the federation and saved millions of lives. They strapped him down in a med bay and tortured him to death with illegal Romulan brain bore device.
>>
>>81906284
>Jlomgoms
*Klingons

What the fuck, autocorrect
>>
>>81906293
>I know what interlibrary loan is

NERD ALERT
>>
>>81906318
I only care about entertainment value derived, not provided.
>>
>>81906354
Those damn Jlomgoms.
>>
Why did nobody ever address the fact that Janeway and Paris had weird mutant lizard sex and abandoned their children to die on an alien world?
>>
>>81906425
Because that's pretty much what Janeway did IRL, so she didn't see anything wrong with it.
>>
>>81906425
Talk about what? It was just a typical day on the USS Voyager
>>
>>81906284

The founders whole back story always seemed false to me, there was never a scrap of proof of any of it. I doubt they were ever even persecuted.

They were different than other foes of the federation like the Klingons or Romulans or Cardassians. They considered themselves enemies of ALL solids, literally enemies of all corporeal life. They had no qualms at all about complete extermination of any solids and felt no empathy or remorse even about genocide. The only solids they permitted close to them were ones they had genetically engineered to have no free will and to worship them as gods, a crime in itself.

Even if there is peace for now by their nature they will attempt to subjugate or exterminate all solid life again. It's in their nature. Section 31 was completely right about trying to kill them all and infecting Odo years ahead of time on the guess that he would one day link with some group racial race-ocean was a stroke of genius. Undone by short-sighted fools.
>>
>>81906052
I don't think the founders ever posed a genocidal threat. An existential threat to the federation, yes, but their goal was subjugation, not extermination. Thats what fundamentally separates it from the Borg question. Picard should've totally offed those fuckers.
>>
>>81906425
>Computer, recreate the conditions of this planet on holodeck 2.
>Computer, beam my children directly to holodeck 2.
>Computer, give me a subplot where I visit my children for at least one episode every year.
Was that so hard, Janeway? Was that so hard?
>>
File: hapicard.jpg (500KB, 1007x1080px) Image search: [Google]
hapicard.jpg
500KB, 1007x1080px
>>81906523
>voyager
>remembering previous episodes
>>
>>81906425

Why did nobody ever address that Janeway reset the entire timeline of the universe back 40 years killing trillions of people of all races when she collapsed the entire timeline and affecting all of those lives in unknowable ways good or bad in the new reality she created just because she felt bad for half a dozen people that she personally knew.

Honestly the worst villain in all of Trek. Absolutely fucking vile.
>>
>>81906500
Didn't other species corroborate that changelings used to be hated but then they all died out?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>>81906409
Jlomgom bastards... THEY KILLED MY HRGONKDL!
>>
>>81906554

No one ever corroborated it. Wayoun told some story about how his race was given and genetic uplift because they protected and hid a founder that was being chased by solids but I never believed a word of it. That was just some creation myth the founders made up for their clone-pets to make them feel special.
>>
>>81905162
>look up what this is about
oh my fucking god, Transformers The Lost Light literally stole this entire plot line, right up to everyone on one version getting killed except for the person who died on the first one.
But memory alpha is incorrect. The kim that is "replaced" isn't the "main" kim, they were literally the same kim. It shouldn't use the term replaced at all because the kim we saw for the rest of the episodes WAS the kim we saw all episodes before. They were effectively twinned, not duplicated. They are both equally valid, rather than one being a copy of the other.
That's the entire reason the warp core was having problems.
>>
>>81905234
Babylon 5 is the best show ever, or at least I thought so when I was 18. I'd say if you don't enjoy it by now you can quit.
>>
>>81906657
would be better if combined with andromeda
>>
File: BarclayHolodeck[1].jpg (76KB, 340x260px) Image search: [Google]
BarclayHolodeck[1].jpg
76KB, 340x260px
>Computer, create a perfect mommy for me.
>[Please specify parameters of "mommy".]
>Computer, create a perfect-werfect mommy to take care of dis widdle baby boy, wight now!
>>
>>81906545
Why did the costuming department of Nemesis make Janeway a Vice Admiral?

It was the alternate timeline Janeway (the one who annihilated trillions of lives) who was a 3-pip Vice Admiral.

The normal Janeway should have just been a 1-pip Rear Admiral (Lower Half).
>>
>>81906591
Nvm, I was thinking of Croden's story about changeling persecution, but I forgot that he made the whole thing up so that Odo would rescue him.
>>
File: theresamay.jpg (60KB, 1200x680px) Image search: [Google]
theresamay.jpg
60KB, 1200x680px
>>81906687
>yfw it spawns mommy may
>>
>Jordi asks the enterprise computer to generate a personality for his holo-waifu so they can solve an engineering problem together

>the computer, literally in less than one second, creates a self-aware personality construct so perfect that not only could it pass the turing test but is so perfect Jordi falls in love with it

And yet they still don't have AI.
>>
>>81906927

Well, there's Data and the Exocomps.
Starfleet has it's reason for not using AI more widely though, in the Star Trek universe those things always turn evil. I mean, just look at the original series.
>>
>>81905176
But they are entirely true, that's the problem.
>>
>>81906927

I'm watching the rest of this Jordi holo-waifu episode and Picard walks in to find out how the repairs are going and Jordi tries to introduce Picard to his holowaifu and Picard just wordlessly glances at her, then back at Jordi like he's dealing with a complete fucking lunatic.
>>
File: 1485554357052.jpg (67KB, 600x549px) Image search: [Google]
1485554357052.jpg
67KB, 600x549px
>>81906927

>the episode where the real version of Geordi's holo-waifu meets him and is a bitch
>when she eventually stumbles upon the holo version

I got second hand nervous sweats
>>
File: Leah_Brahms-1.jpg (26KB, 700x535px) Image search: [Google]
Leah_Brahms-1.jpg
26KB, 700x535px
Leah was a complete qt, I'd fuck a hologram of her too.
>>
>>81907522
Her and Ensign Lefler were absolute top tier of the franchise.
>>
>>81907656
I'd also include Farris, the bitchy first officer from Valiant.
>>
File: Saavik.jpg (755KB, 1000x1265px) Image search: [Google]
Saavik.jpg
755KB, 1000x1265px
>>81907656
>>81907736

Forgetting someone?
>>
File: 1403743956521.jpg (92KB, 741x563px) Image search: [Google]
1403743956521.jpg
92KB, 741x563px
>>81907829
We should make a chart or something
>>
>>81907736

I'd include Lt. Selar, the Vulcan doctor on TNG.
>>
File: 1461364801214.png (1018KB, 1433x750px) Image search: [Google]
1461364801214.png
1018KB, 1433x750px
>tfw you put Voyager on and get comfy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOElzUkr5a0
>>
File: Intendant Kira.webm (1019KB, 567x426px) Image search: [Google]
Intendant Kira.webm
1019KB, 567x426px
>>
File: fuck.gif (2MB, 299x222px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.gif
2MB, 299x222px
Just watched the Robin Hood episode for the first time. My fuck, Worf is hilarious.
>>
>crew of the *insert ship here* encounters new alien civilization in the *insert quadrant here*
>aliens are peaceful and technologically advanced, but they commit pederasty as a cultural institution

How does the crew of *insert ship here* deal with such a thing.
>>
Post GOAT lines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8-917vo9C8
>>
>>81910005

We encountered this in Afghanistan

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacha_bazi

and we were a more technologically advanced society, like the federation, who could have forced them to stop. Instead we let them continue their culture even though we find it monstrous, because at this point it is impossible for the west to criticize any non-white culture in any way lest they be called racist. Presumably the federation would do something similar.
>>
>>81910005
They recruit one to be ships cook and later morale officer.
Thread posts: 193
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.