[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was this movie so good? Literally my favourite movie.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: whiplash.34229.jpg (210KB, 1400x2100px) Image search: [Google]
whiplash.34229.jpg
210KB, 1400x2100px
Why was this movie so good? Literally my favourite movie.
>>
>>81896305
me too I love it
>>
I don't know but be prepared for the horde of edgy teens that will arrive to tell you it was 'reddit' or whatever buzzword they feel like using right now

For the rest of you, what other films are there like Whiplash? Green Room was pretty good and tense but nowhere near as good.
>>
>>81896305
Great script. Really tight. Doesn't waste any screentime and it evolves in a really smooth way.
>>
It shows how women are shallow beasts who doesn't have dreams
>>
File: hqdefault (5).jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (5).jpg
20KB, 480x360px
Everything was 10/10 except this fucking scene

Likely the most unrealistic "asking out" scene in cinema history
>>
>>81897426
What do you mean like Whiplash? I mean Green Room doesn't bear a lot of resemblance unless you're talking about that fear factor.

>>81897477
Women are barely involved with the plot though, he stops seeing somebody because he wants to concentrate on drumming, she doesn't flip out and demand he doesn't or anything.
>>
>>81897535

Just that it's a recent film about musicians in very tense situations. I know it's not very similar but it's the closest I've found.
>>
>>81897589
well then maybe the killing room
>>
NOT
>>
I hate Miles Teller but I still love Whiplash. Movie was very intense, it almost reminded me a bit of Black Swan. I kept thinking to myself "Why would anyone put themselves through this shit?"
>>
>>81898368
>I hate a person I've never met

What did you mean by this anon?
>>
Mine too. I honestly have no issues with it. It is razor tight and a fantastic film with a 10/10 ending
>>
>>81896305
But it's not.
It's not even a reddit film (yeah i'm calling you out >>81897426 faggot.)

The reason so many normies (and ironically edgy teens) like this is because it's basically very exciting, much like crack. Exciting and full of adrenaline but ultimately empty and devoid of substance. This has more in common with a thrilling action film like Crank than it does with a serious tale about ambition (Glengary Glen Ross, Adaptation), perfectionism (Black Swan, The Aviator), or brutal instructors (Full Metal Jacket).

The script is horseshit. It literally plays out as if Damien Chazelle was working through one of those paint-by-numbers screen-writing books (i.e. on page 35 the inciting incident happens, on page 72 place this dramatic conflict). It's so formulaic and poorly conceived, i'm actually shocked when people tell me with a straight face that they found the characterization and arcs well developed. No, what they mean is that the film is hella f*cking epic!! If it weren't for JK Simmons carrying the flick the thin pillars acting as supports would immediately fall apart.

And this is the kind of shit i'm talking about >>81897535
It's so bare-bones in the way it was written and executed that you really don't give a shit when you see it, but it's put there out of plot necessity, unfortunately, without Chazelle actually putting any proper thought into it.
>>
>>81899349
upvoted (y)
>>
>>81899349
None of the other garbage you mentioned is good either. Watch more movies.
>>
>>81899349
I think it's overrated but I think you're being unfair with your characterisation, what it has over Crank is that it does actually say something, it makes a statement and has a message. It develops an atmosphere and it brings you into what is basically an abusive relationship between student and teacher. That is what I found interesting, I would assume that's what draws people to it, Simmons is scary but compelling, you want to please him but you also think he's a complete bastard. He's something I think a lot of people have.
>>
>>81899349
You're obviously just a contrarian faggot.

>devoid of substance
nobody is saying Whiplash is super deep, but it obviously has substance. It deals with its subject matter of ambition in an honest way and evolves the idea over the course of the film

>The script is horseshit. It literally plays out as if Damien Chazelle was working through one of those paint-by-numbers screen-writing books
wow you mean that films tend to share the shame narrative characteristics? Whoa dude, really blows my mind

Anyway whether it's shallow or formulaic or whatever you want to say, it's still better than 99% of films like it because it actually manages to have a point and organize itself around its point without a bunch of filler. It actually has a vision rather than a bunch of cliches competing for screen time.
>>
Shows a beta/loser with only one goal in life and actually achieves what he wanted
>>
>>81899349
holy fk get a load of the leddit cuck
>>
>>81899529
>Glengary Glen Ross
>Full Metal Jacket
>not good
you didn't like these films?
>>
>>81899961
but at what cost is the question I think the film asks.
>>
>>81899961
Say no more senpai
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.