[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Laserdisc?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 8

File: mother-fucking-laser-disc.jpg (23KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
mother-fucking-laser-disc.jpg
23KB, 500x400px
does /tv/ have any personal experience with laserdiscs?

The only time in life that I can recall actually seeing one was when a Spanish teacher popped a suite into a player for middle school Spanish language class. Apart from this, I became aware through later weeaboo days that Pioneer had put out a bunch of laserdiscs of animu, but I'd never seen any in a shop or anything like that.
>>
You could probably make a lot of money if you figured out a way to make bootleg laser discs.
>>
I had a friend in high school whose parents were wealthy and he had like every anime that was on laserdisc, on laserdisc. I knew about popular-at-the-time anime before meeting this guy but he introduced me to a ton of stuff.

I saw laserdiscs for sale when I went to college in Japan. My platonic girl friend's husband showed me Drunken Master II on laserdisc and it blew my mind.
/blog
>>
>>81864184
You were in college when laserdiscs were still being sold? What are you, 50?
>>
>>81864275
I last visited Japan in 2005 and laserdiscs were still on shelves in stores.
>>
Got a laserdisc player sitting in my basement.
>>
the only thing that kept me from collecting laser discs is you have to switch sides to finish the movie

never knew they were analog though that's interesting
>>
>>81864275
>You were in college when laserdiscs were still being sold? What are you, 50?

LD's were still on sale through the early 00s, I'm in my 30's and my parents had a LD player that they got when they put in a home theater system. I have copies of the unfucked starwars trilogy and Alien.
>>
>>81863950
Bootleg Laserdisc's exist but are incredibly rare. There's one of Robocop originating from Hong Kong.
>>
>>81864640
I remember them in middle school. My buddy's parents had one and I remember watching Bravehear on Laserdisc. This was in also in the early 2000's. I wonder what dumb nerds would pay more for. Your unfucked Star Wars on LD or mine on VHS. I don't even like Star Wars but I got it for $5 and they're unopened.
>>
>Robert Downey Jr plays a gamecube game.jpg
>>
Buddy has a couple of players and neither work, they're apparently pretty delicate and hard to maintain. I don't see the point though, it's digital so there's no benefit. With vinyl you can make an argument that it sounds different. The only reason to have a laserdisc is novelty?
>>
>>81864275
laser discs were still sold in the 2000's because people thought they were better than early DVDs
>>
>>81864924
>it's digital

they're not
>>
>>81863875
LASERDISC IS BY FAR THE COOLEST VINTAGE MEDIA FORMAT

SHITS STRAIGHT OUTTA BLADE RUNNER

VAPORWAVE IS ALL OVER THIS AESTHETIC
>>
>>81864924

See:

>>81864989

Laserdisc works just like a radio.
>>
>>81864989
>>81865045
That's crazy I had no idea. Are there people who believe that the video and/or sound is better in this format?
>>
>>81863875
I have a pretty sizeable Laserdisc collection. I have that Star Wars Box Set which has the unaltered versions and the History of Lucasfilm book. I also have 2 copies of Blade Runner (Director's Cut and Theatrical Criterion Collection).
Aesthetically the best is the red Evil Dead 2 disc.
>>
>>81863875
what the fuck why are your hands so small
>>
>>81865026

Nah, they're not really that cool. I'm honestly surprised no company has started producing film reels to sell to collectors something like that.
>>
>>81863875
>manlytears holding a gamecube game
>>
>>81865115
Jesus Christ that's a million-dollar idea
>>
>>81865082
>Are there people who believe that the video and/or sound is better in this format?

No. This "analog = better" meme needs to die.
>>
>>81865150

d-don't steal it
>>
>>81865082

Wanna know something even crazier? Laserdisc came before CD.
>>
>>81865082
no, LaserDisc video is basically DVD-resolution, only analog instead of digital. It does have its own look to it imho because the video doesn't have that blocky, sharpened look of DVD encoding, it doesn't look better though- just different

the audio is digital tho
>>
File: segacd3.jpg (34KB, 763x367px) Image search: [Google]
segacd3.jpg
34KB, 763x367px
The video store I'd go to as a kid had a section and a player hooked up playing random movies to show its quality...thats about the extent of my experience.

My parents never bought one nor any of my friend's parents...nor did greater society I suspect

I had a Sega CD though, that was like the laserdisc of vidya games. Sewer Shark fuck yeah!
>>
File: Dragon_2[1].jpg (75KB, 600x308px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon_2[1].jpg
75KB, 600x308px
>>81865297
Yeah I just read the wikipedia. Invented 1958 available 1978.

My opinion after reading about them is this is the only thing that they did that mattered. There was nothing else like it in the arcade at the time.
>>
>>81865332
>Removing Night Trap from your SegaCD, ever
What is your major malfunction?
>>
>>81865387
>that cartoon which featured multiple endings every episode
>>
>>81865104
Laserdiscs were as big as 12 inch vinyl...
>>
>>81865478
Yeah it's basically a choose your own adventure book in cartoon format. It's not a good game, just a neat technology compared to the other stuff at the arcade back then.
>>
>>81864531
Any good player made past the 1980s has automatic flipping dude its just a brief blip on the screen when it switches sides by itself.
>>
>>81865146
That never gets old
>>
File: pioneer dvl91.jpg (67KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
pioneer dvl91.jpg
67KB, 1024x768px
I love LD's. I've bought several cheap players at thrift stores, they're neat machines. Gotta go Pioneer. Got a ton of movies. There's also Laser-Karaoke...

Fun format, can get expensive real quick though.
>>
>>81863875
I find them a lot in tiny indie record shops
>>
File: laserturtle.jpg (280KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
laserturtle.jpg
280KB, 720x480px
>when the disc has a blank side
>>
>>81865387
I encountered the game a few times in my youth and always wasted money on it. Eventually, I grew to hate it and hate Don Bluth for allowing it to be made.

A coin-based adventure game is a pure money trap. The game isn't even fun or satisfying in any way.

Fuck, I'm legit angry right now just remembering it.
>>
File: blhnH.jpg (80KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
blhnH.jpg
80KB, 500x313px
>>81866524
>>
I bought a few films I like on Laser Disc because I wanted to have them on various formats, but I don't have a player for them.
>>
>>81866714
HA. I need to get a copy of that.
>>
>>81864847
Underrated
>>
Went to a Savers and saw a bunch of Laser Discs I only bought Jingle All The Way for myself and George of the Jungle for my girl at the time, I also remember they had Tim Burton's Batman and The Godfather
>>
>>81864924
>they're apparently pretty delicate and hard to maintain.
Disks sag the further out you get from the center which makes it a bitch to adjust the laser to read properly. That on top of being analog which is susceptible to noise makes them a nightmare to upkeep.
>>
>>81864800

I have that same VHS collection unopened.

Last I heard the laserdics are worth way, way more.
>>
I own one and a couple discs. I bought Little Nemo on laserdisc because it was cheaper than the DVD for some fucking reason.
>>
>>81867576
And disc rot.
>>
>>81869692
Doesn't exist.

It's a "phenomenon" which only happens when collectors don't take proper care of their discs.
>>
File: 133251196282.png (32KB, 514x352px) Image search: [Google]
133251196282.png
32KB, 514x352px
>>81869795
>It doesn't exist except when it does.
>>
I've got a CED player that kind of works. Watched the first half of Magnum Force on it.
>>
I'm old as fuck, so I remember when they came out. You can't understand what a revelation it was to be able to skip to any part of a movie without having to fast forward for like 50 years.

I don't remember it getting big until like 1989/1990. There were barely any movies out in the early days, and it seemed like every electronics store trying to show off their wares just ran Top Gun on a loop.

I never actually knew anyone that had a laserdisc player, though. Only place I ever saw them in was my high school classrooms, and that was well after laserdiscs fell out of fashion.
>>
>>81865115
Tbh I would buy couple of film reels just to display them
>>
>>81863875
They didn't have compression artifacts like dvds and blu-rays. Also, too me anyway, they sound better than dvds or blu-rays.
>>
>>81870647
They're objectively worse than Blu-rays in every way. How do people not understand this?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.