[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's actually gone to film school and worked on productions?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

File: 1 618IPTb__qlSks0riBWE0Q.jpg (70KB, 800x487px) Image search: [Google]
1 618IPTb__qlSks0riBWE0Q.jpg
70KB, 800x487px
I graduated with a writing credit from a well-known Australian screenwriter who use to work for MTV in the 90s, and got a distinction in Production.

>Went out on my own, pitched a story - a social drama.
>An updated Mean Streets set in Sydney with influences from This is England.
>Unfortunately, Producer never saw those, didn't know what they were, they were as Sam Hyde says, "time wasters", then I found out - >Producer replaced me with his own friends. They were literally grabbing my work from under me but the Producer was too stupid to do a social drama story because he only does D-grade straight to DVD horror films.
>Film fell through because they didn't know how to do a social drama
>>
>Then a friend from film school (WHO FAILED)
>Did a short film
>No script supivisor
>Not shotlist
>Just a bunch of scene
>Six hour audio file
>Told me to cut it

When I said, if I did - it would look like shit because I need a supervisor, told me bullshit and to man the fuck up and do it
>Fucked it off because they were using me to do it for free

DO NOT WORK FOR LOW TIER SHIT-GRADE PRODUCTIONS. YOU WON'T GET PAID. THEY WILL TALK SHIT CONSTANTLY TO YOU AND BEHIND YOUR BACK AND BASICALLY ASK FOR MONEY (TO FUND THEIR OWN SHITTY FILMS)

It's like a shark tank full of stupid sharks, I'm literally the baddest but kindest shark in the tank but I think this shark has to rise to the top and put out something amazing and fuck them off.
>>
Film school drop out here. I've worked as a PA on many shows here in Vancouver, and have a small role in an Anthony Hopkins film that got me into ACTRA.
>>
>Who's actually gone to film school and worked on productions?

You're in the wrong place, senpai. Nobody here but NEETs and kiddos
>>
Went to film school for 3 days and dropped out to go back to my old college and get my English degree.

Worked on productions, you meet alot of shitty people, but it's the real friends you make that are what make filmmaking great.

Currently writing a script for Sundance Screenwriting Lab, getting mentored and notes by a filmmaker from Far East, done some good work.
>>
Easiest way to make it big these days is to make a decent low-budget horror movie that makes 50 times its budget or at the very least gets enough traction online to make your name stand out to big studios.

all you need to make a decent low budget horror movie is

- a script that's not total shit
- a couple of actors/actresses that are not embarassingly bad
- a good lighting guy
- passable practical effects
- at least one moment in the whole thing that can be made into a gif and memed around the internet

that's basically it
>>
Graduated film school ended up getting a ubion gig doing episodic tv on electric side which I worked for about 5 years or so. I was super excited to be on set, making good money right out of school, but set life is a grind and wasn't the hands on creative experience I was looking for at that time. Also the job can be extremely draining physically and mentally and the insanely long hours kill your social life and strained my relationship with my gf at the time.

Through random gigs, I knew a few people in sports tv, and seeking something different and more creative, I got into that, despite not really liking sports. I have worked my way from an operator shooting basically any professional sport I could (usually on the live truck side) to being a DP for long and short form shows in the sports realm in the span of about 7 years.

From my film school class(large public university with a good but not well known program), it seems about a 50/50 split of people working in the industry vs not.
>>
>>81759710

Well, I'm a screenwriter, let's do it. I'm just tired of idiots wasting time.
>>
>>81759788
Op here. I forgot to say I'll try and answer any questions you guys may have about working/getting in the industry. Long and short, if your goal is to make your own films, get a job that pays decent and has normal 9-5 m-f and 6 weeks vacation. You'll have much better odds of making your film exactly how you want and still have fun.
>>
My friend graduated with a Bachlors in film from a University here. He works on some shit indie movie called The Lens, I was an extra in it.

He's a manager at a movie theater now, just like he was before he went and finished up school.

He has no current plans to get into the industry, as he just plays Counter Strike in his spare time.
>>
have had an internship at funimation and i graduate with my degree in film in a few weeks
>>
>>81760063
what happened? he tried it and didnt like it?
>>
>>81759710
Every one of those things is difficult to do.
>>
>>81760182
Lazy. Lack of motivation. Drinks a lot, plays CS a lot. Plus he really started to hate all of the hipster faggotry he was exposed to when he was in film school, I think he might have given up. I know he said he regrets going to University for it.
>>
>>81760182

It takes a lot out of you then when they don't sell, you are back to square one. The film industry is fucking hard. Only because you need a film that appeals but you also have to deal with a lot of douche bags who you just want to slap when they say Civil War was one of the best films ever.
>>
>>81759710
What's the best way to distribute something like this?
>>
Literally a meme degree.
>>
>>81760063

I'm a Sydney fag like OP.

Went to film school. Have literally done nothing with it at all.

I found out that filmmaking is immensely boring and time consuming.
>>
File: 1489346162456.jpg (55KB, 736x736px) Image search: [Google]
1489346162456.jpg
55KB, 736x736px
I'm doing a film Diploma in melbourne right now.
Holy fuck I can feel the teachers pain at all these students wanting to be the next big art house filmmaker. The only people not doing a pseudo intellectual drama are a Mexican Kid and I.
>>
>>81759105
I spent 4 weeks on the set of that film. AMA
>>
>>81760221
This, if not everybody could make a decent film
>>
I've only worked on productions.
>>
>>81759105
I did. And next semester I'm going to get actors to star in my low budget projects.

Unfortunately, there are A LOT of immature faggots who don't take it seriously and just fuck around.
>>
>>81759710
I would do that if I could actually FIND people to be a part of it, but I can't find anybody.
>>
File: image.jpg (86KB, 640x348px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
86KB, 640x348px
>>81761883
I'm also in melbourne.

I made a dumb as shit movie that was intentionally cheesy as hell and focused entirely on the editing and cinematography being its redeeming features because I knew no matter what I did an attempt at a serious script and acting would never look good.

Also I had a cool practical effect. Pic related.
>>
>>81759532
Very cool. How did you get into the Sundance Screenwriting lab? Isn't that hard to get into?
>>
>>81759947
>work ordinary job not in industry
>make your own film

wut
>>
>>81761883

Horror films are the way to make $ but unfortunately, all these Aus Horror films are basically shit.

I'd go with creating something like Animal Kingdom. Something that's iconic to Australia. Even the real story behind that is a damn horror film.

Australia are known for crime films. They love to glorify criminals.

>My uncle was a Maori gangster in the 80s, I thought it'd be a good story to do since my uncle is my dad's brother and they were like big hitters

>Take notes from Taika also look at quirky, love, rom-coms

>I've got 2 scripts - one about a nephilim, the other about a boyband called 1Door who get the world to do a stupid dance from an ancient cult which summons up a demon the music execs worship, demon basically kills the boyband on stage - anything dark and funny is tip-tops for me
>>
>>81762353
>Be an actor.
>Once in a while book a gig where some older guy who worked all his life in real estate or as an electrician is bankrolling his own film.
>The guy is always anal about everything despite not knowing what the hell he's doing because "muh decades old vision".
>Crew and cast stop giving a fuck and just show up to collect a paycheck because they're tired of his bullshit and they know it is the first and last film he'll ever make
>Movie ends up looking like shit despite the fact that it cost a whole bunch of money
>Never gets distribution because it's worthless shit

Every time
>>
>>81760493
Carrier pigeon
>>
>>81762754

Screenwriter told us that if it doesn't have a good logline it won't sell like

When a criminal called the Joker brings his acts of chaos and terror to Gotham, Batman must stop him before his final act featuring Robin.

^ That'd be good for a Joker-Batfleck film.

It's got to have a point, an antagonist, antagonist's mission, protagonist, who, what, when, how, etc.

If the logline doesn't hit those marks, it won't sell or be watched.
>>
If I had to do one for Star Wars ep 8

Upon meeting Rey, Luke trains her to become greater than him as realizes the hypocrisy of both the Jedi and the Sith as he sees her battle will be the final battle between the light and the darkness, merging a Gray Empirical and Republic Order from the ashes of both forces.
>>
>>81760064
They're the ones doing shitty subs of anime right? Are they also the ones producing on the new FLCL?
>>
>>81759209
> A film degree won't get you into the film industry

Gee who woulda thunk
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.