[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rogue One

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 343
Thread images: 40

Why did everyone hate on this when it came out? I just saw it and I thoroughly enjoyed it. There were few things didn't work, like Tarkin's CGI and the shoe-inned callbacks to the Original Trilogy, but those were few and far between. Everyone complained about the quips but there weren't even that many compared to what Marvel is putting out. Overall I enjoyed the tone of the movie, the action sequences, and way the relationship between the girl and the french dude developed over time, and the movies overall message that even a shitty life full of pain can be turned into something worthwhile through love and fighting for something bigger than yourself.

What does /tv/ think?
>>
fuck off turblopleb
>>
It was shit. Worst than Suicide Squad.
>>
Extremely boring
>>
>>81753777
Shitty characters, bad dialogue. Vader scene was the best part. Luckily I woke up for that.
>>
>>81753777

NO ONE HATED IT
>>
>>81753777
Jealous reyfags
>>
>>81753777
The only two characters I cared about were Galen and Krennic. Jyn was ok though.
>>
>>81753777
People are already fatigued by Disney Wars. I remember the spam and excitement here on /tv/ after the first TFA trailer was released. This new trailer didn't even begin to compare. Their use of voice overs, nostalgia pandering and manipulation of the soundtrack already feels played out. Their schtick is up.
>>
Too dark.

I brought my family to see this and my son ended up crying. This wasn't the Star Wars that I knew and grew up with. I don't understand how you can go from the best Star Wars and family fun that The Force Awakens brought to this.
>>
>>81753864
so just like the original OT

why people hate this again?
>>
Most people on here liked it when it came out. It was only after Red Letter media made a review that people started shitting on it
>>
>>81753777
I literally don't know any of the character's names besides Jyn. Did they ever refer to "The Imperial Pilot" by name?
>>
>main 2 characters die in melencholia esque planet destruction scene
>imperial fleet destroys much of the rebels
>cut to Vader slaughtering the rebels
>cut to shitty cgi Leia
>"what did they give us?"
>"hope"
>abrupt wipe transition to the credits accompanied by the cheerful starwars fanfare
Are you fucking kidding me? The editing and pacing were atrocious in this movie. The end is so awful I burst out laughing, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Also
>this bitch couldn't cry for her life
>she cris more sing his hologram then his dead body
>Forest sounded like a chain smoking Abraham Lincoln
>built up to be an important character and dies like 45 minutes in after having like 3 scenes
>her dad could have just put in that hologram "shoot a torpedo into the exhaust port" instead of his cryptic I designed a weakness bullshit
>all the characters die offscreen
>>
I don't think it's bad, but it's certainly not great. It's the very definition of a 6/10 movie.
>>
Better than the Force Awakens in every way, but that isn't saying much
>>
>>81753777
too many quips
too many characters
>>
>>81753777
I fell aspleep midway. Never happened before. Any how it is still better than TFA. Despite the cringe bunny lead and the quips.

Anyone defending TFA should be skinned alive

Besides, the way Rogue ends is a great thing because it means we wont see those shitty actors ever again. This alone made it 10 times better
>>
>>81754193

Jesus fuck, is she actually the result of a genetic experiment involving rabbits?
>>
>>81753777
>the relationship between the girl and the french dude developed over tim
Come on now.
He was the worst thing of the movie. Other than him it was goay.
>>
>>81753777
It was too bleak and none of the characters were interesting or cool, besides maybe the blind Jedi guy. The action at the end was pretty neat and some of the best out of all the movies, but beyond that there's nothing memorable about the movie, there's nothing that would keep you coming back to it.
>>
>>81754006
I don't really remember the names, but at least he had characterization and an arc - the scared timid guy who was out of his depth who finds courage at the end

>>81754100
Yeah, I agree the ending was jarring. I don't think much would been added by seeing all the characters limbs blow off though.
>>
File: Glitch Pepe.jpg (20KB, 400x372px) Image search: [Google]
Glitch Pepe.jpg
20KB, 400x372px
>>81753777
>the shoe-inned callbacks to the Original Trilogy

are you fucking kidding me its ends literally 5 seconds before ANH
>>
>>81754193
He's a good looking guy.
>>
>>81754727
for a mexican
>>
>>81754698
I don't mean the overall plot of the movie, I mean the cameos that don't really fit in to the tone of the rest of the movie. Like during off the massive D-Day battle sequence when it cuts to R2D2 and C3PO for no reason going "Oh myyyyyyy". I feel like the director didn't want to put that him but the higher ups forced him too. Same with the whole Jimmy Schmidts things.

I feel like a lot of you went in expecting a certain type of movie and a lot of the emotional stuff went over your heads.
>>
>>81754829
They're both British.
>>
>>81753777
>Why did everyone hate on this when it came out?
It was a minuscule group of RLM cultists. Everyone else loved it.
>>
Is it worth the rental fee on my PVR?
>>
>>81753777
even with heaps of fanservice bait and 'safe' plays for disney to hedge their bets (no idea why, this movie would make 500 mil even with horrible press), it was still 10x better than TFA

jewjew is a fucking hack
>>
>>81754864
TFA fanatics seemed to hate it for being too dark, but everyone who had a problem with the work of Jar Jar Abrams at least seemed to agree that even if it wasn't a great movie Rogue One was definitely the better of the two
>>
>>81754858
Diego is a mexican
>>
File: 1253543210700.jpg (36KB, 550x329px) Image search: [Google]
1253543210700.jpg
36KB, 550x329px
The jr high contrarians on /tv/ who hate everything aren't "everyone". They just have no lives, have one track minds and spend all day every day being obsessively butthurt making them seem like they are bigger in numbers than they are.
>>
I think it had the best action of any SW film and the battle on the beach up until the Vader scene was truly glorious. Everything else though was pretty shitty. I'd still rank it as fourth best in the series though.
>>
I don't get the meme about the characters not having personality.
Jyn and Cassian did and their motivations was clear, the others had way less but still had enough.
>>
>>81755082
>I'm dumb
>>
>>81755204
what did he mean by this?
>>
Reminder that the Star Wars aesthetic is to appropriate classic forms.

This is your classic WW2 espionage em up. Even starts off with Danny Mays getting betrayed in Switzerland. Everything else runs as expected with the expected characters.

I guess you either like the genre conventions or you don't. Bit surprised /tv/ doesnt know where to place this though.
>>
Disney movies are suppose to be family movies, not dark, death and despair movies.
>>
File: 1294745781484.jpg (44KB, 394x392px) Image search: [Google]
1294745781484.jpg
44KB, 394x392px
Best action in any Star Wars ever. I hope they make a million more "standalone" Star Wars...with lots of pew pew pew. Disney saves the day again. Give me a mickey mouse hat and a slutty disney princess to jerk off too anyday. Fuck Lucas.
>>
the leia part at the end almost ruined the entire move for me.
>"Hope"

F U C K O F F
>>
>>81755319
Could explain why I liked the movie as I'm a big fan of those WW2 espionage movies like Where Eagles Dare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OpMRRgTseI
>>
>>81753777
>everyone

4chan doesn't work like this
>>
File: 1479405552387.png (870KB, 1559x694px) Image search: [Google]
1479405552387.png
870KB, 1559x694px
>>81755463
>F U C K O F F
It's literally a prequel to the first stars wars movie...called...

A..New...HOPE
>>
>>81755550
Sammy literally asked for a purple grape drink lightsabre. What did he mean by this?
>>
File: WheelOfFortune.jpg (161KB, 840x473px) Image search: [Google]
WheelOfFortune.jpg
161KB, 840x473px
>>81755550 (You)
>Things That Went Over Generation Autismo's Heads for 5000... Alex
>>
File: IMG_4217.jpg (65KB, 750x997px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4217.jpg
65KB, 750x997px
>>81753936
You must have high estrogen and I bet your wanker of a son would end up gay in future. Toughen up lad ya cheeky bastard
>>
>>81755550
i dont care. it was hamfisted trash for nostalgia nerds. i am glad carrie is dead.
>>
>>81755622
he has patrician taste in saber color
>>
i watched this back to back with The Force Awakens last night and it just put into context how depressing the entire series is. Filmmaking quality set aside, the entire saga is a series of horrifying, tragic, demoralizing defeats and massacres, with small punctuations of fleeting joy and naiveté, followed by decades of more destruction and defeat.

this all started with ESB, i guess. the need to make sequels and prequels and continue the drama just makes the scale of the victories in any of the film so insignificant.

SW universe is a fucking waste.
>>
File: 1462524420192.jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1462524420192.jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
>>81753777
>galaxy of trillions of sentient creatures
>they run into two of the same random pieces of shit that Luke runs into in a backwater cantina like 3 days later
What was the point of this?
>>
>>81753936
Rated PG-13. Like Revenge of the Sith. The OT are PG, which also have heads and arms being chopped off!

The relationships in Rogue One are sadder. I think they wanted to play up how evil the Empire was....but then they added Vader kicking ass and it was silly. The visuals and side characters kind of save this one, and I do think it was better than TFA.
>>
>>81755832
You're obviously a total loser and completely irrelevant.
>>
File: 1376031847499.jpg (22KB, 651x719px) Image search: [Google]
1376031847499.jpg
22KB, 651x719px
>>81755832
>hamfisted trash for nostalgia nerds
Almost like its a prequel...a movie whose entire purpose is to feed nostaliga...a movie you chose to watch for that very purpose. Don't be mad at carry fisher's cgi chost and try to project your embarrassment from having such a painfully obvious line and reference in the movie go over your head.
>>
>>81755919
At least it's still better than the Starkiller death ray being visible across the galaxy
>>
A million times better than TFA. It actually felt like a Star Wars movie, No Mary Sue main character. Loved the idea of a guy who would basically be a Jedi if the Jedi were around. The very limited use of a lightsaber made the one scene amazing. Not ESB or ANH level but maybe ROTJ level. Though I'm possibly being to generous by comparing it to the pos that was TFA.
>>
File: 1469598448026.jpg (291KB, 1409x1598px) Image search: [Google]
1469598448026.jpg
291KB, 1409x1598px
>>81756134
TFA is fucking trash, and I wasn't implying otherwise. As soon as I heard their nonsensical excuse for why the Republic was somehow still the rebellion against an empire they had defeat decades before I just checked out. Movie was fucking terrible.

This still doesn't excuse Rogue One's unneeded pandering with these two bit characters showing up when it doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>81755919
The point is for normal well adjusted people who are fans of the original movies to have a momentary homage as speckled throughout such movies and for people with social disorders like yourself to get triggered into displays such as your post wherein you try to act above it all thinking it will impress people but really just reaffirms you belong as a social outcast.
>>
>>81756200
>the idea of a guy who would basically be a Jedi if the Jedi were around
I didn't get the implication that he was force sensitive. He was more than old enough to have been trained by the Jedi when they were still around. He just wasn't force sensitive. He just believed in the force.
>>
>>81753864

>Vader scene was the best part.

The worst part of the entire franchise.
>>
>>81753777
Because they turns Star Wars into a war movie
>>
>>81753777
People liked it, /tv/ just gets off on being contrarian
>>
File: 1466758156427.jpg (10KB, 238x212px) Image search: [Google]
1466758156427.jpg
10KB, 238x212px
>>81756248
>ad hominems instead of actual arguments
kys
>>
>>81753777
It's shoo-in, not shoe in. You're thinking of shoehorning anyway. A shoo-in means a dead cert.
>>
>>81753931
t. Assblasted Trekkie
>>
Honestly i liked it better than The Force Awakens

Characters were better in Rogue One despite all the complaints about them being shallow. Not saying they arent shallow, but its fucking ridiculous to claim that the characters in The Force Awakens arent either. Kylo Ren being the only exception. Kylo is better than any Rogue One character but other than him Rogue One cast stomps TFA. Even Han Solo was shit in TFA.

Action scenes were way better in Rogue One and its not even fucking close. The lightsaber fight between Kylo and Rey was alright and the TRAITOR scene was cool too, but the whole Scarif battle was just amazing.

Rogue One wasnt exactly original, but at least it wasnt a bland reskinned version of another star wars movie. MUH BEACH PLANET isnt that original either but again it beats a shitty rehash of other planets. Jedda was a more interesting location than anywhere visited in TFA.
CGI Tarkin was a weird choice and the quips were fucking annoying (especially Vaders) but overall much better than TFA

5>4>6=3>RO>TFA>1>2>
>>
>>81756208
Just putting things into perspective, having every person in the cantina scene in A New Hope infiltrating every story was what the EU did wrong as well, it's nostalgia bait, but it's so short you can ignore it

In TFA Jar Jar Abrams basically shatters the suspension of disbelief so hard it makes you feel uneasy in your stomach
>>
>>81756308
>autism splerg
>why how come random old movie reference in new movie how come things happen, how come stuff this that wa
That was an actual "argument", as if someone needs to 'argue' or explain to you as if you're a mentally handicapped child the concept or point of a easter egg reference of an old movie in a new movie. Baby's first time at the movies.
>>
>>81753777

I also enjoyed it

I liked the cameo of kyle katarn and jan ors
>>
>>81753936

>it's dark only when the rebels die
>it's dark only when the music is

Fucking fag genetics
>>
File: Confused james.png (946KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Confused james.png
946KB, 960x540px
>>81753777
Didn't /tv/ like this when it first came out?
>>
>>81756389

kylo ren is trash. finn is good.
>>
>>81753936
you think a bunch of underdogs dying for something larger than themselves and overall inspiring hope for desperate cause is darker than a son murdering his own father while he coldly stares into his eyes and throws his body into a chasm?
>>
>>81754837
>Same with the whole Jimmy Schmidts things.
At least that made sense to the character, he was a supporter of the rebellion. And at least it wasnt CGI Jimmy Smits.
Leia being on the ship inside the other ship was kind of stupid. Also wonder how the fuck she tries to sell the "diplomatic mission from alderaan" if they were chased from a rebel assault in ANH.

It felt like a story from the old EU. If they would have changed the setting and a few minor details it would have been a better episode 7 than TFA.
>>
>>81753777

I didn't like it. The trailer made me way too hype for it and the movie disappointed. The CGI was noticeable, the plot was all over the place, and there were a lot of pointless scenes. It wasn't a bad movie and it did some good things like explaining why the Death Star would have such an obvious weakness, but all of that could have just been done in a book.

I expected more or less the Empire fucking shit up and that didn't happen.
>>
File: 1464922092294.jpg (48KB, 253x229px) Image search: [Google]
1464922092294.jpg
48KB, 253x229px
>>81756518
>sperg
>baby
>continuing the ad hominem
Also, the MC interacting with someone isn't an easter egg.
>>
>>81756694
>bred from birth to be a stormtrooper and fight for the first order
>is somehow completely unaffected by this brainwashing and is pure hearted and noble
>literally no conflict in him as he kills people he likely grew up and trained with all his life
>even though at the start of the movie he hated killing and left the First Order because he didnt want to kill
>cries out in anger when Han Solo dies even though he knew him for like two days max
>almost for the entire movie he is just shouting about Rey

Great "character" youve got there
>>
>>81756389
>Kylo
>good character

it's one dimensional as fuck and totally out of place
>>
>>81756134
Why did you have to remind my autism of that sequence?

All it makes me want to do is kidnap JJ Abrams, lock him up in my basement, and force him to watch, A Clockwork Orange-style, the worst, least-consistent parts of TFA over and over again while I cut off his fingers and toes knuckle by knuckle.
>>
>>81756261
>He just wasn't force sensitive.
Blind nigger samurai wasn't force sensitive? Please son. He even talks about sensing the force flowing darkly in cassian, and one shots a TIE with his bo-staff caster.
The implication was that he was a jedi that survived the purge because he played the part of a blind beggar. Just like zaitoichi.
A cross between the more sagelike obi wan and yoda in the OT and the backflipping ninja jedi in the prequels.
>>
>>81756742
>a son murdering his own father while he coldly stares into his eyes and throws his body into a chasm?
Wut
>>
>>81757074
Did you just not fucking watch The Force Awakens?
>>
>>81756773
>The trailer made me way too hype for it
This is why you ignore stupid marketing blitzes. All you're doing is setting yourself up for unrealistic expectations.
t. Grandpa who was a teenager when the prequels came out
>>
>>81756939
Hey im not saying he is a masterpiece of character writing but he stands up better than all the other nu star wars characters.
>>
>>81756773
>The trailer made me way too hype for it

Thats because that first trailer is for a completely different movie. It was cut before the kikesecutives from Disney demanded reshoots because it was "too dark" AKA couldn't sell toys.

I was super hype off that initial trailer as well. Its a damn shame it got meddled with. Might have ended up quite good and proved you can do something dark with the property.

Rogue One as released is completely forgettable.
>>
>>81756270
Bad taste. Rebel soldiers acted well and the camera shots were great. Brainlet.
>>
>>81757123
Totaly wiped it from my memory desu. I thought you were talking retarded about RotJ.
I guess I'm the asshole.
>>
>>81757207
nah lad
But the Han Solo death scene and now that i think of it, the entire republic system being incinerated, is way darker than anything in Rogue One
TFA was such a goddamn mess
>>
File: 1463454767944.jpg (28KB, 604x416px) Image search: [Google]
1463454767944.jpg
28KB, 604x416px
>>81757018
When did Jedi ever need to do mantras and shit to do Force things? He was just a monk in some kind of Force inspired religion.
>>
>>81755768
How does 4Chan let people get away with saying these things? That's extremely offensive to myself and my family. We wanted to enjoy a nice night out seeing Star Wars and what we got in return was heartbreak.

We deserve better than this Disney.
>>
>>81753777
It was good, but anything that says "Star Wars" will be hated from now on. The same people who cry about muh female lead didn't have a problem with Princess Leia strangling a 2000lb mob boss with her skinny little arms.

The original trilogy was pretty good.

The prequels were also pretty good.

JewJew Abrams' films will all be shit

I wanted to hate Rogue One but it was excellent.
>>
>>81757484
>the prequels were also pretty good
you mean Revenge of the Sith was pretty good
>>
>>81757018
I just assumed he was more force sensitive than a normal person but not enough to be a jedi so instead he was a guard on that temple in the city
>>
The whole first hour of the movie mainly the Saw Gerrera plotline was pointless and should have been cut.
>>
File: 1475255500253.jpg (154KB, 1400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475255500253.jpg
154KB, 1400x800px
Objectively the best Star Wars movie ever made.
>>
>>81757269
>the entire republic system being incinerated, is way darker than anything in Rogue One
The problem is that I don't know what planet got blowed up, so I dont know if I should care.
I dont need to know much. All ANH let us know was that Aldaraan is Leia's homeworld, and that its a pacifist world. Got it. You've established that the empire are unambiguously bad guys, and that they didn't deserve it.
In TFA we get an awful babby hitler speech and then some planet thats coruscant, or not coruscant, or some other dumb shit gets blown up by a SUPER death star the size of a planet that eats suns, which is a more destructive weapon than blowing up 5 planets.
JJ is just a shitty director than cant establish anything in his movies properly and doesn't know how scale works.
>>
>>81757644
Or give him some kind of payoff. PTSD Ghost dog deserves better.
>>
>>81757739
>JJ is just a shitty director
why the fuck does nobody else realize this
>>
>>81757617
They call them the keeper of the whills which is a callback to the earliest drafts of star wars when it was called saga of the whills.
Then I think it was retconed in early EU as the name of yoda's race. I mean early eu, like sheevs bastard son triclopse EU.
There are more schools of force users than the Jedi and the Sith.
>>
>>81757777

Yeah if he actually went with the group instead of staying to die for no reason it would have worked. But with the way his storyline ended they should have just had a different plotline for the start of the movie.
>>
>>81757948
Maybe got lost in the reshoots.
And I love Whittaker, but it seems like every role hes in now he puts on some goofy accent or does a weird voice. Whats up with that.
>>
File: leg_rogue.jpg (362KB, 1920x794px) Image search: [Google]
leg_rogue.jpg
362KB, 1920x794px
>>81757948
>staying to die for no reason
>this meme again
Gee whilikers gramps. Run we need to make it to the ship!
>>
>>81758230

That doesnt make the plotline any less retarded.
>>
>>81758444
Checked.
>>
File: 1481334985519.png (2MB, 991x1426px) Image search: [Google]
1481334985519.png
2MB, 991x1426px
>>81753936
>>
>>81756907

bad meme. finn isn't seen or heard screaming about Han Solo. autists identify with other autists, so Rylo Ken being a coherent character to you makes sense
>>
>doesn't force romance into it
>doesn't force a happy ending
I really liked it. It's the best Star Wars in my honest opinion.
>>
>>81756200
>>81757271
>>81757908
>>81757617
Chirrut was a Teras Kasi master.
>>
File: vlcsnap-5397-08-03-19h30m56s461.png (375KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-5397-08-03-19h30m56s461.png
375KB, 853x480px
Jyn a cute.
>>
No one ever talks about that weird squid scene? What the fuck was the point of that scene?
>>
>>81753777
Every time I decide I'm going to give this movie a chance, I see that stupid cunt's face. Watery eyes, pale skin, that confused look young retarded "actors" have when they try to look "deep", pouty lips that were obviously around some producer's cock, and this little faggot bitch is supposed to be standing up to Vader?

Fuck off, at least Rey looked like she could go apeshit on you and maybe break a bone, this little cunt couldn't open a jar, but no doubt there are countless poorly choreographed fight scenes where they try and CGI her weak flailing into being a badass.
>>
>>81753864
this. the Donnie the asian monk and Forest the random nigger had literally no impact on the plot yet go so much screen time.
>>
>>81760488

I dont really mind how she looks, But I do think that almost all of the main characters look like they dont belong in a star wars movie.

Also I was hoping with the new star wars movies they would finally portray stormtroopers correctly. They are supposed to be the Elite troops of the empire and their armor is supposed to be able to easily deflect blaster pistol fire and even deflect multiple shots from a blaster rifle. But no StormTroopers are destined to be plebs forever
>>
>>81756134
L E N S E FLAIR
E
N
S
E
F
L
A
I
R
>>
>>81756907
>cries out in anger when Han Solo dies

That was Chewbacca anon, dont be racist
>>
>>81758230
This.

I liked that crooked eyed son of a bitche's performance too.
>>
>>81753777
I unironically enjoyed the shit out of this, I only wish it were longer.
>>
File: 1449801423295.jpg (42KB, 604x604px) Image search: [Google]
1449801423295.jpg
42KB, 604x604px
>>81761073
>I only wish it were longer.
It had enough filler as it was. If it was more Imperial shit, and less Rebels running around to planets that I can't recall I'd agree with you. I still can't figure out what peg leg's role in the movie was supposed to be.
>>
>>81753777
It was good but with some really distinct flaws in the pacing and characterisation

It felt like it was originally a great 4 hour long movie but had to be cut down to a awkward 2 hour movie
>>
>>81761601
>>81761073
It felt like there were probably a bunch of scenes in which peg leg raises Jyn and does cool stuff that just got cut for time.
>>
File: 1463452648460.png (575KB, 555x571px) Image search: [Google]
1463452648460.png
575KB, 555x571px
>>81761631
If that's the case I would really like to see the original cut if they ever release that.
>>
There are two aspects that create a good Star Wars movie.
1) It has an immersive science fiction setting that feels lived in.
2) Explosions.

Rogue One does a great job at both.
>>
>>81761601
>can't name all the planets in a Star Wars film

Normie.
>>
>>81754006
Bodhi Rook. Reads it right off his ID.
>>
>>81761655
like a third of the shots in the trailer didn't make it to the actual film, so I would assume so
>>
File: 1460522611197.jpg (289KB, 1388x858px) Image search: [Google]
1460522611197.jpg
289KB, 1388x858px
>>81761663
I honestly can't. I think one of them was Jedha or something. Doesn't this movie take place on like 6 planets? That's too many.
>>
>>81755463
>the scene that killed Carrie Fisher
>>
why do you expect the audience that worships the rotting garbage that is capeshit/star wars to appreciate an above average entry? Retardation goes both ways
>>
>>81753777
people suck too much TFA dick
>>
>>81753895
This is true actually, for a few days /tv/ loved it. But then everybody loved it, so /tv/ had to hate it.
>>
>>81753777
The non-characters, the trendy (i.e. tacky) action film aesthetic, the mediocre direction. It felt like a Michael Bay-directed Halo adaptation, not a Star Wars movie.
>>
>>81757868
Because it's the wrong opinion. The only complaints people are able to articulate when it comes to TFA relates to its writing. The direction of the film outclasses most high budget films made today.
>>
>>81765012
JJ is contemptuous of movies. He leaves so many glaring flaws in his movies and if confronted with it he's just like "lol, it's just a fucking movie, kid".
>>
I still haven't seen it, but the impression I got here was everyone was desperate to say it was better than Ep. 7, until enough time passed where the comparisons stopped, and then started hating on it.
>>
>>81765058
>muh plot inconsistencies
If JJ is contemptuous of film, the CinemaSins-style complaints of his deriders have a deep-seated disdain of the medium
>>
>>81765185
That doesn't follow.
>>
>>81765212
JJ isn't on the spectrum like the youtube essayists who make hour long videos critiquing every minor inconsistency and unexplained detail in his films. He cares about the stuff that actually matters, like the emotions he's able to elicit, and the characters he's able to depict. He's Spielberg, not an autistic lorefag.
>>
>>81765325
>that actually mattes
That you and he conveniently define as whatever JJ happens to think about while filming. Anyone else's idea is stupid and taking movies too seriously, but his ideas are brilliant.

The man is contemptuous of both movies and their audience. He brings everything down to the lowest common denominator. He is not to be respected. God forbid we ever get anyone worse than him.
>>
>>81753895
I did, pointless movie.
>>
just watched it yesterday and it was the most boring sw movie.
>>
>>81753777
It was really boring, sure it's much better than the prequel trilogy and especially Episode VII but... that's not saying much. Donnie Yen was the only great part and he didn't have that much screen time...
>>
>>81765405
>lowest common denominator
TFA is an infinitely more intelligent and subtle film than Rogue One.
>>
>>81765613
Mostly because it had no characters. TFA had Kylo and Han, and the prequels have Obi Wan and Senate. Rogue One has one of the least memorable casts of characters in modern film history.
>>
>>81755319
this. I get why people wouldn't like the movie but I don't get why people would complain about the shallow characters and choppy intro unless they expect every single Star Wars movie to work off the OT dynamic.
>>
>>81760379
it's legitimately when I realized this movie was kino
>>
>>81765621
You actually made me laugh. I'd be very entertained if you argued your claim.
>>
I was bored. Cant recall a single person's name after watching it. Only interesting character was ip-man but he only fought one time.

If this didnt have the starwars name on it nobody wouldve given a single fuck about it, not to mention it decided to just go full fanservice at the end of the movie for no god damn reason.

Its just a shit movie. It looked nice i guess.
>>
>>81766331
Saw this movie once in theaters when it came out. I remember every character's name. It's time to admit that maybe you're just retarded.
>>
>>81766363
I loved the move and I couldn't recall anyone's name. But then again I'm really really bad with names.
>>
>>81766520
I don't even think it's a valid criticism, honestly. It's a war movie in space. I can tell you right now I can't remember the vast majority of character names from, say, Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line. I don't really consider that a con.
>>
>>81766556
Me neither.
>>
>>81766267
I will argue my claim. The scene where Rey stopped cleaning the part she salvaged in order to watch a ship leave Jakku mirrors the binary sunset scene in A New Hope with its ability to articulate the lead character's ambition and loneliness. It artfully reveals character and does it without any dialogue whatsoever. There's nothing like that in Rogue One.
>>
I'm watching Rogue One for the second time in as many days and may watch it again in a day or two. I haven't had a Star Wars movie I could watch endlessly since I got the remastered original movies on VHS.
>>
>>81766588
you mean like that scene where luke stared at the twin suns in ep IV?

it's still rehash
>>
>>81766619
>an homage is okay when Lucas does it, but is a rehash when JJ does it
>>
>>81766645
it's less ok when the whole movie is a rehash
>>
>>81766588
Yes, I am painfully aware that JJ nearly ripped off ANH nearly scene for scene. You drawing parallels doesn't help your case.
>>
>>81766363
Bet you also remember every planet, gun, spaceship and robot you fucking turbo nerd.
Outside at six o'clock sharp. I'll kick your nerd ass back to your Star Wars basement.
>>
>>81766732
Not too rough daddy.
>>
>>81766746
Why'd you gotta go and make some wholesome bullying weird?
>>
>>81766676
The movie uses evocative imagery to articulate a character's motivation. Even if it was inspired by ANH, it at least understands what makes Star Wars, and film as a whole, so interesting. At least it wasn't a vulgar sub-Michael Bay action movie.
>>
>>81766746
Just get a job and you can have whichever Star Wars crap you want, son.
>>
>>81753895
>>81764835
>>81754864
>>81754921
>>81755082
>>81755319
>>81756389

These are all true
>>
>>81766787
There are two things that make a Star Wars movie, an engrossing science fiction setting that feels lived in and explosions. Add space battles to Blade Runner and it would have been a top notch Star Wars film. Everything else is just icing for the cake.

And so far you have referenced a single scene liften largely liften from ANH. I can reference scenes taht served a purpose in RO too, like where Cassian incidentally kills his informant despite being "the good guy" in order to establish who he is as a member of the Alliance while simultaneously moving the plot along.

This is just cinema 101. It's nothing to write home about.
>>
>>81753936
this has to be a troll post right
>>
>>81766934
*lifted

I'm tired.
>>
>>81766934
Good job betraying the fact that you know absolutely nothing about Star Wars. It's a series about a wizard who hands over a magic sword to a young hero so that he can save the princess. Star Wars isn't science fiction, it's fantasy. It has much more in common with Lord of the Rings than it does with Blade Runner.

>like where Cassian incidentally kills his informant despite being "the good guy" in order to establish who he is as a member of the Alliance while simultaneously moving the plot along.
This isn't implied or suggested, this is literally just a plot occurrence. There's a huge aesthetic difference between suggesting something subtlety through the visual language of cinema, and something just happening to move the plot along.
>>
>>81753777
if you think the callbacks to the OT were few and far between, you literally haven't seen either rogue one or the OT
>>
>>81755463
>>81755832

Hope was the theme of the movie, retard.
>>
>>81767122
*tips blast shield*

Dude, you sound like a turbo nerd sperging. Don't give me your semantical bullshit that you and your nerd buddies invented. Science fiction and fantasy are the same damn thing for a reason. Just because Star Wars walks the line more than most doesn't mean you can flip flop between the terms just to claim "internet victory" when possible.

So again, you have nothing but one scene that was lifted from ANH and isn't even that impressive. It's just moving characters along with happenings and their reactions to it.

And lets not forget we are both still ignoring the glaring holes in TFA just for the sake of your argument, holes that don't exist in RO.
>>
File: star-destroyer.jpg (45KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
star-destroyer.jpg
45KB, 600x300px
>>81767284
It's not an arbitrary distinction. The setting of science fiction is a technologically advanced society where everything can be justified scientifically. Fantasy, on the other hand, has literal magic. The force isn't some technological feat, it's a fucking magical domain that people tap into. This isn't a small difference; the bases the stories are built off of are completely different.

>So again, you have nothing but one scene that was lifted from ANH and isn't even that impressive.

It's not just one moment. TFA uses visual language constantly, like shooting Kylo at low angles to imply dominance. Or creating interesting mise-en-scenes like pic related, which simultaneously shows the passage of time since the OT while explaining what Rey does without uttering a single word. It's just a much better directed film.
>>
>>81756389
>5>4>6=3
Safe to disregard your opinion forever.
>>
>>81767514
Not him but Science Fantasy has been around since the old 40's/50's serials that George grew up on that inspired Star Wars.

There are varying degrees of Sci-fi and varying degrees of fantasy, sometimes both overlapping.
>>
>>81767594
This. Truth is 4 >>>>>>>>>>> 7 = 5 > 6 > the rest
>>
>>81767722
The sci-fi domain that Blade Runner exists in, which is what he compared Star Wars to, isn't anywhere near the middle of that sci-fi/fantasy venn diagram you're talking about. I don't think the original Star Wars films are either; I think that only when you include the extended universe where every technological detail is explained does it move closer to sci-fi.
>>
>>81767724
>7 on the same level as Empire

Wew lad.
>>
>>81767917
Empire is flawed. It has some of the best scenes of the OT, but C3PO is almost Jar Jar levels of obnoxious, and the Exogorth stuff doesn't hold up.
>>
>>81767514
It's super arbitrary and you trying to use semantics to claim "internet victory" is super cringey and an insult to both of us.

And against my better judgement of not wanting to even humor your argument to the contrary, the force is far from eception within science fiction. Psychic powers are fucking everywhere in science fiction to my chagrin. Furthermore, MIDICHLORIANS, not magic

And that isn't an interesting arrangement of anything. That's just a crashed spaceship..

And off the top of my head most camera angles of Kylo Ren are on the same level as the rest of the characters. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

You are just refrencing the most mundane stuff. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that you are giving multiple examples of competency on JJ's part, but nothing stands out from simple competent movie making let alone covers up JJ's blunders.

Worlds are kept distinct in Rogue One through weather patterns: fog, arid, rain, humid archipelago. You don't even need the prompts to tell which planet the shot is taking place on. The giant fallen Jedi statue is a segue from the fall of the Jedi in the preceding film plays into the plot points of why the Empire is on the world and why there are Force priests there before it more explicitly stated just so the audience can keep up without effort.

Now lets go into just a few of the glaring flaws in JJ's work. Phasma is build up as menacing the entire movie and then is thrown away for a gag and she drops the shields of the station and dooms many thousands of her brothers and sisters for no good reason. The Star Killer base can apparently shoot across the galaxy instead of traveling to its target (despite the beam moving very slowly by any measure) and yet that contradicts the fact that it uses up a star every time it fires and thus couldn't fire more than once if it couldn't travel. JJ used the dimming of a star as a countdown but in so doing ignored the scale of stars. etc.
>>
>>81768003
The star scale point is an example of JJ refusing to even google anything for his movies. He just latches on to the first idea that pops into his head and forgives the flaws in his plan as "lol, it's just a fucking movie". Hell, they could have had Starkiller simply suck the energy from the outer layer of the star, both serving the cinematic purposes and explaining why Starkiller didn't have to move, but no, that's taking movies too seriously.

They could see the Republic planet and moons blow up despite being on a different fucking planet and should really have been in a different star system because Han going to the planet closest tot he Republic is coincidental to the extreme.

Rogue One has none of this bullshit.
>>
File: 1390506963945.gif (781KB, 300x274px) Image search: [Google]
1390506963945.gif
781KB, 300x274px
>>81755919
If you watch the film again you may catch a subplot involving an all-encompassing pseudo-sentient "force" that influences all of reality and may occasionally nudge people towards a particular event or moment, similar to destiny.

Watch closely so you don't miss it.
>>
Besides the chick (who I literally can't name right now) give the names of three new original characters without using google

I'll wait.
>>
>>81755919
Yeah, they are easter eggs. That is the last thing you should be bitching about. You want a coincidence, how about Han's safehouse is apparently impossibly close to the home of the New Republic and he is there just as the New Republic is destroyed.
>>
File: qMKnDYo.jpg (102KB, 1920x802px) Image search: [Google]
qMKnDYo.jpg
102KB, 1920x802px
>>81768003
Semantics weren't my concern. The label you apply to Star War isn't the issue, the issue was that you compared it to Blade Runner, which is tonally very different from Star Wars. A science fiction film that borrows heavily from film noir can't really be compared to a fantasy film that borrows from Japanese samurai movies and WWII films. They're very different, and not being able to recognize that difference suggests that you don't understand Star Wars.

>And off the top of my head most camera angles of Kylo Ren are on the same level as the rest of the characters. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

There are multiple shots where he is filmed at a low angle which implies dominance, at a dutch angle which suggests someone who's off kilter and uneasy, or on a different horizontal plane than everyone else (like pic related). The scene after he interrogates Rey he's shot at such a low angle that it's almost like the camera is pointing straight up from the floor.

>Phasma is build up as menacing the entire movie and then is thrown away for a gag and she drops the shields of the station and dooms many thousands of her brothers and sisters for no good reason. The Star Killer base can apparently shoot across the galaxy instead of traveling to its target (despite the beam moving very slowly by any measure) and yet that contradicts the fact that it uses up a star every time it fires and thus couldn't fire more than once if it couldn't travel. JJ used the dimming of a star as a countdown but in so doing ignored the scale of stars. etc.

The Phasma issue is a genuine character complaint which I happen to agree with. The other two issues are issues with the logical consistency of the world the film takes place in, which to me are just CinemaSins-style nitpicks. I can't bring myself to give a fuck about the physics of a fantasy universe that doesn't even exist. Character and emotion are what matter in film, not logical consistency.
>>
>people will always compare it with TFA to make it look good
nah, this movie itself was disappointing to be honest. First hour felt like a generic action movie that take places in Star Wars universe, every characters were all uninteresting and lacked of personality, even the chemistry between the characters weren't there. They were all walking piece of cardboard that spilling cliche dialogue and exposition here and there, pretty forgettable. And ironically, the character with the most personality was the robot. Everyone in here looked bored, there's no sense of excitement or energy just like TFA.

The visual direction and the concept was the only redeeming part from this movie, shame that the execution was lacking
>>
File: 1460942682097.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1460942682097.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>81753777
Uh because the movie is objectively terrible. No memorable characters. Boring A to B plot. Also blind force man was a pretty blatant stereotype, it just doesn't fit in Star Wars, maybe a Kung Fu movie.
>>
>>81768112
Starkiller base not only turns the film into a literal star war, it uses the "light" as a means of destruction, and the extinguishing of that light serves a purpose in the scene where Kylo kills Han. More visual metaphors. Caring about the physics of the base is autistic as fuck, especially in a universe where gravity and oxygen don't seem to be concerns.
>>
>>81753777
I watched Rogue One, didn't really like it but wasn't sure why. Then I saw this epic deconstruction of the film (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsDtND60qB8&ab_channel=E%3BR) and it came to me.
>>
I loved how every single device and machine in this movie could be activated by pulling on a lever
>>
>>81768566
That's not intended at all and doesn't cover up how objectively shit JJ is as I already argued. JJ used Starkiller because it's just a bigger Death Star. That's all and we all know it. It's not some metaphor for Kylo killing Han. Your other points were fine, but that one is just absurd.

>caring about physics
It's simple scale as well as objective inconsistencies in the plot regardless of physical laws.
>>
>>81755463
This movie killed the theme of A New Hope single-handedly
>>
>>81768644
>It's not some metaphor for Kylo killing Han
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw-PFWJDObI

Explain 2:20. If the dregs of light being sucked out of the sun darkening Kylo's face doesn't mean anything, why would the film cut to it?
>>
File: 14924557557130.jpg (84KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
14924557557130.jpg
84KB, 1280x720px
>>81753815
Yes, but DCEU is way above capeshit (except Fox-Men) and Force Awakens.
>>
>>81753864
>Shitty characters, bad dialogue.
but that's the charm of Star Wars.
>>
My problem was the amount of storm trooper deaths
It was comical and detracted from the movie
Can they make them at least a little competent to create tense?
>>
>>81768711
>dregs of light
W-wha?
>>
It's funny how weak single reactor shots at planets in RO made the Death Star feel more powerful and terrifying than simultaneously obliterating 5 planets made the Star Killer Base feel in TFA.

TFA was garbage. Rogue One was decent.
>>
>>81768711
It's a fucking countdown. The way in which Starkiller blows up planets (the same way the Death Star did it because it's the same fucking film, with a laser beam) has nothing to do with that. It's just a matter of tow coinciding arcs. Furtheermore, absolutely everything thematically and cimeantically relevant to that scene could have been accomplished had JJ fucking googled a single thing before or after putting it into the script.
>>
>why did some people hate it?

They finally woke from the JJ Abraham stupor and realized they needed to win back some internet cred because more and more people are realizing that JJ is a hack and TFA was one of his worst remakes.
>>
>>81766331
Paris?

either that or you're a listener of a particular podcast with the initials RW
>>
>>81769229
The original impetus of Starkiller doesn't matter, what matters is how it was used in the movie. The sucking the light out of the stars thing, which made it distinct from the Death Star, was clearly intended to be a metaphorical draining of the light side by the dark side. Just like Rey's name is a corny reference to "ray of light."
>>
>>81768409
Cassian
Director Krennic
K2-SO

boy that was sure tough. i haven't even seen the movie in months.
>>
>>81769224
Nice how you were able to boil down both films to their ridiculous doomsday devices. Nothing about the characters, tone, plot, etc. Rogue One is better because the planet-killing machine was more menacing.
>>
>>81770175
>Nice how you were able to boil down both films to their ridiculous doomsday devices.
That's not what I did, though. I just mentioned how one of the films did one thing significantly better than the other.
>>
>>81770175
>the characters, tone, plot, etc.
Rogue One sets a much better tone and has a better plot. Much better visual aesthetics too, TFA was like a gay pride parade.

I'll concede that Kylo Ren is more interesting than the Rogue One characters, but that's where it ends. The other characters all suck just as much ass.
>>
>>81770309
Tonally it felt like Halo. It was self-serious sci-fi, not the kid-friendly fantasy of the series up to that point. The plot was already detailed in the opening crawl of A New Hope. And the aesthetic as self-serious as the tone; it was full of tacky close ups and pseudo artsy symmetrical shots. It looked more like a contemporary action film than a Star War film.
>>
>>81768409
Krennic
Galen
I can't think of any more but I do know there's a blind monk, a guy who got tentacle raped, a guy who breathed into a ventilator, someone who tried who was a muh edge tier assassin and some other people. Also Jyn. So technically I got three.
>>
>>81771492
>It was self-serious sci-fi, not the kid-friendly fantasy of the series up to that point.
Yep, it was a refreshing change.
>The plot was already detailed in the opening crawl of A New Hope.
Sure, if by "detailed" you mean an extremely brief synopsis.
>It looked more like a contemporary action film than a Star War film.
All Star Wars films are contemporary action films.
>>
>>81753777

>Forgone conclusion
>Villain is lame as shit
>Poor character development
>CGI reanimating the dead

Just a handful of complaints.

I know RLMfags harped on it not standing on its own but it's an interquel for fuck's sake, and they explain with the Death Star is. Poorly, but they do explain it.

I didn't like it because it wasn't a character driven story like I'm used to with this franchise, hell it's not even good on its own merits as a war movie.
>>
>>81771492
>It looked more like a contemporary action film than a Star War film.
TFA looks more like the modern Star Trek reboot than it did a Star Wars film.

Rogue One felt more like the OT than the prequels did.
>>
>>81768566
>dude just switch your brain off
Pretty apt for the most boring trip on /tv/.
>>
>>81753777
Star Wars 1977 had quips. It pretty much invented the concept.
>>
>>81753950
This. Anyone who says otherwise can check the archives.
>>
>>81774330
What an embarrassing comment. TFA used original lenses and employed editing techniques used in the OT. If you can't acknowledge that it's more aesthetically similar to A New Hope than Rogue One is with its shaky cam close ups, then you have no business talking about movies
>>
>>81775798
>TFA used original lenses and employed editing techniques used in the OT.
Rogue One did this too you fucking dunce. The lens part anyway.
>>
>>81775855
And it still managed to look like 13 Hours. How'd that happen?
>>
>>81775798
he's right, though. clearly you haven't seen the new Star Trek films.
>>81771492
>it was full of tacky close ups and pseudo artsy symmetrical shots
lmfao, yeah and TFA had none of that. fuck off, retard.
>>
>>81775966
It happened because your eye for cinematography isn't actually as keen as you pretend it is.
>>
File: IMG_7451.jpg (43KB, 1254x506px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7451.jpg
43KB, 1254x506px
>>81776043
Imagine JJ shooting something as on-the-nose and tacky as this. The movie's almost embarrassing to look at.
>>
>>81775798
>shaky cam close ups
have you ever seen the JJ Abrams Star Trek films?
>>
File: 1489814921243.jpg (2MB, 864x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1489814921243.jpg
2MB, 864x1280px
ultimate indisputable star wars ranking

4=5>3=6>>RO>1>2>7
>>
File: pepe-the-frog.jpg (33KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
pepe-the-frog.jpg
33KB, 600x600px
>>81753777

>Oh look..It's a/tv/ at first loves R1 but six months later they hate it episode
>>
>>81776517
We're talking about The Force Awakens
>>
>>81776518

I'mOkWithThis.jpg
>>
>>81776518
I agree with this, other than I liked Empire a little bit more than ANH
>>
>>81757196
So many movies that could have been great. Or at least interesting. But no, studio execs want their money.
>>
>>81771492
>>81776557
>pseudo artsy symmetrical shots
>>
>>81776604

Same here. TESB is always #1 for me but won't fault anyone for tying it with ep IV
>>
>>81776557
Then why did you say JJ Abrams would never make a tacky shot?
>>
>>81776638
woops, meant to quote this: >>81776354
>>
>>81776518
7 is better than 1 and 2
>>
people on here loved it and hated TFA. people on here are fucking retarded
>>
it was unnecessary

its not necessary to rape a film into every crevice that the original trilogy opened

if you can't see crass commercialism here, you're not even looking for it
>>
>>81776950
No movies are necessary.

All we need is bread and water.
>>
>>81776638
Here's the difference: that scene occurred last week in North Korea. Militaristic displays like that are a real-world occurrence. That other shot of a synchronized, perfectly spaced out horizontal group of people walking like that for 500 feet after landing far away from their destination for no discernible reason feels much more contrived.
>>
>>81776993
Oh, so your issue is with the realism of the shot.

Would you like me to compile a list of other unrealistic shots in Star Wars?
>>
>>81775798

R1 was a much better looking movie than TFA.
>>
>>81777094
Please go ahead.
>>
We got to see more Rebel fleet troopers and Rebellion ship interiors especially the blockade runner so I'm happy.

last hour of the film redeems the shittier first and second acts
>>
IV > V > RO > VI > TFA > I > III > II
prove me wrong plebs
>>
>>81777094
The opposite of contrived isn't realistic, it's spontaneous. The real problem with that shot is that it feels too self-consciously mannered for Star Wars, which is supposed to be a scrappy adventure film for children. It's an overused critical term, but I think it's a pretentious shot.
>>
TFA had more memorable characters than in R1 but in every other aspect, every single one, down to the smallest detail R1 is superior to TFA and it's not even close.
>>
>>81777219
>>81776993
>Military can be symmetrical in large groups
>Military can't be symmetrical in small groups
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>81753895
I did. Fuck this director.
>>
File: IMG_7454.png (789KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7454.png
789KB, 1334x750px
>>81777103
Want me to explain why this shot shits all over Rogue One again?
>>
>>81777177
I've been obsessed with these brave fucking heroes since I first saw Episode IV so it was a really awesome sight to see them used again in a modern Star Wars film.

And to think, this entire hallway scene was an afterthought and what the last minute reshoots added to the film.
>>
>>81777219
>The opposite of contrived isn't realistic, it's spontaneous. The real problem with that shot is that it feels too self-consciously mannered for Star Wars
Since when have the empire ever been spontaneous? Storm troopers are standing in a line in almost every scene they're involved in outside of combat. In every single Star Wars movie.
>>
>>81777305
>>
>>81777275
>the objective of a military display is identical to the objective of a small group of special forces raiding a single home
Does the US army still fight in columns?
>>
>>81777402
>raiding
>guy literally walks out to meet them
lmao
>>
>>81777507
If special forces comes rolling in brandishing guns and multiple people get shot, it's basically a raid
>>
>>81777300

The first two minutes of R1 with Krennic and his Death Troooers walking across an open field is superior to any long shot in TFA and to say otherwise shows the sheer unbridled magnitude of one's plebness.
>>
>>81753777
It's remarkable when a Franchise is able to mismanage Donnie Yen, Mads Mikkelsen, and Forrest Whitaker while holding a massive budget. How did they do it? How much undermining occurred behind the scenes?
>>
File: death-star-solar-eclipse.jpg (5KB, 1000x419px) Image search: [Google]
death-star-solar-eclipse.jpg
5KB, 1000x419px
>>81769771
>The sucking the light out of the stars thing, which made it distinct from the Death Star, was clearly intended to be a metaphorical draining of the light side by the dark side.
Hmm, that sounds familiar.
>>
>>81777592
It's just a symmetrical shot that doesn't establish both time and location while simultaneously explaining what the protagonist does. That Star Destroyer shot does all of that in seconds, and without a single line of dialogue.
>>
>>81777679
The Force Awakens did it a year earlier, and managed to work it into the scene where Kylo kills Han
>>
The weakest part of the movie were the characters.

Too many characters and they were too bland.

The main chick, was lifeless compared to Daisy Ridley.

Diego Luna's accent was too thick.

Forest Whitaker's character was pointless.

K-2SO was a bit stale.

Everything else was decent. The final battle was great.

Vader's ass-kicking scene was great too.

CGI Tarkin and Leia were just distracting, though.
>>
>>81753777
it was a million, billion, trillion times better than TFA
>>
>>81777723
>The Force Awakens did it a year earlier
And many movies have done similar before TFA did. It's not exactly a clever or unique metaphor.
>>
>>81777687

The fuck dude. Just stop. All of the shit you described can be shown in an episode of the big bang theory. It has jack shit to do with looking good.
>>
I will add that the special effects, the CGI, was better in Rogue One than The Force Awakens.
>>
>>81777723
>sky goes dark
>get it, cuz the dark side
far out, man. what life changing film device will JJ Abrams invent next?
>>
>>81777829
>context doesn't matter when it comes to aesthetics
Biggest prole of the thread. Stop talking about movies
>>
File: Hothslug.jpg (322KB, 1888x800px) Image search: [Google]
Hothslug.jpg
322KB, 1888x800px
>>81777158
Here's one.
>>
>>81777802
>>81777919
Star Wars is a corny space opera for 12 year olds, which is why it gets so embarrassing when Rogue One puts on airs. I was explaining to the person who didn't understand this that the simple visual metaphor was more important than adhering to the real-world physics of a base that large.
>>
>>81776993
What would you have had them do instead? Land within blaster ranger of his house so he can shoot them down and then walk toward it in no formation?
>>
>>81778114
I'm not sure how many 12 year olds you've ever met, but I can promise you that exactly 0 of them give a fuck about metaphors.
>>
Original trilogy > Rogue One > Episode 3 > Episode 2 > Episode 1 > TFA
>>
>>81778114
>Star Wars is a corny space opera for 12 year olds
So a 12 year old should be more qualified to decide whether TFA or RO is the better movie, right?
>>
>>81777275
He doesn't know that small unit movement is often dine at.spaced intervals to prevent the entire squad from being killed by one thermal mine or one sweep of turbo laser. Did this guy even serve in the Imperial Legions or is he just retarded. Just have the unit run across the field with different speed and spacing like a bunch of girls at the shopping mall. That's more realistic to him.
>>
>>81778200
Many visual metaphors aren't meant to be understood consciously. You're not supposed to think "wow, JJ shot Kylo at a Dutch angle in this particular scene, I guess he was trying to impart a sense of unease." If it worked you're just supposed to feel that unease without being taken out of the film.
>>
>>81778546
A horizontal formation would make you more vulnerable to mine fields, not less. If there's a threat that's predicated on being at a particular horizontal plane, then everyone in the group would face the danger at the exact same time. Shit tactics from the Empire
>>
>>81777966

>
>I will try my hardest to make myself seem like the pseudo intellectual fedora tipper that I really am...and I will succeed.

Anon...Anon...please stop. The more you try to argue that TFA was a better looking film than R1.you dig your hole deeper.

With the next reply you might actually see China.
>>
>>81778114
>>81778200
>>81778407
It's funny you guys mention this topic. I've watched the newer Star Wars films with my preteen nephew.

His words when I asked him which he liked more: "Rogue One was sick. Episode 7 was kinda gay."
>>
>>81778690
>Shit tactics from the Empire
It's almost like you've never seen a Star Wars movie.
>>
It wasn't perfect, it wasn't even as good as the original trilogy, but at least Rogue One FELT like one of the original Star Wars films, something which I cannot say about 1,2,3 or 7
>>
>>81778751
Not them but this is why I think the whole "it's too dark, not muh fun for 12 year olds. STOP TRYING TO BE SERIOUS" is fucking stupid, kids don't give a shit they just want to see action.
>>
>>81778690
>mine fields
Do mine fields even exist in the Star Wars universe? What reason do you have to think there would be one one Galen's farm?
>>
>>81778895
Yeah, it doesn't really make sense that he would have a mine field on the farm where he's raising his kid. This Jeff Magnum tripfaggot is a feloniously stupid cunt.
>>
>>81778955
>>81778895
A good thing to do before you reply to someone's post is to read the post they're replying to. I didn't bring up mines.
>>
>>81778751
Your nephew is dumb and you have low-IQ genes
>>
>>81778690
>I didn't bring up mines.
Except you did, right here: >>81778690
>>
>>81779147
>Star Wars is for 12 year olds
>Except for all of the 12 year olds who disagree with me
>>
>>81779207
You keep replying to that post without reading the post it was a reply of. I didn't bring up mines.
>>
>>81777723
Why does it matter which film did it first? It's not like it's an original concept.

How can you possibly be so obtuse? Reading your posts in this thread I can tell you're a pompous turbo-autist.
>>
>>81779245
I don't even believe you. 12 year olds who use gay as an insult don't even exist anymore. This isn't 2002
>>
>>81753777
I don't even remember watching it.

Wait. I remember the scene where the cynical guy almost shoots her dad, but then decides not to for no reason. That kind of annoyed me, 'cuz he had been kind of relatable up to that point.

And that's about all the emotion it evoked in me.
>>
>>81779389
>12 year olds who use gay as an insult don't even exist anymore.
See, this is how I know you're a shut in autist.
>>
>>81779388
The point of using a trip is so that you can follow the context of a conversation and read which replies were directed at which comments. You people argue by taking one comment out of context and arguing based off a faulty premise you gleaned from that single post.

I never called it a particularly original scene. I was responding to someone who commented on its originality by posting a film that did it after the example I used, which is fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>81777203
Star Wars and its epilogue, Empire Strikes Back. That is all.
>>
>>81779605
>I never called it a particularly original scene.
Then why is it relevant which film did it first?
>>
>>81779475
I have newphews and second cousins who are around that age. I don't know, maybe if I lived in a trashy red state I'd hear more gay bashing.
>>
>>81778114
>>81778548
>>81779147
>>81779389

Are manchildren really this out of touch?
>>
>>81779722
Yeah, they are.

Read all of the posts by this tripfaggot if you want some good laughs.

>star wars is for 12 year olds, and Rogue One is embarrassing because NO 12 year olds liked Rogue One
>look at all this intelligent stuff TFA does that no 12 year old is even remotely interested in
>>
>everyone
Do you always blow things out of proportion to try to make a point?
IRL I met no one that hated it. I even saw people that get butthurt by the slightest mention of SW saying that they liked Rogue One. And on /tv/ the opinions were pretty much even about it.
>>
>>81779722
Not liking the 'gritty' interpretation of a film series with magic space wizards definitely makes me the manchild
>>
>>81779701

>maybe if I lived in a trashy red state I'd hear more gay bashing.

Ok. I'm not the anon you were replying to but I think you made a wrong turn on the interwebs and ended up on the wrong board friendo.

Reddit is that way>>>>>>>>>>>
>>
>>81779870
But I thought everyone liked Empire.
>>
>>81779670
Why bring up a similar scene in Rogue One as a reply if you aren't trying to discredit its use in Force Awakens?
>>
File: mfw.jpg (424KB, 1200x772px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
424KB, 1200x772px
>>81779870
>he thinks RO is actually gritty while 12 year olds have no problem with it and ESB is universally praised for being the darkest one
>>
>liking star wars fanfiction
>liking star wars

What a total faggot
>>
>>81780078
Empire had a funny green elf teach Mark Hamill buddhism. It seemed gritty when you were 12
>>
>>81780133
Because you were pointing it out as if TFA was doing things that Rogue One failed to do.
>>
>>81780145
Empire is praised for being the most emotionally satisfying one; Episode III is much darker. And only emotionally-stunted fanboys praise a children's series for going dark. They want to feel less insecure for enjoying something made for kids, and they're too stupid to realize that tone has nothing to do with depth
>>
>>81768409
Jyn Erso
Cassian Andor
K-2SO
Chirrut Imwe
Baze Malbus
Bodhi Rook
Saw Gerrera
Galen Erso
Orson Krennic

No Google required m8
>>
>>81780309
Rogue One wasn't part of that particular comment thread. Someone was criticizing Starkiller base for its questionable physics, while I defended it for being aesthetically justified.
>>
>>81780208
>Empire had a funny green elf teach Mark Hamill buddhism.
That doesn't change the fact that it has kidnapping, torture, violent betrayal and limb amputations.

Rogue One had a funny Buddhist monk and a funny quip droid.

Are you really denying that 12 year olds liked Rogue One? They fucking loved it dude.

Try showing the OT to a 12 year old and see how long it takes before they get bored.
>>
File: not again.gif (995KB, 500x210px) Image search: [Google]
not again.gif
995KB, 500x210px
I don't want really want to discuss it again, but I guess I will. It was average, a 6/10, maybe 7 at a stretch. It was about as stand out and memorable as Oblivion, except it had Star Wars paint on it. I can barely remember any of the character's names or a single scene that stands out to me, whereas with the original movie and Empire, almost every scene is memorable. It had some plot missteps, like "Why couldn't Galen just send them the plans?" or "Why did Saul just choose to die?" but it was ultimately bang average. That's the worst thing it could have possibly been in a lot of ways.

Average robbed /tv/ of any enjoyment that comes with shitting hard on something, so fa/tv/irgins insisted it was awful. The Force Awakens was awful, and I mean awful. I hated it, and that was fun. It's character and plot flaws were so big you drive a truck through them. The hardcore Star Wars on the other hand insisted it was a genius, subversive war film (which it wasn't). Neither side could really take the truth, and the only real entertainment I got from this movie was watching two groups of people look at a big splotch of gray and one side insisting it was black while the other was convinced it was black.

It's easy to see why you'd enjoy this film, even though I don't think I'd ever be bothered watching it (or even any scenes from it) again, but I can certainly understand someone filing it under guilty pleasures. I wouldn't praise it for its message though. Everything it "said" has been said before and said better 100 times in the past, without the fact that it's a Star Wars film robbing its message of any sincerity or impact.

TL;DR it's a forgettable film not worthy of great praise or scorn, and if you had peeled away the Star Wars paint from it and released it, no one would even remember it existed by now
>>
>>81780549
>while the other was convinced it was *black
>>
>>81780367
RO wasn't even that dark it fits well with ANH and ESB you're the one that sounds insecure that a series has to be cartoony and stupid for you to enjoy it ironically while trying to speak for 12 year olds what star wars is meant to be and call kids retards if they didn't find RO to be troubling.
>>
>>81778045
Thats my penis tho
>>
>>81753936

>I'm a cuck numale

Good to know.
>>
>>81780527
It's hard to describe what I mean with concrete examples, but Empire has an air of swashbuckling adventure to it. It starts off with an ice monster, it has a giant space worm, it has Yoda. Rogue One is a war film where everyone dies and one of the good guys murders someone in cold blood. They're very distinct tonally.
>>
>>81780549
>Why did Saul just choose to die?
Because they needed to leave quickly and Saw can barely walk. I thought that was pretty clear cut when I saw it, but you're not the first person I've encountered on here who didn't understand what happened.
>>
>>81780623
Unironically enjoying Star Wars as an adult is shameful tbqh. It's like playing videogames after you turn 22 or drinking alone: you should feel guilty.

>fits well with ANH
I also remember the part in ANH where literally every character dies in artful underexposed lighting
>>
>>81754837

Fuck off.

R2-D2 and C-3PO are GOAT.
>>
>>81753777
I enjoyed it but it had too much nostalgia pandering while also trying hard to appeal to a modern audience, and too many characters who we're somehow supposed to care about dying.
>>
>>81780707
>It starts off with an ice monster, it has a giant space worm, it has Yoda.
Rogue One has a giant mind reading octopus, a Yeti manning a minigun, and a fish-man commanding a fleet.
>one of the good guys murders someone in cold blood.
Han shot first.
>They're very distinct tonally.
They're both dark in distinctly different ways, yes.
>>
>>81780806
He just said he was "tired of running" and wated time they could have used to escape having his little goodbye. It was in there because the director or producers felt "Oooh, the movie could use an emotional moment right around here, couldn't it?"

If they wanted to convey that he had to be left behind, they could have had part of the base cave in and crush his leg or something.

Even if you're right (which I don't think you are) the fact that so many people are "confused" by it shows that it's at least poorly done, doesn't it?
>>
>>81781000
This is what I meant by concrete examples. Tone is achieved by every aspect of the mise-en-scene, so there's not a single individual quality Rogue One has that makes it feel less like fantasy and more like sci-fi action, but it does. It felt like Halo via Simon West, or an 80s military action film. It felt less fantastical and more grounded, which is not what I want from a series with magical space wizards.
>>
>>81780885
That doesn't mean they need to be awkwardly shoe-horned into the film. Why not just have Boba Fett chase after the main characters too? Shove in Jabba while you're at it.

Fan pandering is cancer.
>>
honestly the first battle between those rebels and the stormtroopers in the tank felt like it was out of some movie about the Iraq war

if it wasn't for the quippy ending to that scene it would have been darker
>>
>>81781059
>wated time they could have used to escape having his little goodbye.
No, that was Jyn wasting time by turning around and begging him to come.
>>
>>81781172
Rogue One was literally no darker and no less childish or fantastical than Empire. It was a sci-fantasy for kids, just like every other movie in the series. 12 year olds loved it, so it accomplished its goal even according to your own criteria.
>>
>>81781215
>That doesn't mean they need to be awkwardly shoe-horned into the film
It makes perfect sense that they would be at the Yavin IV base prior to the battle of Scarif. There is no context for Jaba or Boba Fett being around at that time.

The C3PO and R2D2 shoehorning in TFA was significantly worse and it baffles me that you faggots give it a pass over the brief RO cameo.
>>
>>81781539
That's an absurd claim. Watch both films back to back; they couldn't be more different in terms of tone and pacing.
>>
>>81781215

>Shove in Jabba while you're at it.

Jabba should absolutely be in both the Han Solo and Boba Fett (if it ever gets made) movies. Possibly even in that underworld live action show that Lucas had in the works. He'd organically fit in those situations and time frames.
>>
>>81781649
You realize that 'light' and 'dark' aren't the only variables in 'tone' right? Revenge of the Sith doesn't feel like Rogue One either, but it's indisputably a darker Star Wars film.

Everyone on earth agrees that Empire is a dark/gritty film relative to the other Star Wars movies. You're really reaching by trying to claim that it isn't.
>>
>>81756907
>>bred from birth to be a stormtrooper and fight for the first order

https://youtu.be/xiFck6h6VaA?t=13s

He was actually a janitor for most of his life until budget cuts forced him into some quick training and dumped him into a Stormtrooper outfit.
>>
>>81781611
IIRC Leia is specified earlier in the film by Bail as not being on Yavin, yet they end up on her ship at the end of the film, which is what, an hour later? It's a contrivance, and it did nothing for the story. All it did was stop things dead to say "Hey, remember these guys?"

In TFA they have no specified other place that they're supposed to be, and it makes perfect sense they'd be with Leia.

I'll grant you one thing though. The RO cameo is nowhere near as contrived as them being in the prequels.
>>
>>81781897
>it's indisputably a darker Star Wars film.
and just to clarify, i don't mean that it's darker than rogue one, i just mean that it's one of the darker star wars movies alongside rogue one and empire.
>>
>>81781942
>Leia is specified earlier in the film by Bail as not being on Yavin, yet they end up on her ship at the end of the film
They went to Scariff with the rebel fleet and ended up on her ship. Not that strange.
>which is what, an hour later?
The elapsed time in a movie is not 1:1 to the length of the movie.
>>
>>81781897
Empire was dark in contrast to the first Star Wars. Tonal elements from that movie carried on throughout the rest of the series. Objectively speaking, it's not any darker than Episode II.
>>
>>81781611

How were they any more show-horned in than Han, Luke, Leia or Chewbacca?

They weren't at all. In fact I hope that the droids have much bigger parts in The Last Jedi.
>>
>>81782234
>How were they any more show-horned in than Han, Luke, Leia or Chewbacca?
They weren't. Basically everything in that movie from the old trilogy felt shoe-horned in.

I mean, just watch this garbage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC9dz3AyJTQ

The exposition isn't even trying to be subtle.
>>
>>81782196
>Objectively speaking, it's not any darker than Episode II.
How? Because Anakin got his hand cut off?

Where's the torture, betrayal, self-decapitation, etc in Episode II? How is the fucking loony toons droid factory scene anything at all like Empire?
>>
>>81782448
Remember that scene where Anakin finds his mother, who's a slave, tied after being tortured, then proceeds to commit genocide against the race of people who did it? He even talks about killing the children.
>>
>>81782037
Did they stop the ships side by side mid battle so they could get onto the right ship?
>>
>>81782539
If mass murder is your criteria for "dark" then A New Hope is the darkest Star Wars film of them all.
>>
>>81782676
Yes, that's exactly what they did actually. Watch the ending again.
>>
>>81777338
The entire movie could've just been 30 minutes of someone finding a transmission that plans for the Deathstar are on a empire ship, a space battle to get in range to steal the plans, then focus on a few groups of Rebel Fleet troops grabbing the plans and getting the fuck out of there.

Throw in some scenes in the beginning with Tarkin talking about a possible spy in the Death Star's development, show some random scientist pulling a little floppy disc out and handing it some some someone then you got a short film that will still bring in the bucks because Darth Vader shows up a for a few minutes.
>>
>>81782539
lightsabers kills are barely dark, there's no blood or anything it feels cartoony
>>
>>81780208
>Empire had a funny green elf teach Mark Hamill buddhism.
Rogue One had a funny Buddhist too. The buddhist in Empire instructed Luke to go into a cave that induces a hallucination where he severs his own head from his body.
>It seemed gritty when you were 12
Yeah, Rogue One is only genuinely gritty for kids too. When people call it dark they mean relative to other Star Wars movies.
>>
File: easter.png (197KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
easter.png
197KB, 3000x3000px
>>81753777
You mean everyone on this contrarian website, right? Because everyone else loved it.
Thread posts: 343
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.