[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MST3K 'The Return'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 340
Thread images: 35

File: mst3k-netflix-season-11-cast.jpg (336KB, 825x464px) Image search: [Google]
mst3k-netflix-season-11-cast.jpg
336KB, 825x464px
It's out, thoughts?

I've been cautiously optimistic from the beginning and expected it to be complete garbage. After watching the first 6 episodes I think it's pretty enjoyable, the only things that bug me are how the jokes seem more like machine gun bullets rather than buckshot, and the remote control puppet mouth movement is a bit wonky and very distracting when it doesn't sync up to speech.

>inb4 anime reaction images instead of constructive criticism and discussion
>>
>>81624210
The voices of Crow/Servo are distracting but otherwise I'm enjoying it. Surprised by Felicia Day and Patton Oswalt.
>>
I refuse to watch it.
>>
>>81625337
Yeah me too! I honestly thought they'd find ways to shoehorn in forced [CURRENT YEAR] jokes along with cringe worthy memes.
>>
It's pretty much what I expected, pretty alright with few highlights here and there. Feels a bit different but how could it not after over fifteen years? I feel like I got my money's worth ( just need that coffee mug delivered). Hopefully it does well enough to warrant more season, though I was annoyed to learn it's not on European Netflix, so future seasons are going to be a bitch.

>>81625337
You kinda get used to Tom after a few episodes. It's very jarring in the beginning, I fully admit that.
>>
There's no reviews on Metacritic or Rottentomatoes yet so I don't have an opinion

But for real it's a little too much of a time investment right now for me and I don't want to sink in too many hours to something that is just 'meh'
>>
Also Felicia Day annoys me. I used to have a "crush" on her like 2010 and now I'm embarrassed that I fell for that meme
>>
There is a reason they stopped doing the invention exchange at peak series popularity.

The live band? Why?

The premise of days and oswalts characters arent good.

Honestly watching makes me reminisce for nelson brain guy bobo and pearl

Crow is and always will be best part of show
>>
WHERE'S THE FUCKING TORRENT
>>
I heard it was pretty bad and they don't do continuity with the jokes in the movie, but I've seen positive reactions on Twitter.
>>
>>81626303
>Crow is and always will be best part of show
This. I disagree with most of what you said though.
>>
>>81625337
Wouldn't say Crow at all, but definitely Tom.

Only on ep 1, the jokes seem a little more scripted even if they were scripted in old mst3k... Stuff like them saying lines before something happens on screen. Still funny, though.
>>
My advice for watching nu-MST3K

Step 1. Skip literally everything but the movie riff

Step 2. See step 1.

and you're good. I've laughed a good few times watching, and other than the voices which i then stopped noticing after a few episodes it's actually not bad.

I can't comment on the wife murderer or Grandad fucker, because like I said, I skipped past them every time.
>>
>>81627973
They're relatively inoffensive, but they're nowhere near as good as old Forrester/Frank
>>
It's fucking shit.
>>
Does anybody else feel like they cut away from the movie like twice as much as they used to? It's really annoying.
>>
>>81625407
Same. Rifftrax exists so this whole reboot seems pointless.
>>
>>81624210
I was expecting the worst but they really pulled it off. Granted I never watch the sketches my only interest is the movies and the riffs

It's actually great. I was wrong about the whole thing.
>>
The original sucked, anyway. This seems no different.
>>
Some general thoughts.

- New Crow is fine, but he sounds almost exactly like a perfect 50/50 mix of Trace's and Corbett's Crows and it kind of weirds me out.

- The host segments are whatever, but I was never really a big fan of them in the original show

- Felicia Day is fine given the material she has to work with

- Patton Oswalt sucks

- Jonah and Tom sound incredibly similar and I'm having a hard time telling who's speaking during the theater segments
>>
It's shit
I couldn't even finish watching it
It's unfunny garbage

I like both mike and Joel and this new guy sucks hard dick
>>
Stop trying to shill this shit on /tv/

sage
>>
>>81629378
>Jonah and Tom sound incredibly similar and I'm having a hard time telling who's speaking during the theater segments
I mix up Tom and Crow actually
Jonah's voice is deeper than Tom's and half the time the guy playing Tom does a shitty higher pitched impression that sometimes sounds like crow.
>>
File: such-doubts.gif (530KB, 200x150px) Image search: [Google]
such-doubts.gif
530KB, 200x150px
>>81629378
>- Jonah and Tom sound incredibly similar and I'm having a hard time telling who's speaking during the theater segments

I dislike the Tom voice, and this is one of the worst parts about it.

On the first episode right now, going to try to stay positive.
>>
>>81624210

How much money do you get if you get this thread to 300 replies?
>>
The show seems polarising. You either like it or you piss all over it like usually 4chan hate of things because they are new
>>
>>81624210
>the jokes seem more like machine gun bullets rather than buckshot
Shit, Trace was like a sniper rifle.
>>
>>81629717
And Bill is a Revolver?
>>
>>81629827
Bill was more like a howitzer.
>>
Looking forward to watching it, although I'm not sure if ill have the energy to watch a whole episode after work every day
>>
FUCK OFF SHILLS
>FUCK OFF SHILLS
FUCK OFF SHILLS
>FUCK OFF SHILLS
FUCK OFF SHILLS
>FUCK OFF SHILLS
>>
>>81626688
This. How do you expect me to watch it without any torrent out?
>>
The jokes are more like saber slashes, rather than axe chops.
>>
>>81624210
Tom, Servo, and Jonah all sound the same to me. I like that the bots are more animated, but Tom flies around too much.

Also it uses the "why use one joke when six will do?" method of humor which comes off too ADD. Way too much singing, too.

Otherwise, I'm pleasantly surprised. The jokes land pretty well and Jonah does well with the puppets.

Oh and I don't hate them but I don't understand the bumpers. There's no commercials, why are we cutting away to hear Patton Oswalt talk for a few seconds and then cutting back?
>>
>>81630271
>>81630023
>>81629827
>>81629717
>>81624210
Joel=shaolin spade
Mike=katana
Frank=desert eagle
Bill=tow missile
Kevin=winchester rifle
Trace=sharpened stick
Mary Jo=nunchuck

Any disagreement is null and void
>>
>>81630660
You're stupid and you don't even know.
>>
Some people liked my suggestion in the last thread so I'll just carry it over.

"So none of the original voice actors for the bots are back? No Mike? Patton Oswalt is involved?

No thanks.

I wish we had more MST3K produced back when it was originally on, of course, but it at least had a nice ending. They should have just made new characters/setting for this and presented it as something that was in spirit of the show.

Hell, it's not hard to write up a concept for a show like that. Dude gets lost in the woods and finds cabin/abandoned drive-in with bunch of shitty movies and watches them with a fucking bigfoot/mothman/cryptid thing. Something stupid like that."
>>
>>81630826
>doesn't know how/when to greentext

You have to go back
>>
>>81626303
Yeah, Joel left and the TGIFriday's waiter didn't know how to write invention jokes good.
>>
>>81624210
It's decent but compared to the original the jokes are like a large thin crust pizza with pineapples whereas in the original the jokes were more of a medium stuffed crust pepperoni pizza.
>>
>>81628553
>Watching tired men in their early 60's make fun of Hollywood films meant for tweens
It's like Red Letter Media in 20 years.
>>
>>81630826
Is your post a giant quote of something?
>>
The jokes feel like runny diarrhea when they should feel like a natural afternoon shit.
>>
>>81631325
So you prefer the new version?
>>
>>81631493
>an actual on point shitpost
>on /tv/

Well there's something you don't see every day.
>>
>>81631612
No. The large thin crust pineapple pizza implies that while there are some good jokes (aka the actual pizza) they're all but overshadowed by the shitty pineapples.
>>
>>81631766
>shitty pineapples.
Again, the things you are saying don't make sense.
>>
File: rrc49MF.jpg (40KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
rrc49MF.jpg
40KB, 640x640px
>>81629164
>>
>>81630826

nice pasta from last thread
>>
>>81630826
>They should have just made new characters/setting for this and presented it as something that was in spirit of the show.
>Hell, it's not hard to write up a concept for a show like that. Dude gets lost in the woods and finds cabin/abandoned drive-in with bunch of shitty movies and watches them with a fucking bigfoot/mothman/cryptid thing. Something stupid like that
There already is a spiritual successor to MST3K
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qcO_tcnOQs&list=PL7ZaORKa_vX2gOLUjskIRZENFpL0XMBXO
>>
File: Qx5lQ.gif (1MB, 480x359px) Image search: [Google]
Qx5lQ.gif
1MB, 480x359px
Just like the original the episodes are hit and miss. Some times they are hilarious and sometimes they aren't.
>>
>>81632254
REEE the old show was perfect because it was written by trump supporters. This new show is terrible because i'ts written by leftist hollywood jews!
REEE
>>
File: File_000.jpg (120KB, 600x842px) Image search: [Google]
File_000.jpg
120KB, 600x842px
>>81624210
>inb4 anime reaction images instead of constructive criticism and discussion

It's shit. Jokes are forced and poorly timed, host spots are horrible and a waste of time, and the voices are extremely off. Also Gypsy's voice is terrible. Pretty much what you said, with the exception of liking it.
>>
Gypsy with a normal voice is really fucking weird. Otherwise the movie bits have been funny and I'm still not quite sold on the host skits.
>>
>>81632254
JERRY...
>>
Some thoughts:

>new Tom Servo sucks

>I want Felicia Day to sit on my face

>the riffing has timing issues but in my opinion is even funnier than the original series

>Joel>Mike
>>
I don't understand. I haven't watched it, but people are saying crow and servo's voices are distracting. They're fucking puppets. Why wouldn't they cast people that sound pretty much exactly like them.

With that said I'm not going to watch it until I see more trusted reviews. This seems absolutely dumb and pointless considering the show is ageless. Mike Nelson could still be doing it. You don't need all these cool guy new people.
>>
>>81633435
They have to riff as well, it's not just a voice gig.
>>
>>81633435
>more trusted reviews
Like who?
>>
They throw out jokes way too fast, they give them no time to breathe. It's like in the writing room they didn't want to reject anyone's jokes so they try to figure out how many they could fit in between lines.

Gypsy is like the mom that sees everyone having fun, then comes in and says something to try to be cool as well and makes everyone feel awkward.

I have a hard time telling who's saying what at times, partially cause they talk so fast and partially cause they sound alike.

So far after 2 episodes I find myself laughing very little, I pretty much slept through the second one cause it was so boring. The third episode so far is decent though.
>>
File: 1392501758459.jpg (31KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1392501758459.jpg
31KB, 576x432px
>>81624210
I....
I.......
Just finished watching it and it was better than I thought it would be. Was expecting a complete disaster, got some tolerable-tier MST3K.

Biggest complaints thus far: The camel is awful. She was pretty limited in the episode, if they just leave her for the invention exchange and Push the Button Frank then she'll be tolerable.

Host, Crow, and Tom's voices are too similar. Found myself having a hard time telling them apart when the kino was running. Similar topic on voices, WHAT THE FUCK DID THEY DO TO GYPSY REEEEEEEEEEEEE

Flying Tom is kind of annoying. Maybe they're just overdoing it for the first episode and they'll calm the fuck down. Related note, they need to fucking cut the puppet strings on his arms and let his big beautiful springs fly free and floppy as God intended.

Overall surprised it wasn't a complete trainwreck like I anticipated. TV's Wife Killer was alright, I'm glad they focused on him more than the camel, and the new host seems ok. Glad they had the invention exchange as a bit of silly nonsense and it was alright.
>>
>>81631365
Was that supposed to be a negative criticism?

Also, I'm honestly not interested, and I've loved MST3K for as long as it's been on. The sets look great, but MST is one of those rare shows that had a perfect run and didn't need a reboot/sequel/etc. Rifftrax was honestly the most organic way to follow it up.
>>
>>81633848
>I pretty much slept through the second one cause it was so boring.

what. cry wilderness was a huge improvement over the first episode
>>
>>81633274
>Joel>Mike

Opinion disregarded.
>>
>>81631365
the Twilight with the CGI baby who falls in love with the werewolf is better riff material than 90% of MST3K's ouvre

also when Rifftrax does older movies it's always gold
>>
>>81628693
Yeah me too! I'm glad I was wrong about it for once, the sketches aren't too bad, I even laughed at a few, like the invention exchange where the Mads create a device that turns phrases into movie posters.

>>81629378
Yeah, I got a 'best of both worlds' vibe from Crow's new voice.
With Day and Oswalt, I've been doing my best to separate 'artist and their art,' and I'm trying to be as open minded as possible.

>>81629599
>>81629529
>>81630222

I'm sorry actual discussion about television shows makes you angry, maybe you should goto a board like >>>/v/ where they discuss everything but what the board is for. Also I'm getting paid with dildos to shove up my boy hole.

>>81633848
Yeah honestly I slept halfway through 'Time Travellers,' I felt the same way about the jokes though, I remember openly asking my tv to stfu
during the first episode, the jokes really do need time to breathe.

>>81633902
Yeah, Gypsy's new voice was strange, it feels akward.
>>
File: 1303656367459.jpg (62KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1303656367459.jpg
62KB, 800x600px
>>81629567
First episode leaves a bad taste in your mouth. It's really not that good. Been marathoning it all day since this morning. Watch the second episode before giving a final opinion. I feel the rest of the episodes have been decent.

The host segments are all terrible. For god's sake they had Seinfeld make a cameo and it wasn't funny at all. Just awkward.
>>
>>81624210
Felicia is terrible.

Patton is surprisingly good, though he's still an awful person.

Still butthurt that they didn't invite Mike to do a cameo.

Sets/VFX are good.

New Crow is perfect, I'm amazed.

New Tom is shit, I wish they brought on Ross Scott.

They didn't explain what the fuck Tom and Crow are doing on the Satellite of Love and that irks me.
>>
Some thoughts:

Watching this is a little bittersweet for me; back when the original aired it was very much a circumstance of perfect place and time. I was at an age when this stuff was gold for me. I loved shitty movies, and Joel/Mike would have jokes that were clever and had me actually research what they were referencing to understand them.

This? I guess it's passable. Felicia Day doesn't bring anything to the table like Forester/Pearl did, and Oswalt might as well not even be there. I'm only 4 episodes in, maybe it will change.

The whole thing seems...forced? Like instead of doing something with a similar premise they decided to Frankenstein the corpse of the old show? Some of the jokes and references seem really sad and there just for the sake of "reference": Bobo, Pearl, and Brain Guy showing up to visit, the one Rowsdower joke, etc.

If the idea was for this to be "this generation's" MST3K, then they shouldn't have bothered having this be tied to the old platform. Take a risk, do something new. As it stands it neither stands on its own or successfully rekindles any real nostalgia I had for the original.
>>
>>81634309
If you're wondering how (Tom and Crow are on the Satellite of Love)
and other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax
>>
>>81634437
They spent several minutes of the show setting up the lore. Clearly they want me to care at least a little.
>>
>>81634309
Ross Scott as Tom would be fucking amazing!
I wish Mike was involved too, it makes me question the existence of the entire show. I wish people could just get along, it leaves a 'something rotten in the state of Denmark' feel behind.

>>81634409
Yeah, they bother to bring back Mike's Mads but not Mike, what the fuck? Even if it had him being schlubby, watching movies in an apartment.
>>
>>81624210
I feel like if I wanna listen to a bunch of vaguely funny dudes riff on pop culture there's a bunch of free podcasts I can listen to while also doing something else. The original show has a natural feel that I doubt will be recaptured. This is a shitty product preying on nostalgia.
>>
>>81624210
I must have missed it - but what the hell is Gypsy dropping off and picking up in the theater?

Gypsy's new voice doesn't fit at all and is jarring as fuck. It's like they got someone's mom to read a line.
>>
>>81634959
Apparently per Joel, it's "the payload", but they don't have a function for it yet
>>
>>81634837
>Yeah, they bother to bring back Mike's Mads but not Mike, what the fuck? Even if it had him being schlubby, watching movies in an apartment.
It's because he's a conservative.
>>
I think it's okay. Not great, but most of the episodes I've seen pass as at least mid-tier MST3K (ep 1 was the worst). One criticism is the riffing needs to feel more like natural banter, with more of the three reacting to and playing off each other. That's something that the late Mike episodes did really well

also, since I've listened to so much Flophouse and am familiar with his sense of humor, I was hearing a lot of the jokes in Elliott Kalan's voice and kind of want him to be one of the bots for season 2. (he was the head writer)
>>
>>81634849
if you haven't even seen it why do you think anyone cars about your opinion? pure shitpost
>>
>>81635139

They don't shut up enough. They talk *constantly*, way more than Joel/Mike ever did. It's like they're terrified to let there be a moment of silence.
>>
>>81635090
Oh yea I forgot, it's the [NEO CURRENT YEAR] why does everything I love have to be infected by that shit?
>>
Watching episode 2 right now, Cry Wilderness. Anyone else think Paul is cute? I would be a good dad to Paul.
>>
>>81635240
Because this timeline sucks ass. Still for the most part they have kept the politics to a minimum and I'm a few episodes in.

Can't wait for this PC shit to do away.
>>
Out of 2 episodes I've laughed at the host segments once (the raccoon skit in episode 2). Which is to say that so far they're doing better than the original show's host segments.

>>81634849
>I feel like if I wanna listen to a bunch of vaguely funny dudes riff on pop culture there's a bunch of free podcasts

Do you understand that this is a scripted show? You're comparing two completely different things
>>
>>81635415
Which reality are you from? Beranstien or Beranstain?
>>
>>81635503
Bilderberg
>>
>>81635532
Dear God...
>>
>>81626303
Invention exchange was primarily a Joel thing since he was so big into prop comedy.
>>
Why didn't Joel come back?
>>
File: 1492180340553.jpg (94KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1492180340553.jpg
94KB, 1024x576px
>>81624210
Felicia Day and Patton Oswald suck like usual.

The actual riffs aren't that bad, they're like a mediocre episode of the original series, which is actually saying a lot. I laughed a few times and generally enjoyed the experience.

I expected it to be 0/10, but it turned out to be a 5/10 or a 5.5/10 so far (I'm only on episode 3).

The biggest issue with it is that it just makes me want to go watch the old series. They keep making references to the old, better series. Rule #1 of movies (or series making I suppose) is not to reference things that are better than yours. If they wanted to make a spiritual successor they should have gone in a different direction as other anons suggested. Bringing it back like this makes it feel like a corpse that has been reanimated.

It's worth watching for me because I broke both my legs in an accident at work and they're paying me a shit ton of money to stay home.
>>
>>81635503
Idk I'm just tired of all the female and race baiting. I miss the 90s everyone is equal who gives a shit attitude.
>>
Okay, the episode 2 movie credits was some hilarious shit.
>>
20 mins into Reptilicus and the quips are a little too fast for me. It's like, stick to one bit and leave some silence in between you know? Does it get better later on? I was impressed with the model stuff and I still like the Tom and Crow characters and some quips genuinely made me laugh, though.
>>
>>81635684
They keep up the quick pace which is one of the main reasons it is worse than the original.

There is no time for the jokes to sit in the air. It doesn't feel as organic.
>>
>>81635684
I really enjoyed Cry of the Wilderness, Avalanche, The Land that Time Forgot, and The Love of Hercules
>>
>>81635772
Dang, well I'll stick with it for a few more. I think the jokes are still strong, just too fast to digest you know? Like the whole 'scientist eating frozen samples' schtick was great and they re-referenced it humourously. I just feel like they were going rapid fire for awhile there.
>>
>>81635596
He's the producer and one of the writers, and he's gonna have a cameo.
>>
>>81635861
Ok the monsters around the world rap was pretty great
>>
>>81635950
He's the guy who pulls the movie Lever, Ardy
>>
>>81624210
>A camel and six faggots
Sounds like the start of a joke.
>>
>>81630660
what a weird post
>>
>>81635950

Joel showed up in a completely silent cameo in Time Travelers.
>>
whats the deal with the developer in the background is he going to help write the show or some shit
>>
>>81632070
>there already is a spiritual successor to MST3K
>show entirely in russian
>>
>>81634078
Joel at his best is better than mike at his best
>>
>>81636116
But you got to admit it nails the spirit of the show.
>>
>>81636208
When Joel was bad he was baaaad, like a wet floppy fish. At least Mike had energy
>>
>>81636265
I'll agree with that, bad Joel eps are pretty horrible. Within the lore of the show I liked him a lot more though, I don't like how Mike became the idiot brother. I dug how Joel was like the cool dad
>>
where are the files at? fuck netflix
>>
>>81636305
Mike had decent interactions with Pearl though, felt like they were more equal adversaries than Joel just being bossed around.
>>
>>81636305
I think both played to their strengths. Joel was great but when mike got good, there was no comparison and you get episodes like space mutiny, time chasers, werewolf, and hobgoblins. Joel started it but mike perfected it
>>
File: IMG_1321.jpg (57KB, 197x190px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1321.jpg
57KB, 197x190px
>>81636361
>That ep where Mike walks over to Pearls VW and they chit chat like two friendly neighbors on the porch at night
>>
>>81624210
IT
IS
SO
FUCKING
HORRID
>>
>>81636459
>That weird chemistry between 2 startstuck adversaries after many seasons of movie-torture
>Chasing through time and space until finally meeting face to face
>Crow comes in an acts like a kid

It was great
>>
>>81629476

this. I turned it off after 15 minutes of movie
>>
File: capture.png (10KB, 755x157px) Image search: [Google]
capture.png
10KB, 755x157px
>>81636346
I got your back bro
>>
File: 1390196626143.jpg (18KB, 432x505px) Image search: [Google]
1390196626143.jpg
18KB, 432x505px
> the only things that bug me are how the jokes seem more like machine gun bullets rather than buckshot

?
>>
>>81636553
oh nice, point me in the right direction then please
>>
Watched the first two and the riffing was weak in both. Not sure if I even want to continue.
>>
The Danny impressions on Time Travelers are making me laugh pretty hard. I'm feeling pretty good about this reboot now.

Just like the original show, it's so much funnier when they're joking about what's happening and sort of creating a simultaneous narrative, rather than just doing nonstop pop culture references and one-offs. That was why Reptilicus was so underwhelming.
>>
does anyone have a list of the movies they watch in the new season? I can't find a list anywhere
>>
>>81636916
Do they ever fix the joke pacing? Like in the first one it was just unbearable how they were trampling each other trying to spit out jokes every 2 seconds.
>>
I really don't think Trace gets enough credit as Forrester. His "ambition exeeds his ability" became such a modern template of what a Mad Scientist should be. There'd be no Dr. Venture without Clayton.
>>
>>81637039
Uhhhh. Hmm. I wonder how much validity there is to that comparison. Somebody with a twitter ask Jackson if he is a MSTie. I peg it at 50/50 odds.
>>
>>81624210
My biggest gripe is that they say the jokes way too quickly. There are moments where they will just be spitting out riffs without any time inbetween. In the original show the riffs weren't made up on the spot but they still delivered them in ways that made sense. Without any breathing room you can't appreciate it, and because there are so many of them it feels fake.
>>
>>81627973
I think the skits are good, original show had some awful ones too
>>
It's not like the quips weren't scripted or occasionally too fast for what was happening on-screen and unnatural on the old show sometimes. I totally agree they're too fast now, but after watching Pod People again recently it's occasionally jarring.

Still liking the new one a lot.
>>
>>81629378
>Patton Oswalt sucks
Please tell me he doesn't take up too much screentime. I can tell just from thumbnails that he's awful.
>>
>"WOW, Jonah is a really mediocre drummer!"
>"How do we incorporate it into the show?"
>"Get this. We should have him play during the show, but put no backing vocals or instrumental tracks. Nothing but wild tempo drumming."
>"That's good, I suppose. I worry that the viewer wouldn't understand how cool it is."
>"No worries, we got it covered. While he plays this janky jam, we will have... get this... *THE* Wil Wheaton comment on how cool it is in a very masturbatory way."
>"Well I'm sold. Make it way too long and throw it right at the beginning so the viewer knows what to expect from this hip, new remake of a show that only probably 5 people watched like 35 years ago."
>>
File: 1491069628272.png (573KB, 971x690px) Image search: [Google]
1491069628272.png
573KB, 971x690px
>>81634309
>Ross Scott as Servo
WHY DID I NEVER THINK OF THIS
>>
>>81629378
TV's Frank was not a great character and his acting was awful most of the time
>>
>>81638070
That is was made him so lovable. He acted serious much of the time but all of us, including him, knew it was a joke because he is such a horrible actor.
>>
>>81634309
>They didn't explain what the fuck Tom and Crow are doing on the Satellite of Love and that irks me.
I think they kinda do. The doorway sequence shows a bunch of robot parts and Servo could duplicate himself. Those aren't the original Tom Servo and Crow.
>>
>>81624210

>cautiously optimistic
>expected it to be complete garbage

do you people even know what words mean anymore? jesus christ.
>>
Time Travelers wasn't a bad movie at all.
>>
Holy fucking shit, nearly halfway through the forth episode there's an extended song about love between felicia day and fucking neil patrick harris and it's absolutely the worst. It wasn't funny it was just a way to get felicia day and nph to sing together again.
>>
File: 1367879944027.jpg (31KB, 636x464px) Image search: [Google]
1367879944027.jpg
31KB, 636x464px
>>81624210
So, Who is circulating the tapes?

If you catch my drift.
>>
What's the theme song like?
>>
>tfw you got away with murder
>>
i just finished watched the first episode and it's not doing anything for me. i'll just rewatch the old MST3K episodes. is rifftrax any good?
>>
>>81639519
>is rifftrax any good?

it's alright
>>
File: 1311215968577.jpg (39KB, 478x474px) Image search: [Google]
1311215968577.jpg
39KB, 478x474px
>>81639253
>An extended song about love between felicia day and fucking neil patrick harris
>>
File: thumbsup-lenny.gif (1MB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
thumbsup-lenny.gif
1MB, 300x225px
>>81639381
it's done by Har Mar, but he only does his soul singer hulking out or the last few lines. otherwise it's staying true to the original show in that it's the exact same fucking song with a couple new lyrics.

one of the conceits of the show is that the opening credits weren't recorded correctly, so when you see them each episode it means the characters are acting it out all over again. personally, that joke gets funnier for me each time.
>>
Why's Mike not involved?
>>
>>81639771
Rivalry.
>>
File: 1461718581322.jpg (66KB, 400x475px) Image search: [Google]
1461718581322.jpg
66KB, 400x475px
Finished the first episode. Surprisingly funny so far. Hearing modern references kinda throws me for a loop and I'm still trying to get used to the new voices, but the jokes are hitting about as often as they did in the original. I'm trying not to let nostalgia cloud my judgement. People are either going to hate it because it isn't the original or love it because it follows the original pretty closely.
>>
>>81639842
Between whom?
>>
>>81639892
I'm not even that into the original, but I do think it's a great background show. I'm almost done with episode 1 of this one and it's really on par. The scientists are fucking awful though.
>>
>>81639893
Take a wild guess.
>>
File: LUFFYFACE.png (60KB, 203x217px) Image search: [Google]
LUFFYFACE.png
60KB, 203x217px
Roomie thinks I'm crazy and I don't remember the original series but I swear they didn't talk this fucking much with the riffs, they start a new riff soon as they end one over and over. Wouldn't be a problem if they were funny but they all fall flat.

Does anyone notice they read from the script before anything happens on screen too?
>>
>>81639519
>i'll just rewatch the old MST3K episodes

better not stray from the 10-20 that get recommended over and over. there were a lot that were just as bad or worse than Reptilicus. a new movie every episode doesn't really lend itself to consistency, which is why people acting like fans of the show and then writing this new one off after a single episode is odd.
>>
>>81628509
nah the original show had a bunch of commercial breaks but they were just a shot of the moon logo for a couple seconds. while this one is the skeleton crew band and some things from patton oswalt that i never listen to
>>
>>81626151
This
>>
File: weird.jpg (52KB, 572x601px) Image search: [Google]
weird.jpg
52KB, 572x601px
>>81639893
There's not necessarily bad blood between Mike and Joel. But imagine how hard it is for Mike, the former head writer and host, to come back just for a cheesy cameo.

Rifftrax isn't just a logical conclusion for him. It was a necessity because he doesn't own a piece of the MST3K brand and doesn't make money of all the times its rights have been sold to Rhino or Shoutcast or licensed to Netflix. It would be a tiny payday to show up in the new show, and I think he just couldn't swallow his pride for it.
>>
>>81628509
i'm not saying this to be snotty to you, but the amount of cutaways is literally exactly the same as the original show.

i can't speculate why it might feel like less or more, tbqh.
>>
I feel the people praising the voices haven't watched an older episode in a long time.
>>
>>81639943
>>81639994
I didn't know what the deal was between Mike and Joel.
>>
>>81635972
I didn't care for it and, of course this is just based on the first episode, they made Jonah a kind of heroic figure, whereas Joel was a janitor and Mike was a temp.
>>
>Third world Netflix doesn't have the new season
TORRENT
FUCKING
WHERE
>>
>>81640077

they are both too dignified and classy to take shots at each other in public like trash celebrities. there are just some creative and business disagreements between them, and it's not worth them discussing or even us spending precious time of our lives thinking too hard about. y'know?
>>
>>81636556
The jokes in the new show are coming out to fast and are not allowed enough time to land whereas in the original they'd make a cluster of jokes around one situation. At least I think that was anon's intent.
>>
Everytime I see a Felicia Day thread I want to find redhead amateur anal porn to jerk off to.
>>
>>81640137
Yeah there's something moralistic about his character. Right from the fact that he got captured by ditching his payload and attempting to respond to a distress call.

All of the hosts were saps in some way. His is just the archetypal good guy that acts before thinking.
>>
>>81640228
I worked in a porn theater ten years ago and inflicted so much of my Justine Jolie crush onto our customers. Good times!
>>
>>81640317
>Justine Joli
Perfect. This is the second time /tv/ has come through for a porn proxy. First one was Shione Cooper for Ariel Winter.
>>
Why does Tom sound bored and weak?
Why does Crow sound like he's talking through his nose and trying too hard to someone else?
>>
>>81639951
I've watched about 35 old episodes recently to prepare for the new ones and none of the first three new episodes are even as good as the worst old episode I've seen. I'm surprised people are saying this is on par with the old ones. There were lame old episodes but almost every single riff in the new ones falls flat for me.
>>
>>81639994
I think there's something to that. Nelson owns Rifftrax outright (I'm not sure if Murphy and Corbett are paid employees or if they also own a piece of it) and until yesterday he was the successor of a moderately popular cult TV show with a devoted fan base (I know Cinematic Titanic was a thing and then there's the Mads but I believe Rifftrax is much more popular than either of those). Now the original show is back, albeit with a new cast, and well, what good would it do for Nelson to help a competitor?
>>
>>81640477
I'll have to withhold judgement on this season until I've seen all of them but it would be very hard to imagine them topping the old MST3K seasons 3-10. The first episode has done nothing for me so far though.
>>
>>81640477
You're a fanboy, plain and simple. I've watched probably 15 or so episodes of the old series and this new series is at least as good as the worst of them.
>>
>>81635618
>The biggest issue with it is that it just makes me want to go watch the old series.
This is the problem I'm having. I just don't have any kind of opinion on the new series other than 'it's a thing'. Host segments are not good, but overall it's a a resounding 'This really didn't need to be a thing, but okay.' for me.

There's still the old series and Mike & everyone at Rifftrax, so it's not all too bad.
>>
>>81640612
Exactly what I'm thinking atm. I think I laughed a couple times during the first movie.
>>
>>81624210

right on the nose OP.

It's a little quick. The jokes are still pretty good quality though.

My only complaints lie in the speed which isnt a big deal and that Servo doesnt sound like Servo anymore.

But very small complaints so far. I enjoy it.
>>
>>81633580
Lol writers... writers my friend
>>
I'm actually kind of shocked. I really wasn't going into this expecting much but I had a good amount of laughs. I'm only through the first episode but damn color me surprised.
>>
3 minutes in and its a fucking SJW fiesta

Shut up wesley
Camel Face
Unfunny Fat

Even main character has a face and haircut that I just want to punch

Everything is forced and this roster of movies blows

I'll give it 2 episodes as a curiosity
>>
I wanna fuck the shit out of Felicia during the opening. So fucking hot.
Other than that, it's okay. The timing of jokes is a bit off sometimes.
Had a few laughs.
>>
>>81641009
>SJW fiesta
reminder that nobody would be talking about this bullshit that has nothing to do with MST3K or the reboot's actual writing at all, yet because you don't like a few of the actor's tweets it's some big issue

but, but it's those other guys who get worked up over nothing
>>
>>81636997
Time Travelers had a different feel from ep 1. Longer jokes, with more interplay between the riffers.

I think 1-3 were a steady improvement.
>>
File: 1478815444063.jpg (145KB, 2378x650px) Image search: [Google]
1478815444063.jpg
145KB, 2378x650px
I'm not surprised a majority of you dumb cunts dislike this for reasons that make it seem like you didn't even watch it. If you don't like the new mst3k, then you either didn't like the original or you have no capacity for change. The riff composition is completely in tune with the original; timeless jokes, character lampooning, and observant pop-culture references brought to you by several of the original writers and creator. People here just need another thing to hate on, and since this is a reboot, what's more of an easy target? Serious reddit hive-mind vibes in this cesspool
>>
>>81641416
>Serious reddit hive-mind vibes in this cesspool
You'd know wouldn't you?
>>
>>81641468
Yeah, and...?
>>
>>81641009
k. your opinion has been noted.

i guess it would be crazy for you to hang around now, so see ya 'round.
>>
First Episode thoughts...
Felicia Day and Tom are the hardest to get used to. We go from Evil Dr Forrester to Ticking Time Bomb Pearl to Swarmy .. I donno

The Riffs were better than I thought they would be. Some very funny parts. I agree with everyone that I cant tell if it's Jonah or Tom riffing

While its clever having Gypsy now in the theater at times. I don't like her new voice.

All in all its taking some getting used to. The riffs made me laugh, The usual only I would get that joke jokes were great, Thats all you can really ask for in the show

Rough start but so far so good
>>
>>81641610
plus that song was incredible
>>
>>81641009
>this roster of movies blows

Have you ever seen the show?

Frankly im not surprised of the reaction here nowadays the only thing 4Chan likes is Hitler and Trump.
>>
>>81634801
that was a mistake, only that lyric is cannon
>>
The Time Travellers actually seemed like a half decent film.
>>
>>81641113
Yeah, I'm with you. Didn't think I would be but she's oddly hot.
>>
Thoughts so far:

"Reptilicus": Utter shit. Rapid fire unfunny jokes. Horrible season opener.
"Cry Wilderness": A handful of laughs, saved by the film being so absurd you're fascniated by it.
"The Time Travelers": Feels like a weak episode of the old show. Which is good for this sorry season.
"Avalanche": Best episode so far. I actually laughed at a lot of the jokes throughout the entire episode.

I just started "The Beast of Hollow Mountain" and so far it's about the level of "The Time Travelers" not a great episode but not drowning in unfunny shit like "Reptilicus."
>>
>>81640807
Yeah but what I mean is they can't just be a dead ringer voice, they need to pull off the jokes in-character in a natural way. I'm not saying they made the right choices, but I do think pulling off the riff is just as important as how identical the voice is.
>>
...since it just came up on the episode I'm watching...WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE "LIQUID TELEVISION" THING? Instead of static there's bubbles? Is it just so they could justify the "movie in the hole" gag? is it a weird ass reference to late night 90s MTV?
>>
>>81641833
yeah, it was really well shot and made great use of its low budget. I think the only MST3K movie I enjoyed as much on its own terms was Jack Frost

that part where the mutants are tearing the android apart was pretty crazy
>>
File: crrrrrrooooowww.jpg (32KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
crrrrrrooooowww.jpg
32KB, 480x360px
>>81634309
He actually looks like Crow. fucking god-tier casting.
>>
Where's the Torrent?
>>
it's weird to see them watching blu ray quality movies instead of shitty generation prints on vhs
>>
>>81641902
Reptilicus is equal to the worst MST3K ever did. I'm genuinely surprised they decided to lead with it as both the movie and the riffs are flat.
>>
>>81639316
Get out anon, pay for a Netflix subscription like God intended. Like the new MST3K says, keep circulating the link http://www.mst3k.com/
>>
Watching Reptilicus right now. Should I just skip this if the other episodes are much better?
>>
>>81639381
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inOmUh1AebE
>>
>>81642674
It's the worst of the bunch I've seen so far, so maybe.
>>
File: average american women.gif (691KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
average american women.gif
691KB, 350x500px
>>81642664
>paying for things
>>
im really surprised you guys actually watched this.
i was expecting nonstop shitposting on release.
>>
>>81642844
What did you think this was Rick and Morty? They didn't mention szechuan sauce even once in this.
>>
is the hallway being a miniature bothering anyone else?
>>
>>81643061
No, the hallways are always miniature.
>>
too many callbacks to old riffs
>>
>>81641416
seriously this over and over. these new mst3k threads are full of (what I assume to be) underage faggots complaining about:

>host segments not that funny
>every joke doesn't tickle my sides just right
>oh no topical humor that is relevant to the year I live in

when literally 85% of classic old-school MST3k is like this. Please fuck off to triggering Star Wars fans in the the 72 new Last Jedi threads that have been posted in the past 24 hours.
>>
New guy is great. Very likable.

Can't stand the new Gypsy. Tom Servo voice actor tries way to hard. I also hate the flying Tom thing.

Not a fan of Felicia Day at all. Although I don't like Patton Oswalt he's tolerable in this show.

Jokes are fairly good. A bit dry at times.
>>
>>81643061
The hallways were always miniature, and no. Honestly they're my favorite part of the revival.
>>
>>81641136

The 3 I mentioned have nothing to do with the writing, and its not a big issue ... its a tiny one, that you arent worth getting into with, but Ill summarize, they claim to speak for nerds, but that isnt an election you can run in. Nobody pronounced them King or Queen other than themselves and their own circles, which is ohhhh wait ... each other.
>>
>>81641528

Holy Shit , was this just the equivalent of announcing your blocking someone on Twitter? Did you scream BLOCKED on top of your normal screeching ?
>>
you guys realize that you're not obligated to watch this series in order right? If you are seriously concerned with the canon of the host segments you are watching this show in the worst way possible
>>
>>81635192

this. way too many tryhard jokes one after the other and it just gets ridiculously obnoxious
>>
>>81641718

I can name 30 movies with better material than any of these, Ive watched shitty movies for a very long time, So I know the difference in Unwatchable / Just Bad / Bad / So Bad they are good
>>
>>81626041
You need an opinion to form an opinion
Not sure if troll
>>
They're writing Crow as if Trace Beaulieu was still performing him. In Cry Wilderness there was a line that started with "What's this..." which used to be delivered by as an impression of the narration in the '60s Batman. The new guy just said it normally.

I'd really like them to let the new guys find their own gags.
>>
>>81640477
that's because you are empty inside and have attached too much nostalgic value to old episodes because it reminds you of a simple time when you weren't a pathetic neet with unfulfilled potential posting on a mongolian cartoon image board on a friday night/saturday morning.

Either that or you are an underage faggot who binged this show last minute because you thought it might be the new hotness.

The point being, either way you should probably kill yourself, fanboy
>>
>>81636459
>>81636516

really makes me want to just watch the old seasons again. which i will.

can't get used to the new voices on the robots
would much rather they just made new robots instead of bastardizing crow, servo and gypsy, i.e. shoehorning in new shit to capitalize on the older material that was fine just the way it was

but thats what pretty much any reboot shit is nowadays, just anally fucking original material with a new bullshit filter because its the popular flavor of the week
>>
>>81643357
so what was it like watching MST3k for the first time?
>>
>>81643491
And as I was typing this there was a reference to Jon Lovitz's "Yeah...that's the ticket" guy from SNL (30 years ago) that was delivered wrong. Stop making these guys reference things they don't know.
>>
3 episodes in and so far the 3rd is the best.

not like the first 2 were bad. I agree that the riffs are more machinegun which is good and bad as I see less development of jokes over a movie in favor of constant riffs.

I enjoy the 4th wall breaking and the attempting to feel like a TV show with the breaks and live band. Im not a fan of the people who play the mads this time but I cant say they don't do a good job and their segments are short enough to not get in the way.

The effects are great and I love the clear prints of the films vs the old nasty ones with crap audio sometimes. My only complaint is the lighting and sets are too "clean". They went with doctors office lighting instead of grungy spaceship.
>>
>>81637591

he's in minimal parts but every fuckin time its just unbearable
>>
>>81639253

yeah it was pretty fucking atrocious. really wish theyd kept that idea in the trash
>>
>>81643582
The singer in the band during the opening looks like Jon Lovitz
>>
>>81639519

rifftrax is excellent. so many great movies and riffs. Roadhouse was the first and for many is still the best
>>
>>81624210
I guess this will hold me over until my rifftrax kickstarter rewards finally come in.
>>
>>81641113

it's a hate-fuck kinda thing for me
>>
>>81643651
It's like pottery, it rhymes
>>
Got half way onto the first episode.. Hated the intro.. The cast is crigy.. Didnt liek the riffs.. Watched the old one since the 90s. Its reddit tier nerd culture garbage..
>>
>>81642316
nowhere
>>
seriously, why are some of you faggots so triggered by Oswalt? If it's because he said something silly on twitter then you are without a doubt a way bigger piece of shit gaylord than Patton is on his worst day
>>
>They got rid of Gypsy's falsetto voice

REEEEEEEEE
>>
>>81641718
>the only thing 4Chan likes is Hitler and Trump.

This made me laugh
>>
>>81644287
what is it now?
>>
Haven't started it yet, but to be fair, wasn't seasons 1 and 2 of the original pretty meh?
>>
>>81644464
generic midwestern female

they call it out saying that Johana reprogramed it to his liking

has every host fucked gypsy?
>>
>>81644513
It gets lonely on the SOL.
>>
>>81644513
shes a vacuum cleaner

they've all been alone on a space station with nothing else
>>
Everyone complaining about there being too many riffs should go back and watch some of the episodes from like season 7 onward.

They were just as non-stop back then.
>>
File: dfw.jpg (72KB, 1158x650px) Image search: [Google]
dfw.jpg
72KB, 1158x650px
$100 backer here, enjoying the fuck out of it
>>
>>81644873
I like how I'll never have to eat shit and convince myself I like it because I paid $100 to eat said shit that I can't get back.
>>
File: 1403750775825.jpg (77KB, 750x563px) Image search: [Google]
1403750775825.jpg
77KB, 750x563px
>>81644916
or you know, I actually enjoy it.
>>
I'm not big on the random celeb cameos in the Mad skits. NPH and then fucking Seinfeld showing up feels really jarring and pointless. Hoping there won't be much more like that in the coming episodes (finishing Starcrash now). Gypsy's voice doesn't fit at all and it bugs the shit out of me.

Outside of that, it's all been pretty decent so far. Time Travelers and Avalanche were especially funny.
>>
>>81644487
Assuming you mean Season 1 is KTMA and 2 is the first Comedy Central Season, that would go towards confirming my theory that MST3K is shit without Mike Nelson and Kevin Murphy on board.
>>
>>81644873
Buyers remorse?
>>
I'm not seeing any consensus. Do I like this or not?
>>
>>81645084
If you were a backer, you think it's amazing. If you weren't, it's pretty weak.
>>
>>81644873
Same here. I regret nothing.

>>81645233
I genuinely wonder how true that is.
>>
Does anyone have the poledance webm of felicia day?
>>
>>81645277
Like, it sounds like I'm being edgy or trolling or some shit. But honestly, everyone I've spoken about it that was a backer thinks it's great, and everyone that I spoke to that wasn't a backer thinks it's mediocre. And keep in mind, everyone in this sample size are big MST3K fans.
>>
>>81645368
I never watched MST3k before this, and I'm also not a backer, and think it's better than mediocre
>>
>>81645368
Obviously the purchase will affect their judgment, but I think the main difference is that people who pay for things are more likely to have a positive attitude about it, so they see the good aspects. People who pirate are generally more negative because they judge based on what they would have payed (and 'lost'), so they pick on the flaws as a way of justifying not paying for it.

Either way the answer is to think for yourself.
>>
>>81645435
>I never watched MST3k before this
So you have no frame of reference, then.

go to "www dot club-mst3k dot com" and sort the episodes by laughs. The fan favorite is "The Final Sacrifice" but I'd recommend "Space Mutiny" for top MST3K quality.

Don't watch "Manos The Hands of Fate" until you've got some experience. It's not for novices.
>>
Are any of the movies they watched in the show (reboot or otherwise) genuinely scary? I'm a huge pussy about schlocky horror so I've always stuck with episodes of other genres.
>>
>>81645566
I'm not a horror fan at all and I can't think of a single episode that bothered me. Maybe Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders as that was trying to be an "Amazing Stories" with a bit of a horror slant, but that's about it.
>>
>>81645525
Yeah, but I was just offering a different perspective than those who were/weren't backers but big fans of MST3k previously. And that was I found it reasonably enjoyable.
>>
>>81645631
And that's fine, I'm just saying if you think the Netflix shows are good the classic ones are gonna blow you away.
>>
>>81635628
The 90s wasn't "equal" you dumb faggot, there was still a clear distinction of what separated male from female, and that was okay.
>>
File: a.jpg (43KB, 436x600px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
43KB, 436x600px
The Return is acceptable. I got used to everything pretty quickly. The movies so far are great material which pushed me into accepting it so quickly.

Also, the guy who sends the movies is an obvious tribute to C. Martin Croker as Moltar and his lever ;_; (if it's not that that's some mega coincidence)
>>
>>81634309
>They didn't explain what the fuck Tom and Crow are doing on the Satellite of Love and that irks me.

I headcanon it away by saying that Camel Forrester built copies of the bots to recreate the conditions of the original SoL. Almost like the plot of Metal Gear Solid 2.
>>
>>81645753
Yeah that's pretty implied. What with the new Satellite of Love, and having her Skeleton Crew actually sing the theme song.
>>
>>81640677
>There's still the old series and Mike & everyone at Rifftrax, so it's not all too bad.

This. There's plenty of the original series and Rifftrax that I haven't seen yet, so it's not like there's a lack of this type of thing to watch from the people that I like.
>>
File: 1260764288566.jpg (50KB, 400x445px) Image search: [Google]
1260764288566.jpg
50KB, 400x445px
>no mike

enjoy your cruddy pop culture references disguised as jokes
>>
>>81642056
I really didn't get that either. Why were random bubbles going across the screen during the Carvel Ice Cream invention exchange? Shit was distracting.
>>
>>81645815
I highly recommend Battlefield Earth and Willy Wonka.
>>
>>81627973
so far (watching episode 1 right now) the host segments have been take or leave for me for the most part. The invention exchange was decent but, I admit I probably liked it for nostalgic purposes (i.e. Although, I preferred the Mike era it was nice and "comfy" to sorta briefly get a Joel-era feeling), Felicia Day did bring the moment down though, as did the fact that the NuMads didn't do their own invention. Hopefully, this changes with the other episodes.

>>81626303
>There is a reason they stopped doing the invention exchange at peak series popularity.

Yeah because, it didn't fit Mike's style. I'm not totally sure if it fits Jonah's style either but, who knows? They might get rid of it next season.

>The live band? Why?
Yeah, I got nothing.

>The premise of days and oswalts characters arent good

I'm indifferent about their premises.

>Honestly watching makes me reminisce for nelson
Well, yeah. But, Michael J. Nelson coming back to MST3K for anything other than some sort of cameo is a lost cause so all I can hope is that maybe the new writing staff has a guy on it who is close to, equally, or maybe even more funny than Nelson & that they promote him to head writer in the next season (or maybe they just need to hire a new writer or so to get to prime Nelson quality). Remember, that Nelson was writing on the 1st Comedy Central season but, the show didn't begin to hit it's stride until he was promoted to head writer.

It's a bunch of new guys writing who, so far, don't seem terrible just not as good as when M. Nelson was in charge. So I'm willing to give them that the writing could improve big time in the next season. May they figure out who the best of the new blood is, promote him to head writer, maybe hire/replace a couple of the weaker writers on the staff with better writers and hopefully next season will be a major improvement.

>brain guy bobo
they're not THAT bad. Stay tuned for the next post where I bash (probably too lightly) into Felicia Day
>>
>>81645922
Willy Wonka I've seen, and I liked that one, but I'll have to check out Battlefield Earth.

For whatever reason, my favorite stuff that they've done is the weird Chrismas movies (Santa and the Ice Cream Bunny, Magic Christmas Tree, Santa's Village of Madness, Star Wars Holiday Special, etc). That's become my annual December tradition.

Overall, Fun in Balloon Land just might be my favorite non-Christmas thing that they've done.
>>
>>81624210
>enjoy your cruddy pop culture references disguised as jokes

What did you think you were watching?
>>
>>81645980
>>81626303

>and pearl
yeah... I can't disagree. And this is where my light Felicia Day bashing comes in. She's not...very convincing is she? Whatever you may think of how the show jumped the shark when "Did I mention my mother is here?" happened, Mary Jo Pehl had (and maybe still has?) pretty damn good comedic chops & timing and she was CONVINCING as a domineering force. With Felicia Day's character I'm pretty much waiting for some 'plot twist' reveal that she herself is a lacky and there's someone in charge of her. lol. To Patton Oswald's credit at least I can somewhat believe his character being TV Frank's son. I don't believe Felicia Day being a Forrester.

>Crow is and always will be best part of show
Well, that certainly seems to be the case with the new show, anyway.

Okay just watched the beginning of the 2nd episode and.. HOLY FUCK ARE THEY GOING TO JUST REPLAY THE SEQUENCE FROM THE 1ST EPISODE FOR THEIR 'OPENING THEME' EVERY TIME? god, that's infuriating. I know it's more important and sensible for the writing to improve but, christ, I can't but right now feel that the OP is the weakest element of the show.
>>
Any shorts in the new season?
>>
>all of these fucking shills trying to push their agenda saying "it doesn't matter if the host segments suck. The host segments never mattered!"

Host segments were the funniest parts of the entire series.
You shills are completely wrong. Your efforts to subvert my opinion of your shitty show having failed.
>>
>>81646719
>people sharing honest criticisms they have about the reboot but, also pointing out what they like about it
>no one in thread saying it's as good as Comedy Central Mike era
>shills

Is this gonna be like femGhostbusters all over again?

>So yeah, the new Ghostbusters movie wasn't as good as original, it had a couple okay/kinda funny moments I guess but, overall it was.. enh? I mean, you could certainly do worst with your money, I suppose. I can't believe people were fighting over this of all movies.
>"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DIDN'T THINK IT WAS 0/10 WORST MOVIE EVER, YOU FUCKING SHILL! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE"
>>
>>81643531
You are a moron with no taste for comedy. If you can't discern the quality between new MST3K and the old you're either deluding yourself or a complete fucking idiot.
>>
File: 1341248803963.jpg (369KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1341248803963.jpg
369KB, 1920x1200px
>Velociwalrus
>Beaglebot vs Horsetapus
>Snaketological Duckopalypse vs Proto-Puffin
>Shark-Heatindexwarning

Fucking magical.
>>
>>81643395
>So I know the difference in Unwatchable / Just Bad / Bad / So Bad they are good
Interestingly this is the exact same rating method they use on The Flop House podcast co-hosted by Elliott Kalan, head writer for the MST3K reboot
>>
>>81624210

Patton Oswalt?

Nope, not watching that untalented pig face druggie.
>>
>>81648216
a joke?
>>
>>81635139
> based tiny jew writer, I also hope he gets some more work
>>
>>81635139
>also, since I've listened to so much Flophouse and am familiar with his sense of humor, I was hearing a lot of the jokes in Elliott Kalan's voice and kind of want him to be one of the bots for season 2. (he was the head writer)
You could really smell an Elliott joke from a mile away if you know his sense of humor, and that's unfortunate because it's him writing for himself and note for the voice of the character. Elliott can deliver HIS jokes when HE says them, but when the cast did it it really fell flat.
Would you call that poor writing, or poor directing? I'm not sure, it's probably a combination of both.
>>
It's okay, not as good as the old stuff but I got a lot of laughs. My main complains are that joke pacing can be a little wonky, and Tom's new voice isn't very good.
>>
1 and a half episodes in because I fell asleep watching the second last night. I feel like the first episode they were just too excited that they were making an mst3k reboot. It was like 15 minutes of "plot" before it started which I don't really mind but it made a bit distracting for me just because it's so not Mst. The original with Mike and Joel had very minimal fanfare and the robots and the satellite of love weren't even that big of a deal, it was more about the movie and making fun of it. It felt kind of over done and distracting. The jokes are pretty funny but jesus they need to slow down, it's like 1000 jokes a second.

Tldr: I'm rambling
>>
I'm wondering how they got har mar superstar to do the intro
>>
>>81653147
All the original talent was Midwestern with a goofy sense of humor. Har Mar is a Midwesterner with a goofy sense of humor. It seems like an oddly natural pairing.

Of course the truth is probably just as simple as he's friends with somebody involved. Who on the current cast seems most likely to enjoy blasting lines and going dancing?
>>
>>81634227
>maybe you should goto a board like >>>/v/ where they discuss everything but what the board is for
Fuck you, that's why I like /v/
>>
>>81653237
Jonah? I didn't know har mar was a Midwesterner, it makes more sense when you put it that way. It was a pretty funny surprise when I noticed it
>>
>>81637943
Too busy making a movie to make fun of others
>>
>>81640612
>>81640677
>>81645815
Is there any way to watch the original series?
>>
>When you recognize the skeleton crew's cover song and realize the subtext
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFsgWYTdQg0
>>
>>81646337
>arguing about the quality of the host segments on mst3k

holy shit kill yourself or just jump ahead to the movie segments why the fuck are you autismo about the quality of the mads
>>
>>81647501
when we both sink into the dark abyss of death I hope you reflect on how your "flawless" robot-quip show got ruined while I smile like a moron at a life enjoyed
>>
Would you guys consider watching a movie via mst as actually watching the movie? Like, have I seen the girl in gold boots because I saw it on mst or do I have to actually watch the girl in gold boots to add it to my watched list?
>>
File: Saxon.jpg (126KB, 600x314px) Image search: [Google]
Saxon.jpg
126KB, 600x314px
>>81654567
Not really. MST3K heavily edits movies, not just for content but for time. Mitchell completely cuts out the dune buggy chase, only for them to make a riff about John Saxon disappearing. Don't blame the movie for your shitty edits.
>>
>>81641528
kys please
>>
>>81654567
I don't add them to my watched list. MST3K is a transformative work.
>>
Surprised they let murderer Patton Oswalt work in the show.
>>
>>81654567
>>81654671
Well, do you add movies you see on TV/airplanes? Because those have a tendency to be censored and edited too. What if you watch a director's cut that's very different from the theatrical cut? Or what specific cut of Blade Runner really counts as seeing it?

That kind of thinking is a rabbit hole.
>>
>>81655030
You've only seen a film if you've seen the original theatrical cut in theaters on opening night.
>>
>>81655064
In theaters on opening night? Pleb. I only see movies on the festival circuit before they have distribution and someone with common sense comes in to shave off 15 unnecessary minutes.
>>
I hate everything associated with Chris Hardwick.
>>
>>81654029
>>81654029
>>81654029
Is there any way? I remember there being a torrent back in the day that had all the original seasons (including 0), but it was well over 64GB. Does that still exist or is there something better?
>>
>>81645045
Kevin was there for the entire show's run and Mike was for every Comedy Central season.
>>
>>81641663
I really enjoyed the monster song.
>>
>>81655294
>not editing your own torrented dailies together from movies still in production and watching that

This board is flooded with plebs
>>
>>81645566
>>81645608

Manos is genuinely unsettling.
>>
>>81655030
I honestly count them as half a viewing
>>
>>81645734

The "Movie in the hole!" guy is Joel
>>
>>81655583
It's really hard to find the right tone for "zombie child bride."
>>
>>81655614
>No "Push the button, Max!"
Also, what's the idea with the liquid technology? Just weirdness for weirdness' sake?
>>
>>81655555
First
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 225x225px
>>81655555
>>
>>81655555
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiJylMyfu9I
>>
>>81655583
I watched a panel of the MST3K crew once, and they all had really bad memories of working on Manos. They all compared it to a snuff film, and Mike's wife said she refused to watch the movie ever again.
>>
File: 1475482532875.gif (2MB, 374x254px) Image search: [Google]
1475482532875.gif
2MB, 374x254px
>>81655555
Oh shit. I winrar
>>
File: FeelTheWrathofFatSting.jpg (214KB, 1108x728px) Image search: [Google]
FeelTheWrathofFatSting.jpg
214KB, 1108x728px
I get the criticisms about which jokes/characters people feel fall short. But the movie selection for this season is seriously on-fucking-point.
>>
>>81656032
Ehh.... Honestly I didn't watch the original series until two years ago. It feels like the same quality. I'm starting to think a lot of people's issue with this is change. Although I will say the jokes are non-stop this time around.
>>
>>81655583
>>81645566
Manos isn't really scary so much as it is extremely creepy. It's like hanging out with a member of NAMBLA for an hour.
>>
>>81655572
>Not working as a camera man and literally see the movie being made in front of your very eyes through the camera lens, one failed take at a time.

It's like you don't even love cinema.
>>
Has their ever been a movie on MST3K you believe is actually not that bad a flick?

I think Screaming Skull actually has a good, well, decent plot. Remade to be less silly it would probably be a good thriller
>>
>>81656066
>I'm starting to think a lot of people's issue with this is change

DING DING DING! We have a winner.
>>
File: 1459136717448.png (1MB, 1042x868px) Image search: [Google]
1459136717448.png
1MB, 1042x868px
>maybe it's autism filled vaccinations.
Made me ugly laugh honestly.
>>
>>81656066
So far 3 episodes in the pace of the jokes are generally a lot faster. Old mst3k felt like it had a little bit better timing, this one has times where they fit in jokes back to back to back at rapid fire and it doesn't really give you a chance to laugh at anything. I still think the return is funny but it's just a flaw I noticed this one has that the old didnt. You don't notice the subtleties of the original until you compare it to the new.
>>
>>81656155
Time Chasers has a good plot on a microbudget. Overdrawn at the Memory Bank didn't even have that, but Raul is still great in it.

Daddy-O is a perfect 50's B-movie with hot dames and fast cars.
>>
>>81655583
Plus, you can imagine that the actor who played Torgo committed suicide because of some terrible secret he stumbled across in the filming of that movie eroded his will to live.

Of course, in truth he was just a guy struggling with depression. But it's spookier to imagine a connection with the flick.
>>
>>81656237
The actress who played Debbie said that Torgo's actor was hoping this would be his big break (he had left his military father at the time and lived in a tiny house, only finding any satisfaction from local acting troupes), but his slow realization that Manos would be a bad movie made him come to the conclusion that his life wasn't gonna get better.

Sucks, because if he waited it out 30 more years, he could've gone to tons of conventions as Torgo and regaled loving audiences with production stories.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>81656201
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is the comfiest fucking movie. If I had never seen it, but you asked me to imagine 80's PBS making a thriller, I'd probably come up with something about 90% similar.

It's the most vaporwave movie of all time. They should be making a big budget sequel to it instead of the stupid fucking Blade Runner sequel or bad Ghost in the Shell this year.
>>
>>81656137
>Not being a high ranking ceo at a major movie production company and creating your own private AAA kinos that you keep in your own vault that only you will see while also producing garbage capeshit that the populous eats up and eventually degrade the artistic integrity of film so that you can be the only one who can have access to any kino

Step up or go back to that site we all hate
>>
>>81656352
There was a non-MST3K Overdrawn thread on /tv/ a few months back that was purdy good
>>
>>81656155
I actually thought The Violent Years, written by Ed Wood of all people, was actually pretty decent
>>
File: Ed Wood.gif (888KB, 500x269px) Image search: [Google]
Ed Wood.gif
888KB, 500x269px
>>81656589
>female rape
God damn it Ed, I love you.
>>
File: poe-dameron.jpg (209KB, 1108x721px) Image search: [Google]
poe-dameron.jpg
209KB, 1108x721px
Oscar Isaac is great as the villain in this Wizards of the Lost Kingdom.
>>
>>81656155
I'm blanking on the name but one of the monster movies that was a blatant King Kong rip off, set in England I think, was actually surprisingly good.
>>
>>81656671
I always thought his early work, before he sold out to Hollywood, was too good to last.
>>
>>81655583
>>81645608
>>81645566

That one sci-fi channel episode where the guy sells his soul to Satan to buy that witch back her youth was really quite disturbing as well.
>>
>>81645525
>www dot club-mst3k dot com

Blood Waters of Dr. Z aka ZAAT is WAY too fucking low on that list.

That fucker is a masterpiece.
>>
>>81646515
>>
>>81634227
Is there a board where you can go to discuss your autism, you weird fucker?
>>
so no link
>>
>>81657152
>>81646515
nah
>>
>Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy cameo

They're never gonna show up again are they?
>>
>>81657266
Mary Jo seems to be hanging around a lot, but that's probably all we'll get from Bill and Kevin.

If this thing gets a second season, I expect they'll bring Trace and Frank back full time, they're the only ones who have never had a successful enterprise of their own after MST3K.
Thread posts: 340
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.