[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post your Cosmic Horror concepts

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: cosmic.jpg (284KB, 668x902px) Image search: [Google]
cosmic.jpg
284KB, 668x902px
I think one of the biggest issues is too movies trying to directly ape Lovecraft and focus mostly on tentacle monsters, which to me is missing the point.

They should really just start with 19th/early 20th century-themed adventures and work their way up to the more dreadful revelations.

I'd much rather see archaeologists exploring lost ruins from times immemorial, monuments and tombs and inscriptions so old that they could only come from civilizations that long predate any known human societies.

There's just so much opportunity to give audiences the feeling of being unbearably small and insignificant in the grand scheme of things, how there could've been entire epochs of prehistoric societies and cults worshiping unknown deities from beyond our dimension. Maybe start with civilizations that came hundreds of thousands of years before the ancient Sumerians. And then trace back another several million years before that.

Then you can slowly have the cosmic horror aspect seep in as each discovery becomes ever more unsettling and humanity's role and ultimate insignificance is gradually revealed.
>>
You'd need a really, really good crew to put it together. Lovecraft's horror is evoking a reaction in the reader because of how the narrator refuses to directly acknowledge what is happening. That's really hard to do visually for more than one or two scenes.

desu, the guys who did Sicario could probably pull it off. Almost half that whole movie was people setting up for something to happen then it all goes down in like 10 seconds.
>>
>>81593423
the most important thing all directors forget is that you don't show the monster also if you havent seen "the colour out of space" b&w movie its a good adaption NOT perfect but good
>>
>>81593609
>the most important thing all directors forget is that you don't show the monster
I think you can but you have to be really careful with it, look at The Thing and maybe even Alien.
>>
>>81593609
>the most important thing all directors forget is that you don't show the monster

This is true. I think they show the alien more in the trailer for the new Alien movie than they did in the entirety of the original
>>
>>81593423
so this one guys is in an old house out in some farm country
and there's something outside his house but it's unknown and never shown
and this guy has a picture of some tentacles on his wall in the living room

the end
>>
File: 1491619845143.jpg (40KB, 480x380px) Image search: [Google]
1491619845143.jpg
40KB, 480x380px
>>81593990
more like
>this one guy and his family live on a farm and one day a meteor crashes into his land. soon the plants start rotting then the water is poisoned soon the animal develop sores and lesions and must be put down the meat tainted. one day one of the sons goes missing by the well, the mother goes mad and is locked into the attic something was on that meteor something that SUCKS the life out of all things
>>
>>81593423
You'd LOVE Prometheus. It's so good bro
>>
>>81593423
your idea sounds like black mountainside.
you should check it out.
>>
Good cosmic horror works:

IT (discounting all the extra explanations)
The Mist
True Detective
Event Horizon
Alien (discount rest of series)
Twin Peaks
Blair Witch series
The Borderlands (movie)
Some others I can't recall now

Any works where the villains are described or categorized are excluded. Ironically, that includes most of the Cthulhu mythos.
>>
>>81593667
Also see juassic park. Everyone wanted to see the dilophosaurus - bummer. T-rex - bummer.

>There are going to be, uh, dinosaurs, uh, on this, uh, dinosaur tour, right? Hello?
>What happened to the goat?
>>
>>81594858
Event Horizon was so fun

Don't need to waste so much time with build up. I liked the pace
>>
It's not about weather to show the monster or not. The monster is such a none part of what makes Lovecraftian horror what it is, you could literally write it out and still retain all the elements that makes something Lovecraftian. Sadly, most people who attempt to homage his work in some way don't seem to get this.
>>
>>81594970
Truly is the best sci fi horror concept I've seen. So underrated
>>
I would adapt Uzumaki as a ten ep tv show, only one season...bonus points if made in nihon, nightmare mode: with nihones that can act..
>>
>>81594938

Are you retarded or something?
>>
I can't believe this was Disney's response to Star Wars.

Essentially a haunted house in space tale that actually broached the question of the darkness behind the stars. Underrated
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.